Chapter 15:The Wheels Of The Bus (Goes 'Round and 'Round)

Snow White and Seven and the Dwarves

“It’s just twelve, we still have a plenty of time.” Jiyong said as they approach the bus stop. “I’m going to bring you to a place where my ex-girlfriends insist on going but I keep on refusing because I don’t feel like having a date there.”

“Why?” Sandara asked.

“I’m a celebrity, Sandara. I have to keep a low profile on my dating at all costs. And I don’t like dating there because it’s too public… and childish.” He admitted, squeezing her hand. “This is the first time I’m going to bring a girl for a date there.”

Sandara looked up at him, amused and said, “Are you saying this is your first time?”

Jiyong looked down at her, beaming and answered, “This is a first time, indeed.”

Sandara laughed, causing for her hand that Jiyong was holding to slightly move and loosen and muttered, “You sound like Christian Grey.”

He looked at her, bewildered and asked, “He’s your ex-boyfriend?”

Sandara blushed as she shook her head rapidly and answered, “He’s a literary character.”

“You sound like you both are close and had struggled together.” Jiyong commented, not amused at all."You got me there for a minute.”

“I was-“ Sandara gulped. “The book was full of-“

“Of?” Jiyong prompts.

“ual interactions.” She finished, and her words were left hanging in the air. Good thing, the bus arrived quickly after and she hadn’t had to endure the embarrassment. They both climbed in, and Jiyong was the one who paid their fare, slipping two dollars into the box at the front. He momentarily releases his hold to her hand to let her walk first along the aisle, and Sandara sat in the fifth row near the window. Jiyong sat beside her.

Sandara didn’t know why this day, she always thought of that book, where Christian Grey was the male lead. All throughout the date, she connects it with the book. And even how much she tries to control herself, it wasn’t that easy. Her mind just keeps on running without control, like a person in a full course of liberty.

“When I was a kid,” Sandara started, trying to start a conversation. “My father used to bring me to a temple where our ancestors were buried. He always said that we need to give thanks for all our folks did to make our lives easier through the food business. It was a blessing we should give thanks about every year.” She looked down at her knotted hands. “But when my father died, and my stepmother and I visited the temple to bury him, I had this feeling not to give thanks when visiting but instead, ask why and why and why.” Sandara smiled, bitterly. “Of course, I didn’t have the chance to bombard my ancestors with questions because my stepmother locked me up inside the house and forbid me to go out.”

Jiyong placed his hand over Sandara, and slightly grazed her knuckles with his thumb. “Just pour it all out.” He encouraged.

Sandara was comforted, much more comforted than she was with Bom. It feels good to have someone other than Bom to talk to and to lean on. Besides, the alien feeling she has for Jiyong is still undefined and she can’t talk about it to him. That would be very embarrassing.

They were already at their stop when Sandara ended her story. She felt like turned into sandpaper, and her saliva had dried up. Jiyong intertwined his fingers again with hers and dragged her up when he stood up.

“This is our stop.” He announced when he saw the questioned look in Sandara’s eyes. “And I’m going to share the way back home so we’re even.”

They walk up to the aisle without breaking their intertwined hands, with Sandara leading the way. Sandara thought maybe it was because there were a couple of men looking scary and beef, occupying all the seats at the front row, or it was because Jiyong is too worried.

Sandara gaped as soon as she got down, and appearing in the line of her vision, was a huge theme park. She badly wanted to visit one, but then because of her stepmother’s strict regulations, she had to set the want aside. And to think Jiyong was going to bring her here, makes her want to jump and just kiss him on the spot.

Sandara blushed at the thought.

“Thank you.” She managed, without the kiss and the hug. Then she felt Jiyong’s breath against her ear, and he whispered, “I thought you’re going to kiss me when I bring you here. My expectations are overboard, I think.”

Sandara blushed again, and she turned hastily to Jiyong, too hasty that their noses touched. “You’re too full of yourself.” She croaked, and then quickly cleared . “If you bring me to Paris maybe I would kiss you.” That sounded better.

“Maybe, I will.” He whispered, and leaned forward, his lips just a millimeter from Sandara’s. The latter quickly whipped her head away, blushing to the tip of her toes and muttered, crossing her arms, “I don’t believe.”

Jiyong shrugged, and said, “Or I can bring you there on our honeymoon.”

And it was enough to bring Sandara into the biggest and walking tomato in the world.