Chapter 16: The Meat Shop

Snow White and Seven and the Dwarves

They tried various rides. Sandara insisted on the soft rides while Jiyong insisted on the hardcore rides. Sandara can’t stop looking at Jiyong every time they take the soft rides. Sometimes, he would smile as if he was back to being a child again and sometimes, he would frown as if the elves singing “It’s A Small World” is the ugliest idea of all. But of course, she can’t deny the look on his face when they entered the haunted house. He was holding her waist all throughout the ride, and to at least satisfy his needs, Sandara feigned she was frightened by the fake ghouls, wrapping her arms around Jiyong’s waist and burying her face in the crook of his neck.

 

After riding the roller coaster, they both sat on one of the benches in the outdoor park, gazing at the line of the Ferris wheel while drinking sodas. The sun was now ready to set, but Sandara can’t feel any hunger since morning. Maybe because she’s too entertained, or too happy.

 

The line to the ferries wheel decreased, and Jiyong stood up from his seat, eagerly. “Let’s try this for the last ride.” He says, outreaching his hand to Sandara. She gratefully accepted it, and off they went to the line.

 

They were served last, and the Ferris wheel’s staff decided they’re closed for the day. The machine started to fire up, and they were both lifted up to the sky slowly. But once they reach the top, the ride stopped and Sandara peered down to see.

 

“Maybe it’s the fireworks.” Jiyong said, and Sandara turned back to him. He caresses the back of her palm with his thumb, and says, “They always start the fireworks before the dusk and stops it when it’s already night.”

 

And as if on cue, the pyromusical starts. Every firecracker reveals and pops along with the music, with the every crack, boom and pop. It was colorful, the firecrackers adorned the dusk with its kaleidoscopic colors and just like it was magical, the pyromusical ended at the first touch of the night. Sandara clapped happily, but it was muffled because her other hand was still intertwined with Jiyong’s.

 

The ferries wheel started to move again, and Sandara didn’t forget to mutter her thanksgiving to Jiyong. “Thanks.” She croaked, because was still dry.

 

“You’re welcome.” Jiyong managed to say, even though he just wanted her, the only one to talk. “But I think I owe you some of the pieces of my life.”

 

Sandara turned to him eagerly, her bright dark eyes dilating. Jiyong only chuckled with this, and said, “I was fairly normal when I was a kid. I have an older sister, and she has her own clothing line. She started with the business when I was just training at YGE. From the very start, my parents weren’t against with my career. I appeared on some shows when I was just a kid, I was five I think, and then attended training schools apart from attending regular classes every day. But my life turned three hundred sixty degree when I thought maybe entertaining wasn’t my thing, because I kept on failing and failing and failing. I tried being a painter, a writer and all sorts of job you could ever think of but nothing of it interests me. And I keep failing, and failing and failing. Then my sister insisted on me auditioning to YGE. I agreed, only half-heartedly and was accepted. I trained, failed but still worked hard until I debuted as a solo artist along with Youngbae. I continually fail but I always, always keep in mind what my sister said, and quoted when she was persuading me to audition. Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe. She was quoting Albert Einstein and telling me the same time I was stupid. Of course, people fail and you just have strived harder to succeed. It’s just a matter of time, determination and luck.”

 

The half-gate opens and Sandara stepped out before Jiyong, their hands still intertwined. Sandara wondered if it was okay with Jiyong, to let their hands intertwined all the time even if their palms are starting to get sweaty.

 

 People are starting to go home after the fireworks, and the speakers installed around conveyed a message that the park will close after half an hour. Jiyong tugged Sandara’s hand lightly and said, “Let’s eat at the nearby shop out there. They have eat-all-you-can meat.”

 

“Okay.” Sandara answered, and they walked with the cloud of people going out of the theme park. Jiyong led the way towards the shop he was talking about. It was about twenty to thirty foot tall traditional Korean house with the gate as the little hint of modernity. They both went inside, and Sandara gasped to the interior designing. She never had experienced living in a traditional house, even when her parents were still alive. Their house was already built with concrete when she was born, and the only traditional house she has gotten inside was the temple of their ancestors in the outskirts of Samcheong-dong—and it wasn’t a house but a temple.

 

Inside, the restaurant’s ceiling was low but it’s not a problem since you need to cross your legs to eat. The tables were also low, its legs roughly reaching a foot and floors weren’t made from tiles, and it was made from wood and some smooth material Sandara doesn’t know.

 

Jiyong tugged her hand but when she’s about to step inside, he stopped her foot with his foot, her heel against his toes. Sandara looked at him, confused and noticing her naïveté, he answered, “Take off your shoes and place it beside mine.”

 

Sandara obliged as she was told and stepped inside. She felt the cold seeping right from her feet and she shivered. Jiyong must have noticed her, because he turned his head and asked, “Cold?”

 

“Just coping.” She answered, her voice barely audible and he just beamed. Jiyong led her farther inside the room, passing by a group of girls already eating. Sandara barely noticed from the line of her view a white lump from the table, and it was too late to skip across it when it stretched, knocking her over. She fell face first on the floor, the air leaving her chest when she slammed against the floor and gasped.

 

“Christ, Sandara!” Jiyong cried out and helped her to sit up. Sandara heaved, her breathing ragged and distressed. The girls from the table laughed, but it quickly died when Jiyong glared towards them. Sandara was sure they were the ones who knocked her from her feet.

 

“Are you okay?” Jiyong asked, brushing the hair covering her face away to examine if she contained any bruises. Sandara nodded, and whispered, “Let’s just eat.”

 

Jiyong helped her up to her feet and much faster than last time, led her to their table. It was far from the other table, and it felt secluded. She just noticed there was a door when Jiyong leaned forward from his seat to close it, and the noise died down.

 

“I got tripped by the girls who were laughing a while ago.” Sandara admitted. “They were looking at you when you passed by, and glared at me when they saw you were holding my hand.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Jiyong held her hand once again and brushed the back of her palm using his thumb. “This is the first time I had a date without covering my face.”

 

“You always cover your face when you went on dates?” She asked, bewildered. On the corner of her eye, she saw the waiter wait patiently beside a table with the picture of a pig, holding two menus.

 

Jiyong closed his eyes, as if contemplating on the question and when they open again, they were burning with anger. “I have to hide my identity or I would be the talk of town and I will cause my girlfriends harm. Besides, dating secretly is a game I enjoyed. But…” His voice trailed off. “My relationships don’t last for more than three months, because it all ends to the reason that I wasn’t more than enough, I’m not the one for them and dating a celebrity is a pain in their stupid .” He sighed, heavily. “I’m always broken-hearted and left alone.” Then, he looked back at her, eyes shining like a kaleidoscope and continued, “When I met you, I realized my game should be changed already, because you’re so special. So, I tried dating you normally, like what couples normally do on their first dates. And I loved it. It made me relax.”

 

“So, this is a first?” Sandara asked, obviously flattered but tried to hide the excitement in her voice.

 

Jiyong shrugged. “If that’s how you want to put it, yes.”

 

Sandara can’t help but smile, and just nodded. “You really act like Christian Grey.”

 

“Let me order for us.” Jiyong said, but it didn’t go unnoticed for Sandara the smirk etched on his face and beckoned the waiter for the menu. But instead of the waiter who was waiting a while ago, a much more dressed man walked up to them. He has a brighter set of teeth than Jiyong that sparks whenever he smiles, and a glossy black hair that has gray streaks.

 

“It seems that you’re not alone, Jiyong. Can you introduce me, perhaps?” He said as he hands one menu to Jiyong, and when he handed the other one to Sandara, she declined it with a smile. She noticed that he calls Jiyong by his name, which means he’s a close friend but the part where he says that Jiyong goes alone to this restaurant is still a mystery to her.

 

“Oh, where are my manners.” Jiyong cried, chuckling and set down the menu on the table. “Sandara, this is the manager of this restaurant, Mr. Kim. Mr. Kim, this is Sandara, my soon-to-be girlfriend.”

 

“Great to meet you.” Mr. Kim smiled again at her, and Sandara thought she’ll be momentarily blind again. “Same here.” She managed to say, and smile.

 

“Jiyong always goes here alone to eat when he wants to celebrate just by himself. It’s really a shock for me to see him with someone.” Mr. Kim answered the unattended question inside Sandara’s head. She nods, understandingly and turned to Jiyong, coy to talk with the manager further.

 

Their gazes met, and Jiyong must’ve got the detail that’s she’s unease, because he ordered right away without looking at the menu, his stupor darting back at Mr. Kim. “We’ll have two plates of the brisket, two cups of rice and one chilled Sauvignon Blanc.”

 

Mr. Kim grins, and collects the menu. “Okay.” He said, and went away.

 

Sandara takes her hand off Jiyong’s grip and leaned forward, crossing her arms on the table and placing her head on top. “So,” She starts. “You celebrate by yourself. Isn’t that lonely?”

 

“I don’t want to bring anyone else here, because I found it first. I don’t want to share it yet.” He answered, smirking down at her as Sandara nuzzles her arm.

 

“Why did you bring me here, then?” She asks, opening her eyes and gaze at him under her eyelashes. Jiyong leaned forward, closing their gap to a millimeter and answered, “Because I can.” His breath tickled her nose, and Sandara quickly ducked her head inside the cavern her arms made.

 

This is bad. Sandara scold at herself, inwardly and told her heart, mentally holding it. You need to know when and who to beat at! Jiyong reminds me of Christian Grey, and you know what the latter is into in the novel! Okay, he isn’t that so bad except for the fact he-he… Whatever! Just don’t let Jiyong get you.

 

Sandara heard footsteps, and she lifted her head up. She saw the waiter before holding up a tray with their order and quickly, she fixed herself up. The waiter placed the tray on the table, gingerly and after bowing, he went away. Jiyong spared a look at her, and using his tongs, grabbed a brisket from the meat platter and placed it into the grill. It sizzles and Sandara wonders about love once again.