It Hurts

It Hurts

Tiffany's POV

All Taeyeon and I did was talk. We talked about alot of things. About my sickness, about her basketball team, and about our families.

Like me, she only lives with her father. Her parents became divorced when she was little, as my mom died in a car accident when I was little. I am an only child, and so is she. She plays basketball for her school, she tells me she is good, but I won't believe it when I see it. Because, seriously, how can someone so short be on a basketball team? 

I found it easy talking to Taeyeon, in fact, I enjoyed talking to Taeyeon. She is a calm person, but I've found out that she can be quite a dork. Luckily, my pains and mood swings weren't acting up.

Right now, we laid side by side on the hospital, Taeyeon was watching me draw on a sticky note. After only a few hours with the girl, I felt close to her. And honestly, I've never been close to anyone besides my father and Doctor Kim.

On the sticky note, in bold letters, I wrote, 'Thankful'.

Taeyeon looked at me oddly as I ignored her, adding little stars around the word. After a minute, she shoved my shoulder softly, "Thankful?"

I nodded, "Thankful." 

"For what?" She asked.

Should I say, 'For you.'? Nah, that would be too weird.

"Thankful to have a friend. Especially when I'm locked up in here." I said, continuing to draw on my sticky note.

"You haven't had a friend since you were 14?"

I shrugged, "I had friends before, I just don't know what happened to them. They never visited me in the hospital. It doesn't matter anyways, because I barely even remember their names."

That was a huge lie. Jessica, Sooyoung, and Seohyun. Those were their names. The names of my 'best friends.' Best friends my . Where were they when I suffered every night because of my sickness? Even if I am mad at them for never visiting me, I can't help but wonder how they are doing. Are they doing good in school? Is everything alright? I worry most about Seohyun. I was the closest to our maknae, the girl told me everything. Her mother beat her. Yes, the innocent little girl who is always worried about others safety is being beaten by her blood mother. I had told Seohyun to call the police when we were little, but she didn't. I even tried to call the police, but Seohyun begged me not to. She was crying, so I obeyed her, hanging up the phone. I sighed out loud, remembering the memories.

Taeyeon looked at me oddly, "You alright?"

I nodded and took the sticky note off the pad. I turned slightly and placed the 'Thankful' note on Taeyeon's forehead. Taeyeon crossed her eyes, looking up at her forehead while smiling dorkily. I giggled, seeing her expression. Pretty soon, Taeyeon giggled with me. She gently took off the note, staring at it.

"Do you like drawing?" she asked me.

I shrugged, "I guess, why?"

She shook her head, "Oh, nothing. Just wondering, you're pretty good at it."

I smiled, "Thanks."

"No problem, so, tell me. What do you want to be when you grow up?" she changed the topic.

"If I'm still alive, that is." I said, no trace of humor in my voice.

I would imagine Taeyeon getting mad at me for thinking like that. Doctor Kim and my father always scolded me for thinking like that. But, Taeyeon flicked my forehead.

"Yah!" I said lightly.

She stuck her tongue out, "So, what do you want to be when you grow up? If you're still alive, that is." she restated her question playfully.

I giggled before thinking about it, I ended up coming with a blank mind. "I don't know."

Taeyeon cocked an eyebrow, "You don't know?"

I shrugged, "I don't know." I said again.

"How about an artist?" she suggested.

I shrugged, "Don't know."

She flicked my forehead again. "Yah!" I called out for the second time.

"You're not even thinking."

"I am!" I pouted.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes before poking my cheek, "Sure you are."

At that moment, Doctor Kwon came in with the needle. I immediately stiffened my body. Under the hospital blanket, Taeyeon grabbed my left hand and placed it in hers, squeezing it lightly. I looked over at her and smiled, she smiled back and nodded to her father, who began to wipe the alcohol swabs on my right arm. I held her hand tightly, I swear, if I held any tighter, I would break the girls hand. But, hell, I was scared!

Doctor Kwon flicked the needle, letting the fluid settle. He placed the needle on my arm, not entering yet. He looked at Taeyeon, then at me.

Taeyeon used her free hand to move my head towards her direction. "Don't look at it, it'll make it worse."

"What do I look at?" I asked.

She thought about it, "Me!" she said dorkily. 

I couldn't help but giggle slightly at her dorkiness, "Done!"

I looked over and saw Doctor Kwon placing the band aid over the little hole.

"Done?" I asked.

He nodded, "Done!"

I didn't feel anything... 

I looked over at Taeyeon who smiled proudly at me, "See? It helps if you look at something else. Oh, and by the way, you're preventing blood from traveling to my hand."

I immediately let go of Taeyeon's hand which I was still gripping. I smiled sheepishly, "Sorry."

"No need to be sorry, you didn't feel anything, right?"

I nodded.

"Then it's all good." she smiled.

I smiled back.

I was thankful for Taeyeon, even though I just met her yesterday.