Amnesia: Part 4

Fated to Meet You

Dr. Jung retured to the room a few hours later, ruffling his hair. "Oh? Youngsaeng still hasn't woken up yet?"

They shook their heads.

"Why don't you come back tomorrow morning?" he suggested. "He should be awake by then."

After the five boys left, Dr. Jung approached Youngsaeng. "You're awake, right?"

Youngsaeng turned around from his side position and looked up at the doctor. "Yeah, I am."

"Why did you pretend you were asleep?"

"I wanted to listen to their private conversations," Youngsaeng replied honestly. "I thought that perhaps I could remember something. But what Kyujong hyung said to Hyunjoong hyung only confused me."

"What'd he say?"

"He said that I was Hyunjoong hyung's light at the end of the tunnel. I gave hyung a happiness that him and Jungmin could've never gave."

Dr. Jung patted Youngsaeng on the head lightly on the head with a smile. "I'm sure you'll understand with time. For now, just sleep. They'll be back tomorrow."

The otter nodded and this time, actually fell asleep. Dr. Jung sighed and plopped down onto the couch, exhausted.

 

The next morning, the five came to the hospital all together and saw Youngsaeng sitting up and staring out the window.

"Hyung!" Hyungjun exclaimed and ran up to Youngsaeng. "Do you remember anything?"

Youngsaeng gazed blankly at the younger boy and didn't speak.

"Youngsaeng," Hyunjoong started. "Kyujong has something to give back to you."

The young boy looked expectingly at Kyujong. The boy took the collar out of his pocket and showed it to Youngsaeng.

"Here, this is the collar you gave me for safekeeping at the elevator," Kyujong said. "You told me to give it back to you once I saw you again."

Youngsaeng took it and stared at it for a while and suddenly, flashbacks occurred. The times when the collar was involved.

 

"About him. Well, my dog died about two weeks and before he died, he would always go out in the morning and come back in the evening. I would always have dreams of playing with you at the river bank and stuff."

"You must be HJ's owner, Hyunjoong," Youngsaeng said, placing the collar in the boy's palm.

"Then that means you're Youngsaeng, right?" Hyunjoong assured. "Nice to meet you."

"Do you know him?" Hyungjun murmured from behind him.

"He's... a friend of mine's owner. A dog, HJ, died during summer break and he became friends with me before he passed away."

"Nice to meet you, too," he greeted.

"These are my friends," Hyunjoong introduced, motioning the other two to come forward. "Park Jungmin and Kim Kyujong."

"Neh, annyeonghaseyo. This is my friend Kim Hyungjun."

Jungmin grinned. "You seem to have forgotten to introduce someone."

"Nugu?"

"Yourself, of course. What's your name?" Kyujong asked with a smile.

"Nado...? Uh... My name is Heo Youngsaeng."

___________________________

"And... if you agree, you get HJ's collar back," Hyunjoong remarked with a grin.

"What type of trade is that? You know I wanted that collar and now you're using it against me?"

___________________________

"If I don't make it, tell Hyung that I will always be watching over him. There's no need to worry about me."

"I won't tell him. I believe that I will see you again," Kyujong told him.

"Also, take care of that for me and when you see me again, give it to me."

"Yeah, I will definitely do so."

 

"Kim Hyunjoong..." Youngsaeng murmured and then looked up at the older boy. "I'm... your girlfriend...?"

"Oh! You remember!" he exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"But, I'm a guy! How's that possible?"

"So, he only remembers the times when the collar was involved," Jungmin said.

Hyungjun thought deeply. "When the collar was involved... That's also when we all introduced ourselves! Hyung, do you remember us now?"

"I... only remember your names..." he murmured. "Park Jungmin, Kim Kyujong, Kim Hyungjun and Kim Hyunjoong... That's it..."

"Nothing else?" Kyujong asked with hopeful eyes but the young otter shook his head. "No, nothing..."

"Can you try digging into your memory again? Perhaps it's unblocked now," Jungmin requested.

Youngsaeng looked down and closed his eyes, trying to remember. Heartbeat. Sirens. Footsteps. Gun click. Kyujong, him and Hyunjoong at the elevator. Number increasing. BAM.

Again, pain seared through his head, preventing him from looking any further. Squealing in pain, he brought his hands up to his head and clutched it, his eyes tightly closed and his teeth grit together. Hyunjoong and Hyungjun quickly tried to take care of him while the other two looked at Youngsaeng in confusion.

"What is this...?" Kyujong murmured. "How come he can remember stuff normally but he can't look into his memories. It's like his memories are locked up somewhere and you need a key to get in."

Suddenly, Jungmin came to an epiphany and grasped Kyujong by the shoulder. "Kyujong hyung! You're a genius!"

Kyujong smirked and raised his eyebrows. "Well, if I do say so myself."

"No, that's what we need. We need a key, something to unlock his memories. Something with an impact so big that it will be able to break that lock!"

Hyunjoong stood up and looked at Jungmin. "And what may that be?"

"I, to tell the truth, have no idea," Jungmin confessed. "But that's what we need. If we can break that lock, that chain that is preventing him from connecting with his past memories, then everything will be solved."

"Excuse me," a female voice came from the door.

They saw a woman standing there with a worried expression on her face. "Youngsaeng is here, right?"

"Auntie!" Hyungjun exclaimed in relief and quickly ran up to her. "Youngsaeng hyung's right there."

She quickly walked to the bed and saw Youngsaeng staring up at her, cocking his head to the side in confusion. "Auntie...?"

"Umm.... Why does he seem so confused?" she asked around, looking at the others.

"He has amnesia," Hyunjoong told her. "He couldn't remember who we were until just now."

"Honey," she started. "Are you okay? Do you remember me?"

He stared at her blankly and then nodded. "You're auntie... right?"

With teary eyes and a relieved smile, she wrapped her arms around her. "Yeah, I'm your aunt. I'm so glad you remembered me."

"But... I don't know you..." she suddenly heard him murmur. "Why are you my aunt...?"

She hurriedly pulled away and stared at him in shock. "Youngsaeng-ah! It's auntie! Do you not remember me?"

He shook his head. "Hyungjun just said that you were my aunt but... I don't know you..."

Feeling faint in shock, the woman took a step backward and almost fell when Kyujong quickly supported her from behind. "Be careful," he murmured.

Recomposing herself, she stood up and thanks Kyujong and stepped towards Youngsaeng. "Saengie-ah... It's okay if you don't remember but... do you remember your past?"

"My past...?" he echoed and shook his head. "I only remember Eunmi noona..."

"Eunmi? Kim Eunmi?"

"Neh... I wonder where she is... ..."

Hyunjoong felt his heart sting. The whole time, Youngsaeng was thinking about another girl and had no interest in regaining his memories?

"Youngsaeng," he started. "Do you want to remember your past?"

"Of course I do," Youngsaeng replied simply. "I feel empty without my memories. As if I was just randomly placed into this world without a childhood."

"How come you only remember Eunmi and the animals you communicated with?" Jungmin questioned.

"Eunmi was a special person to me," Youngsaeng answered, unaware of Hyunjoong's feelings. "She was the only one that was able to make me laugh and cry and all of that. I don't remember much but that's something I just know. And the animals... I don't know how but... I think animals have always been part of my life."

"Youngsaeng," Hyunjoong started. "Just how special is Eunmi to you?"

They saw him look away, his cheeks turning light pink. Jungmin grinned widely and locked his arm around the boy's neck. "Aww... So she was your first love?"

Hyunjoong couldn't take it anymore and turned, walking out of the room.

"Ya hyung! Where are you going?" Kyujong exclaimed, rushing after him.

He angled his head a bit and whispered. "Stop... I just have to calm down a bit..."

Understanding his situation, Kyujong let him leave and went back to the others.