20: Dropping Hints

What Are The Chances...?

Chanyeol wakes up so early in the morning only to wake Jungsoo up and literally pull the blankets off him when he stands. This doesn’t wake the kid up, though. Because if anything, Jungsoo just shifts with his back turned against Chanyeol, his bottom slightly protruding as he extends his hands to the pillows near his face to bury in them.

 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JUNGSOO!!”

 

“Appa… so noisy…” Jungsoo complains, messing his hair up in frustration and covering his ears right after to block out the noise that Chanyeol seems to be making still.

 

“But it’s your birthday and the guests are coming.”

 

Chanyeol watches Jungsoo open an eye, looking to the direction of the nightstand where the clock is when he groans, “It’s 7 and they’re not coming until after lunch.”

 

“You have to eat your breakfast and then I’ll have to bathe you. The caterers are coming, too, and we have to fetch party utensils at the grocery store because I kind of forgot to take care of that.”

 

“Then ask Jongin hyung. He sleeps until 12 on weekends and I think it’s unfair.”

 

“What do you know? Why are you so grumpy so early in the morning anyway, hmm?” Chanyeol literally dives on the empty spot next to Jungsoo and starts tickling the kid who squirms and attempts to hit him because it really tickles.

 

“HAHAHAHAH—appa, stop it!”

 

“I’ll stop it when you wake up.”

 

“But I’m already up! You practically disturbed my sleep just now.”

 

“I did now, huh?”

 

“Yes.” Jungsoo nods in teasing, receiving another handful of tickles at his side from Chanyeol that’s got him squirming and screaming for his appa to stop.

 

“Now get up.” Chanyeol pats Jungsoo’s .

 

“Okay, on one condition.” Jungsoo looks at him in knowing, slowly putting his arms around his appa’s neck. “Carry me to the—ahhhh.”

 

Before Jungsoo could continue, he’s already being supermanned into the kitchen and seated around the dining table. On a corner lies Jungsoo’s favorite strawberry milk that he eyes from where he’s seated and a platter of bacon and eggs.

 

“If you weren’t my son, I’d say you’re a clingy girlfriend.”

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

“Oh, but you are.” Jungsoo frowns. “After eating, I’m bathing you okay?” Jungsoo nods, eating his breakfast in content.

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol feels a little nostalgic as he scrubs Jungsoo’s hair with shampoo, foaming them up similar to baby smurf’s. It would’ve been a hard situation wherein he’s outside of the bath tub and clothed while he bathes Jungsoo’s who’s wet and all energetic in the bath tub, but then it’s been so long that he’s gotten so used to it. Jungsoo’s now 6 and time isn’t really slowing down for anyone. It’s just a little overwhelming that it’s apparently been only just him and Jungsoo for the past 4 years that he practically stood as a mother and father to the kid.

 

Chanyeol still remembers every other moment he's spent with Jungsoo ever since he first saw him in the infirmary. It was a moment of wonder that struck him just how much Jungsoo looked like his sister—the little bundle of blessing in white and lying sound in a nursery.

 

When he first saw Jungsoo, the feeling was in between being delighted he's finally an uncle and an official one too because he's his sister's son and at the same time, he felt a feeling of hesitance and of possible tomorrows Jungsoo might encounter in the kind of family he's born in. 

 

The problem then was that Jungsoo didn't have a father. 

 

But now the problem is that Jungsoo could be taken away from him anytime soon.

 

He wouldn’t really know how to handle it, let alone know how to speak to his sister more than anything after all these years. But his thoughts are distracted when Jungsoo speaks and apparently extends a hand from the bath tub to put foam on Chanyeol’s nose.

 

“Appa, what are you thinking about?”

 

Chanyeol smiles a genuine one when Jungsoo asks, ignores the spot of foam on his nose the kid just did when he combs through Jungsoo’s hair. “I’m just thinking how time flies by so quickly that you’re getting older by the second.” Chanyeol laughs now, forgetting all the bitter memories he was really thinking of.

 

“I’m not growing old!” Jungsoo huffs.

 

“But you’re now 6 and aging is something that we couldn’t prevent.”

 

“I’m still small and not as old as you.”

 

Chanyeol’s jaw drops. “What? What did you just say?”

 

“Nothing,” Jungsoo says. “Say, appa, would you still bathe me after this? You told me before that when I turn 6, I should start doing everything on my own. Is this the last?”

 

“Yes,” Chanyeol teases just to get on the kid’s nerves.

 

“Really?” And there goes Jungsoo’s infamous puppy eyes, all teary and round, directed to Chanyeol. 

 

Of course Chanyeol couldn’t afford to keep making the birthday boy cry, so he says, “Of course not, but you should still learn how to do things on your own because you’re a growing boy now. If I know, next time you won’t even beg me to bathe you anymore.”

 

But then Jungsoo still cries and Chanyeol suddenly doesn’t know if he said something wrong. Didn’t he just stop teasing and only spoke the truth about growing up and handling things on one’s own? Now why are Jungsoo’s eyes all red and are those tears gliding down his cheeks or is it water?

 

“Hey, why are crying?” Chanyeol’s voice is hushed, panic and worry evident in tone.

 

“You got soap suds on my eyes and they sting,” Jungsoo says, rubbing both his hands on both his eyes.

 

“Don’t rub them,” Chanyeol says in relief, reaching out to the faucet to damp his hands in water and rub them on Jungsoo’s eyes. “Keep still now. Don’t move. I’m getting the soap suds out.”

 

“It hurts!”

 

Chanyeol continues to get even more water, gently but surely getting all the soap suds out. “Should’ve gotten the no more tears formula,” Chanyeol mumbles. “All better?” He looks at Jungsoo when he’s done and reaches behind to grab some tissue rolls to dry the kid’s eyes.

 

“All better!” Jungsoo exclaims, whilst splashing Chanyeol a handful of water and giggling.

 

Chanyeol tries to evade the attacks and flinches with the littlest water hitting his face, but he ends up with his white tank top soaked anyway. “But why are you splashing me water?”

 

“Because it’s your fault I got soap suds in my eyes, you rubbed them in!” Jungsoo now teases and Chanyeol just goes along with the kid’s antics in playful tones whilst rinsing Jungsoo of soap suds and shampoo, lathering him in water in a generous amount.

 

“Why are you always blaming me?”

 

“There’s no one else to.”

 

“Well, there’s Jongin hyung.”

 

Jungsoo laughs haughtily at that, but stops when they hear a voice coming from outside the bathroom.

 

“Did I just hear my name?” It’s Jongin.

 

“No!” Chanyeol and Jungsoo says in unison, laughing together like it’s the most humorous thing to laugh at.

 

“Now let’s get you out.” Chanyeol gets a towel from one of the drawers and gets Jungsoo out of the bath tub to dry. For the whole time, they’re quiet for a little while and Jungsoo just stares at Chanyeol as he’s dried clean. It’s a random thought that crosses Jungsoo’s mind, but he thinks about the fact that he’s now 6 and if he’s aging, then his appa must be too.

 

So he asks every so thoughtfully, “Appa, have I told you I love you today?”

 

“No.” Chanyeol pouts, shaking his head in response.

 

“I love you appa!” And Jungsoo kisses Chanyeol on the lips.

 

“I love you too, baby.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun comes with Kyungsoo and Luhan to Jungsoo’s party.  

 

Kyungsoo’s not all enthusiastic about the idea, so it took Baekhyun a lot of convincing to even have Kyungsoo step in the house and step back out again once he has. Luhan’s no problem, on the other hand, as he’s practically went and gone into a conversation with Luna who’s already inside.

 

It doesn’t take a genius to know what Kyungsoo just saw, because then Baekhyun sees Jongin and Krystal near a bowl of punch talking to each other.

 

“I can’t, Baek,” Kyungsoo says simply, eyes scanning the floor and anywhere but Baekhyun’s pleading puppy eyes. When Kyungsoo says he can’t, he means well, because when he’s not in the mood, Baekhyun shall know better than to prod because then Kyungsoo knows he’d end up ruining everyone’s mood with his straight face and even risking the fun streak in him in the eyes of the kids he’s been with and built a friendship with for the past months.

 

“Soo…”

 

“Just go on. Chanyeol’s waiting... and Jungsoo. I’m sure he’ll be glad to see you too.”

 

“Are you sure?” Baekhyun asks in worry. “Chanyeol would understand if I go with you right now.”

 

“More than that, I think he’d start getting jealous of me because I always cut what little time you both have. And for sure, Jungsoo would throw a tantrum if you don't.”

 

“He’s not like that," Baekhyun says, pertaining more to Chanyeol.

 

“But he doesn’t know about…” Kyungsoo’s words fade as he sighs, the name of the one he least wants to see right now he refuses to say.

 

Oh, yeah.”

 

“So just go, Baek. I’m not dying. I’m just not in the mood. Just tell Jungsoo I’m sick or something if he asks and wish him a happy birthday from me, yeah?” Kyungsoo insists, hands finding purchase in his hair because maybe he’s got a migraine coming after all. He doesn’t even care right now if he’s called sensitive or something like borderline drama queen by Baekhyun, because the latter fully well knows his problem is merely Jongin and nothing more.

 

“Okay.” Baekhyun sighs. “Hey, Soo? Text me, alright? I’ll come to your house later after.”

 

“Mhmm.” Kyungsoo doesn’t look sad. He just looks irked, to say the least, his lips in a firm line and eyes narrowing in lack of interest. And just like that, he briefly half-hugs Baekhyun in goodbye before turning back.

 

Jongin must have noticed someone looking at him when he turns to Baekhyun’s direction and he sees a ghost of Kyungsoo’s back right behind Baekhyun. He’s walking towards them to greet them, but Kyungsoo’s back remain turned against him only to walk out the door completely.

 

“What’s wrong with him, Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun looks worried, doesn’t know what to say. “Kyungsoo’s sick, hyung.”

 

“Is it that bad?”

 

“I guess so?” It sounds more like a question rather than a phrase as Baekhyun’s thinking where this lie should lead to. “He really wanted to go.” Lie. “But he suddenly felt sick. His head was aching, so he ended up accompanying me just to the front door.”

 

So Jongin’s left to wonder for the remainder of the party that If Kyungsoo’s sick, why would he even bother going?

 

But maybe it has the something to do with that time a few days ago when Kyungsoo came with him and Jungsoo to drop them off at Chanyeol’s. Jungsoo had insisted so eagerly that Kyungsoo appeared not to know how to turn down the invitation, Jungsoo’s hands already pulling them home. The walk that night, to say the least, was void of any interesting conversation. He remembers Kyungsoo briefly just nodding and shaking his head in agreement or in contradiction.

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun sees Chanyeol and they smile at each other, reaching ears and crescent eyes, with matching dimples and everything depicting new found love.

 

Chanyeol reaches for Baekhyun’s hand and gives a light squeeze and their hold on each other lingers for a few seconds. They pretend it’s a handshake or at least it should look like one or something to that effect. They haven’t really gotten around to being exclusive to others, so Baekhyun understands.

 

“Glad you could come.”

 

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” It’s cheeky when Baekhyun smiles at that.

 

“Where’s Kyungsoo?”

 

“He can’t come,” Baekhyun says with a lace of disappointment. He has to keep his promise to Kyungsoo to tell anyone asking to just tell he’s sick, but he can’t lie to Chanyeol either so he settled with the simplest excuse. “He accompanied me here, though.” And Chanyeol doesn’t ask further.

 

“Hey Baek.” Chanyeol leans down to whisper in Baekhyun’s ear,” You look nice.”

 

“If your idea of nice are a pair of skinny jeans and shirt, then sure.” Baekhyun truthfully doesn’t know if there’s anything different in the way he looks today than any other day Chanyeol has seen him before, but sure, he’ll take the compliment. If only it comes from Chanyeol, who seems to have this subtle way of flirting. 

 

What they don’t know is Jungsoo suspiciously looking at his father and his favorite hyung. He remembers weeks ago when he’d ask Chanyeol if boys can be together and if his Luhan hyung and Baekhyun hyung were together. He notices something different with this kind compared to Luhan and Baekhyun then. There’s something in his puppy hyung and his aura that screams happy. Chanyeol looks happy, too. Jungsoo’s just happy they seem to be happy in each other’s company and that’s what matters, right? He couldn’t pay much attention, though, because then Soojung shouts “Jungsoo oppa!” and he finds himself walking towards her and a big gift box she holds with both hands.

 

“This is our gift to you with Josephine and Jinri,” she gestures to her back where Jinri and Josephine follow suit. “But I got you something else that comes from me exclusively.” She sweetly smiles, reaching to her back pocket to retrieve a handmade baby blue bracelet with a ‘J’ charm. “It’s a pair. I got the baby pink one.”

 

“Thank you, Soojung.” Jungsoo smiles.

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun witness the whole scene happening in front of their very eyes, so they look at each other in merriment and in knowing. What Chanyeol least expects to happen is Baekhyun mumbling “Chanyeol oppa.” like it’s a casual thing to say in a fraction of a moment the kids turned to go to the playroom.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“Nothing.” Baekhyun shakes his head, chuckling to himself because he knows he won’t repeat and say it again even if Chanyeol begs.

 

 

 

 

 

The birthday party starts in a few minutes, past the few minutes Chanyeol shook hands and greeted the parents of the kids Jungsoo invited and Chanyeol promised to look out for as they’re just dropping them off in reasons of an errand to fulfill and more. Hanging balloons litter the whole living room. In the kitchen, the buffet table is good and ready for when the guests feel it in their stomachs to eat and party bags neatly placed in a row on a table next to the buffet table. It’s a small-scale party just like that of the daycare event, but a more intimate celebration as they just invited the people who Jungsoo wanted to come and some of Chanyeol’s friends from the office, but no one of them went as Kris is busy with supervising the finishing touches of a project and Minseok and Jongdae couldn’t be bothered to even care. Chanyeol even invited his parents just to bridge the gap, because they see each other anyway once or twice in the year but they’re in vacation at Jeju or at least Chanyeol had read exactly that when he checked his phone for a response. At one point he even thought of inviting Yerin because it’s her son’s birthday after all, but isn’t it that she’s bound to come back anytime soon? If she really cares, then she would’ve found them by now right? Or maybe it’s just Chanyeol being his protective and overly sensitive self to topics involving Yerin and most especially when it concerns Jungsoo… leaving him?

 

But anyway, there’s a total of 11 kids who could make it and 5 volunteers from the daycare, including Baekhyun and Jongin. Joonmyun couldn’t come either, because it’s his own time with this family and half of it he even has to spend running the daycare business.

 

It’s a good thing Chanyeol hired a party magician, so it’s less hassle on his part of having to cater to and talk to everyone to keep them entertained. He’s secretly even thankful Jongin’s here to fulfill that very need. Jongin knows most of the volunteers better, anyway. So all the kids huddle at the playroom, oh-ing and ah-ing in awe at how the magician could pull out a rabbit from his hat or how he could guess the cards the kids were keeping in mind when they’re told just that. Jongin, with Krystal and Luna, find it just apt to accompany the kids in the playroom.

 

So finally, Baekhyun and Chanyeol find time for themselves in the living room. Chanyeol even thinks probably that Jongin may have taken the hint to be left with Baekhyun and ushered the two female volunteers in the playroom as well but Luhan. He knows he’s not all that comfortable with Luhan, but he can’t seem to take a hint as he’s still in the living room right across the couch Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s sitting at. But maybe it’s bound to be like this, you know? Baekhyun and Chanyeol will never ever have a decent date without blocks, quite probably.

 

“Hey Baek, you hungry?” Chanyeol asks, small talk to start because he doesn’t know but it sounds ridiculous to talk cheesy in front of Luhan. Of course Luhan also has to be one of the few who knows already of Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s relationship. Chanyeol just needed to know, alright? He’s not jealous, but he just needed to ask Baekhyun one time what Luhan is to Baekhyun and how he benefits in his life and how long they’ve known each other and how they’re the happy three friends with Kyungsoo and how they’re thesis mates and all that and no he’s not jealous. Not at all, but that’s just Chanyeol speaking those very words in his mind.

 

“Nah, a little later maybe when the kids do,” Baekhyun says, not minding to look at Chanyeol when he replies as he looks at the stack of glass cases of albums by Chanyeol’s television set.

 

“Okay. How about you Lu…han?” It still feels a little awkward for Chanyeol to address Luhan, because they were never really formally introduced. There’s just this uncertain tension every time, so Baekhyun never really figured the right time to introduce them to each other until they’ve spoken quite a few times at the daycare sometimes when Chanyeol drops Jungsoo off with Jongin.

 

“I’m fine hyung,” Luhan replies, but Chanyeol can’t help but think that whenever Luhan speaks, there’s this certain tone he doesn’t like about it. He doesn’t even like how Luhan looks to be stretching where he’s seated before he goes back and checks his phone for something so interesting that he momentarily laughs and shifts into a straight face the next second.

 

Chanyeol doesn’t even find it in himself to say ‘Okay’ or anything at all to acknowledge that Luhan just spoke to him before he turns to Baekhyun again, who seemingly has found something interesting in Chanyeol’s stack of albums.

 

“Hey,” Baekhyun turns to Chanyeol as well before pulling an album out of one of the slots on the neat stack, “you listen to Urban Zakapa? I didn’t know.”

 

“Yeah, how’d you know?” Baekhyun points at the glass case he’s holding as if it isn’t yet obvious. He swears Chanyeol just sounded sarcastic and couldn’t find a more interesting reply so he said that. “Now you know. I don’t usually get updated anymore, because of work and Jungsoo only ever likes upbeat and he says they’re too sentimental and that their music makes him cry, but yes I do like them because of their music.”

 

“Same. So which song do you like the most?”

 

“I like My Love or is it There’s Us?” Chanyeol sounds like he’s asking.

 

“And I thought you like them, why are you asking me?” Baekhyun teases whilst chuckling.

 

“I do like them, I just forget.” Chanyeol defends and stands up from his seat.

 

Baekhyun follows suit once he’s returned the album from the stack and they stand awkwardly side by side for a few moments before Baekhyun’s turning to Chanyeol so close with little to no space between them and Baekhyun does it. Baekhyun his lips unconsciously and bites his bottom lip. Little does he know is that Chanyeol’s taken notice of all this as Baekhyun subtly grabs at his collar and pats it a few times and says, “Your collar’s all messed up. Now it’s all better.” It's too fast when he says that it sounds kind of forced and planned.

 

And then Baekhyun smiles.

 

It’s the last straw for Chanyeol, because Baekhyun just ty smiled up at him and did the classic flirting trick and Chanyeol doesn’t really know and hasn’t come up with a decent come back as he whispers for only Baekhyun to hear, “Are you suggesting something?”

 

“Like what?” Baekhyun innocently asks in a similar hushed tone, raising an eyebrow in mischievousness because he knows he’s got Chanyeol right at his command.

 

“Stop,” Chanyeol finally huffs, “Stop touching me and and biting your lips like that.”

 

Luhan laughs suddenly, but they ignore it and Baekhyun looks at him weird and back at Chanyeol, questioning why he should stop flirting when he can with his boyfriend with what little time they could spend with each other? But of course Baekhyun knows pretty well why, he just wants to see Chanyeol all worked up and on the verge of frustration so it’s sort of intentional more than anything

 

“I don’t want to stop you, but it’s kind of frustrating because I want to kiss you and I can’t because of the kids, you know.”

 

“Luhan is not a kid.”

 

“Don’t tempt me.” Chanyeol leans in dangerously close anyway and Baekhyun’s been so used to this that he blocks Chanyeol’s face with his palm and pushes it where it’s safe when he sees a kid exiting the playroom. The three of them in the living room appear to then watch the kid as he enters and exits the washroom and walks slowly back to the playroom before Baekhyun says, “The kids, right Yeol?”

 

When the door clicks shut, though, Luhan is the one to say, “I don’t know if you guys are doing it on purpose or aren’t aware that you’re not whispering, but you aren’t. And if you want to kiss in front of me, I don’t mind. Just do it.”

 

And just how embarrassing could things get?


 


 

 

Later on, as guests are now gathered at the kitchen after eating, Chanyeol lifts the cover off of Jungsoo’s space-themed birthday cake. It’s got this pineapple-sized space rocket on top of the dark blue fondant like a galaxy covered in stars and planets and candy stars stuck to the edges like those usual icing flowers.

 

And after a joyous round of singing ‘Happy Birthday’ by everyone to the birthday celebrant, Jungsoo blows onto his candles with wishes that his Chanyeol appa doesn't ever leave him. He mumbles about how it's really so good to see his Baekhyun hyung making his appa laugh and same goes for his Jongin hyung, even if he couldn’t quite keep the irritating vibe off him at times. And then he thinks of Kyungsoo and Jongin and their never-ending bickering, only coming to conclusion and pouting for a moment after realizing that he couldn’t spot Kyungsoo anywhere. But Jungsoo knows that it’s probably just an important thing Kyungsoo had to go to and that there's something more to it than Jongin and Kyungsoo’s bantering than they would let on and he'll help them out too, if that's a good deed he could do. He's still not sure if love between boys are possible, but he thinks it is, just not applicable to him as he likes Soojung. Ah, Soojung. Sweet baby girl Soojung. He wishes that they would never part for all it's worth. And then his long-time wish...

 

I hope to see umma again

 

Then he blows his candles.

 

But apart from wishes and everything else he wants in life, he’s more thankful that the people in his party could make it and found time in their busy lives to celebrate his birthday with him. So he says, “Thank you, everyone!” with a beam radiating the gratefulness he feels to everyone present.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the party, when everyone’s gotten home at 6 in the afternoon, Jongin asks for permission from Chanyeol to go out. He ends up leaving Baekhyun behind in replacement for him and he’s sure Chanyeol loves it more than he lets know.

 

Jongin doesn’t exactly know where he should be going, but then right now as he’s hovering over Kyungsoo’s front door, he’s contemplating whether he should reach for the switch just beside the door. He does so, anyway, and he doesn’t know why he does (but maybe it’s just because to check on Kyungsoo and find out if he’s any better) but he hears someone say, “Kyungsoo get the door.” and obvious steps nearing the door and Kyungsoo now standing right in front of him.

 

“Jongin hyung, what are you doing here?”

 

“I honestly don’t know. Maybe I just wanted to check up on you, because Baekhyun said you’re sick.”

 

“Then you should go, because I felt much better.” with you not around.

 

“Although right now I think I’d like to know why you have been ignoring me. You know I quite actually miss your sassy antics at me, always speaking to me so disrespectfully—“

 

“Excuse me?” Kyungsoo looks at Jongin incredulously, unable to believe his ears that he’s still being insulted at a time like this.

 

“—and always finding ways in which to insult me. Don’t get ideas, this is not a confession okay? It’s true, though.”

 

“Of course.” Kyungsoo smiles faintly. “But shouldn’t you be at Jungsoo’s party?” Kyungsoo changes topic smoothly.

 

“The guests have been long gone and I just really wanted to take a stroll. I left Baekhyun with Chanyeol, if you’re wondering.”

 

“Of course you would.” Kyungsoo smirks, arms crossed on his chest, and Jongin just chuckles lightly because he’s always been one to be accused of Kyungsoo and half the reason why Chanyeol could be with Baekhyun most times.

 

“So why have you been ignoring me, Kyungsoo? You left immediately when you brought Jungsoo home with me the other day.”

 

“I haven’t been ignoring you,” Kyungsoo pauses. “Haven’t I been the same sassing you the past days?”

 

“And you were out a few days too.”

 

“Why do you care?” Kyungsoo’s getting worked up now, feeling as though he’s being interrogated by someone who he doesn’t even think should. And Jongin’s just there wondering how quickly he could make Kyungsoo upset like it comes naturally when he turns up. “I just had some things to do at school is all. Maybe you should do yourself a favor and find a job instead than hang around in here.”

 

“Harsh.”

 

“I think you yourself should know very well I’m not very nice.”

 

“And I’m still older than you. If I were another hyung, I’d be lecturing you about manners.”

 

“But you’re not.”

 

“Right.”

 

“Kyungsoo!” It's another voice coming from inside that yells.

 

“My mom’s calling me. You should probably leave.”

 

“But Kyungsoo, I still haven’t—“

 

“Just. Go. Hang out with Krystal,” Kyungsoo pauses and Jongin doesn’t miss the unusual tone Kyungsoo adapts as he says Krystal’s name, “Luna, or someone. Maybe Chanyeol hyung?” But Kyungsoo thinks of a continuation faster than Jongin could even contemplate the implications of what he just heard in Kyungsoo’s tone.

 

“Bye Kyungsoo.”

 

“Good riddance.”

 

Jongin turns around with a heavy feeling in his chest and walks away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol hyung, I need to go.” Baekhyun stands from where he’s seated a few inches away from Chanyeol. Jungsoo’s just right in front of them, so they can’t really be all that touchy-feely anymore even if it drives Chanyeol insane. Truthfully, Baekhyun even enjoys it. Oh, what joy!

 

“So soon?” Chanyeol tries to keep the disappointment away from how he says it.

 

So soon? I was practically here the whole day! Anyway, I promised Kyungsoo a visit.”

 

To which Jungsoo finally looks up at Baekhyun and asks, “Why couldn’t Kyungsoo hyung come?”

 

“He had some things to do back at home, Jungsoo-yah.” Baekhyun weakly smiles, a smile conveying that he could’ve went if not for it.

 

“That’s too bad, but I hope he could go next time!” Jungsoo sounds hopeful, but at the side Chanyeol can’t help but think about how their lives will be drastically changing when she comes.

 

“I’m sure he would.” Baekhyun puts a hand on top of Jungsoo’s head and pats before carrying the kid up into a hug. “I’m going now, okay?” He kisses Jungsoo’s cheek and watches Chanyeol’s crestfallen expression at the action. But because Baekhyun’s feeling generous as Jungsoo’s head is still nestled at his shoulder, he gestures a flying kiss to Chanyeol’s direction just so.

 

“Thank you for the robot puppy, Baekhyun hyung. It should remind me of you now.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

Chanyeol successfully catches it and makes gestures as though he’s throwing it away but grabbing it back anyway to smack right into his cheek in contempt—obviously, he’s not contented. But really? Even if it’s cheesy, he’s taking what he could.

 

When Baekhyun finally brings Jungsoo back down he says, “Happy birthday again, baby.” before he’s being escorted to the front door by the father and son.

 

“Bye Jungsoo, bye Chanyeol hyung!”  

 

And Baekhyun’s gone, just like that.

 

 

 

 

 

A few minutes after Baekhyun left, Chanyeol wonders who it might be. Maybe Baekhyun has come to terms that he’s forgotten to give Chanyeol a kiss goodbye or Jongin who went out for a stroll not too long ago either.

 

But all of Chanyeol’s thoughts goes down the drain, however, when he spots a greeting card on the welcome mat he picks up that reads “Happy birthday, Jungsoo!” in pretty and cursive handwriting.

 

He couldn’t be mistaken, because he knows this handwriting all too well.

 

She’s back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what are the chances that Yerin’s back?

 

And for the better or worse?

 

Very very soon you shall find out.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

This chapter is almost 5k!! 4.9k something or so, but when I edit it's probably gonna be 5k because this is barely beta-ed. But did you feel the ual frustration in the air? LOL. And #sorrynotsorry if Chanbaek turned out too cheesy in this chap but I know all of you like it, so don't even try and deny... -_-

Anyway, I hope you had fun reading! Also, it's nearing the 1st anniversary of this fic on the 22nd, if I'm not mistaken? :O T_T This fic is like my precious baby, very much like Jungsoo.

Upvote? Subscribe? Comment down there? Hihi.

And oh, I might be posting a poll before the next update so do anticipate it because I'll be needing all of you for help!  

Oh oh, also!!! This is the calm before the storm, everyone, or rain before the storm? Because rain is like a blessing, right? And then there's the storm.