Startling News

Ignorance is Bliss (The Secrets We Keep Inside)

Since the attack on Vera was resolved, everyone has been pretty calm about her and Taemin’s relationship. That’s quite understandable, seeing as they just continues to act the same way with each other. This, of course, doesn’t mean everyone was ok with it.

“That girl! I’ll make her pay!” the redhead says, balling up her fists tightly.

“What girl?” Taemin asks, startling her with his random appearance.

“A-Ah Annyeong, Taemin-oppa,” she says, quickly bowing repeatedly.

“What girl?” he repeats again, the innocent tone of his voice masking his true intentions.

“N-no one,” she tries to wave the thought off. “Taemin-opp-”

“Are you talking about Vera?”

“O-oppa,” she continues to stutter.

“I know what you did, Changmi. I know you’re the one who threatened her,” he starts looking her in the eye, even as she tries to escape his gaze.

Changmi chokes out a laugh and continues to wave her hands. “I didn’t do anything to Vera-ssi. I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Seeing through her obvious lies, Taemin gives her a smile he only uses when he means business. “I just wanted to tell you that if you try that again, I’ll make sure you regret it.” Switching back to his regular breezy smile, the amiable vampire starts to walk away. “Kaja, Changmi. Wouldn’t want to be late to class.^^”

The bell rings and Taemin slides into his seat next to Vera. “Annyeong~” he smiles at her as he starts to get his notebook out.

“Hi there,” she says, not looking up from her notebook.

Pouting slightly, he rests his chin on her shoulder. “Vera~”

“Yes~?” she continues to ignore his existence.

He sighs and gets off her shoulder.

Vera laughs, happy to have annoyed him. “It’s so funny when you’re upset,” she pokes his cheek, obnoxiously.

“Shh, the teacher’s talking,” he says, a finger held up to his teasing lips.

Rolling her eyes, Vera lightly pushes him, but focuses on the board, amongst the vampire’s giggles.

“Since everyone did so well on last quarter’s song composition project, I decided that we should do another one: take an instrumental of a musical piece of your choice, popular or classical, and write lyrics for it. The song can convey any meaning of your choosing, but be prepared to explain it to the class if asked to.” And with that, everyone goes to either a computer to research or their instrument of choice to start composing.

“Do you want to work together?” Taemin asks, turning to Vera as they sit at their respective keyboards.

Without having to think, the girl shakes her head. “No, I’m good.”

“Why don’t you want to work with me?” he asks, worried.

“It’s not that I don’t want to. It’s that I don’t need to,” she explains, smiling slightly. “I already know what song I’m going to do.”

Agreeing with her, Taemin nods and puts his headphones on as the perfect song comes to his mind. Closing his eyes, his fingers play the notes perfectly as if he was born playing it; as if he wrote it; as if it was made for him. Lifting his feet from the pedal and his fingers from the keys, a soft smile paints his face as he opens his eyes. That’s the song.^^ Curiosity strikes the naive vampire once again and he finds himself peeking at Vera to check on her progress. Again, with legs crossed, Vera has her notebook resting in her lap, but she’s copying something into her notebook. After further inspection, Taemin recognizes the song and a smile rises to his face. “I didn’t know you knew that song,” he comments, his voice hushed and light.

She looks up, slightly startled by his abrupt comment. “Yeah. I really like this song...” and proceeds to cover her notebook due to her shy tendencies.

“Why are you copying the sheet music? Aren’t you just writing lyrics?” he watches her, confused.

Vera shakes her head. “I’m changing the music arrangement up a bit so it’ll fit my concept a bit better.”

“You have a concept?”

She nods. “Yup. You’ll find out when I present :P”

Her comment brings a smile to his face and nods, leaving to her work, as he anticipates the finished piece.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow?” Vera asks, a bright smile on her face, as she looks up to Taemin from her front door.

Nodding, he gives her an equally bright smile. “Mochiron,” he says, bringing another smile to her face for using some of the Japanese she’s been teaching him.

Giving him a warm hug, as warm as you can give a vampire, Vera unlocks her front door and walks in, waving at him.

Ordinarily, Taemin would’ve phased home and passed out in his room to get some sleep. But today, the vampire was very pensive, and decided to actually walk his way back home, so as to think of how he was going to tell his hyungs.

Walking through the double doors, Key slams the door behind him, a look of fierce annoyance on his face. “Yah!”

“Key hyung,” the 막내 starts, startled by his hyung’s sudden anger. “Waegeurae?”

“You!” he points at his younger friend so angrily, it was as if he expected him to die on the spot. Technically, Key kinda did. “Is this what humans do to you? I told you not to get involved with her!”

The 3 other hyungs run down from their rooms. “Yah! Key, Taemin-ah, waegeurae?” Jonghyun yells, getting between the son and his umma.

Taemin opens his mouth to explain, but the blonde vampire beats him to it. “He’s dating her! Taemin is dating Vera!”

“Taemin-ah, is this true?” Onew asks, stepping to the front of the pack.

The youngest hangs his head slightly. “...”

“Jeongmal?” Jonghyun starts, his eyes widen at the startling news. “Even after you know she’s a vampire hunter?”

“She’s not a vampire hunter, her family are. When I told her I was a vampire, she was surprised,” Taemin blurts out, trying to defend her.

“You told her!?” the opposites, Jonghyun and Minho, yell in unison.

Key rolls his eyes. “What a good liar...” he mutters under his breath.

“Taemin-ah, we told you not to like her anymore,” Onew says, putting a hand on the young vampire’s shoulder.

Defiantly, Taemin shakes his head. “Key hyung told me I could like her from afar.”

Jonghyun and Minho instantly turn to glare at the still fuming Key. “So it’s your fault.”

“I said from afar! Not once did I mention anything about dating her!” Key yells at the two. Turning to Onew, he says “Now how are we going to punish him?”

The 4 others look at the vampire: Onew surprised; Taemin scared; Jonghyun and Minho still annoyed.

“He’s disobeying us because of some girl! And a human for that! He should be punished!”

“Let’s have Taemin explain first,” Onew finally says after some time of silence and assessing the others.

The other 3 turn to glare at him, trying as hard as Key-umma was, earlier, to kill him on the spot. “Explain,” Jonghyun says through clenched teeth.

“I’m sorry, hyungs. I didn’t mean to disobey you,” Taemin starts, apologetically, even in the face of hs angry hyungs. “It’s just...I got too attached to her. I tried to avoid her and skip the classes we had together, but...she just looked so lonely. Like she needed me. Mianhae,” he lowers his head even more than before to express his remorse.

Minho angrily runs his hand through his hair and huffs as he rests his hand on the lovesick 막내’s shoulder. “Arasso.”

“Arasso?” Key asks, outraged. “He still needs to be punished!”

Jonghyun crosses his arms over his chest and lets out a sigh. “Well, obviously, it’s too late to tell him to avoid her.”

So? We’ll make him transfer schools then!” Key says, causing Taemin’s eyes to widen in shock.

Ignoring Key’s anger-filled preposition, Onew turns to the other 3. “Jonghyun, Minho, you two go to Taemin-ah’s school. Have you ever encountered Vera? What do you know about her?”

The two shake their heads.

“Have you heard anything about her?”

“I haven’t,” Jonghyun admits, her short-lived anger leaving him at this realization. He was so quick to hate someone he never met, completely forgetting his friend’s feelings.

“All I’ve heard is that she’s really quiet and she’s really smart. I haven’t really heard anything bad about her.”

Jonghyun remembers something. “Oh! And she’s from America! She came here 7 years ago.”

Onew nods and turns back to Key. “So what do you think?”

“I still think he shouldn’t see her anymore,” Key huffs, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Well, I think, since no one but Taemin has really talked to her, we should invite her over.”

“For what?!”

“For dinner. Then we can assess her and decide.”

“There is no way in Hell that I’m cooking for that human!”

“Please, Key~. I really want you to meet her, then you’ll see how great she is,” Taemin says, offering heaps of aegyo to the umma.

Key tries to stay angry, but sighs annoyed to give up so easily. “Arasso. But if I don’t like her, I will make it known,” he says, storming off. “And if she doesn’t like my cooking...”