Amnesia: Part 2

Fated to Meet You

The next day, he hurried to the hospital to find that Youngsaeng was awake and was talking to Dr. Jung. He listened from behind the door.

"What details do you remember from that incident?" he heard Dr. Jung asked the boy.

"Well, that last time I dug through my memories, I barely remembered anything," Youngsaeng answered. "I remembered that I was in a room and there were footsteps slowly walking past me, I could see the shadows. And then there was the sound of the click of a gun. After that... Oh right, I saw the elevator floor number going up and then BAM, the explosion."

"And if you go past the footsteps, your head starts to hurt?"

There was silence. He could imagine Dr. Jung thinking hard about this.

"It seems like there's something blocking your memory," Dr. Jung finally concluded a few minutes later. "I'm not sure what Ms. Kim did but after she took off the mask, the lack of air probably caused some damage to your brain, causing amnesia but this situation is unheard of. Patients never had something blocking their memory or anything that prevented them from remembering."

"Do you have any idea why?"

Hyunjoong opened the door and the two turned around.

"Eo, Hyunjoong, what are you here for?" Dr. Jung asked him.

"Just visiting," he frankly answered and walked to Youngsaeng. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," Youngsaeng replied. "Your name's Hyunjoong? Are you the person that I was trying to save at that hotel party?"

"You remember?"

"Dr. Jung told me."

"Why was I trying to save you?" the younger boy asked.

"I don't know. You told Kyujong and I to go to the roof and then knocked me unconscious when I tried to pull you into the elevator. I have no idea what happened until I woke up on the bench and everyone said you were dead," Hyunjoong explained.

"Was I your friend?" Youngsaeng asked curiously.

The older boy gulped. "Well... Yeah, you were a friend..."

"You must've been a really precious friend," the boy said knowingly. "You mentioned a boy named Kyujong. Who is he?"

"Kim Kyujong's your friend and my friend. There's also Park Jungmin, who's the same."

"Oh... Kyujong and Jungmin... And Hyungjun is my bestfriend right?"

"He's your childhood friend," Hyunjoong added. "And yeah, a bestfriend."

"I see... Oh yeah, where are my parents?"

Dr. Jung and Hyunjoong stared at him. He didn't even remember that.

"You... don't have any..." Dr. Jung said slowly. "I think they passed away when you were young."

"No, only your mom passed away," Hyunjoong corrected. "Your dad abandoned you in front of an orphanage."

"Then... who takes care of me?"

"Your aunt pays for your fees and such."

"Is she coming to see me?" Youngsaeng asked.

Dr. Jung stepped forward. "We contacted her last night and she said that she was coming."

Youngsaeng nodded.

"Doctor, when will Youngsaeng be discharged?" he asked Dr. Jung.

"It's going to take a while," the man revealed, his hands in his pockets. "His injuries were pretty severe. They're recovering steadily but... It's just going to take at least a month until he can walk again."

"Would you mind if I bring him out in a wheelchair?"

"I think a breath of freshair will do him good. Why don't you bring him somewhere for a while?" Dr. Jung told him.

A while later, Hyunjoong wheeled Youngsaeng out of the hospital. The sitting boy breathed deeply. "The air's so fresh compared to the hospital."

Hyunjoong nodded. "Do you still know how to talk to animals?"

"Of course I do. I've always known how to," Youngsaeng replied.

Surprised, Hyunjoong didn't say anything for a while.

"Where are we going?" Youngsaeng asked.

"I'm thinking of bringing you to the places where we went before," Hyunjoong told him. "Places with, probably, the biggest impact."

The first place Hyunjoong wheeled him to was the aquarium.

"What are we here for?"

"You probably don't remember but the two of us, just the two of us, came here to hang out," he murmured. "I'm should take you to visit a few of your friends."

Hyunjoong paid for passes and the two entered the aquarium. He immediately headed to the underground beluga exhibit. He stopped the wheelchair right in front of the window and looked around for the beluga.

"Is there where a beluga lives?" Youngsaeng asked curiously.

Hyunjoong nodded. "You became friends with this beluga and I'm trying to find her."

"Oh! I see her, she's swimming here!" Youngsaeng exclaimed. "Aurora! How are you?"

"Oh, there she is! Her name--" suddenly, he cut off. "Wait, you know her name? How?"

"It just... came to me..." Youngsaeng confessed with a shrug and turned back to the beluga with a shrug. "Oh, nothing big happened. I just had an accident and can't walk for another month or so."

He paused for a few seconds and then chuckled. "Nope, nothing to worry about. Soon, I'll be up and about again. Are Flipper and Lulu here today?"

Hyunjoong was taken aback by his ability of recognition. How was he able to remember all the animals' names yet not even his aunt or Hyungjun?

"Oh really? They're sleeping right now? Okay then, I won't disturb them. Thanks though," Youngsaeng whispered. "Yeah, I'll definitely come to visit you again soon. Okay then, bye."

"Oh? Saying farewell so soon?" Hyunjoong asked.

"She said that her training was calling her over so she had to go."

"Okay then. Flipper and Lulu are asleep...? Then, let's go to the restaurant."

The older boy pushed the wheelchair up to the wheelchair they had gone to. Right when they neared the restaurant, Youngsaeng gagged.

"Youngsaeng? What's wrong?"

"Can we not go to the restaurant? Are you sure that's the right one?"

"Yeah, of course. I asked you if you wanted to go and you said yes," Hyunjoong told the younger boy.

"Are you sure it was me that you asked? I couldn't have agreed since I hate fish."

"You... don't like fish...?"

Youngsaeng nodded. "I get sick just by the smell."

Suddenly, Hyunjoong remembered when Youngsaeng had ran out of the restaurant. It was because of the strong smell.

"So that's why you ran out of there in such a hurry after our meal..." Hyunjoong muttered. "How about clams?"

"I'm fine with clams."

Finally being able to piece everything together, he nodded. "Let's go see the otters then."

"Otters?"

"Yep. I gave you that nickname. Heo Sudal."

"What? Why that animal?"

"Because you look like one," Hyunjoong chuckled lightly.

Youngsaeng pouted and soon, they saw the otter exhibit. Looking in, he saw the sea otters floating on their backs, asleep.

"Aw... They were asleep the last time we saw them, too," Hyunjoong remarked. "That's too bad."

"Hey look!" Youngsaeng exclaimed with a bright smile. "They're holding hands! Isn't that sweet? They hold hands when they sleep."

The older boy smiled. Just like the first time they had seen the otters.

"Do you want to head to the next place now?"

Youngsaeng looked up at the boy. "Sure."

Exiting the aquarium, Hyunjoong took him to the school stadium and showed him the painting of the golden retriever, Hachi and him. Hyunjoong told him who was on their.

"That boy is you. That big golden dog was my pet and your friend. His name was HJ, do you remember him?"

Youngsaeng didn't say anything for a while but then Hyunjoong saw him nod slightly. "Yeah... I do... HJ was that person who made my life suddenly brighter than before... But... he passed away."

"That small dog is Hachi, your pet dog that HJ gave to you to take care of."

"Hachi? Isn't he at my house right now? Who's taking care of him?" Youngsaeng asked anxiously, his eyes full of concern and worry.

Hyunjoong smiled. "Don't worry, my maid's making sure to bring him out on a walk twice a day and is feeding him well."

Sighing in relief, he turned to look up at the older boy. "Can we go visit my house? I want to see Hachi."

The two left the school and headed up the hill towards Youngsaeng's house. When they got there, Hyunjoong rang the doorbell and the maid opened the door. "Welcome, master."

He bowed and wheeled Youngsaeng in. They heard a light bark from down the hall and out came Hachi from the shadows, running towards Youngsaeng and pouncing onto his lap, his owner happily in the face. Youngsaeng laughed. "Hachi, stop it. Hachi!"

Once the puppy had calmed down, they left the house with Hachi sleeping on Youngsaeng's lap. The maid stayed in the house to clean up.

"Hachi seems to be really attached to you."

Youngsaeng nodded. "I'm his owner. Dogs are like their owners and they're extremely loyal companions."

"HJ was a precious companion."

There was a moment of silence until Youngsaeng spoke up again. "Where are we going?"

"To the river bank. You, HJ, and Hachi used to play there."

When they arrived, Youngsaeng didn't say anything and just stared at the sparkling river and the lush green grass. He saw images and illusions of him, HJ and Hachi still there on the grass, playing together. Without him knowing, a tear slid down his cheek.

"Youngsaeng?" Hyunjoong murmured worriedly, bending down.

"Hyung..." Youngsaeng started.

"Neh?"

"Can we go to the track?"

Hyunjoong turned the wheelchair and started walking towards the destination. "Youngsaeng, you remember now, don't you? After seeing that river."

"I remember the times of when I was with HJ and how I got Hachi but I still don't know Jungmin, Kyujong, Hyungjun or... You..."

Hyunjoong felt a pang of sadness in his heart. Youngsaeng, the boy he had feelings for, couldn't even remember him. Soon, they arrived at the track and Youngsaeng stared down at the red oval with white lines.

"Tell me... Did I love to run?" Youngsaeng asked.

Hyunjoong felt a bit pitiful for Youngsaeng. He couldn't even remember what his favorite thing to do was.

"You definitely loved to run," Hyunjoong told him. "But then you were involved in an accident, damaging your ligament, preventing you from running again. And now, you just hurt it again."

"HJ brought back my hopes again," Youngsaeng revealed. "But I knew that I could not continue running so I wanted to become someone who could help others so they didn't have to become like me, losing their favorite sport and hobby."

"A doctor?"

Youngsaeng nodded. "If I did that, maybe others would be able to receive some happiness."

"How much do you remember?"

"Up to the part where I saw HJ running on the track. He disappeared as he ran past me and I clutched onto his collar, kneeling over there, at the fence... crying..." Youngsaeng murmured under his breath.

Hyunjoong furrowed his eyebrows. Confused at what the young boy was saying. "Pardon...?"

"Just up to the part when HJ passed away," Youngsaeng said again, this time louder.

"At least you remember that," Hyunjoong replied with a smile. "Let's go back now. You need some rest."