Love In A Hopeless Place

Ignorance is Bliss (The Secrets We Keep Inside)

Waking up on the beach with the morning sun lightly baking their skin and covered in sand, the night’s events rush to their minds. “Woah, we were here all night?” Vera asks, looking around as she sits up.

“It seems like we were,” Taemin says, standing up and brushing off the sand on him. “We should probably head back to the hotel now.”

Nodding in agreement, Vera stands up, but makes a face as she tries to brush the sand off.

“What?” the male asks, as he struggles not to laugh at her face, it was too funny. “Did sand get in weird places?”

All of the weird places!” she whines, before laughing with him. “It was really fun yesterday.”

“It was,” he says, brushing off the sand she missed on her back. “I’m glad I was able to spend it with you.”

“I’m glad you snuck me out, even though you still owe me for waking me up in the middle of my dream,” she points out.

“I will make it up to you, I promise,” he says, as they start to walk. “What were you dreaming about? Me?”

The girl laughs at the confidence in his statement. “I can dream of other things than you, pabo.”

“So is that a yes?” he smiles widely.

She shakes her head. “For some reason, I never dream of you,” the girl shrugs. “Maybe because I see you so much, my mind gets tired of you, so I never dream of you.”

Smiling at her, the male nods. “I dream of you. All the time.”

“What do I do in your dreams?”

“I can’t tell you. It’s just stuff that are always in my mind,” he says, smiling innocently. “You’re always nagging me...”

“When do I nag you?” Vera laughs, as she tries to imagine. “Do you confuse me for Key?”

Taemin laughs. “Ani. I meant...”

“You meant?” she replies, curious for the answer.

He stops. “Vera~”

“Yes~?” she mocks him.

“Can I just flash us over there? I’m tired of walking,” he says, making a tired expression, despite the bright smile that was on his face seconds before.

“It’s your power, Taemin. I have no say over what you do with it.”

And with, the lazy vampire flashes them over to Vera’s room, but something happens during the transfer, causing for the landing to be a bit unexpected. Let’s see if you can guess what happened?

Someone knocks at her door. “Vera! Are you there? Is Taemin there, too?” Chaerin calls, as another person continues to knock on the door.

“Open up! We know you’re in there!” Key yells.

“We’ll break the door down!” Jonghyun yells seconds after.

“Wait, you guys. They might not be in there,” Onew reasons, stopping his dongsaengs from literally breaking down the door. “They haven’t answered yet...”

Turning back from the door, Taemin realizes he’s landed on top of Vera on her bed. While his first instinct should be to blush and apologize profusely as he gets off of her, the male can’t help but stare at her from this angle. It was interesting to him. Reaching down to brush back some loose hair of Vera’s, he let his hand linger on her face.

“Umm...Taemin? You’re still on top of me,” Vera points out, still trapped underneath him with no way of escaping.

Snapping back to reality and out of his personal thoughts, he blushes. “Oh, sorry,” and he helps her up.

“True...” Angel nods at Onew’s statement. “They could’ve left earlier...”

“No. I know they’re in there!” Key yells.

“What if I’m missing the perfect photo opportunity...” Chaerin mutters.

“Vera~, Taeminnie~, are you in there?” Minho asks, calmly.

Vera can finally breathe soundly as the male backs away from her-and her neck. “Yeah, we’re in here.”

SHINee collectively sighs, for the most part. Along with his girlfriend, Key worried if he had missed something. Scouring his mind for any possible information, but coming up blank. For some reason, he couldn’t read Vera’s mind and that worried him. Did Taemin change her last night? His eyes widen.

Chaerin notices this, and stops on her inner rant about how she hopes she didn’t miss anything. “Are you ok? Did something happen?” she asks, concerned, but curious if something did happen.

The blonde shakes his head, dismissing her worries. “Everything’s fine,” he shoots her a dazzling smile.

“Can we come in?” Minho asks, smiling smugly at the group since he was already to get a response. Jonghyun and Key just roll their eyes at him.

“Yeah, hold on.” Vera eyes Taemin for a second, as if to make sure he wouldn’t make any moves on her, and then walks over to the door, opening it to reveal all 6 of her friends. “Oh, hey,” she says, backing up slowly.

While everyone at first just sighs in relief or exhaustion, noticing the two’s physical appearance, from Vera’s messily waved hair to Taemin’s lightly disheveled hair that looked as if dried with sweat, not to mention their glowing faces, Jonghyun thought another change had taken place over night. “Vera!” he runs over to her and hugs her tightly. “Are you ok? Did he hurt you?”

Vera laughs, as she pushes him off her. “Of course I’m ok. Why would someone hurt me?”

Key could hear every thought his hyung was processing, but he didn’t care about that right now. The only thing on his mind was to check for bitemarks. “Vera? What happened to your hair?” he asks, walking over to her and brushing it away from both her shoulders.

“Oh, we fell asleep on the beach,” she shrugs, as her hair lightly tickles her skin. “So what did you guys do yesterday?”

“Sleep,” Onew smiles widely. “Sleep, sleep, and more sleep.” He doesn’t shy away from ruffling her hair even as Taemin gives him a look from the background.

Unaware of what was happening behind her, the girl just laughs and swats away his hand, feeling weird at everyone touching her so suddenly. “I forgot there was jet lag. I could barely feel it.”

“Jinjja?” Minho asks, his round eyes widening at her statement. “I’m still feeling it and I was asleep since last night. I just woke up half an hour ago.”

Key nods, rolling his eyes as he remembers the struggle of trying to wake up the dark haired vampire. It was like trying to wake up a rock.

Chaerin and Angel laugh. “Really? So that’s what you were doing last night,” the younger of the two nods. “Where were you, Key?”

“Places,” he smiles at her mysteriously. “Anyways, what should we do today?” the blonde smiles, happy to deflect the topic off him.

“Hmm, I don’t know,” Vera starts, until Taemin walks in front of her, cutting her off.

“Hyungs, can I talk to you?” he asks, an urgent tone in his voice.

The 4 vampires give him a look, but agrees, walking over to the room shared by the two oldest.

“That was weird,” Vera whispers, watching them all shuffle into the room a couple doors down. She starts to close the door on her two friends, but Chaerin wasn’t about to let that happen.

“Hey! You didn’t think you were going to get away without telling me what happened between you and Taemin,” the girl fits her hand through the door, holding it open.

“What do you mean what happened? Nothing happened,” Vera, the tallest of the three, shoots them a confused look.

“How do you even fall asleep on the beach?” Angel asks, ignorant to what her older friend meant. She, Minho, and Onew were the only ones of the group who honestly believed her story. The others had less innocent minds.

“Of course something happened,” Chaerin says, walking into her friend’s room and plopping down on the bed. “You can’t stay out all day and night with Taemin and not have something happen.”

“I swear! Nothing happened! We were just goofing off for the whole day, I promise.”

“I bet you two were goofing off,” the unnie rolls her eyes. “If you were going to go out with Taemin, you could’ve at least told me or brought a camera or something!”

“If I brought you, how would it just be me and Taemin?” Vera glowers. “And plus, I couldn’t do anything. He woke me up and shuttled me out of the door in seconds.”

“Really?” Angel was surprised to hear he actually did that. Jonghyun had told her all about how Taemin snuck her out to places, but thought he was just saying that to be funny. Thinking back on her conversations with him, Angel couldn’t help but miss spending time with her boyfriend.

“Yeah, he’s a creep, that boy is,” the girl makes a face and her friend laughs.

Jonghyun closes the door behind him and starts towards Taemin. “Don’t tell me you did it.”

“Did what?” Taemin asks, confused at his hyung’s question.

“Change Vera!” Key cuts Jonghyun off before he can answer.

Minho and Onew jump up from their seats. “You changed Vera? Wae?” the taller of the two asks, before trying to remember if he saw bitemarks on her neck.

The maknae backs away from his hyungs with his hands up. “No. What made you think I bit her?”

“I couldn’t hear her thoughts,” the blonde says, not backing down even though his theory was wrong. “So I thought you changed her.”

“Maybe she just had a lot of things on her mind,” he shrugs.

“Wait, if Key thought you changed her, Jonghyun hyung, what did you think?” Minho asks, turning to the shorter vampire.

“Well..you know...”

“What?” Onew asks, confused, as Key holds back laughter.

“Stuff...” and Key erupts into laughter.

“What did he think?” the 3 now turn to the amused vampire.

“He thought that Taeminnie and Vera...you know..” the male makes hand gestures.

“Exploded?” the oldest guesses, confused by the motions.

Key holds back his giggles as he shakes his head at the confused bunch. “That they, um, had-”

The dino comes in to stop him from continuing. “Anyways, I already know you didn’t, so we don’t have to worry about that.”

Finally, Minho understands what was going on and chuckles behind his hand. “Why did you think they did?”

“Their hair is messed up and they looked really happy,” Jonghyun now hides behind Key.

“They fell asleep on the beach. Did you expect them to look clean?” he scoffs.

“Yah! It’s not his fault. They’re both old enough to!” the younger blonde points out, not coming to the defense of his fellow blonde. Vera was about to turn 19 (in Korean age) and Taemin technically was 19, so the vampire was right.

“Well they will when they want to!” he fires back.

“Wow, Minho...” Onew puts a hand on the Flaming Charisma’s shoulder, telling him to calm down.

Taemin, confused of what his hyungs were going on about, finally connects what Key was talking about and a blush forms on his face, staining his cheeks. The thoughts from the earlier landing come back to him and he fails to know what to do with himself.

After the 4 hyungs settle their dispute on when Taemin and Vera should do certain things, “it” being one of them, they finally notice the maknae curling and uncurling his fingers with a flushed smile in the corner. “Taemin-ah, what are you doing?” Jonghyun asks, bluntly.

His blush intensifies when he notices his hyungs’ gaze on him and he struggles to form words.

“Talk! Say words!” Minho commands, sounding like an overbearing father.

“Vera,” the youngster finally blurts out.

The clairvoyant vampire stops from laughing at Taemin’s thoughts to remind them of what he said earlier. “Oh yeah. Didn’t you bring us in here to talk to us about something?”

Taemin nods, now remembering. “I wanted to ask something.”

“Then ask,” Jonghyun says, grinning.

“I wanted to ask...for more alone time with Vera.”

The hyungs ooh and ahh at the maknae, as the blondes laugh amongst themselves as they remember the previous conversation-so that’s what he wants to do with his alone time ;)-but offer questions. “Why?” Minho asks, still in appa mode.

“She’s my girlfriend,” he says, bluntly. “I deserve alone time with her.”

The blondes laugh at his assertiveness, but stay quiet enough for Onew to comment. “But we’re her friends, too, and we haven’t seen much of her. :/”

“But she’s my girlfriend,” a whiny tone appears and Taemin doesn’t even try to suppress his pout.

“And it’s our vacation,” Minho points out. “Not your honeymoon.”

Taemin searches for the words to better explain why he just had to spend more time with her. But it was kind of hard to without telling them all about the drama with her parents. He sighs, running his hand through his dirty hair. “We had so much fun yesterday. And..I don’t think there will be another opportunity for us to spend so much time together. Especially after this year.”

The hyungs all nod, remembering that since it is their senior year, this might be the last they see of Vera. While Chaerin was also graduating this year, she lived in South Korea most of her life, so there was a possibility they would still see her. Vera only lived here temporarily, and might go back to America after this year. While they all did want to spend the last few months with their friend, they knew it would mean so much more to the maknae.

Key sighs. “Arasso?”

Taemin looks at his hyung with a confused look on his face.

“You can spend more time with her,” the shorter blonde finishes, with a glare.

“Jinjja?!” the maknae’s face lights up.

“But you better bring her back the way you found her,” Minho eyes him, as the blondes giggle.

With a pale blush, he nods. “Algesuminda.”

“Yah! They’re not going to do it now,” Onew hits the taller vampire.

“That’s what you think >D” Jonghyun says, flirtatiously.

“I meant don’t change her,” Minho chuckles.

“I won’t! Promise!” Taemin’s cheeks turn brighter red.

“Aigoo, he’s embarrassed,” Key pulls at the maknae’s cheeks.

Jonghyun laughs at his dongsaengs and pats Taemin’s shoulder. “You should probably go get her before we do.”

Nodding, the male marches out of his hyungs’ room with cheers from behind him.

Chaerin smiles, but something catches her eye as she notices Vera’s phone peeking out of her bag. “Ha!” she yells, lunging for it.

The phone’s owner backs up and watches her friend with wide eyes. “What?”

Angel turns to watch Chaerin as the grin on her face triples in size.

“YES!” the girl screams, as she maniacally laughs.

“What?” Angel asks, scooting in towards her.

“They took pictures!” Chaerin does a little dance in her seat before scrolling through the images. She squeeled as she sees the couple selca they took. “You guys are so cute!”

“I know right,” the youngest of the bunch nods.

“Well anyways, while you two stalk my life, I’ll be taking a shower. Answer the door if someone comes, ok?” Vera shakes her head at the two before dragging her suitcase into the bathroom.

“Whatever you say,” Chaerin waves her off, without taking her eyes off the screen.

“Wow, they have a lot of pictures together,” Angel notes, as the older girl scrolls.

“They do,” she nods.

They continue to scroll through the pictures for awhile, laughing at all the funny pictures Taemin took of himself, until they come across a fairly new picture he sent to her with the caption: “Open ;)”. Opening it, they were met with a picture of Taemin that looked fresh out of the shower, complete with the wet hair and towel around himself.

“Woah!” Angel’s eyes widen as Chaerin starts to jump up and down.  

“I didn’t know our Taemin had that in him!!” she yells, as her shipper heart almost dies.

“I didn’t either!”

Taemin hears screaming coming from inside the room and knocks on the door slowly, as if scared to see what awaited him when the door opens. “Vera? Gwenchanna?”

“Speak of the devil,” Angel giggles as Chaerin rushes over to open the door.

“Oh, Chaerin,” the male sighs in relief, but his eyes still search for Vera. “Is she in here?”

“She’s in the shower,” the calmer of the two girls point at the bathroom door, while the other winks at Taemin.

“I’m so proud of you, Taemin. You two sure have grown up, haven’t you?”

The vampire looks down at her confused, but nods at Angel’s answer. “Well, I’ll just wait for her then...”

“Of course you will. But if you do anything else, be sure to get some pictures for me ;D” Chaerin hands over Vera’s phone to him before stepping out. “C’mon Angel, let’s give them alone time.”

The younger girl waves at him, laughing at her friend, and closes the door behind her.

“That was weird,” Taemin whispers to himself as he plops down on Vera’s bed, folding his legs. “I wonder what she was talking about,” he says, looking down at the phone in his hands.

Vera pushes the bathroom door open with her back as she towel dries her hair. “Hmm, it sure is quiet in here. Oh, Taemin,” she finally notices him. “Did Angel and Chaerin just leave?”

Taemin nods, sliding her phone to the side, watching as she puts her hair into a bun on top of her head.

“So what should we do now? Are we going to do something with everyone?” Vera asks, taking her phone and slipping it into the pocket of her sweatpants.

“Vera...” the male smiles widely at her. It was so wide, it definitely fell into the creepy category.

“Yes...?” the girl turns her head and sees his smile. “Why do I feel like you just sold your soul in exchange for something?”

Taemin laughs at her question and shakes his head. “I bought us some more alone time. :D”

“With your soul?! D:”

The vampire laughs at her again, waves his hands to show the answer was a no. “I asked the hyungs and they promised to leave us alone for the day.”

“Really?” Vera smiles at the response her joke garnered and sits next to him. “So what should we do with this free time? We probably shouldn’t go back to the beach for awhile, so they don’t get suspicious again.”

“You know what the hyungs thought?” he asks, surprised.

“Of course I know. They kept looking at me as if something big happened yesterday,” she laughs, nodding.

“Of course something big happened yesterday. You learned how to float,” Taemin smiles widely, proud that he at least was able to teach her something.

Vera scoffs. “I already knew how to float!”

“You knew how to float when you finally paid attention to the sun,” he keeps smiling.

“Sunflowers also need bees to pollinate them, so ha!” she sticks her tongue out at him, proud of her metaphor.

“Hmm?” Taemin turns to her, completely missing the meaning of her metaphor.

The girl sighs and puts her head on his shoulder. “Of course you understand your own metaphor...”

He laughs at her disappointment and notices something as he looks down. “Are those my sweatpants?”

Glancing down at the heather grey sweatpants covered in darker gray bats, Vera nods. “Yup.”

“Since when have you had my pants?” he asks, now wondering if he’s missing any other items of clothing.

“Quite a while now,” she smiles innocently.

“But why?”

“They’re really comfy. :D”

“And they fit?” the male looks down at his own ensemble. “Am I really that skinny?”

Vera laughs, as she lightly pats him. “Most of your pants don’t fit me, but some do. So I picked these and ran with them.”

He smiles. “That’s good.”

“I mean, I can give them back to you, if you want,” she says, turning to him.

He shakes his head. “Andwae. You can keep them. They look better on you.”

Vera hides her face in her hands and laughs at his statement. “If you say so.”

“What? They do,” he continues on with his cheesy compliment.

“Of course they do,” she says, still laughing.

Onew plops down on his bed and exhales. “What are we going to do now, then?”

“We could all go to sleep,” Minho says, plopping down on Jonghyun’s bed, as the owner whacks him across the bed. “Yah!”

“We slept all day yesterday. We should do something really fun, even if Taemin-ah’s hogging Vera to himself,” the dino says, sounding bitter.

“We could get back at them,” the leader suggests, sitting up.

“Now you’re talking ;)”

Key spots Chaerin and Angel walking by and smirks as he walks to the door. “And I know just who to ask for help,” he throws the door open. “Rin yeobo, can you come here please? I have a favor to ask the both of you.”

Hearing his voice, the girls immediately rush towards him. “What?” Chaerin asks, following him as the door closes.

“We have a proposal for the two of you,” the blonde smiles deviously, getting more excited by the second.

“Which is?” Angel asks, as she sits beside her confidante, Minho, without a glance at Jonghyun.

“So did Taemin-ah shuffle the two of you out of Vera’s room?” Minho asks, as Jonghyun glances at his girlfriend.

Although Angel wants to answer, she can feel his gaze on her and stays silent.

Chaerin shakes her head. “No. We left on our own. I gave him some pointers if anything happened while we were out of the room and then left.”

“Pointers?” Jonghyun asks.

“To get lots and lots of pictures,” she winks.

The dino laughs and wraps his dirty minded friend in a hug as he laughs.

“Eh hem?” Minho glares, feeling jealousy form in his heart. “We were in the middle of something.”

Agreeing with his friend, Key grabs Chaerin from his hyung’s grip.

“As you were saying?” Angel asks, also feeling jealous. While she had been hiding from him for most of the week, she admits she does miss all the skinship with him.

“Onew hyung suggested we get back at them,” Key says, as Chaerin wanders towards Jonghyun and sits with him.

“Well not Vera, more Taemin. Because he’s hogging her,” Onew points out, smiling.

Angel nods. “True. She said he snuck her out really early.”

“That settles it. We’re getting back at him,” Chaerin smirks, mischievously. “So what do you want me to do? >D”

“I knew you’d help us,” Jonghyun says, lightly ruffling her hair, garnering glares from Minkey.

Angel looks down. Feeling jealous, but knowing she’s not in the position to be jealous with what she’s done, she just sighs.

“Are you gonna help us?” Key turns to her, noticing her mood change.

“I don’t know...” she keeps looking down.

“C’mon, it could be really fun!” Onew tries to hype her up.

“Yeah, wasn’t it fun when Vera tricked him before?” Minho adds, nudging her.

Remembering the first day in Barcelona, when they all went to the beach, a smile forms on her face as the day’s events play over her head. “That was really funny. Like when Taemin yelled at you guys.”

The male nods. “See! That was fun-!”

“Wait. Him yelling at us wasn’t fun,” Key cuts him off.

“It was funny when we all threw him in the ocean,” Jonghyun counters.

“No, it was funny when-” Onew starts.

“Guys! What we’re trying to say is, it was really funny helping Vera trick Taemin then, so it’ll be really fun tricking him again,” Minho interrupts them all.

The girls laugh at them, but both nod in agreement. “Fine. I’ll help,” Angel says, with a smile, despite her seemingly reluctant tone. “What do you need me to do?”

“So you don’t mind me stealing your clothes?” Vera asks, turning to her more-than friend.

Taemin shakes his head. “I don’t mind...as long as you tell me beforehand.”

“Why beforehand? I don’t know when you get new shipments D:”

He laughs at her word choice. “Do you like my clothes that much?”

“Yes! They’re so great,” she kicks her legs to express her intensity.

“I make them look real good, don’t I?” he winks at her.

She laughs. “No. You just said I look better than you in them,” and sticks her tongue out.

The male scoffs. “I was just saying that to be nice. No one can wear my clothes better than I can,” he smirks, cockily.

“Of course, Taemin. Maybe if you keep telling yourself that, one day it’ll be true,” Vera ruffles his hair, grinning as she does so.

“Is everyone ready?” Minho asks, as he opens the door.

“Yup,” Chaerin says, as she and Angel stand up with the others.

“Let’s go then,” Key says, grabbing her hand and skipping out the door.

Angel laughs at them and walks over to Minho with a wide smile. “Let’s go :)”

The male looks down at her with a sad smile. “...”

“What? You’re not going to join us? I thought you said it was going to be fun :/”

“I think you should go with Jonghyun...” he watches as his hyung walks past them.

“Why?” Angel shies away from the dino’s gaze.

“You can’t be scared of him forever,” he gives her an encouraging smile. “And plus, Onew hyung will be there with you.”

“What?” Onew looks up from his bed.

“Jinjja?” the girl smiles up at Minho, looking like a kid in a candy store.

“Ne,” he smiles at her, before grinning at his hyung. “Well, I’ll be going then. Take care of her, hyung.”

“Annyeong,” she smiles happily before dragging Onew out of bed.

“I was trying to sleep,” he whines, as she pulls him to the door.

“Please? For me?” she gives him puppy dog eyes that would put Minho’s to shame.

He sighs, making a face at it’s cuteness. “Kaja,” he finally says, grabbing her wrist and pulling the hopeful girl out of the room.

“Oh sorry,” Vera says, pulling back as she notices her hair dripping on his shirt. “Let me get you a towel,” she gets up from the bed and walks toward the bathroom, looking for one of the complementary  towels to give him.

“It’s fine. I could just take my shirt off,” Taemin grabs at the bottom of his shirt and starts to pull it over his head.

“No-wait-stop,” Vera shields herself with the towel.

“Stop?” he puts his shirt back down confused, but then chuckles when he notices her hiding. “What?”

Waiting a few seconds, the girl pulls the towel down a few inches to check if he stopped. As she notices him laughing at her, she pulls the towel back up. “Because why are you taking your shirt off?”

“Because it’s wet,” he pulls at the damp fabric. “And plus, you’ve already seen me shirtless before,” he smiles, flirtatiously, happy to use her words against her.

“But what if someone sees?” Her eyes quickly dart to the door, as if knowing her friends were behind it.

The male smiles again at his girlfriend’s cuteness before standing in front of her. “They won’t. But if it makes you happy, I’ll put the towel on,” he takes the towel from her hands.

“Yay!” Vera goes in for a hug, but Taemin stops her.

“After I take my shirt off ;)” he slips the shirt over his head and drapes the towel over his shoulders. “Tada! :D”

“Yah! Who said you could take your shirt off?” she pokes his stomach, knowing he was ticklish.

“Stop,” he giggles, swatting her hands away, as he covers his chest with the towel.

The girl continues for awhile just poking him and laughing as he squirmed away from her. Having laughed so hard that her stomach hurts, she stops for awhile and lays back down on her bed. “I’ve missed this.”

“Missed what? Time with me?” Taemin smirks as he lies next to her, a generous amount of space between them.

Vera nudges him, despite how spaced out they were, before settling back down. “No, I see you too much as it is,” she rolls her eyes. “I meant time where we can just act like friends and not have to worry about romance and skinship. Where sunflowers don’t have to worry about the UV rays they’re probably getting from all the attention to the sun.”

He turns to her with a worried expression. “I just said that as a joke. You don’t have to if you don’t want to-”

“No, I’m fine with being the sunflower to your sun. I just miss the times we could just goof around and be weird, y’know? Where I was your best friend and not your girlfriend. I can’t be weird with you anymore without awws and coos from everyone. It’s hard sometimes...”

Taemin reaches over to poke her cheeks and only grins once she reacts. “I guess that makes sense. I do kinda miss that, too, but it’s nice being able to do stuff with you that I couldn’t when I was only your best friend. So I don’t really miss that too much.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right. You were a creep from day one. I guess you must’ve really liked me,” she smirks, proudly.

Still smiling at her, he nods. “I was attracted to you for some reason...”

Vera laughs at his word choice. “Yes, because that doesn’t sound creepy at all. Because I’m a human, or something?”

He shrugs. “Maybe..”

She giggles. “Is it my blood or something? Is it special?”

“It’s very very special. Let’s just leave it at that,” he smiles at her.

Key backs up from the door. “What does she not want us to see?”

“I don’t know! And that’s what makes it worse. Maybe I should stick my phone under the door?” Chaerin suggests.

Minho shakes his head. “There has to be a better way than that.”

“We could sneak someone in?”

“Yeah! Chaerin, you should go in. It’d look less suspicious. Just say you left something in there,” Key smiles.

“That’s not what I meant-” Minho is interrupted.

“Ok. I’ll go. Wish me luck,” the girl smiles at the two before shooing them away. She knocks a few times on the door to get Vera and Taemin’s attention. “Vera, I think I left something in there. Can I go check?”

Vera is unsure to be happy he just told her one of the secrets about her, wonder if it was a lie, or be mad it wasn’t a detailed account. She starts to frown when they hear Chaerin at the door. “I’ll get it,” she sulks over to the door, her face changing to one of confusion when she notices the unnie. “Umm..Chaerin?”

“Oh hey,” she smiles widely, as she squeezes her hand to check for her phone. “I think I left something in here. Can I come check?”

“Fine, but what did you leave?” Vera’s eyes notice the camera in her hand as she lets her friend in. “Your dignity?” she whispers.

As Chaerin walks into the room, Taemin slides under the covers, hoping to not be seen.

“Hey Taemin,” she waves at him, mentally noting that he was in her bed. Trying hard to keep her squeals under control, she turns to Vera. “So what were you guys talking about?”

“I thought you said you left something,” she glares at her with crossed arms.

“I did! I did!” Chaerin laughs at her reaction and starts to look around the room. “So you guys do anything fun recently?”

“What are you looking for?” Vera keeps glaring as she watches her.

“My...uh...” she tries to think of a quick lie when she notices a shirt on the ground. Trying to be sneaky, she peeks at Vera before taking some pictures.

“Your what?” Vera snatches Taemin’s shirt off of the ground and tosses it in the bathroom.

Chaerin spots an empty plug outlet and straightens up, pointing at it. “Charger! I was looking for my charger!”

“Mmhm,” the girl continues to give a friend a glare, while Taemin giggles. “You didn’t bring your charger.”

“Really? Well, can I use your charger? My phone’s dead,” Chaerin says, as she scrolls through her contacts for Key’s number behind her back. Maybe we can get some recording... ;D

Your phone didn’t seem dead seconds ago. Vera rolls her eyes but goes over to get her charger-hitting Taemin on the way-and handing it over to Chaerin. “Ok. Give me my charger back when you’re done, ok?”

“Can I charge it here?” she offers some aegyo that anyone would know was taught by Key. Only he would be so obnoxious with it.

“Fine.” Resisting the urge to snatch the phone out of her hand and shove it into the plug outlet, Vera huffs and gently takes it.

“Yay!” Chaerin glomps her, hitting call in the process.

Huffing, the annoyed girl shoos her out of the room and plugs her phone into the wall. “That took longer than it should’ve,” she sighs, sitting back down.

“Then what did you mean?” Key turns to him, interested.

“You could’ve just used your powers...”

The blonde shakes his head. “That wouldn’t have worked.”

“What do you mean it wouldn’t have worked, they always-wait, does Chaerin not know?”

Key shakes his head. “I haven’t told her yet. I don’t know how she’ll respond.”

“But she’s your-” Minho stops before the word comes out of his mouth. While he knew them being a couple was practically inevitable, he couldn’t deny the feelings he still had for her and still hoped to have a chance.

The older male notices this but decides not to comment. “Does Angel know?” Maybe that’s why she’s avoiding Jonghyun hyung...

The brunette shakes his head. “If she knew, I don’t think she’d want to be around any of us.”

“Then why did you ask me if you haven’t-” Key starts, when he hears his phone ringing. Picking it up without checking, he is confused to hear silence. “Yeobeoseyo?”

“That  took longer than it should’ve,” Vera’s voice is heard over the phone.

Minho watches him confused as Chaerin skips out of Vera’s room.

“Guess what~?” she yells, running towards them.

“Shh. Don’t be so loud,” Minho pulls her over to them. “What happened?”

Key just smiles as he watches her jump up and down. “Did you find anything out?”

“I got a picture!” she starts to dig through her pocket in search of her phone but then remembers it’s in Vera’s room.

“Uh huh?” Minho waits for the picture to be shown.

“Forget the picture. Anyways, Taemin took his shirt off!” Chaerin says, excitedly, as she jumps around some more.

As Minho holds her down, Key just rolls his eyes. “Everyone does that.”

“But he was in her bed!”

“Jinjja?!” Minho’s eyes widen, creating a humorous face.

Opening the door to their room, Key pushes the two of them inside, closing the door behind them. “Tell me more!” he says, now jumping up and down excitedly.

“Ok, I brought her. What’s next?” Onew asks, as he drags Angel to Jonghyun’s hiding spot.

Jonghyun sees Onew approaching him with Angel and a smile rises to his face. Despite his excitement on working with his estranged girlfriend on this “mission” of sorts, the male wonders if she would finally acknowledge him, so he first only addresses Onew. “So what should we do first? We have to beat the other team no matter what!”

Onew scratches his head. “Hmm..I have no idea. What do you think?” He turns to Angel for input.

“Well, I think-” Jonghyun starts.

“Maybe we should see what the other group’s gonna do,” Angel quietly suggests.

“That makes sense. Since Chaerin and Key are on that team,” the oldest nods. “What do you think?” He turns to Jonghyun this time.

Temporarily rendered speechless, the dino smiles at Angel, but resists the urge to pat her, as he refocuses his gaze on his hyung. “That sounds good,” he nods.

“Who should spy on them?” Angel asks, silently hoping to be picked. While part of it was to get away from Jonghyun, she mostly thought it would be fun to spy on them.

“I say Angel should. She’d be pretty good,” Onew smiles at her, as if reading her thoughts.

“But what if Key reads-what if they find out she’s spying,” Jonghyun starts over, making sure no one heard his slip up.

“Then who should go? :/” Angel frowns.

“Onew should,” he nods, thinking it over in his head.

“Why?” Onew asks, as Angel’s eyes widen.

“They wouldn’t suspect you,” the male shrugs, crossing his arms. “Plus, you’d be able to confuse them if they did,” he alludes to Onew’s power.

Not getting too excited at first, the oldest of the group just muses over it for awhile. He thinks about asking Angel for her opinion, but decides against it when he imagines them getting along while he’s gone. “Well then, it’s settled.”

“What?” the pair ask, at the same time.

“I’ll go spy on the other team,” Onew proclaims, a wide smile on his face.

As Vera plops back down on her side of the bed, she hears laughter come from Taemin. Turning to him, she gives him an annoyed glare. “And what are you laughing about?”

Struggling to stop his laughter, the male just settles with putting his head above the covers. “You were so annoyed,” he finally says, in between giggles.

“She was being unnecessary...”

“She was just looking for her charger,” he shrugs, having missed all of Chaerin’s ulterior motives.

Vera hangs her head. “No she wasn’t...”

“Then what else could she have been doing?” The girl was unsure to be surprised or disappointed by his confused tone.

“Spying?” she offers, hoping it will click in his head.

“Do you think she noticed that I took my shirt off?”

“...” Vera puts the pillow over her head.

Taemin laughs, grabbing the pillow from her hands. “I was just kidding. But now she didn’t see anything, so...”

“You made it worse by hiding.”

“How?”

“Now it looks like we were doing something and trying to hide it.”

“But we weren’t doing anything...”

“That’s not what it looks like to them,” she pouts.

Finally understanding, Taemin nods and sighs. “Mianhae.”

“Ani,” she shakes her head. “What do you think they’re doing right now?”

“All of them?”

“I have no idea,” he smiles at her.

“And that’s all I could find,” Chaerin sighs as she crosses her arms over her chest.

“You could’ve at least sent me pictures,” Key huffs, putting his phone down.

Giggling is heard over Key’s phone and Minho picks it up. “What’s this?”

“Oh, that! Good, you didn’t hit end,” the girl smiles.

“....?” the two guys look at her confused.

“I called you and left my phone in Vera’s room, so we can hear their conversation,” she nods, authoritatively.

“It’s on speakerphone?” the blonde asks, taking the phone from his friend.

Chaerin nods. “Yup.”

Their faces light up in amazement of her skills. “Jinjja?”

Onew tries for awhile to hear through the door, but can’t hear anything. Maybe I should just try going inside? Knowing it was the best option for him to eavesdrop on them, he knocks on the door.

“Do you think she noticed that I took my shirt off?” Taemin’s voice echoes over the speakerphone.

Vera stays silenced and during this silence, the trio hear someone knocking at the door.

Chaerin huffs, getting invested in the eavesdropping. “I’ll get it,” she whispers, running to the door.

Minkey don’t even notice and just keep listening.

“Onew?” she asks, confused when she opens the door to find him. In spy mode, she quickly looks around for Jonghyun and Angel. “What are you doing here?” He can’t be eavesdropping, can he?

“I can’t spend time with my friends?” he asks, smiling. “Can I come in?”

“Oh, sure,” the girl smiles as she lets him in.

“Now it looks like we were doing something and trying to hide it,” speakerphone Vera says, trying hard to not get mad as she explains to Taemin.

“But we weren’t doing anything...” speakerphone Taemin answers.

Minkey laugh over their maknae’s ignorance. “Taemin’s too cute to have a girlfriend sometimes,” the brunette comments.

“Sometimes?” the blonde interjects.

“What’d he say?” Chaerin rushes over to them, feeling left out. “Tell me! I wanna laugh, too.”

“Hey, what are you guys listening to?” Onew asks, as he walks towards them.

“Vera and-” Chaerin starts, before Minho cuts her off.

“Yah. Where’s Jonghyun and Angel?”

“They’re-so what were you laughing about earlier?” the hyung quickly switches topics again.

Key stares at him, confused about why he’s there. Is he trying to spy on us or something? Momentarily forgetting his hyung’s power, he tries to search his mind.

Feeling him enter his mind, the older vampire tries to confuse him by at first thinking of trivial and meaningless things. It wasn’t so hard for him to think such thoughts, as Onew was known for his 4D personality and weirdness. After awhile, he notices Key gets confused, but keeps on with a new tactic, knowing he was strong enough to fend off the weak mental attack. Instead, he locks his eyes with the blonde and just smiles. The level of mental damage that could be caused depended on the intensity of the smile, so he just smiles naturally.

The smile alone was enough to get Key off his back. Cringing, the male just shakes his head and turns back to the phone. “Maybe he’s just giving them some alone time,” he shrugs.

“Really?” Chaerin looks up to Onew as if she just met her role model. Having watched Vera set the couple up, she vowed to do something to help them along, especially during this awkward time they were having. So the possibility of him trying to get them back together made him her favorite person of the day. She quickly wraps her arms around the male.

Onew just laughs and accepts her hug, too lazy to correct Key or even care about Minkey’s side glances at them.

“I wonder what’s taking him so long..” Angel whispers to herself, as she checks her nails; anything to not have to look at Jonghyun.

“I can go check, if you want,” the dino offers.

She nods, and takes out her phone as he leaves. Checking for his presence, she lets out the breath she didn’t know she was holding and hugs her knees. It wasn’t out of coldness, the human was naturally warm once away from any of the 5 vampires, but out of loneliness. While on a mission centered around her friend’s relationship, her mind can’t help but remind her of her own relationship with Jonghyun and how she screwed it up. Fighting back tears that threatened to spill over, she promises to not only try to interact with him through this, but to also talk to him soon.

“Hey, I just remembered something,” Vera says, when she looks at the towel next to Taemin.

“What?”

“Have you showered yet? Or are you laying in a pile of sand?” she starts to check under her sheets for sand.

“No...” Taemin squirms away from her and ends up falling out of the bed. “Ow.”

“Yah! I have to sleep here, you know!” The girl points out, as he scrambles back up to his feet.

“Mianhae, mianhae,” he apologizes, while laughing at himself. “I can go shower now if you want.”

“Good! Go! Now!” she pushes him to the door.

Looking back to face her, he continues to giggle. “I can shower here?”

“I don’t care where you shower. Just do it now.”

Obediently, he just nods and walks into the bathroom, still fighting off giggles.

Vera shakes her head as she brushes out the sand from her bed. “To think that he’s older than me,” she rolls her eyes. Maybe it’s all backwards for vampires?

Jonghyun jogs back to a crouching Angel. “I can’t find him, so I don’t think they suspected him,” he says, in his regular rapidfire manner, before noticing her. “Gwenchanna?”

Standing up, she forces a smile on her face as she nods. “Yeah.”

Being acknowledged by her for the first time in almost a month, the Korean gapes at her. As he regains his composure, he tries not to make a big deal of it and starts a new, albeit awkward, conversation. “So are you enjoying the vacation so far?”

Vera finished brushing the loose sand out of her bed and quickly glares at the bathroom door. How long is it going to take him to shower? Walking over to the door, she knocks on it a few times. “Taemin, why are you taking so long? Did you roll around in the sand or something? It shouldn’t take 15 minutes to shower!”

On the other end of the phone, Minkey crack up at her statement.

Chaerin confused about what was so funny, quickly lets go of Onew and turns to them. “What?”

“You’d think after so many times of staying over, Vera would realize it really does take Taeminnie 15 minutes to shower,” Minho says, through his laughter.

“Because she always complaining about it,” Key adds, as he applauds her.

The girl in the group turns to Onew. “Is this true?”

Jinki nods, giggling behind his head.

“What does he do in there to takes so long?” she asks the 3 at once.

The oldest two burst into another fit of laughter as Minho pats her shoulder. “You don’t wanna know...”

“I’ll be out really soon. Promise~” Taemin yells through the door.

“Lies,” Vera whispers as she trudges back to her bed when she hears laughter coming from somewhere inside the room. What the...? She walks around the room for a bit until she realizes it’s coming from Chaerin’s phone. Picking it up, the girl shakes her head when she notices she left a call on speakerphone. Man that girl needs help. “Hello-” she starts to ask if someone’s still on the line, but then she sees Key’s number on the screen. Hmm... Before she can decide what to do with her friend’s phone, Taemin strolls out of the bathroom, roughly towel drying his hair.

“What’s that?” he asks, looking over her shoulder.

“Oh, it’s just-where are your clothes?” Taking a quick glance at him, Vera sees an image similar to the one he texted her earlier.

“Oh yeah~. I must’ve left them in my room,” he smiles, sheepishly. “Should I go get them?”

Absentmindedly, she starts to nod, but then stops, when she remembers the phone in her hand. “No, you can just wear something I brought...” Putting the down back down, she eyes it suspiciously as she walks over to her suitcase.

“But what if it’s too small for me?” he pouts.

She sends him a glare. “You mean too big?”

“Am I really that skinny?”

“Yes, yes you are. But I like it that way,” she offers a smile before she goes back to searching through her suitcase. After looking for awhile, she finally finds something that might fit him and hands it over.

“Really? But the hyungs said-”

“What did they say now?” she sighs dramatically for effect.

“That you liked someone with more muscle..”

“Jonghyun said that, didn’t he?” she rolls her eyes and the audience laughs. What the-? Her eyes dart back over to the phone.

“Maybe..?” he looks down shyly as he steps into the jeans that hugged his slim legs.

“Dude, we’ve been going out for like 3 years now, you should know what I like by now!” she teasingly, chides him.

Taking her words to heart, the male nods as he puts on the shirt that looks surprisingly familiar. “Vera...?”

“Yeah?” the girl tears her eyes away from the phone momentarily to look at him.

“How much of my clothes do you have?”

“Well..you see..the answer to that question is...”

Is?” Taemin leans in rather close to Vera, so close she could practically feel the cold radiating from his being.

“Half of your closet?” she smiles innocently as she pushes him away from her. Something about having her friends eavesdrop on her made her not want today to be the day of skinship.

“Arasso,” he smiles softly as he backs away, giving her her space for the time being.

“Arasso?” It was strange enough that he was going easy on her about his clothes, but on skinship? Something must be up...

“You can wear my clothes,” he shrugs, nonchalantly, but in a way that seems like he’s hiding something. It was so slight, Vera almost thought he meant she could literally wear his clothes and go scot free. Almost.

“But?”

“We have the getting matching phone cases or something. Maybe a couple tee?” The vampire rattles it off so quickly, but she knew it was something important to him. Because he had been trying to get them matching couple items literally for 3 years now.

“Ani~” she whines, shaking her head furiously. “It’ll be so cheesy~.”

“Well if you don’t, give me my clothes back,” he retaliates, with a sassy tone that leaves Vera incredulous.

The girl scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest. “Make me.”

“Fine,” he gives her a serious look before pouncing on her. Tickling every exposed bit of her, he doesn’t stop until she nearly throws him off her. As he breathes hard, he flashes her a beaming smile. “So can I get my clothes back, now?”

Vera shakes her head again, as she looks for something to dry herself off with, since his damp hair dripped all over her during the ordeal.

“So then-”

“No couple items,” Vera finishes, grabbing the towel he discarded earlier.

“Why not-?”

Vera, if you don’t get some couple items, so help me, I will-” Chaerin threatens over the line, before Minkey slap their hands over in attempt to keep their identity hidden.

“What was that?” Taemin whispers, looking around confused.

“The paparazzi,” Vera rolls her eyes.

The older of the two continues to look around confused. “The paparazzi?”

Leaning over, she cups to his ear. “They’re eavesdropping.”

Taemin shivers at the feeling of her breath on his neck and giggles to himself. Quickly, he snaps back to reality when he sees her watching him. “Who? The hyungs?”

“Basically,” the girl nods.

And back is that serious look from earlier. Standing up, he silently heads towards the door, looking ready to yell at someone.

“Bwoh. Taemin, what are you doing?” Vera rises up.

“They promised they would leave us alone today,” he tries to make it sound threatening, but there was a lingering hint of whining.

“Then let’s do something about it to get back at them,” she suggests, grinning an evil grin.

And what did those two do to get back at their nosy friends? You’ll just have to wait until they release it themselves. ;)