Chapter 1

A Back Talker's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

It was a warm day in Seoul, the humidity from earlier in the summer gone, as if it knew that today would be the first day of a school year, signalling the unofficial end of the season. Jaejoong tugged softly at the dark blue bowtie circling his neck, slightly regretting having worn it on a day that would be the most nerve-wrecking. He was happy, however, with his choice of a button down blue striped t-shirt; a casual schoolish styled attire that not only kept him cool, but was also fashionable. Despite the fact that uniforms were not mandatory in his school, unlike many in the area, he believed in a proper way of presenting himself, rather than complying to the latest trends of low baggy pants and inappropriate graphic t-shirts.

 

The sun peeked out from behind the trees, stopping him in his tracks as he took his leisure in the warmth. He faced up towards the sun with eyes closed, feeling the warmth spreading through his body, it was… cozy, like a natural warm blanket. Jaejoong took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh pine scented air to savor the moment. He couldn’t enjoy it for too long, however, when a student bumped into him from behind, pulling him out of his daze. Opening his eyes, all the commotion around him quickly filled his eardrums. He looked up at the school in front of him, a mixture of feelings bombarded his body. Anxiousness, fear, and nausea filled his stomach with a numbing tingle growing worse every minute with the thought of what could happen this year. Would the same popular kids from the previous years still want to ridicule him for his usual lack of conformity? Would they look even prettier or ier this year, downing his hopes of ever being as good looking as them? Would he do something so stupid or embarrassing today to cause him drama throughout the rest of the year? All the bad thoughts rushed through Jaejoong's mind before he forced himself to think of something better. Soon a small glint of excitement became more prominent turning into a surge as he thought of the one student who made school all worth while. Would he get further in his advances to get closer to the individual? Would a spark between them start? Would Jaejoong actually have the courage to confess his affection for the other and actually get the same affection returned? Hope and delight made his body tingle in a much better way than the last. He picked up his shoulders and smiled brightly with elation then walked into his high school ready to start the first day of his senior year.

 

Summer had been fun; the majority of Jaejoong’s time had been spent stalking his crush, but now that school had started, it would be easier to follow the man around and possibly bump into (and touch) him since there was not much space for his love to hide go. He remembered the years when he would always stare at the guy’s back and, if he got lucky, would be able to catch a short glimpse of his face. As the years passed, he’d been able to see more of his crush, like watching him eat during lunch- not that he didn’t do that before, but this time he would catch the guy looking at him! Soon after that, he even started talking to him! But... not in the way you would think....  

 

"Yah! Jaejoong!" Jaejoong heard before he was pulled into a tight bone-crushing hug. A black tuft of hair entered his peripheral vision and he soon caught a glimpse of a cheesy smile, instantly recognizing his close friend.

 

"I missed you soooo much!" Yoochun screamed, hugging his friend like a kid would a new teddy bear.

 

Jaejoong normally would’ve questioned why his friend just decided to squeeze the life out of him, but he was too busy trying to catch his breath. "Yoochun!! Get off of me! I can't breathe!" Jaejoong choked out as he tried to pry Yoochun’s arms off him, getting squished too much for his liking.

 

"Sorry. I’m just so happy to see you." Yoochun pouted after letting go of Jaejoong.

 

"Yeah, I kinda figured that out," Jaejoong muttered, his eyes instead now darting around the hallway at the passing figures.

 

"Anyways, how come you haven't called me? Don’t you know how much I missed you?" Yoochun waved a hand in front of his friend’s face, trying to catch his attention when he noticed Jaejoong looking somewhere else.

 

How could Jaejoong still be distracted? He hasn’t seen Yoochun in almost three months. Yoochun thought that with that much time away from a best friend without contact Jaejoong would be excited, but apparently, he didn’t even notice.

 

"What do you mean?" Jaejoong’s eyes momentarily stopped roaming to shoot Yoochun a questioning look before resuming their scan of the hallway.

 

Yoochun’s face dropped. "What?! You don’t remember? Come on, think about it," Yoochun questioned, poking Jaejoong's head softly.

 

Jaejoong slapped Yoochun's finger away. "Stop that!"

 

Yoochun’s shoulders slumped. "You really don’t remember?”

 

Jaejoong pondered about it for a moment with a hand on his chin before he shook his head in reply.

 

“On the last day of school, I told you to call me over the summer or contact me so we could hang out."

 

Images of what happened over the summer flashed through Jaejoong’s mind, the majority consisting of his crush, his back, his face, his smile… Jaejoong was mentally drooling. He shook those thoughts out of his head and tried to remember anything about Yoochun. Soon after, a short memory of Yoochun’s voice echoed in his head. They had been in the hallway after the last class of the last day of school had ended. Yoochun mentioned something about contacting him…  

 

"Oh yeah!” Jaejoong’s eyes lit up in realization. “Now I remember!"

 

"SO WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME?!" Yoochun flailed his arms.

 

"I forgot," Jaejoong replied flatly. He didn’t seem to care about the annoyance written on his friend’s face when he answered. All he cared about was finding that certain someone that he was looking forward to stalking seeing all year.

 

Yoochun just glared at the other, facepalming.  

 

"Yah! Jaejoong!!" a high-pitched scream tore through the air.

 

"Huh?" Jaejoong looked around, trying to find out where the voice came from. But before he could see them, an arm wrapped around his neck and he was immediately pulled into a headlock.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter