By Chance

What Are The Chances...?

"So you're his...," Baekhyun pauses, disbelief very much apparent in his eyes, "...dad?"

 

"Yes?" Chanyeol half asks, starting off, a long awkward pause passes them by before he finishes, "it's complicated."

 

Baekhyun couldn't even begin to think as to what's so complicated with that, but he still can't believe the handsome man sitting right before him as he stands is Park Jungsoo's father. He wouldn't really think twice. They actually have got quite the resemblance, but something just looks wrong...so amiss--something Baekhyun couldn't exactly pinpoint as to what. Maybe it's because of Jungsoo's father's youthful aura that doesn't make him look like a father at all. Thinking about it, Jungsoo's father does look quite a bit irresponsible and someone who'd promote cartoon violence and unhealthy food options, though. More like an uncle, really. But then again... it's not in Baekhyun's position to lecture Jungsoo's dad or judge him as to how he should manage his son and how he should act like... or should he...?

 

"Baekhyun hyung!" Jungsoo exclaims, coming out from the kitchen once he's finished his milk. "I told you my appa would come!" He bounces over to Chanyeol's lap.

 

Not so long ago, it was awkward when Baekhyun had Chanyeol coming in his house after standing across each other over at the front door for almost 3 minutes and over the living room for a talk. It took a lot of awkward silences and pregnant pauses, before Chanyeol told Jungsoo to finish his milk at the kitchen as Baekhyun and him have a little chat and over coffee that Baekhyun had made as fast as he could, apologizing that he doesn't have anything other than said beverage at the moment. Chanyeol said that was fine and actually took a few sips to start. Baekhyun explained briefly why he had a cup of milk in hand as he opened the door, reason being Jungsoo unable to sleep so he had to go get milk at 2 in the morning! Chanyeol said sorry at that. But Chanyeol also had his fair share in explaining the what, when, where, why, and how of whatever situation befell him that he was unable to get Jungsoo at the set time 7 pm apparently already yesterday. Baekhyun also said that they waited until about 9 pm in front of the daycare, even before deciding further to take Jungsoo to his house. Chanyeol said sorry at that too. But when Chanyeol doesn't even ask as to what made Baekhyun resort to that kind of thinking seeing as though he's only a volunteer, Baekhyun had answered the unquestioned question saying that Joonmyun, the owner of the daycare, apparently had issues at home and needed to get home fast. Baekhyun, however, left out his stupidity of having locked up the shutter of the daycare even before he could get a hold of Jungsoo's address or even ask Joonmyun through a text of Jungsoo's father's phone number. 

 

Oh, he also leaves out that it took him almost 3 minutes to welcome Chanyeol to his house because he found him utterly—if not superbly—attractive standing right at his doorstep—that he'd almost mistook him as a handsome stranger to his rescue, if not for Jungsoo blaring out and loud "Appa!”

 

But as Baekhyun now looks over to Jungsoo and Chanyeol on his lounge and dear God save him 'They're being adorable', he can't help but trip—if not fall—a little teeny weeny more, because he just doesn't know but he finds it an endearing sight to see. Baekhyun's not really one for the dad effect. No, he doesn't want a sugar daddy. He's not one for wrecking marriages or anything of the sort, but when he observes both Chanyeol's hands he doesn't find a ring or anything to justify he's married so he sort of assumes he's a single dad or something to that effect. But isn’t this nice? The image right before him of Jungsoo and Chanyeol being affectionate in his living room.


But yes, it was sort of attraction at first sight for Baekhyun when he'd seen Chanyeol right at his door step. What he's observing now must be tons of bonus points. So he sits across them finally, taking in what he could while it lasts, over his unfinished coffee. He watches Jungsoo smile so wide right in front of Chanyeol.


"You must be Baekhyun then," Chanyeol distracts him, finally sitting Jungsoo beside him. 

 

"Ah, yes!" Baekhyun exclaims, standing up and bowing. "I forgot to introduce myself earlier, Mr. Park. I'm Byun Baekhyun."

 

"Please, drop the formalities," Chanyeol insists. "You may just be a few years younger than me."

 

"I am?" Baekhyun looks at him in disbelief again, returning to his seat. "I'm 21."

 

"Ah, we're two years apart," Chanyeol says. "I don't really like being called hyung either. You could just call me Chanyeol, really. It's short and simple like that."

 

Baekhyun only nods, before turning to his side for a moment to find out Jungsoo's now sitting beside him and leaning in. He takes a moment to mentally calculate in his mind. That if Jungsoo's 5, then Chanyeol got him when he was just 18? What a shock! A lot of things run in his mind then. He's really curious about Jungsoo's mother and whether or not Jungsoo is a child out of wedlock and isn't it that it was normally the mother getting the baby? But whatever happened? Is Jungsoo's mother dead? What does Jungsoo have to say to this? But he's distracted when Chanyeol laughs, deep and velvety in tone, but only for a moment when he remarks, "You must also be the volunteer hyung who Jungsoo said stared too much on his first day from the daycare."

 

Baekhyun suppresses the blush coming onto him, but looks outright embarrassed for a moment. He doesn't even know if he's blushing because of Chanyeol's deep laugh or because Jungsoo even shared that little fact.

 

"But he does talk about you a lot," Chanyeol recovers. "Every after daycare, telling me about his favorite hyung who would tickle him and poke fun of his cheeks like I do."

 

"Appa, I can hear you!" Jungsoo at the side almost bursts out from embarrassment, slumping further and further on his seat and onto the floor. 

 

Now Baekhyun looks over at Jungsoo with audacity, looking thoughtful for a moment and internally screaming that yes! he's Jungsoo's favorite hyung. He messes Jungsoo's hair, probably lifting Jungsoo from his embarrassment before returning all attention to Chanyeol again as he speaks.

 

"It amazes me, though. I mean, he's not really so fond of my friends when they come over," Chanyeol snorts, gives Jungsoo a wide stare over his figure on the floor and it takes just that and Jungsoo's sitting beside Baekhyun again. Baekhyun doesn't say that if anything, it doesn't even look scary but more like borderline creepy. "I mean he kicks my friend Jongin!" Chanyeol almost exclaims, "But I wouldn't really wonder because he's such an ."

 

Strike 6 clicks in Baekhyun's mind from that little statement: definitely bad language. Strike 5 is Chanyeol's too young to care face, mind you.

 

"But you seem really nice and I could tell Jungsoo really likes you. I'm jealous." 

 

Baekhyun beams teasingly at that and Chanyeol squints his eyes, in over exaggeration that he thinks Baekhyun’s beam is too bright but not really spiteful in action. If anything, he thinks it's pleasant that he actually smiles back as well. Once again, all negative thoughts about Chanyeol that Baekhyun's thinking of goes down the drain.

 

"But anyway," Chanyeol coos Jungsoo over and looks at his wrist watch that apparently reads half past three in the morning now. "I really don't know how to thank you enough. I know it was really irresponsible of me to have left him. I could only be relieved that at least he ended up with you. I hope he wasn't trouble enough, seeing that you couldn't even sleep and it's 3 in the morning."

 

"Not at all," Baekhyun shakes his head. "Well, it did kind of caught me off guard. But Jungsoo and I had so much fun, right?" he looks over Jungsoo, wrapped up in his daddy's arms again.

 

"Yes!" the response almost comes out like a squeak from Jungsoo.

 

Chanyeol appreciates the honesty and everything really and whispers to Jungsoo's ear, "Say thank you to Baekhyun hyung."


Jungsoo ends up doing so much more than that, because he actually jumps off of Chanyeol and bounces over to where Baekhyun is seated and hugs him, "Thank you, hyung," and kisses both his cheeks. "You should sleep now, too! Don't let the bed bugs bite, okay?"


Chanyeol wouldn't admit it all too soon, but the picture gives him a sense of warmth and security or maybe something even better. Jungsoo and Baekhyun, it could work, he thinks. But he'd have to get to know Baekhyun more and maybe pop the pretty question later, if whether or not Baekhyun would be willing to help him out in taking care of Jungsoo and looking out for him. At least, in the daycare and maybe... just maybe... bother Baekhyun a little bit in having to take Jungsoo home in times like this one when he's accidentally hit by irresponsibility and couldn't even fetch his son on time from said daycare.

 

So Chanyeol walks over and extends a hand to Baekhyun, "It was really nice finally meeting you, Baekhyun."

 

Baekhyun of course accepts the hand extended to him and tries not to squeeze too much pressure in the handshake. 


"It was nice meeting you as well, Chanyeol."

 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

So what are the chances that Park Jungsoo leads Park Chanyeol to Byun Baekhyun?


 

Hmmm.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A/N:
 
I just really had to post before I sleep. It's 1:54 AM in here.