Chapter 5:The Show

Snow White and Seven and the Dwarves

Sandara immediately sprayed the medication in after she bought it. The lack of air drained too much of her body’s energy, and her lungs were like swimming in water because she lacked too much air. Her eyes were stinging because of the tears that had escaped from them, and honestly, she was already tired. Maybe this is another reason why she can’t withstand outdoors anymore, because she isn’t that much prepared both emotionally, mentally and physically.

 

She sat on one of the pharmacy’s installed benches, and watched the show showed on the television in front of her. It was a show where the hosts interviews celebrities, and the audience today sure was very excited about the guests. They couldn’t stop screaming and shouting “Oppa!”

 

“Ah, those two sure are the idols of the century, right?” One of the pharmacists commented, dreamily and as if on cue, two men clad in fashionable clothes got out from the moving LED screen.

 

Sandara’s eyes almost dropped out of its sockets as soon as she saw the men’s faces. It was Jiyong and Youngbae, the ones she saved from the street from a beefy thief. She was amazed by how famous they were with all the squealing and shrieking and screaming coming from the people inside the pharmacy. They were like, “Oh it’s G-Dragon!” and “Kyaa, it’s Taeyang!”

 

Sandara turned to the person beside her, an old man about in his eighties and asked, “Ahjussi, do you know the possible time slots where I can watch G-Dragon and Taeyang?”

 

Fortunately, the old man heard her and turned to her. He flashed out his toothless cavern and said, “I’m sorry, agassi but I don’t watch them as often as these fan girls do.”

 

“They’ll appear at the Strong Heart special later!” One answered. Sandara didn’t know who that was, and she didn’t care to find out. She just stared at the old man in front of her.

 

“Are you in love?” He whispered, chuckling. There were reminiscing in the old man’s eyes, as if he remembers something back in his teenage days. He smiled, and said, “I’ve only loved one woman in my eighty five years of existence.”

 

“Congratulations for you two.” Sandara commented, smiling sweetly at the old man.

 

He only nodded, slowly and his smile turned into a frown. “I waited for her for sixty five years and she never came back. I didn’t find anyone to replace her, because in my heart,” He placed his palm over his chest. “She’ll always be the woman I will always cherish. She promised that she’ll meet me in this pharmacy and ever since then, I’ve waited. I’ve waited for every renovation and every demolition it takes.”

 

“What happened to her?” Sandara asked, keeping her voice audible enough to hear amidst of the squeals coming from both the television and the fangirls inside the pharmacy.

 

The old man flashed a smile, a painful and sad one and answered, “She got married to another man.”

 

“Why would you still wait?” She asked again. The old man looked at her with hope, as if waiting for almost his whole life for that girl was bearable and answered again, “I love her.”

 

Sandara frowned. Love wasn’t in her dictionary, but like, perhaps. What love was left when her family died? What love was left when her stepmother lies? Her heart is only limited to liking someone, just how she likes the characters from the manga she reads. But to love one, was there a necessity?

 

The old man held both of her hands in his own, smiling, gum less at her and said, “You have to learn to love someone to understand the meaning of sacrifice. I know what you’re going through, dear. I’m a fortune teller, though male. Living behind the bars and being left alone will definitely turn you into a loveless person. But feel deep down inside why you were hidden and why you want to keep hidden. You have every chance, my dear these past twenty years but why you kept yourself hidden?”

 

“I-I don’t-I-I don’t really know the answer, ahjussi.” Sandara stuttered, her face flustered.

 

“Think my dear.” The old man suggested, staring deeply into her eyes. “Think and you’ll find the answer.”

 

Sandara suddenly jerked her hands away from his grip when the fangirls around them shrieked, and she stared at the old man fearfully as he now put his attention towards the television show.