Protect Her

Ignorance is Bliss (The Secrets We Keep Inside)

Vera’s Dream: Sitting on my windowsill looking out into the cold dark world, a shiver goes through my self as the day's events replay in my mind. I had woken from a black and white dream of me crying. I hadn't known why, but as I sat up in my bed, I would in a few short moments.

From downstairs, there was a clutter, a great big noise that could only occur during a fight. There was much yelling and screaming. If I had been knowledgeable in hunting, I would've recognized them as chants and vampiric squeals. But fortunately, or is that unfortunately (?), I was unaware.

I ran out of my room and looked down from the balcony, not seeing anything, but hearing everything. "OUT! OUT! YOU BEAST!" my father yelled, as he struggled with the so-called "beast". Soon enough I would learn that it was my flame, my beloved.

Quickly I ran down the stairs, trying to figure out the commotion and stop it. But those stairs just kept going. I couldn't get there in time. So I did what every dimwitted person would do in such a situation, I jumped. Landing badly on my leg, I got up and winced as I continued to run to the scene. After what seemed like a millennia, I got there and my eyes couldn't believe the scene. My father had Taemin pinned to a wall, with a wooden stake in his raised fist, ready to stab him clean in the heart.

Words didn't come to my mouth, or rather, they couldn't. I was too shocked, too scared. Instead, I just ran and tried to stop it. I wedged myself in between the two men and pushed as hard as I could, doing anything I could to stop what could be the death of one or two people close to me. "Stop! Stop it!" I yelled, not realizing I was crying until my vision was blurred. Now I realized why it took so much effort to get the words out.

"Vera, get back!" my father yelled, trying to pull me away from Taemin, as I tried to shield him. "Let me get rid of him!"

"No! Dad, you can't!" I yell, trying my best to keep him safe from my father's wrath. "I...I love you!"

My father scoffed and gave me a grim look dead in the eye. "You can't love him! You too young! And to love such a beast with only thing in mind? I am ashamed of you, Vera. I thought you knew better!" and he grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from him.

All during this, I hadn't been able to get one good look at Taemin. If I had, I would've realized his eyes were a pure dark red, the same color as blood. If I had paid attention to my fall, I also would've realized my leg was bleeding.

I gave my father a push and continued to shield Taemin, seemingly ready to lay my life down for him.

Taking this opportunity, Taemin lunged for me, and aimed for my neck, ready to bite.

My father noticed this and immediately drove the stake through his heart in one clean motion.

"NO!" I yelled, pushing him away again as I dove to stop Taemin from falling. "You can't die on me, Taemin! You just can't!"

Blinking, Taemin's eyes changed back to brown, but they still had a tinge of red in them. He reached for my hand and I willingly gave it to him. "Vera, I'm sorry."

"No. Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. I should've came down in time."

"No. I'm sorry for falling in love with you. All I've done is caused you pain."

"Why are you saying this? It's not your fault. Trust me."

"Vera, I just want you to remember that I enjoyed every second we spent together, even when I would just follow you around and you would give me a weird look. Even if we just stayed like that, I would've still enjoyed it. Enjoy your life without me, ok?"

"Taemin, no. I can't live without you in my life. You were the only one who really understood me. Please, you can't leave."

He gave me a small smile and with those last words his eyes closed for the last time and he died.

"Come on, Vera. We have to go," my father, who was now smiling, said, gathering me.

"How could you, Dad? He was my best friend. My BEST. FRIEND."

"Vera, you should know by now that vampires and humans were never meant to be," he said, a sick smile on his face.

If I had powers, the glare I gave him then and there would've been strong enough to the life out of him. But reluctantly, I had to follow him, and kiss the last 2 years of my life goodbye.

Taemin is awaken when he senses Vera’s nightmare and looks around, trying to figure what time it is. Taking a peek at the alarm clock on the table closest to Vera, he sees that it is 4:59. He turns back to look down at her, still sleeping with a pained frown on her face. The second she turns, backing him, he subconsciously pulls her closer to him. I have to protect her...

“Hmm, what happened?” Vera asks, rubbing her still sleepy eyes as she turns to face him again.

“You had another bad dream,” he notes, both to her and himself.

She nods. “Do you know what it was about or do I have to tell you?”

The vampire shakes his head. “I have a feeling I bit you again...” he says, sounding disappointed in himself, as if it was his fault.

“You lunged at me, but you also died in this dream...” she says, trying to remember the details, as she realized something really big happened. But she couldn’t remember what it was. All she could remember was that it had something to do with her father.

Taemin nods and sighs. “Go back to sleep, I’ll be back,” he says, raising the cover up.

“Wait!” she says, wrapping her arms around him just as he phases out. Sighing a bit, the girl reluctantly tries to fall asleep and eventually does so.

Half an hour later, once she finally starts to fall asleep, he comes and wakes her up. Clad in a beige North Face puffer jacket, black tapered harem pants, and black sneakers, the vampire pulls the covers off of her and starts to pull her out of bed when finally she wakes up.

"Where are we going?" Vera asks, as Taemin pulls her out of her warm hotel room out into the cold outdoors.

"Somewhere," he says, with a big smile.

"Where? I'm curious," she struggles to keep up with his long legs out of laziness, but finally gets the hang of it.

"I know. It's a surprise," Taemin flashes her another smile before he walks faster.

"What if they catch us?" the human asks, breathing hard enough that she can see her breath in front of her. "It's pretty early, you know." Before Taemin physically dragged her out of bed, Vera caught a glance at the clock beside her bed and saw that it was 5:30 am.

"That's why we're out so early," he says, still running.

"That makes no sense," Vera laughs, running alongside him.

"Yes it does," he says, smiling at her with twinkling eyes.

Intimidated by his loving gaze, the girl watches the moving scenery in front of them. "Are we there yet?" she asks, curiously.

"Almost," he says, smiling when he notices this.

"How much longer~ I'm tired," she whines, cutely. Taemin was the only one who really got to see this side of her, because she was shy in front of others.

Suddenly, the vampire stops.

"What?" Vera bumps into him and gives him a slight glare.

Silently, he lowers himself. "Get on my back, I'll carry you."

"..." Vera shyly backs up. "No, I'm fine. I can walk."

"Really, get on. I want to carry you," he says, firmly enough to convince her.

Sighing, she reluctantly gets on his back and wraps her arms around him loosely. "Aras-"

Suddenly, Taemin rises up and marches on, catching Vera off guard. He merely laughs as she is forced to tighten her grip. "Gwenchanna?"

"-.- You're the worst."

The vampire just laughs her off and secretly enjoys how close the two have gotten lately. "I think we're here," he says, slowing his steps.

"Jinjja?" Vera asks, disappointed.

Taemin nods.

"But I was enjoying the ride..." she says, softly, as she slides off of his back. "You're actually pretty warm right now."

You can feel it, too? Taemin thinks, self-conscious. On the outside, though, Taemin just smiles and opens his arms to the white land surrounding the two. "The great outdoors."

"....it's just snow," Vera says, doing a bad job at hiding her somewhat excitement. It would've been a good job if Taemin hadn't known a "secret" about her.

"Exactly!" Taemin says, falling into the snow and playing in it.

"...aren't you cold...?" Vera asks, covering her smiles with the back of her hand.

"No...ah! It's too cold!" Taemin suddenly shouts, struggling to get up.

"Gosh, Taemin," Vera says, giggling, as she offers him her hand.

Ignorant to his plan, Taemin pulls Vera down with him and the two laugh enjoying the snow. The real problems arise 45 minutes later, when they realize they actually can't get out of the snow. Somewhere during the friends trying to help the other up, Taemin winds up on top of Vera.

"Mm hm," a familiar voice says. "And what are you doing?"

The two look up and see Key, with Chaerin in tow, standing above them.

"He was keeping me warm," Vera lies, as Taemin says "We were playing." Both trying to hide what actually happened: they snuck out to play and now were struggling to get out of the snow.

"Mm hmm," Key says, as Chaerin just teases the crap out of the two, and reluctantly helps the two up.

“Since when were you in Switzerland? I don’t remember seeing you on the plane,” Vera says, as she embarrassedly brushes the snow off of her.

“I’m one of the chaperones for this trip,” he informs her, watching Taemin awkwardly fidget around, caught by his umma.

“But you wouldn’t have known because you were too busy with Taemin,” Chaerin says, under her breath, loud enough for Vera to hear.

“Well he’s my best friend...” Vera explains, now shuffling along with Taemin. And I can never find you...

“If that’s what they call people who spend every waking moment together and won’t stop talking about each other when parted, then yes, you two are best friends,” the blonde rolls his eyes, but smirks at the two, as he starts to walk away from them.

“Wait, Taemin talks about me at the mansion?” Vera asks, joining him, now interested in the conversation, now that it turned to Taemin.

“Yeah, what has our dear Taemin said?” Chaerin scoots in closer to hear.

“Well, for starters...” Key starts, smiling at the attention he’s garnering.

“Hyung, what are you saying?” Taemin asks, now walking between him and Vera.

“When Taeminnie gets home, he usually has a wide smile on his face. Like this,” and the older vampire perfectly imitates the younger vampire’s smile, causing the two girls to laugh.

“No I don’t...” Taemin protests, embarrassed.

Key ignores him. “And then he rushes up to his room to change and then comes back down with a hundred new stories. ‘Hyung, did you know that Vera can do this?’ ‘Hey, did you know she does this and this?’ Hyung, this, hyung that. Aigoo, Vera, how do you manage?”

Chaerin awws at the revelations, while Taemin blushes.

“He really talks about me that much? Wow. That’s...weird,” Vera’s word choice surprises them and she pretends not to notice.

“Weird? Really? You’re not flattered?”

The girl shrugs. “I just feel really awkward now. Like now I can’t do things without him telling you.”

“I don’t tell them everything,” Taemin remarks, reaching for her hand, which currently was in her pocket.

Vera shrugs, but reluctantly holds his hand. “Can I ask what you don’t tell them?” she turns to look at his eyes.

“Things...” he says, not telling her outright. Your dreams.

Hearing the 막내’s thought, Key’s eyes widen and he places a hand on his shoulder. “Taemin-ah, I need to speak with you. Now.”

Seeing the urgency in his hyung’s eyes, he lets go of Vera’s hand and walks over with Key. “What is it?”

“It’s about Vera.”

“So I see you and Key have gotten closer...” Vera notes, eyeing her friend.

She stays quiet and nods with a closed mouth, as if afraid to spill something.

“Why aren’t you responding? You’re usually so talkative...”

“Nothing’s wrong,” Chaerin spits out before shutting again.

“Is it about Key?”

“...You’re going to be mad.”

Vera glares. “I’m already mad. What is it?”

“Key and I are going out,” she admits, causing Vera to abruptly stop in shock.

“What about Vera?” Taemin asks, moving closer to the blonde vampire, desperate for answers.

“You have to make sure to protect her.”

“What did you see, hyung? What’s going to happen?”

“It’s not going to be soon, but something’s going to happen to her. You have to protect her more.”

What?” Vera asks, outraged, through clenched teeth. “What do you mean you and Key are going out? What, so you guys are dating now? You’re boyfriend and girlfriend? Since when?”

“No, he’s taken me out a few times, that’s all,” she says, looking down slightly, before looking up at me. “But what’s so wrong about about me going out with Key? He could be the one, you know? We could be like you and Taemin,” she smiles at the thought.

“Did you really not know Minho liked you? It was so obvious!”

Chaerin backs up, surprised at the news. “Wait, he liked me? As in liked liked me?”

“What? Who do I have to protect her from?” Taemin asks, still fighting for the few answers Key had for him.

“Everyone, really,” he shoots his friend a sad smile before resting his hand on his shoulder again. “If you don’t know them and they get too close, you should keep an eye on them. Anyone could try to hurt her at any time, and since I know you don’t want to see her hurt, I would also suggest you watch out about her parents. Have you told her yet?”

The younger vampire shakes his head. “No, the right opportunity hasn’t come up yet.”

“The girl should have a right to know what she is and where she comes from, Taemin-ah,” Key lightly chides him.

Taemin merely nods. “If you say so, hyung...”

“And about the blood, I think you should start drinking some more often so that you don’t feel thirsty around her and accidentally bite her. Wouldn’t want to break your promise with her.”

“Well...the last time I drank blood, I almost bit her...”

“It’s going to be hard the first few times, since she’s a human with a rare blood type, but it will get easier for you to keep under control with time.”

“I didn’t bring any with me, though,” Taemin says, his chapped lips.

“Which is why I always carry some around just in case I, or one of the members, get thirsty,” Key says, reaching into his bag and pulling out a blood packet and straw. “The straw’s so it looks less suspicious and less messy.”

With a small smile, the 막내 takes the packet and sticks the straw through. “Thanks, Key-umma,” he says, slurping up the fresh blood.

Laughing, the blonde ruffles Taemin’s hair. “I’d do anything for my little Taeminnie,” and walks him back to the two girls, who immediately wrap up their conversation when they sense the two vampires walking back. “We should meet back with the group so we can get breakfast and start with the day’s itinerary.”

Vera nods and walks at Taemin’s left, who walks at Key’s left, who walks at Chaerin’s left. “What did you two talk about?” she asks, curiously, as he continues to drink the delicious blood.

“My favorite subject,” he teases, grinning.

Vera rolls her eyes at his comment but nods. “What did you tell him now? That I need you to have fun?”

“No. But I can go tell him now if you want. Key hyung-?” Taemin turns to the blonde.

She laughs. “No, it’s fine. Stop.”

Taemin grins, triumphant. “So what did you and Chaerin talk about?”

“...You know...things...”

After eating breakfast, the class heads off to some museums and other mentally enriching places. While watching over the rest of the students, Key can’t help but notice the couple looked so bored. They shuffle along a few steps behind the rest of the class, and it’s evident by their faces that they would rather be doing anything but listening on and on about the history of the Alpine country. While it was clear from Vera’s thoughts that she was somewhat curious, something on her mind was keeping her from fully concentrating. With a sigh, the blonde vampire silently makes his way over to them and taps them on the shoulder. “Yah. Taemin, Vera.”

“Hmm?” Taemin turns to his hyung, a bit more alert than he was a few seconds ago. Vera turns as well, but focuses her mind on what Key’s about to say, worried if he’s going to lecture the two.

“Just go.”

“Go? Go where?” Vera asks, scared. She couldn’t figure anything out from his stance, so she figured he was sending them home for skipping so much of the trip.

“Go somewhere, anywhere! It’s better than the two of you being here bored out of your minds!”

“Woah, jinjja, hyung?” Taemin asks, with wide eyes.

“Yes, now go before someone sees,” Key says, shielding them as Baek sunsaengnim looks over, flashing an innocent smile at the teacher. The second he looks away, Key checks behind him and sighs when he notices they’ve vanished. If I can’t get out of this, then at least they should...

When the two reappear at the train station, Vera breathes heavily and puts her hands on her knees to catch her breath. Taemin looks at her weirdly.

“What are you doing? We just flashed here?” he asks, with a quizzical expression.

Vera stops and laughs. “I know, but I’m trying to make it look less suspicious, sir,” and straightens up.

The vampire cracks a smile. “So you’re pretending we ran here? Maybe I should join you,” and starts to pretend to breath heavily.

The girl bursts into laughter and waves her hands in his face. “Stop. Now you just look obnoxious.”

Taemin stops and just smiles at her before sneaking a kiss on her cheek. “I know somewhere we can go.”

“Where?” Vera says, trying hard to stop smiling. Clinging onto his arm, she couldn’t help but replay the incident again in her head, she could still feel his lips on her cheek. They were warm.

“It’s like skydiving, but better,” he answers, as he leads them onto the appropriate train after scanning the lines for awhile.

“I think I know,” Vera says, sitting across from him.

“Really, what?”

“That’s a secret,” she smirks, as she takes a sip from the hot chocolate that was just handed to her.

The vampire pouts, but he’s not sure what’s more sad: that the tables have him or that he doesn’t have hot chocolate.

Noticing this, Vera turns back and waves them back. “Umm, excuse me? Can I get another hot chocolate?” she asks, casually.

With a smile, the attendants wheel back the cart and start to pour the hot chocolate into the paper cup.

“Hot chocolate,” Taemin repeats, reaching out for the cup, as he continues shooting them eyes full of want.Once the cup is set in front of him and the attendants roll away, Vera can’t help but laugh at him. “What?” he asks, he blows the top of his drink.

Shaking her head, she just keeps laughing at him. In an attempt to muffle her laughter, she puts her head on the table.

“...What?” he asks, laughing awkwardly, as he watches her.

“You’re so cute sometimes, you know?” she looks up at him.

“How?” he asks, looking over the edge of his cup as he takes another drink. Lowering the cup, a smile is on his face as he swallows.

Vera points at him, still laughing. “That! You look so happy drinking hot chocolate!”

“Hot chocolate is so nice~,” he says, still enjoying the drink.

She sighs, but smiles. “I can make you some if you want.”

“Jeongmal?” he looks up with wide eyes. “You’d do that for me?”

She nods. “Yup.”

“Aigoo! I don’t deserve you~”

“No you don’t. But I don’t deserve you either,” she responds with a teasing smile.

As Taemin promised and Vera expected, the two go paragliding, but before they can relish the experience before they were reminded of the trip itinerary.

“Yeobseyo?” Vera asks into her phone.

“Yah! Where are you two?” Key yells into the other end.

“Are we late?” she asks, remembering that they had to meet up with the class for dinner.

“You will be if you don’t get back to the hotel by 7!”

“That only gives us 20 minutes!”

“You should’ve thought about that before you skipped the whole day!”

“Mianhae, ok? We forgot.” Nervously, she runs her hands through her hair. “Stall for us, ok?”

“Arasso,” he says, before hanging up.

Sighing, Vera shoves her phone back into her pocket. “Taemin, we have to go.”

“Go? Go where?” he asks, dusting the snow off his pants.

“Back to the hotel. The class is leaving soon.”

“Oh yeah...”

“So can you flash us back there? It’ll take too long to take the train.”

“I can, but...”

“But?”

“It’s a great distance and will be a bit tiring,” he starts, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

“O-oh. Nevermind, then. I’ll just start towards the train, then,” Vera starts as she walks in the direction facing the train station.

Stopping her, Taemin grabs her hand and immediately flashes them over. “We’re back,” he says, breathing hard, as he lets go of her hand.

“Taemin, are you ok?” she asks, turning to him with worried eyes. It was the first time she saw him actually look tired.

“I’ll be fine. Just go ahead, I’ll meet you,” he says, trying to slow down his breathing.

“Are you sure? You don’t look so good...”

“I SAID GO!” he yells, at the top of his lungs, his eyes glowing red.

Startled by the sudden change, Vera rushes out and hides in the hallway. What the heck was that about?

“Finally, you’re back. Where’s Taemin-ah?” Key asks, standing in front of her with crossed arms.

“He’s in that room,” she points, rubbing her arms slightly.

“Did something happen?” he asks, reading her thoughts.

“I don’t know, but his eyes are red,” she sighs. “Maybe I should just go...”

“Just wait here, ok?” he shoots her an encouraging smile before walking into the room.

“Vera! You’re back!” Chaerin runs in with open arms, ready to hug her.

“Yeah..” Vera replies, letting her friend hug her, since she had no idea what to do.

“We should get going before they leave us, ok? Then we can talk.”

“But Key-”

“He’ll meet us there,” she says, pulling the American along with her.

“Taemin-ah~?” Key asks, as he hesitantly opens the door that Vera left open in her pursuit to distance herself.

Taemin groans and looks up with tired eyes. “What?”

“You don’t look good. Tell me what happened,” the blonde says, sitting next to him on the bed.

With a sigh, the 막내 rests his head on his umma’s shoulder. “I yelled at Vera.”

Without adding anything, he just nods and allows his younger friend to continue.

“She was really worried about getting back in time and so I offered to flash us back here even though the place was really far from here.”

“But you know you’re not strong enough to do long distances yet.”

“I know, but...I didn’t want to disappoint her, so...”

The blonde vampire nods, understanding.

“But now it hurts and I was so close to biting her...”

“And that’s why,” Key reaches in his pocket for something. “I told you to keep blood on you,” and hands over a small packet of blood. “So things like that wouldn’t happen.”

At the sight of the packet, Taemin snatches it and immediately stabs the thin packet with his fangs, the blood for dear life.

“Aish, don’t drink it that fast,” the umma shakes his head, but finds himself his son’s hair when he finally slows down.

“Kamsahmnida, umma-nim,” Taemin says, as he drinks the last of it.

“All better now?” he asks, with a tired smile.

“Mmm,” he says, drinking the last bits.

“We should get going now. Wouldn’t want to keep the girls waiting,” Key says, smirking, as he gets off of the bed.

Shoving the packet into his pocket, the 막내 nods and follows his hyung.

Minutes later, they meet up with the class, just as everyone is assigned their seats in the restaurant. “Oh there you are, Kibum-goon,” Baek sunsaengnim says, as he looks over the two vampires disdainfully.

“Sorry. I had to go look for Taemin-goon. He got lost,” Key says, putting his hand on the younger vampire’s shoulder, who now plays up the innocent role.

“Well, we’ve already assigned seats, so just try to find any vacant seats. Don’t forget to stay near the class,” he says, looking at Taemin towards the end of his statement.

“Ye,” Key says, bowing his head, as he looks around the restaurant for any vacant seats. As he looks, he notices a waving-or rather, flailing-arm in the corner and walks toward it, shaking his head and laughing.

“Key!” Chaerin practically tackles the vampire as he tries to take his seat. “You’re back!”

He laughs. “Yeah, I’m back, I’m back. Calm down.”

“And you brought Taemin!”

“Mmm,” Taemin nods, as he looks over at Vera, who’s currently avoiding eye contact with him.

“Yah! Say hi to your boyfriend!” Chaerin says, nudging Vera in the arm with her elbow.

“Oh. Umm...hey there, Taemin,” Vera says, awkwardly, before picking up her water glass and chugging it like her life depended on it.

“Umm..Key...?” Chaerin gives him a look.

Getting it, he nods and stands up. “We’ll be back.” And the two rush out to hide behind a corner.

“Key, what happened?” she asks, pointing at the two.

“...I can’t really tell you, but he did something he shouldn’t have.”

Immediately, she puts two thing together and her eyes widen. “Really?” she asks, in English, so surprised.

Reading her mind, Key swats her arm. “Not that, pabo! What were you thinking?”

Embarrassed, she blushes. “I’m sorry. You said...”

“But I didn’t say that happened. Aish, what is wrong with people these days,” the blonde shakes his head.

“So what happened?” she asks, rubbing her arm.

He sighs. “Taemin yelled at her.”

Chaerin backs up. “Jeongmal?” with wide eyes, surprised Taemin could do such a thing to Vera. It would be fine if Best Friend Taemin did it, he wouldn’t mean it, but for Boyfriend Taemin to do it, it was a really big deal.

“Yeah, so...they’re a bit awkward now. It should be fine, though. It wasn’t his fault.”

“Vera?” Taemin asks, as she puts the now-empty glass down.

“I need some more water. Wonder if they’d get me some more water,” Vera muses, ignoring him. “Waiter!” she starts, in English.

“Vera, I’m sorry.”

“Waiter!” she continues, now raising a hand.

“I didn’t mean to yell at you. I’m really sorry.”

“I might have to go to someone else’s table for some water, ok?” Vera starts to stand up.

“I only yelled so that I could protect you.”

Vera stops and turns at the waist to face him. “What do you mean to protect me?” she asks, in a hushed tone.

“If you didn’t leave, I was going to...bite you,” he swallows.

She lets out a sigh and sits back down. “Why did you teleport us back? We could’ve just rode a train. So what if we were late, we’ve missed most of the week’s itinerary.”

“But then we would’ve gotten caught.” And they could’ve called your parents...

“Fine. I’m only letting it go this once,” she says, glaring at him.

As she says this, the other couple walks in and starts to take their seats.

“Are you actually mad?” Taemin asks, with his eyes.

Vera smirks. “No. I just have to make it seem like I am for those two.”

Getting her message, the vampire just laughs behind his hand while the other two watch them confused.

“Ok, so since you guys took too long, we ordered you something,” Chaerin starts.

“What did you order?” Key asks, inquisitive.

“Did you get me steak?” Taemin asks, holding his fork and knife in his hands like a madman.

Vera shakes her head. “They ran out of steak. Sorry,” she sends him an apologetic look.

“Then what did you get him?” Key asks.

“I ordered you a pasta, since I know how much you love Italian food. I got myself some soup...” Chaerin starts.

“I got some pasta, too,” Vera smiles at Key.

“And me?” Taemin asks, looking hungry.

“...Well..I didn’t know what to get you other than steak, so...”

“You didn’t give me anything?” he asks, pouting now.

“No...” Vera says, looking down at the large plate as the waiter places down the food.

“You two can just share,” Chaerin says, as Key eyes his food with a wide smile.

“Sorry,” Vera says, as she puts the plate in the middle of them.

They say their prayers and start to eat. Towards the end of everyone eating, Key and Chaerin realize something. They’re eating pasta...from the same plate...at the same time...Are they going to-

The second they collectively think this, the younger couple starts to eat the same noodle and start to get closer in the attempt to finish it.

As they get closer, the older couple’s smiles widen and Chaerin starts to dig in her pockets for a camera or phone. Aish, I thought I brought it with me...

Sensing her struggles, Key hands her his iPhone, already set to camera. “Go ahead.”

Chaerin flashes him a smile before turning back to the other couple.

Noticing what’s happening, Vera tries to stop and pull away. Woah.

Taemin also notices and tries to stop by biting the noodle and slurping the rest of it.

Too bad none of their methods work. And so Taemin steals yet another kiss from Vera, but not without photo documentation by a one Chaerin.

“YES! I GOT IT!” Chaerin stands up and starts dancing around with the phone.

The class turns to watch her, half in disgust and the other half in confusion.

Key laughs. “Let me see,” he says, getting the phone from her.

“Oh. You can have the rest,” Vera says, flustered, as she pushes the plate towards him.

“Aigoo! They look so cute!” Key says, marvelling at the picture. “You’re so good at this,” he says, turning to Chaerin, who smiles proudly.

“I’m sorry,” Taemin says, apologizing for the second time this night.

“It’s fine. I’m just not hungry anymore...” she says, looking down awkwardly.

“We should so double date so we don’t miss anything,” Key says, as he scrolls through his contacts.

“That’s what I was thinking!” Chaerin says, ignoring her two friends’ embarrassment.

“Key hyung, when do we go back to our rooms?” Taemin asks, interrupting them.

“You have to be in your room by ten, but you can go earlier. Are you ok?”

“Yeah. I’ll just be going up, then. See you in the morning...” he says, rising from his seat and walking out.

“Well, I’ll be going to the bathroom. I’ll be back, so wait for me?” Chaerin asks, standing up.

Key nods and puts his phone away as she leaves. “Vera, are you ok?” he asks, noticing her face.

“Can I talk to you? In private?” she asks, standing up.

“Yeah...” he follows her outside. “What happened?”

“This is awkward, but I feel like you know. So...what’s Taemin’s power?”

“His power?”

“Yeah. Vampires have powers, right?”

“We do, but how do you know he has a power?”

“...He’s been really warm lately. But he’s usually really cold. Like you. And Minho. And the rest of you.”

Key scoffs, pretending to be hurt, but smirks. “When he kissed you, was he warm?”

“...Key...”

“Was he warm?”

Rubbing the back of her neck, Vera bashfully nods.

The vampire bursts into laughter. “He hasn’t figured out his power yet, though-”

“He’s not turning into a human, is he? Cuz that would . Humans ,” she blurts out, being frank.

He laughs, shaking his head. “Taemin’s power is to please you.”

“What do you mean?” Vera asks, weirded out by his wording.

“Well, not just you. Everyone that’s close to him, but it’s mostly you, since you are his best friend. And his girlfriend.”

“...you’re still not explaining what you mean by ‘please’ me...”

“He goes out of his way to make you happy, right?”

Vera nods.

“ He tries to make you happy and when he does, he feels warm.”

“I thought that’s just what boyfriends do...”

Key chuckles, shaking his head. “He hasn’t figured this out yet because, well, you’re his first girlfriend, so...”

“Wait, I’m his first?” Vera repeats, surprised at the news. How the heck did he not date people? What~?

“Yup. You’re both newbies,” he says, finding it hard to hold back his laughter at her surprised reaction.

“Wow. Almost 300 years being single. That’s discipline,” she says, nodding.

“So be easy on him, ok? He has no idea what he’s doing just like you don’t.”

“Arasso. Can I ask you another question?”

“What?”

“Does Chaerin know you’re a vampire?”

He shakes his head. “I want to keep a secret for now until we get closer.”

Vera nods, agreeing with his reasoning and starts to go off towards the elevator when Key holds her back. “Wae?”

“I have another question.”

“What?”

“Did you like it?”

“Oh my gosh, Key. Stop,” she pushes him off her and walks off as Key cackles behind her.