Tense Conversations

What Are The Chances...?

HUMONGOUS CHAPTER AHEAD. 4.7K OF MY UNBETAED GLORY. SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT, EVERYONE. T_T Might edit later on still, but we'll see. Ah~ I tried to beta, that's why it says I updated again, but I'll beta when I finish the next and the next and the next chapterssssssss.

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol wakes up on the couch the next morning, putting the blanket draped on him away, as he lightly steps on his phone when he puts his feet on the ground. He picks it up promptly and 3 missed calls flashes all from Yerin. He can't help but think that after all these years, she still easily gives up, because what are 3 missed calls compared to 4 and a half years of absence from one's life? And that call last night that lasted for 45 seconds—but maybe that one’s his fault.

 

Maybe she did try, her three tries equates to the best effort she could exert, but it's not enough.

 

It will never be enough.

 

Jungsoo, however, bounds over to him with renewed energy he couldn't quite match up to, because Chanyeol really feels a little down right now that all he could do is crouch to the little one's level and embrace him with all his might, who returns the same with as much gusto. Then it clicks in his mind that Jungsoo must have put the blanket he even had on him the minute he woke up. Jungsoo has always been the thoughtful child.

 

"You love appa, right?" Chanyeol asks, feeling lacking in his voice, suddenly so afraid of the time that may come that Jungsoo may misunderstand, that Jungsoo may think of him as someone who didn't think of telling him the truth. 

 

"Of course!" Jungsoo exclaims, cupping Chanyeol's cheeks to rub at them like he almost always does to make his father look like a fish. 

 

He proceeds to press his forehead to Chanyeol's whilst saying, "Forehead to forehead," rubs his nose on Chanyeol's, "Nose to nose," presses a cheek to one of Chanyeol's own, "Cheek to cheek," and presses a soft pressure on Chanyeol's lips, "Lips to lips."

 

Chanyeol feels like he wants to cry right now, because it's been tradition that Jungsoo only does this whenever he's sad. 

 

So he does notice. 

 

He knows when Chanyeol's blue and not acting like himself. Jungsoo seems rather observant with these little things that he even knows when he may get Chanyeol mad. See? This is what 4 years does to the heart. You get so used to the person you're living with, despite not knowing they're not who you think they are. At least, what Jungsoo knows Chanyeol is to him is a father.

 

"Appa, don't be sad!" Jungsoo pouts at Chanyeol, pinches his appa's cheeks to make fun of his handsome face.

 

"I'm not," Chanyeol shakes his head, resisting… denying that he isn't. He isn’t what? Not Jungsoo’s father or not sad?

 

"But you are," Jungsoo insists. 

 

"I just look sad, because I just woke up."

 

"Okay, if you say so," Jungsoo doesn't prod further, skips back to the spot he must've been in in the kitchen before Chanyeol woke up. Maybe it's that Chanyeol won't admit to anything, anyway, and Jungsoo knows that very well. "Appa, I made myself some cereal. Do you want some? And is it okay if I'll invite Baekhyun hyung in for the day? It's a weekend, right?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun's been in an emotional mess the whole week that waking up on a weekend sometimes even is difficult. He's in that state of chaos thinking which option he shall take with regards to the opportunity to Busan. Add to that a thesis he's involved with that he's doing with Luhan and Kyungsoo and the fact that he just couldn't not go to the daycare even if it would be beneficial in his academics that he doesn't. He won’t have so much time to do the thesis anymore when he comes to Busan and in the middle of it all, he’d have to let the daycare go if he actually wants for his academics to work because the work’s been piling up and not minimal too.

 

And well... there's Chanyeol ignoring him.

 

To be honest, Baekhyun's really trying. He's trying to preoccupy himself with thoughts that doesn't concern the older, but it's hard when Jungsoo's almost always in sight. It's weird because as he stares at the ceiling, he doesn't know which of those messes in his life he's got to fix first. 

 

Speaking of which, he puts away his blanket to the empty side of the bed as he hears his phone ring and simultaneously vibrate from the bedside table. He mindlessly stretches his hand out, doesn't even look at it as he finally gets it and hovers the phone over his face. 

 

It's strange because his phone is flashing: 

 

Chanyeol.

 

He doesn't know if he should pick it up. Now isn't that just another problem in his life: to choose options? In choosing between a yes or a no in this situation, what is more beneficial in his state of mind? He doesn't know. Would he be happier if he ignores it and regret it after which if the call was important? Is Chanyeol even important at all? Or maybe it’s that he should think for himself even just this once and just ignore it for his sake because everything’s just so confusing and everything just needs to stop?

 

But he picks it up anyway, promptly greeted by Chanyeol who seems... what's the term for it? Sad? Or is it because they both just woke up? Baekhyun promptly glances at the digital clock on his bedside table and it says 10 in the morning, so maybe Chanyeol's... sad? Or maybe it's just the reception? Chanyeol's voice cracks in his ear when he asks if he disturbed him and Baekhyun says no shortly in response. Chanyeol asks if Baekhyun could come over and Baekhyun's still thinking.

 

He hears Chanyeol say, "It would really make happy..." and he doesn't continue it. Baekhyun has the initiative to ask who would be happy if he comes over right now, but he disagrees with himself anyway and says he could drop by today. The call then ends with a thank you from Chanyeol on the other line and Baekhyun's jumping out of his bed and over to his bathroom because he's got to do this real quick. He strangely thinks something is up with Chanyeol inviting him to come over when he's clearly been ignoring him. Baekhyun feels slightly guilty he's partially doing the same. Well, just because do unto others what you want others to do unto you, right? But it's in Chanyeol's tone that makes Baekhyun worry as he thoroughly brushes his teeth and washes his face with cold water to wake himself up even more.

 

It almost sounds like Chanyeol's making him come over for him and not because of Jungsoo. Because maybe Chanyeol wants for him to sincerely and genuinely come over for him.  

 

 

 

 

 

True enough, Chanyeol looks like a devastated mess when he opens the door for Baekhyun with disheveled hair and a confused heart. But of course Baekhyun couldn’t see the confused heart. 

 

Chanyeol says "I'm sorry," for no particular reason.

 

Baekhyun doesn't know if it's because Chanyeol knows he has an inner fight in himself about Chanyeol's cold shoulder to him and he lightly huffs because of that very reason before asking, "For what?" 

 

"I'm sorry for disturbing you on a weekend. I've been really distant. It's just... I haven't been thanking you for your hard work and I..." he pauses, 'I like you,' he thinks, but doesn't say it out loud. "I was really just stressed out with work," he says instead and laughs. "I don't know what I'm saying. I'm being awkward." 

 

"Okay?" Baekhyun looks confused. 'Chanyeol's really being weird,' he thinks. "Are you okay?" he asks.

 

"Yeah, yeah."

 

Baekhyun takes that as a yes shortly, tending to Jungsoo who's already right at his feet and grinning up at him. He smiles back, because it's that easy when it comes to Jungsoo. They play like they do as usual, in the living room for half an hour shifting between consoles because playing just the Wii's boring, so sometimes they go for the PS3 too. They play Sly and the racing game Midnight Club, with Jungsoo winning most of the time, because Baekhyun wants to just give it to him. Baekhyun wins, though, a time or two, because he couldn't keep to himself and not showcase his skills in swerving and his eye-hand coordination. Until Jungsoo's ushering Baekhyun to his play room and they talk because Jungsoo says it's important.

 

And just what could be important?

 

Back in the living room, Chanyeol was really doing that thing he does best called 'ignoring'. Lately he told Baekhyun he's sorry, but he wouldn't even look at Jungsoo and him because of the paper work he was sorting or something like that, as he simultaneously looked at his mobile phone from time to time. Baekhyun noticed every little thing Chanyeol did, huffing and puffing, scratching his head unconsciously, and sometimes he'd look at the side with that faraway look in his eyes like he's thinking of something so deep that Baekhyun wants so much to know what about but doesn't think he's in the right. He does know one thing, though, that Chanyeol's not himself today neither has he been for the past few days and there must be a major reason behind it.

 

 

 

 

 

He does confirm Chanyeol's weird actions, after which settling at the play room with Jungsoo. Jungsoo yanks him down to sit beside him and stands up for a while, getting a Nerf gun to shoot a rubber dart up at the ceiling, before he even starts speaking. 

 

"Appa's really sad right now. I could tell, but he wouldn't tell me," Jungsoo says, shooting a dart across the wall this time. 

 

"Oh?" Jungsoo shoots another, before settling it back down on the ground. 

 

"Baekhyun hyung, could you help me?" Jungsoo looks pleading, almost wears that pout Baekhyun can't really say no to. 

 

"With what?" Baekhyun feigns innocence. 

 

"Ask appa, puppy hyung." Jungsoo's face scrunches up, rubs his nose because this is starting to get really annoying and he wants to cry because he couldn't get what he wants in a snap.

 

"What, why?" Baekhyun asks, makes sure Jungsoo's telling him this and Jungsoo's asking for his help. 

 

"I think if I'm same age as you, he would tell me. Is it what they call adults problem? I don't know why appa's like that. He slept on the sofa last night, too."

 

"Maybe he's just having a hard time at work," Baekhyun prods, musses Jungsoo's hair to calm him down. 

 

"No. There should be something else. He only gets like that when I ask."

 

"What about?"

 

"My mom. After he gets mad, he says he's fine and then he'll be like that. Yesterday I told him about what Soojung did… So Baekhyun hyung, you've got to help me."

 

"But Jungsoo-ah, I'm not sure. Will that work?"

 

"Call Kyungsoo hyung over. He can be my playmate for a while."

 

"Will that be okay with you?"

 

"Of course. Or maybe Luhan hyung, but I'm not sure. I don't think appa knows him yet or likes him. He gives him the twitch when he dislikes someone."

 

"Okay, we'll call Kyungsoo then. He lives nearer." Baekhyun has the littlest urge to ask just why Chanyeol would dislike Luhan without even getting to know him, but then Jungsoo's speaking again. 

 

"At lunch, then? When I go to the bathroom?"

 

"Huh?"

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun gets that thing Jungsoo was talking about when they eat lunch around the table. 

 

It's really quiet when they start and Chanyeol only convinces Baekhyun to eat, because at least he could dine with them in exchange for coming over. Not that Chanyeol thinks it's just a mere exchange of kind gestures, but because he thinks Baekhyun ought to eat as well. Baekhyun pouts as he eats and forks his food to chew and looks over at Chanyeol once in a while and Chanyeol still wouldn't budge. He watches Chanyeol eat his food ever so slowly, sometimes his spoonfuls land straight to his mouth but sometimes it misses and Baekhyun has to suppress the laugh he wants to emit when Chanyeol needs to tilt his head over just to eat his food. Chanyeol's sad as it is, so Baekhyun thinks that if he laughs, it will make it all the more worst. 

 

On the other hand, on Jungsoo's placemat is a messy situation. Chanyeol isn't even tending to him like he would like the last time they all had lunch with Kyungsoo. Jungsoo tries to even force himself to eat his vegetables just so Chanyeol would look over, but he doesn't and then he's saying, "Baekhyun hyung, I'm going to the bathroom."

 

Baekhyun gets the cue. So it's what Jungsoo was talking about as he looks over at Chanyeol who's still staring off into space before striking a question that wouldn't startle him. 

 

"Do you want me to call Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun asks out of the blue. "No, I mean, can I call Kyungsoo over?" he restates the question, asking permission because it's Chanyeol's pad, after all.

 

"Why?" Chanyeol seems to have snapped out of his thinking, looking over at Baekhyun in question.

 

"I mean, maybe you could take a breather. You can tell me everything. I just... I won't even deny it. I'm worried for you. You look like you're not yourself?" It's half a question, half a statement, Baekhyun clearly doesn't know in which way to swerve this conversation into.

 

"Why?" Chanyeol asks again. 'Do you feel how anxious I am right now, Baek?' he thinks.

 

"I want to help you. I know maybe I'm not in the right position to be the person you're telling whatever bugs you right now, but at least..."

 

"I don't—it's oka—"

 

"No, I don't think so. You're not."

 

Chanyeol squints his eyes then. He's too defenseless when it comes to this. And he thinks it must mean something. If Baekhyun could break all his defenses, if Baekhyun could read his thoughts or maybe somehow sympathize or empathize with him or somewhere between those lines, then he cares. Right now, all he could think of is the thought that he really likes Baekhyun. He's not even confused anymore. He's sure. He likes Baekhyun. Baekhyun's kind, Baekhyun's caring, Baekhyun is well liked by Jungsoo, Baekhyun has a charming smile, and Baekhyun's... Everything is Baekhyun and nothing could hurt, right? Well, except for the fact that he's taken for all Chanyeol knows, but Chanyeol is willing to take anything he deserves. He's human, too. He deserves attention, he deserves caring for, he deserves kindness, and he thinks he deserves Baekhyun too. But behind everything is a problem that clouds his mind even more than Baekhyun. It's Yerin and he thinks he needs to let it all out and he thinks Baekhyun just presented the best gateway in which he could perfectly do just that.

 

"You're right, but what about Jungsoo? He's the one who asked for you to come here."

 

This shouldn't be happening in the first place. It should be the other way around because it's a given Chanyeol is the older one of the two and so he should be the one taking care of the younger, but it's not. Instead, it's Baekhyun taking care of him and he's taking as much as he could. 

 

"I'm sure he'll understand. He's a very caring kid."


 


 


 


 

 

 

Now Kyungsoo is with Jungsoo at a bookstore nearby. Chanyeol had given him a few thousand wons just in case Jungsoo might bother him to buy a story book he'll bother Kyungsoo about. It took a lot of convincing, in which Baekhyun was the strong persuader because he claims Chanyeol's not himself today and that Kyungsoo should just stop resisting not coming over. Anyway, Chanyeol was older than they are, so maybe Kyungsoo should do him a favor every once in a while. Chanyeol wasn't really asking for it, but Baekhyun was so persistent. Kyungsoo thinks it's just because to Baekhyun it's beneficial and would merit lots of alone time with Chanyeol or somewhere along those lines. Baekhyun, however, gives him that look that it's not—they're conversing through eye contact—and Kyungsoo gets just that. 

 

And well, they ended up in a bookstore because Kyungsoo says he has this book he's searching for that's important. He had also segued beforehand that he only ever agreed to drop by and temporary babysit Jungsoo, because the bookstore he's going to is nearer Chanyeol's pad. He's actually just itching to get himself the next volume of Shingeki No Kyojin, which he finds minutes later of searching. And only one copy right on one of the manga stands section of the bookstore! It's screaming 'If you're ready, come and get me!' He doesn't grab it as fast, though, because Jungsoo is running over to him.

 

Jungsoo claws at Kyungsoo's pants as if on cue, holding a story book entitled The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Kyungsoo looks thoroughly through the pages and rightfully pats Jungsoo on the head, because it's a good selection. The storybook teaches how to share and a lesson about love at the same time. So Jungsoo asks Kyungsoo to hold it and says promptly that he's going to search for more books.

 

He looks through the children's selections. He narrows his eyes on what looks like a mock Despicable Me book and walks away from it, scans his eyes through fairies and pixies and whatnot and it's just not what Jungsoo likes. He finds robots and do it yourself and is momentarily amused with how mirror-like one of the children's books are that he smiles when he sees his face through it.

 

However, Jungsoo is surprised when he hears a deep voice say, "Jungsoo-yah!" and before he sees him, he's backing away. He narrows his eyes the minute he hears it and it registers in his mind. It's the same like before, how deep and kind of dangerous it sounds. It's definitely not Kyungsoo, because he's hearing it not from behind and Kyungsoo is behind and Jungsoo was really just meaning to search for more books but who is this monster calling him. "Do you remember Jongin hyung?"

 

Jongin. Hyung.

 

Ah, the worst hyung.

 

Jungsoo covers his mouth in surprise and turns to his side to find Jongin looking at him and Jungsoo's running away to go searching for Kyungsoo, bumps on Kyungsoo's leg in his haste and clings for dear life.

 

Jungsoo almost trips as he bounds back over to where Kyungsoo is seconds later, clinging to his pants for dear life. 

 

"Kyungie hyung, I'm scared."

 

"Why?"

 

"Jongin hyung," Jungsoo whispers, but Kyungsoo doesn't hear it properly until he sees someone walking toward them. He automatically labels the lad walking toward them Mr. Tall, Dark, and... Handsome? Just that he looks exceptionally like a jerk. But ooh, he's holding a copy of Shingeki No Kyojin purchased and wrapped in plastic. It's apparently also the book Kyungsoo wants to buy.

 

"Jungsoo-yah," Jongin repeats, with a mischievous smile on his face. 

 

"You're scaring him!" Kyungsoo berates, switches to his full-on mode in a blink. "Did you just watch Monsters University? You should go apply if it's pending for a play. I'm sure you'll pass so well as a scarer."

 

"Excuse me?" Jongin has the audacity to look shocked, mouth hanging agape.

 

"I said you look like Mike Wazowski."

 

"Can't I be Sully? You look more like Mike with your eyes about to fall off."

 

"Close your mouth, because mosquitoes might fly over and you die a painful death."

 

"Die? Immediately, really?" Jongin looks at him ridiculously, almost smirks because what the hell? 

 

"Really," Kyungsoo defends. Kyungsoo's all so fired up, that he doesn't even notice Jungsoo tinkering with his phone in panic.

 

"What are you even saying?"

 

"Monsters Inc., Monsters University, ring a bell?!" Kyungsoo looks at Jongin incredulously.

 

"Of course I know that! I'm not stupid and I'm just saying hi to my friend's son, so what is the big deal!? And why are you even with the kid, anyway? If anything, I think you're the one in the wrong place here."

 

Kyungsoo glares at Jongin, but crouches to ask in whisper to Jungsoo, "Do you know him?" 

 

"Jongin hyung, appa's friend, but I don't like him," he shakes his head and looks up pleadingly to Kyungsoo wearing the get-me-away-from-him face.

 

"But he doesn't like you."

 

"Well, I was just saying hi. I don't know what the big idea out of that is?"

 

"You're being really sarcastic."

 

"And you're really y for a man your age. Are you on your period? And what's up with your eyes? They look like they're going to fall off."

 

"Excuse me!?"

 

"Excuse you!!"

 

But before the fight gets any bigger, someone says, "Jongin" from the side which is clearly Chanyeol, followed by Baekhyun, who calms his best friend.

 

Jongin places the big question in between the two groups apart. "Who is that person, Chanyeol?" he points at Kyungsoo right in front of his face, as if accusing. He seems in rage, really worked up with the situation.

 

"Whoa, calm down! They're Kyungsoo and Baekhyun from the nearby daycare."

 

"What's his name?" he points at Kyungsoo again.

 

"He's Kyungsoo and I forgot to mention. Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, he's..."

 

Jongin cuts in, "Jongin, thank you very much and I don't like you Mr. Kyungsoo."

 

"Well, I don't like you either!"

 

"Jongin, stop picking a fight!"

 

"I'm not!" Jongin justifies. "He so started it."

 

"Man up, we're not about to go on with this like kids."

 

"Whatever. Get me out of here, Chanyeol."

 

Chanyeol mouths a sorry to Kyungsoo and Baekhyun's direction, whilst asking for Jungsoo to come with Jongin and him as they leave.

 

Jungsoo frowns but does so anyway, every so often looking back at Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. Something seems to have registered on Jungsoo's face and he walks over to Kyungsoo and Baekhyun briefly to give Kyungsoo his phone. 

 

Kyungsoo looks at his phone like it's alien and why was it even with Jungsoo to begin with?

 

"Well, look at that Baek. I've been really warming up to the whole Park Chanyeol idea to say the least, but jerks for friends? Really?"


 

"Maybe he's not much of a jerk."

 

"He insulted me! He insulted my eyes, said they looked like they're about to fall off. He told me that I'm y for a man my age and asked me if I was on my p-p-period!?" Kyungsoo raged animatedly, gesturing with his hands and flailing all over the place.

 

"Maybe there was just miscommunication, Kyung."

 

"No, I don't really like whoever that Injong guy is."

 

"I think it's Jongin and I'm glad you called, or at least missed call me."

 

"I didn't call."

 

"Then Jungsoo might have. He returned your phone, after all. Anyway, what happened?"

 

"Whatever, Baek! I don't care. I just ughhh, it makes me cringe how much of a jerk whoever person that was."

 

"Oh, what's this?" Baek says, getting the book Kyungsoo's holding.

 

"See, I even forgot to buy this for Jungsoo because of that jerk."

 

"Let's check it out, then. We better get going now, too. Have you found that book you were looking for?"

 

"It was just here..." but when Kyungsoo turns around, it's nowhere and he briefly remembers the guy he was fighting with just earlier with probably the only copy left. “Baek, I think I'm about to have a nervous breakdown because the jerk just got the last copy as well!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Earlier with Baekhyun and Chanyeol...

 

"It's about Jungsoo's mother." Chanyeol sighs, walking alongside Baekhyun as they round a corner away from the bookstore and into a nearby park. Baekhyun just follows suit when Chanyeol sits down on one of the benches, purposely leaving that little space in between them as he sits beside the older.

 

"So the thing is really stupid," Chanyeol almost laughs, but he doesn't because he sounds like he just did something stupid that he regrets doing from the start. 

 

"It couldn't be that stupid if it affects you that much," Baekhyun offers.

 

"I mean I'm stupid, because I tried to call her," Chanyeol says finally."

 

Baekhyun tries to keep calm with the information Chanyeol is feeding him. He feels a pang in his heart. It's clearly jealousy, because he feels his heart slowly beginning to crack. So Chanyeol tried to call her and Baekhyun shouldn't really care, but he does. So much so that it hurts. 

 

"And?"

 

"And," Chanyeol pauses. "She answered."

 

And there goes a bigger crack. 

 

"I tried calling her these past 4 years and all the number's saying is that it's inactive, that it couldn't be called. It's out of coverage area… service. It said it was no longer existing, but then she answered. Last night. And she just had to ask about Jungsoo and I thought, 'why does she still care?' After leaving him, leaving us, I call her and she just says, 'oppa, I'm back' like isn't that one big joke!?" 

 

"But there must've been a reason you called."

 

"I wanted to know if she still cares."

 

"Then there goes your answer, Chanyeol. So why are you upset?" There's this really ugly lump in Baekhyun's throat he tries so hard to swallow. He doesn't really want to ask any more questions but then the question is tumbling out of his mouth without his control, "Do you still love her?" he asks finally, suppressing all possible emotions that could mean he's hurt. 

 

Chanyeol looks thoughtful for a moment, stares at the ground in contemplation before saying, "Of course I still do. I don't think there will come a time that I won't. I'll fight for her even if my parents forbid me to."

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol intently as he said that. He noticed the determination in his voice and could feel how much Chanyeol really loved Jungsoo's mother. He wonders just how much history they shared. If they were once complete as a family with a mother, a father, and Jungsoo. But something's intensely gone wrong and it's the pain in Baekhyun's heart. For a moment, he thinks he's lost all ability to breathe, air in his lungs escaping as his heart... he feels like his heart is constricting. It doesn't even matter that there's something lacking in Chanyeol's words. He doesn't sound like he's in love with Jungsoo's mother at all—it feels like it's only longing—a certain need, perhaps, but not of want. But then again, Baekhyun's too ignorant of those to analyze, because the pain in his heart is more apparent.

 

Chanyeol was only supposed to be a crush, but it's been some months they've known each other and Baekhyun think's his feelings has escalated rather quickly. Luhan only proved a temporary distraction, always bringing him along and accompanying him whenever Kyungsoo's nowhere to be seen. And sure, Luhan is a lot of different from Kyungsoo and a tiny bit more of a boyfriend material, just because Kyungsoo's his best friend. Even so, Baekhyun thinks no, because he actually has feelings for Chanyeol and it weighs a ton more. It's overflowing—that even if he tries to do as the older does to him in ignoring, he couldn't help but to still care for him. He couldn't help but to notice every little thing Chanyeol does. His feelings for him surpasses being friends, because sometimes he just doesn't care about Chanyeol's flaws anymore. He feels like embracing them as they come, but then there's Jungsoo and Jungsoo's mother and Chanyeol...Chanyeol just seems so near yet… too far.

 

It takes a minute before he says, "That's good," barely a whisper and not really well meant that his voice almost cracks. 

"Baekhyun, how do I tell him? All these years I've been fabricating all sorts of lies I could come up about her. It hurts when I lie to Jungsoo. I tell him she'll come back sometimes and sometimes I tell him she won't. Sometimes I tell him things I start believing after all the things I've told him and fed him for him to believe. I don't know how he's coping, which of which he believes, and I feel really awful. I think about what he's learning in life as he lives every day of his life with only me and I think it could’ve been so much better if she were here," Chanyeol says with a crooked expression on his face. He feels internally torn and slowly weakening inside that he wants to break down and cry, but he doesn't. It's Yerin's fault, he thinks, and she should be the one to fix this. 

 

"You're a good father, Chanyeol."

 

"But it's not just that. Look, Baek, I'm not—"

 

And just when Chanyeol's about to tell him the truth with that little push courage gave to him, Baekhyun's phone just had to start ringing. 

 

"It's Kyungsoo," Baekhyun informs. "I should probably answer." But even before Baekhyun could answer and fish his phone out, the ringing subsides and he turns to look at Chanyeol intently.

 

"Should we go check them out?"

 

"Yeah, let's go," and Baekhyun doesn't even notice he's holding Chanyeol's hand as they speed walk back to the book store just around the corner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Chanyeol reaches home with Jongin and Jungsoo right behind, Jongin reveals the big secret of why he's just near Chanyeol's own home. It sends Chanyeol in a fit of sighs and frustrated rubs of his fingers on his forehead, because Jongin is suddenly the source of his stress.

 

Turns out Jongin got fired from his job, but it's not just that because his mother's been bugging him to get another one pronto and Jongin just thinks he needs some time away from the work force and from the being that his mother is and well... that's not really a good thing. At least, for Chanyeol... and Jungsoo, because Jungsoo doesn't like Jongin and it's clear Jongin's expressing his want of wanting to live with Chanyeol and Jungsoo for as long as Chanyeol may allow or... well, maybe for as long as Jongin wants is more like it. 

 

"I just think work's boring. It's not for me. Do I look like it to you?" Jongin jumps on one of Chanyeol's couch, staying on it like a frog would in the same position. 

 

"But why me, of all people?" Chanyeol closes his eyes, allows himself to think for a moment, before looking pointedly at Jongin.

 

"Because you're my best friend." Jongin smiles.

 

"Right," Chanyeol raises his pointer finger, "but you've got to pay if you're staying."

 

"What, you too!? I asked Yixing the same thing and he said something about an interest. Now just when I thought you wouldn't charge me for it because I stuck with you through thick and thin, you're charging me as well? What are friends for, Chanyeol-ah?

 

"Okay, fine!" Chanyeol sighs. "For the first month you're good, but if you exceed there's got to be something in return. I haven't really been faring so well these days. My parents' loan is running out and I only started working a few months ago."

 

Jongin pouts at that.

 

"It doesn't suit you. Get the aegyo off your face, please," Chanyeol kicks Jongin playfully. "And don't you even contest to me the part that spells through thick and thin, because it's clear you didn't. Where were you these past months?" 

 

"But Jungsoo doesn't—" Jongin shakes his head in distress. "Ah, I know!! I'll just do anything you want me to around the house. Maybe I could wash your clothes so I don't need to pay," he points his pinky up, "or maybe I can laze around," then his ring finger, proceeding to raise both his hands altogether in an I-clearly-don't-know-what gesture.

 

"You're really stingy, aren't you? But I've got the Laundromat to do that for me and speaking of clothes... you're staying but what have you got?"

 

"I've got a backpack full of them," he supplies the backpack up the couch beside him, "but I might have to borrow some of yours after a month because the bag's half full of mangas."

 

"Jongin!!" Chanyeol berates. "You can't just barge in and ask me that you're living with me just because you're bored."

 

"Come on, Chanyeol-ah."

 

"You're really...what do you call it?" 

 

"I know. I know, I'll babysit Jungsoo when you're at work!!"

 

"But Jungsoo likes the daycare," Chanyeol counters.

 

"Then I could just fetch him and drop him off when you can't. You've got work, right? It's a win-win situation!"

 

Chanyeol thinks about it for a minute.

 

"Jungsoo doesn't even like you," Chanyeol argues.

 

"Then I'll make him like me," Jongin pleads. "Come on, it's not that hard to like me."

 

"Says you," Chanyeol points out. "But okay fine, only when it counts. I'll tell Jungsoo the arrangement tonight."

 

"Chanyeol-ah," Jongin says, looks at Chanyeol with a teary-eyed expression. "You're the best, man," and he glomps him.

 

"Get off me!!"

 

"But I love youuuuuu."

 

"Sorry, I have someone else."

 

Jongin gets off of Chanyeol and looks at him with wide eyes.

 

"Who??"

 

"Not telling. You might steal him from me before I confess."

 

"And he??"

 

"Why are people so shocked? It's not as though you're not gay yourself."

 

"Correction. I'm bi."

 

"Whatever. Same difference."

 

"Man, Jungsoo took so much of your youth. You sound so deprived of a love life that you're hitting on men."

 

"Shut up, I love the kid and I don't know, okay? Women just don't..."

 

"Yeah, sure."

 

"But speaking of which, she answered."

 

"She?" Jongin asks. "Ye-ye..."

 

"...rin. Yerin," Chanyeol supplies. "I called her, she answered."

 

"And what did she say?"

 

"Asked about Jungsoo."

 

"And?"

 

"She's back. Remember how I couldn't call her for 4 and a half years? I was just meaning to test call and it worked and he called me oppa and I just dropped the phone like that without answering. I felt so stupid, Jongin."

 

"Then give her son back."

 

"It's not that easy. I can't. I don't want to."

 

"So then his custody...."

 

"Exactly. Jongin, I need Jungsoo. She can't take him."

 

"That's really messed up."

 

"I treat him as my own."

 

"Really." And when Jongin says that, he means the situation. 

 

"Yeah." Chanyeol just rightfully agrees, head bowed as he sighs wistfully. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what are the chances Park Jungsoo leads Park Chanyeol to Byun Baekhyun?

 

 

More like when will Chanyeol ever be able to tell Baekhyun the truth before it's too late?

 

 

Maybe soon,

later,

or never.

 
 
 
 

A/N:

Extremely sorry for the long wait, everyone! Mian! T_T Life's just been really hectic for me with school work here and there and literally everywhere and then preliminary exams and org works and ohmylife. 

Also, I think I should really... never mind. Oh, and this is The Giving Tree. It may or may not be my favorite story book growing up. It's that story book Jungsoo grabbed at the book store. :) 

Tell me what you think? ^_^ And if you still haven't checked out my one-shot (LOLI shamelessy plug my fics), it's here, entitled Everything Has Changed, with Chanyeol and Baekhyun as well.