Baekhyun's Secret

What Are The Chances...?

Chanyeol manages to get Baekhyun's mobile phone number one time at the daycare when he's not speeding off like he usually does as soon as he gets his hands on Jungsoo. The thing is he unusually drops Jungsoo off the daycare on a weekend, because he's unexpectedly called in to fill in for Kris' unfinished job. It's also a relief that Jungsoo's getting more and more acquainted with the whole daycare idea, so it's a lot easier. He notices Jungsoo still doesn't interact well with all the others kids, but at least Baekhyun was already there when they arrived and they talk for a little while. That's how Chanyeol got Baekhyun's number anyway. 

 

He ends up knowing that Baekhyun's a volunteer, not that he doesn't know already. Other than that, he finds out Baekhyun's in his last year of college and lives alone at the moment—his house an early present from his parents for all the hard work he's shown to them. Baekhyun is also majoring in child development. Chanyeol thinks Baekhyun's rather dedicated. He means it so, because there are only a handful of people who would rather pick spending their time volunteering at a daycare over parties and sacrificing homework time. Baekhyun genuinely looks happy doing the volunteering quite eagerly too. But Baekhyun is humble and counters an explanation for that, being that he has to test his patience for his future job and to know if he's really cut out for it. He dreams of becoming a teacher and Chanyeol thinks it's a beautiful dream. Baekhyun also quotes—"I believe that children are our future"—unquote Whitney Houston. Chanyeol almost laughs, if not for Baekhyun belting the right notes well because he says it in a sing-song tone too.

 

As hard as it is to admit for Chanyeol, he also knows and has accepted the fact that Baekhyun has a cute and charming smile, that he could almost draw the entire children's population at the daycare only to him. So it doesn’t really come off as unusual now how he seems to be Jungsoo’s favorite hyung.

 

And as hard it is for him to have to leave, he does because he needs to. Again, the excuse being it's for Jungsoo and his impending future together.

 

 

 

 

 

"What was that about?" Kyungsoo nudges Baekhyun when Chanyeol has left. 

 

"What was what about?" Baekhyun counters in self-defense, says it so that he doesn't know what Kyungsoo's talking about. But really, internally he's still on high because his happy crush—(yes, he admits!) just talked to him.

 

"Don't what what me, Byun," Kyungsoo looks at him with narrowed eyes. "Who was that you were talking with just now? I was watching from the side! I saw it all. I was just coming back from potty training Myungsoo and I spot you looking at that someone like he was some piece of meat."

 

"Look, Kyungsoo," Baekhyun returns from his euphoria-induced self, laughs for a moment because he still can't get over the fact that Myungsoo sounds close to Kyungsoo. He puts his hands over Kyungsoo's shoulder to calm him down, "He's only Jungsoo's father, Soo! Nothing more and nothing less. If I looked happy talking to him, don't worry you're still my number one best friend. You don't have to be jea—," but then he stops himself and puts a hand over his mouth because he just sort of implied that yes, he does have a crush on Jungsoo's dad. 

 

A crush on Jungsoo's dad. 

 

Crush on Jungsoo's dad. 

 

On Jungsoo's dad. 

 

Jungsoo's dad. 

 

Dad. 

 

He looks at anywhere but Kyungsoo, roams his eyes over the expanse of the daycare all of a sudden and tends to one of the kids in an effort to get rid of Kyungsoo for even only a while.

 

"Byun Baekhyun, don't ignore me!" Kyungsoo exclaims, grabs Baekhyun away from the kid and drags him out of the daycare for a serious tell-it-all talk. 

 

From Joonmyun's peripheral view, he notices them but looks away after Kyungsoo flashes him a smile signifying everything's okay and go back to work. Joonmyun got back to work as early as he could because he couldn't just abandon the daycare—he has the keys. Actually, it was his very wife's idea to have him come back to work at once, saying comforting words as our little one would just be like all the kids you care about now and you're helping them out and our baby, too, before kissing him goodbye. But not before cradling their little angel blessing for even just a while. His wife gave birth at flatly 3 in the morning to a healthy little baby girl and he couldn't be any more happy than he is now that even lack of sleep couldn't win him over. 

 

Kyungsoo crosses his arms over his chest in an effort to intimidate Baekhyun, but it doesn't work. Instead he asks, "What am I to you, Byun Baekhyun?"

 

"My best friend?" Baekhyun's smile is forced, all his teeth shows and Kyungsoo knows it's fake but nods anyway.

 

"And what do best friends do?"

"Look out for each other?" Baekhyun asks back and Kyungsoo nods slightly, because why does Baekhyun sound like he's asking his answers back when I'm clearly asking them and he's supposed to answer in a non-answer way? But anyway...

 

"What else?"

 

"Hit each other," Baekhyun holds his pinkie, "comfort each other, do things together, laugh at each other, and tell secrets to each other!" and then he holds his ring finger, his bad finger, his pointer, and his thumb, completing 5 valid reasons for a best friend's existence.

 

"Yes, okay, you got it," Kyungsoo flashes a palm to Baekhyun and cups both of his hands together after, "So how, pray tell, do you plead guilty for the way you looked at him earlier?"

 

"It was nothing Kyungieeeeeee!" Baekhyun begs to be spared, rocking Kyungsoo front to back literally to shake some sense out of him. 

 

"He's a married man.”

 

"He's not—I don't...so," Baekhyun counters in spurts, frowns when the possibility of Chanyeol being married enters his mind. "He wasn't wearing any shining little thing!"

 

"He wasn't wearing a ring!" Kyungsoo exclaims. "And so? Maybe he just doesn't feel like wearing it. Anyway, he's probably ages older."

 

"Have you seen how he looks? He's just 23!" Baekhyun defends.

 

"That's...," Kyungsoo pauses, "...young."

 

"Yeah," Baekhyun agrees. 

 

"Does Jungsoo know about this?" 

 

"What? How would he—Why would I—Of course not!" 

 

"Just making sure," Kyungsoo pats at Baekhyun's shoulder now. "Thanks for the honesty, Baek. Thanks for telling me you like him. You're really my best friend," and just like that Kyungsoo's brisk walking back inside the daycare.

 

"What? I didn't—No, Kyung wait!" Baekhyun shouts and contemplates for a minute, "Okay, fine. You're right! You're always right. It's just a crush anyway. It's only a happy crush!" 

 

"What's a happy crush? There's no such thing. A crush is a crush no matter what," Kyungsoo runs back to Baekhyun and hugs him. "Thank you, really. You're a good big boy, Baek. You're the bestest friend in the history of ever of legendary best friends," he pats at Baekhyun's hair and then he squeezes him.

 

Kyungsoo just really appreciates the honesty and anyway... it gets really interesting when Baekhyun's crushing on someone. It's a good thing he just happened to notice it earlier when it happened right before his very wide eyes. But Kyungsoo still worries for Baekhyun, though, because what if Jungsoo's dad is really married and his best friend ends up in deep? 


 


 


 


 

 

 

Amidst typing out paper work and doing Kris' supposed duties, Chanyeol accidentally bites his tongue. He stops typing, hissing in pain because then he tastes the mix of metal and salt in his mouth. Someone must have been talking about him, but he must’ve gotten deep in his work as well to actually bite his tongue that hard to bleed.

 

It takes a while for the pain to subside and he stalls time by standing and stretching out fatigue, before finally deciding it's the best time to grab a cup of coffee before finishing work and finally heading out to fetch Jungsoo.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A/N:
 
This is sort of a chapter filler, but not really because then at least we get to know Baekhyun admitting he's got a crush on Chanyeol. But it's just a crush, so no worries. At least, for now. And I'm not really sure if it was a good step to have this posted now, as I was having doubts but I posted anyway? TT
 
And... I've been sort of having a block lately. I don't know if it's for good(haha, joking!), but anyway I'll be out for a few days or so and I'm pretty sure next update would have to be pushed to next week as to give myself some time to enjoy my remaining days of summer and yeah before school starts huhu. Thinking about it, I could also think up of a next update whilst enjoying said break.
 
Comments, anyone? :) They'll be greatly appreciated!