Angel

Ignorance is Bliss (The Secrets We Keep Inside)

 

After gym, Vera rushes off to lunch to feed her abyss of a stomach. Getting her food, she sits back down at her table. Looking down at the tray, she sighs.

“Waegeurae, Vera?” Chaerin asks, placing her sandwich down on her napkin.

“Nothing,” she says, reluctantly digging into her kimchi fried rice. “Why is he so nice to me?”

“Why is who so nice to you?” Chaerin asks, a creepily curious smile on her face. “That guy you mentioned yesterday?”

“What guy?” Angel asks, sitting down with her tray of plain fried rice.

“Some guy Vera likes,” the older girl says, that look still in her dark brown eyes, as Vera continues eating.

“Jinjja?” Angel’s face lights up with curiosity.

“I don’t even like him,” Vera says, trying to lie convincingly. It was true. I don’t like him. I only think he’s attractive. “And his name is Taemin.”

“Taemin,” Angel nods. “That’s a nice name.”

“Wait, you and Taemin? That’s..surprising. Why didn’t I think to ship you two? Hmm...” Chaerin marvels as Angel tries to steal Vera’s fries.

The girl glares at her younger friend and sighs. “Bye then,” and grabs her tray, chucking it into the trash as she storms off. Halfway out the door, a cold hand grabs her wrist. “Yah!”

“Why do you walk so quickly?” Taemin asks, laughing to himself.

Vera yanks her wrist from his cold grasp, rubbing it. “Are you stalking me or something?” she tries to walk away from him, but when she turns, he’s standing in front of her. “Bwoh!”

Taemin just smiles to himself. She’s so cute.^^ “Since we see each other often, why don’t I walk you home?”

We’re not friends.... “Umm...?” Vera stops to think, pondering whether she should just go back to the safety of her friends. Turning to look at them, she sees Chaerin holding her thumbs up with a big smile on her face while Angel asks her if that’s Taemin. “Well...”

“Let’s go then,” he says, fluidly taking her wrist and pulling her behind him. She’s so warm. Is this what all humans feel like?

Reluctantly, Vera follows him, trying to ignore the squeals and applause she can hear coming from her table. She just hangs her head. “Arasso,” she mumbles to herself.

After walking in silence for what feels like forever, they stop in front of a familiar place. “You live here right?” Taemin asks, turning to her.

Looking up, she’s shocked to realize she’s standing outside her house, even though she never gave him directions. “Mm,” she says, nervously.

He smiles. “I’ll be leaving then. See you in class,” he says, walking away.

Is he some kind of stalker or what? She asks herself as she watches him walk away, a skip in his step.