Warming Up

What Are The Chances...?

It takes Baekhyun a week before Jungsoo warms up to him.

 

It takes a week just as well that Baekhyun doesn't see Jungsoo's dad ever. Because it's either he goes home earlier with Kyungsoo before mysterious dad arrives or mysterious dad's always speeding off as soon as he gets his hands on Jungsoo or they just never cross paths and maybe it's just not meant to be. Jungsoo doesn't even offer introducing his dad to him, but not like it's obligatory on the kid's part anyway. But Baekhyun feels the need to pout, because isn't he close enough to Jungsoo for him to even mention him to his dad...or his mom? Thinking about it, Jungsoo never mentions the existence of a mom. If anything, he's only ever mentioning my dad my dad my dad like he's all he has.

 

But anyway, he could now tickle Jungsoo at the sides like it's nobody's business and poke fun of his cheeks. Jungsoo tells him his dad likes to poke fun of his cheeks too and sometimes tickle him awake. Jungsoo tells him a lot about his daddy and their fun times together. Jungsoo always says that his dad is cool and that he is tall and someone that he'd want to be like him when he grows up. But then again, kids always say that and somewhere along the line of growing up, they somehow forget.

 

All the kids are jealous of Jungsoo and crowded like obedient little kids right at Kyungsoo's feet for a week, seeming as though they'll do anything for their Kyungsoo oppa with the snap of his fingers.

 

So Kyungsoo makes way over to Baekhyun during a particular break time as the kids eat, lectures him about favoritism and its likely effects.

 

"If you've noticed, you've got a lot of fangirls. I feel happy they're crowding over me now, but at least cut me some slack and stop the favoritism Baek. It has likely effects, negatives ones that could result in that," Kyungsoo points at Jungsoo now, with Soojung hovering over him with crossed arms over her chest. Jungsoo just looks at Soojung with a lack of interest, looking like he's waiting for the worst to happen, his body trembling in fear that doesn’t show on his face.

 

Baekhyun looks alarmed at the situation happening right in front of him. He doesn't even know it's happening, if not for Kyungsoo telling him. It wasn't supposed to be like this! But maybe he's partially at fault as well for this as he's very well aware that he's been playing favorites. So Baekhyun does the next best thing: lure Soojung from Jungsoo as he abruptly carries her in his arms. 

 

"Baekhyun oppa!" Soojung immediately smiles, pinches Baekhyun's cheeks in delight as if she's not the smaller and more adorable one in the situation. 

 

"Soojung-ah," Baekhyun sing-songs, "have you eaten your meal yet?"

 

Soojung just shakes her head as cutely as she can in response. When Baekhyun sets her on the soft puzzle mats, she looks slightly disappointed but takes Baekhyun's hand in hers this time. 

 

"Oppa, eat with me!" 

 

Baekhyun just lets her pull him over to their place designated for eating. She doesn't directly ask Baekhyun to spoon feed her literally, but he does anyway to make up for his lack of attention toward her. The rest of the day consisted of Baekhyun kissing to all of the other kids he's ignored for the week, that he doesn't even notice Jungsoo watching him with sad eyes in Kyungsoo's hold.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Chanyeol-ah," someone puts an arm around Chanyeol, "there's a welcoming party for all of us newcomers in the company later!"

 

Chanyeol looks at Jongdae, one of his new friends in the company along with Minseok. He thinks about it for a moment and Jungsoo pops into his mind.

 

"What time is that?" he asks, mentally calculating hours in his mind. 

 

"The company's permitting us to get off earlier," Jongdae says. "Say... about 6 maybe."

 

It won't do. Maybe he just has to pass this up.

 

"I kind of have to—"

 

"It would be really fun! It would really be a shame if you won't come," Jongdae pouts. "The bosses will be there too."

 

"Okay," Chanyeol smiles. "I'll go."

 

He thinks maybe it could work out after all. He just needs to formulate a plan in which he could get out of the party and fast. Maybe if he stalls time for 30 minutes and kisses to the bosses for even a while, it would be okay. 

 

But maybe he should have known better.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Baek, I really need to go," Kyungsoo looks over his wristwatch that reads half past 6 whilst saying. "I'm kind of in charge of dinner tonight."

 

Baekhyun only smiles at him and says, "Okay. Take care, Kyung!" 

 

Kyungsoo pats him on the shoulder a goodbye, says goodbye to a handful of the children left and to Joonmyun before heading off. 

 

Baekhyun only sighs because Kyungsoo has left. He's not really clingy to the point of not wanting to let Kyungsoo off when he could, but he's stalled too much of Kyungsoo's time already and they obviously couldn't walk home together too. It's not like Baekhyun wants to go home early today, anyway, because he's apparently homework-free and there's really not much to do at home. He'd rather spend much more time with the children, even if there's only a handful of them left now.

 

He sits at the small staircase by the entrance along with the other kids, watching as cars and cabs come and go, bidding farewell to the kids one by one getting picked up by their parents. It doesn't take so long until the clock strikes exactly 7 and only Soojung and Jungsoo are left waiting. 

 

Both children are leaning over in exhaustion when Joonmyun goes over to where they are.

 

"Hyung," Baekhyun acknowledges, looking up.

 

"Baekhyun-ah," Joonmyun says, rubbing at his nape for what he's going to say, "My wife kind of just broke her water and I really need to get home fast." 

 

Baekhyun looks at Joonmyun in a state of alarm at that, thinking if he should ask if it's a boy or a girl or why he hadn't mentioned having a wife, but it's not like Kyungsoo and he has been volunteering for so long already. He doesn't get the chance to ask anyway, because Joonmyun speaks again.

 

"I know it's kind of inconvenient and that you probably have homework to do when you get home, but could you close the daycare up for even just today?" Joonmyun speaks in a flurry, obviously panic-stricken as he couldn't get a hold of himself. 

 

Baekhyun extends his hand for keys, but receives a padlock instead. Joonmyun almost drops it off his hand, if not for Baekhyun catching it.

 

"I've brought the shutter down and left it open if you still need anything from inside. You just need to lock it up with the padlock."

 

"It's totally fine, hyung. I'll make sure the kids are fetched!" Baekhyun says almost proudly. "Hwaiting, hyung! Rescue your baby," he says in merriment.

 

"If ever there'll be a problem, don't hesitate to run to Tao for help," Joonmyun points to Tao, the fierce guard seated behind Baekhyun right by the daycare. And just like that, Joonmyun's gone.

 

Baekhyun glances to his left and right and just simultaneously stares at both Soojung and Jungsoo in his arms. He looks up at the sky and sees how much its dimmed and is slowly being covered by stars just as the moon's rising. So Baekhyun thinks of a way to pass time and realizes Soojung and Jungsoo both hate each other's guts and it's probably why they clearly won't talk to each other. He almost brings them both to their feet to make them up, if not for a car stopping right in front and Soojung finally screaming, "Umma!"

 

And Jungsoo is the only one left.

 

Baekhyun has half the mind to feel happy because maybe, finally he'll get to meet Jungsoo's dad if he just waits a little longer. But minutes turn into an hour and Baekhyun finally puts a padlock to the shutter because maybe they just need to wait for a little while longer. But still, no one comes and Jungsoo suddenly looks uncomfortable and shivering already in the cold weather. Baekhyun resists his intolerance of cold and removes his coat to put it around Jungsoo, hugging the kid in his arms as they wait for a little more. 

 

A few minutes and Jungsoo is sneezing.

 

A few more minutes pass and Jungsoo is whining about his daddy again and where he might be.

 

Some more and Jungsoo is asking if his daddy has forgotten about him as he puffs his cheeks. Baekhyun could only feel sad for Jungsoo, unable to do anything to ease his worries as they wait. Baekhyun comes up with a brilliant idea that could work, however. He thinks to check Jungsoo's general information in the registration for his address, so maybe he could drop him off instead, but when he looks back he almost cries because he remembers he just locked the shutter minutes ago.

 

"Jungsoo-yah, do you know where you live?" Baekhyun asks, almost desperate.

 

"No."

 

It couldn't be helped.

 

Sometime later, it's half past 9 in the evening and it's the last straw for Baekhyun as Jungsoo's teary-eyed. 

 

"Jungsoo-yah," Baekhyun says slowly, "would you like to come to Baekhyun hyung's house?"

 

Jungsoo faintly smiles for a moment, but shakes the tears creeping in his eyes and his head 'no' anyway. "My daddy said I'm not allowed to go with strangers."

 

"I'm not a stranger," Baekhyun assures. "We'll give Tao hyung right there," he points at Tao at the back, "my address, so your daddy could pick you up at my place. Is that fine?"

 

"Okay," Jungsoo says softly, almost as if he doesn’t have much choice in the matter anyway. He cutely rubbs the back of his palms over his eyes in tiredness.

 

So Baekhyun fishes out a notepad and pen from his pockets, hastily scribbling: 

 

Byun's house

#68 Gangnam-gu, Dogokdong-gil

Color blue door

 

He rips it off the notepad and asks Jungsoo, "What's your daddy's name, Jungsoo?"

 

"Park Chanyeol," Jungsoo crunches his nose.

 

Baekhyun adds:

 

To: Park Chanyeol-sshi

 

at the top and gives strict instruction to Tao before handing the piece of paper over, that he should only give it to a guy bearing the exact name. 

 

He grabs Jungsoo's cute little angel hands in his before walking towards home.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A/N:
 
Isn't Chanyeol just an irresponsible father? Aish, I'd knock some sense into him if I were the one who got Jungsoo!
 
And as you can see, I'm not familiar with Korea's addresses so... I don't know if what I wrote works, but anyway...
 
So what do you guys think?
 
Btw, look at my poster at the Forewords. I tried! I really did, but it's just crappy I know. T_T