Curiosity Killed the...Vampire

Ignorance is Bliss (The Secrets We Keep Inside)

 

“I’ll get us something to eat,” Vera says, standing up. “So wait for me, ok?”

Taemin nods and continues to go over to English passage she was helping him with, until it stops making sense. Sighing, Taemin starts to go over his song from their Music Theory, but realizes he is no longer inspired. He puts his things back into his notebook when curiosity strikes him. Looking from side to side, Taemin stands up. “If I’m quick, she won’t notice I’m gone,” he says to himself. He walks through the house, trying to find anything off about the whole place, but all he finds are numerous paintings adorning the walls. “Maybe they got the wrong Vera. Her family aren’t vampire-” he starts, as he sees a door covered in engravings. He rubs his hands against the surface and feels weak. Removing his hand, he suddenly feels the urge to drink blood.

“Taemin-ah? Where’d you go?” Vera calls from the dining room.

Following the sound of her voice, Taemin finds her and starts to grab her hand, ready to bite her.

“Taemin?” she turns to see him, a fierce look in his eyes, which were turning from their natural brown to a dark red. “What-”

Taemin closes his eyes and tries to calm down. Don’t do it. Don’t do it. He feels his pulse slow down and finally he opens his eyes. “Sorry, I went to the bathroom,” he says, with a sheepish smile, as he releases his grip on her.

“Oh, ok?” she says, startled by what she just saw. “I brought the food. Sorry it took so long,” she says, sitting back down in her seat. “We should start studying again.”

Taemin nods, but neither of them were really able to concentrate. Vera just faced her studies and would only address her book if he asked her a question. What the heck was that? Did his eyes really turn red? Why was he suddenly so aggressive? Taemin, realizing the awkwardness of the situation suddenly stands up.

“Taemin-ah?” Vera looks up, but can’t look him in the eyes, so she looks down.

“I remember I have to get back home early today. See you at school,” he says, grabbing his backpack and heading towards the door.

“Taemin-ah, wait,” she says, but he’s already walked out of the house, closing the door behind him.

Vera sighs and closes her textbooks, done with studying for the day.

Did she see my transformation? Taemin sighs exasperatedly and phases over to his mansion. Suddenly the double doors open and he stumbles inside. “I’m home-” he says, crashing into the floor, unbalanced.

“Taemin-ah, what happened to you?” Key asks, running to the fallen vampire.

“Taemin’s home?” Minho asks, walking out and sees Key kneeling by Taemin. “What happened?” he asks, quickening his speed.

“Jonghyun, Onew! Taemin’s hurt!” Key yells, struggling to pick Taemin back up.

“What?” Jonghyun asks, running down the staircase to see the scene. He pushes the two away and picks Taemin up. “Taemin-ah, can you hear me?”

Onew strolls in from his library, and sees the 4 boys. “What happened?”

“Taemin, can you hear me?” Jonghyun asks, again, still trying for a response from the half conscious vampire.

“Dae...” Taemin’s voice trails off as he struggles to keep his eyes open.

“Look at his eyes,” Key shrieks. The 4 look and notice they keep changing from brown to red and back again.

“Taemin, where did you go after school?” Onew asks, noticing this, but trying to stay calm.

“....you’ll get mad at me,” Taemin says, pouting.

“No we won’t,” Minho says, holding onto his hand.

“Ok. Key hyung will get mad at me,” he says, looking away from him.

“No I won’t. Just tell us,” Key says, lying through his teeth. He went to that girl’s house again, didn’t he? -glare-

Taemin sighs. “I went to Vera’s house.”

“I knew it! I told you not to go there and look what happened to you!” Key yells, wagging his finger at him.

“It’s not the time to yell at him. He needs something before it kills him,” Jonghyun says, rationally, even though on the inside, he feels the same as the blonde one.

Key sighs and crosses his arms. “Onew hyung, what should we do?” he asks, sneaking in some glares at the maknae.

“They put a curse on him,” Onew says, still observing his eyes. “A curse meant to weaken and eventually kill him.”

Key continues to rant about how he warned Taemin under his breath while the other 2 stay silent.

“What do you mean by that?” Minho asks, the only truely calm one out of the group.

“If he wasn’t a pureblood, it would kill him. But there’s a cure,” Onew says, calmly walking back towards his library.

“What is it?” the 3 say, pulling him back, Key most aggressively.

“Oh, you wanted to know? I thought you just wanted to yell at him first,” Onew says, laughing to himself.

Key glares at him. “Yeah, I’ll yell at him later.”

“He just needs to drink from one of us. I’d pick Minho, because 1. I don’t wanna do it :D and 2. Because I think either you or Jonghyun would just yell at him afterwards,” Onew smiles.

Key and Jonghyun simultaneously curse under their breath at the truth of that statement. “Fine. Here you go, Minho,” Jonghyun says, handing the now fully unconscious vampire over to him.

Minho walks upstairs and does the deed, coming down 30 minutes later. “Ok, he’s sleeping in his room.”

“I’ll be back down,” Key says, starting upstairs.

“Go easy on him. It’s not his fault,” Onew says, taking pity on Taemin.

“I know,” Key continues to glare as he walks up to Taemin’s room.