Freedom

Moon And Maknae

Chapter 15: Freedom

 

The bus was almost empty, Luna and Kai chose to sit at the end of the bus with Luna beside the window. Kai had offered her his headphone so she could listen to some music. It was a good thing he got off the car even though his manager told him that it might not be Luna. But he was sure, he’d know it was her.

They rode the bus for another 30 minutes before deciding to get off so they could eat something. He didn’t want to go home yet, he wanted to spend some time with her. It has been so long since they last ate together.

“Wah, it’s a good to be back here.” Luna said after finishing her noodles. Kai chose a place where they had enjoyed meals before as trainees. You could tell that she cried but she was no longer sad. A sad Sunyoung is not a very pleasant sight. She was made to smile and be happy.

“I’m glad you still like it here. I thought you wouldn’t want to eat here.”

“And why would you think that?”

“Well you’re Luna.”

“I’m still Park Sunyoung. Nothing has changed. It’s still me Jongin.” She smiled at him and he smiled back.

He wanted to know the reason why she was crying earlier and why she was at the bus stop near Shinee’s dorm. But Luna is already smiling and if she could eat that much then that would mean she’s okay.

He insisted on taking her back to their dorm. She argued it was late and that he has to go back to Exo’s dorm as well but he told her that’s the more reason he should send her home first. They talked like old friends and he was glad that even though he had hurt her before she’s still nice to him.

“Uhm thanks,” Luna said. “Good night Jongin.”

It’s good to hear her say his name. Kai smiled and said goodnight as well.

“Sunyoung, I don’t know if I should be saying this right now but I’d like to know if we could be friends again…”

His request surprised her because for the past years he acted like they never had anything.

“I know I could not undo the things I did in the past. But I’m just thinking and you don’t have to say yes right away I just would like to be your friend again.”

She saw him hesitate for a second.

“I really miss you.”

Luna didn’t want it to happen but she felt her heart skip a beat when Kai said that.

“It might be too much to ask of you…”

“Jongin, I never stopped being your friend.”

He was too happy that he reached for hand and gave it a squeeze. “Thanks Sunyoung.”

“You really should go home now,” Luna said looking at the waiting taxi.

“Yeah I should. Uhm good night then.” He smiled before he finally looked away from her.

She watched as the taxi drove away. Who would have thought that fighting with Taemin would end up like this? She walked towards the building but stopped, the girls would ask why she’s here and not at Shinee’s dorm then she would have to explain and tell them what happened. She didn’t want them to worry about her and she’s not ready to tell anyone on what happened with her and Kai.

So she turned around and decided to go home not to Shinee’s dorm but to her parent’s house.

_

Minho opened the door to Taemin’s room, he knows he’s waiting for her but would not openly admit it. He found Taemin sitting on the floor having a staring contest with Bap.

“Uhm, am I interrupting something?” Minho said approaching them.

“Not really hyung, I’m just teaching this little monster here who’s the boss,” Taemin replied not blinking and not even looking at him.

Minho is not sure who’s teaching who but it seems like Taemin is going to lose this battle. “I just want you to know that Sunyoung would be staying at her parents’ place she called just now.”

“Bwoh? She left her phone,” Taemin said only to realize that she could use their home phone or someone else’s phone.

“I just finished talking to her.” Bap started barking.

“Yah! I told you not to bark,” Taemin said even holding Bap’s tail now. “You’re really so stubborn just like your umma! I’m going to put you in your cage until you stop barking.” He carried Bap and deposited him in the cage.

“Uhm Taemin, I don’t think you should do that.” But Taemin didn’t hear him.

“She’s not going home so you better behave!” Taemin said to Bap.

Minho shook his head and suppressed a laugh. “Well okay then Taemin appa, I’ll be sleeping now.”

“Oh good night hyung,” Taemin replied not realizing that Minho was still there.

He sat on his bed staring at Bap again for another five minutes and the dog still would not stop barking. “Aish you little monster!” He finally gave up after another round of barking and let him out. Bap stopped barking and sat on the rag. “Look I know you don’t like me, and the feeling is mutual but you need to listen to me okay?” Bap blinked twice. “Umma won’t be back tonight so you’ll stay here with me. Just don’t be noisy or do something not nice you got that?” Bap actually barked like he understood and this made him smile. “Okay then.”

_

Luna tossed and her bed thinking of the events today. Instead of going to Shinee’s dorm directly Taemin brought her to his parents’ house because it’s his mom’s birthday and then they fought because according to him she lied to his parents about having children with him and she walked out on Taemin. She met Kai and he accompanied her it really didn’t clear her mind about Taemin but he made her forget the incident. And now she’s back with being friends with Kai. And she ended up going home to her parents. And she’s wondering just what is Taemin doing or if he’s already asleep or if he’s torturing Bap. Minho assured her that Bap would be fine but who knows what Taemin would do. He never made it a secret that he doesn’t like her dog.

_

She came back to Shinee’s dorm very early in the morning. Her mom made breakfast that she could share with the boys and she was relieved when everyone is still home maybe they don’t have a schedule. She was careful not to make a sound while she walked around the apartment to find Bap but he was nowhere. He can’t be in there with Taemin, it’s not just possible.

She turned the knob and smiled because he did not lock the door. She slowly walked in careful not to make a sound. She still did not see Bap’s cage but her dog is sleeping beside Taemin. She forgot to tell Taemin not to let Bap sleep on any bed. She never lets him sleep on hers. But she never even thought that Taemin would even consider sleeping in the same room with her dog. Such an innocent looking face, Luna thought as she slowly takes Bap off the bed. She was thankful that Bap remained sleeping in her arms. Taemin moved kicking the blanket in the process. She could have just left him like that but being Luna she put Bap on the rag and pulled the blanket over Taemin, tucking him in.

Without her knowing it she was already staring at him.

“Sunyoung?” Luna was startled when someone called her name Key was standing at the doorway. “What are you doing?”

“Shhh,” she said and quickly left the room.

“Sorry to wake you oppa,” she whispered. “I’ll have breakfast ready.

“Uhm okay,” Key whispered back.

“Why are you two whispering?” Jonghyun said out loud and both jumped in surprise.

“Good morning oppa!” Luna recovered and pulled both of them to the kitchen.

“Wah when did you prepare these?” Jonghyun asked.

“My mom made them, I stayed there last night.” Luna didn’t say why and Jonghyun didn’t ask.

Minho and Onew woke up as well.

“Oppa let’s have breakfast now,” Luna said handing out the chopsticks to everyone.

“Uhm Sunyoung, don’t you want to wake up Taemin first?” Minho said.

Luna was about to answer when Onew volunteered. “I’ll go!” he said but Key stopped him.

“Let Luna do it hyung,” Minho said.

“Aniyo, she already prepared breakfast she must be tired. Just sit there and I’ll go bring Taemin here.” Onew stood up but Minho blocked him.  “What?”

“Luna wants to do it hyung,” Minho said.

 

“Ani I said I’ll – ” Key stuffed some bread into his mouth and that shut him up.

 

“Go ahead Sunyoung,” Key almost pushed her.

 

She took a deep breath before opening the door, Taemin is no longer sleeping in fact he’s not even in bed. She was about to call him when he came out of the bathroom wearing only his boxers and a towel in hand. Luna’s first reactions was to cover and even when she didn’t mean it her eyes immediately fell on his slightly visible abs.

“Yah! Where are you looking at?” Taemin immediately turned around and Luna almost laughed at his reaction. “Don’t you know how to knock?”

Luna recovered and composed herself. “I thought you were still sleeping. I came to wake you up, breakfast is ready.”

“Arasseo, arasseo I’ll be out in minute.”

When Taemin came out of his room fully dressed of course they had already started eating. Luna and Onew were talking animatedly about a new musical in town. He heard Luna telling Onew that she wants to do a musical with him.

He tried to make eye contact with her but she was too busy talking to Onew. He never got to talk to her at breakfast at all. They don’t have a schedule today except for Jonghyun but Luna would be going to school. He waited for her so he could take her to school.

But when she came out of the room she was talking to someone on her phone and didn’t even notice him standing there.

“Sunyoung,” he tried to call her but she didn’t hear him.

“I’m free all afternoon,” she said. “Well okay then see you later.”

“Oppa I’m going out now!” She shouted to the others while she puts on her shoes.

Is she purposely ignoring me? Taemin thought.

“Yah Park Sunyoung!”

She jumped in surprise and finally looked at him. “Do you really have to shout?”

“I called you but you were too busy on the phone,” Taemin said.

“What?”

“Uhm do you want me to uhm you know drive you to school?” Taemin said.

“Are you sick?” Taemin never offered to drive her before.

“I won’t be doing anything today and Key hyung asked me to buy some uhm…” Taemin couldn’t think of anything.

“Milk!” Key supplied saving Taemin from his lies. “We ran out of milk.”

“Yes of course milk!” Taemin said.

“You better just let him drive you Sunyoung, you don’t have to take the bus today.”

“Okay then,” Luna said. “Oppa could I just leave Bap here today?”

“I’ll take him!” Taemin said and whistled and for the first time in Bap’s entire existence he answered to a whistle. He never does it for Luna and this really amazed her.

“How did you do that?” Luna said looking at Taemin picking up Bap.

“Bap and I came to an understanding.”

“Bwoh?”

“Let’s just say we’re now friends.” He said. “Now come on or you’ll be late!”

_

“Thanks,” Luna said as she unclasped her seatbelt the drive was short and Bap behaved well.

“Wait!” Taemin came out of the car as well.

“What?”

“About yesterday,” he started. “I’m sorry for yelling at you and for everything I said that hurt you.”

Luna smiled. “I’m sorry I walked out on you.”

“So we’re good now?”

Luna nodded. After what she saw this morning (and she’s not thinking about seeing Taemin with just his boxers on) he took care of Bap even though he never really liked the dog and that’s enough to melt her heart.

“Uhm where did you go last night?”

“You mean after I left your apartment? Kai found me at the bus stop and we went around for a ride then ate dinner.”

“Oh really? So you were with Kai after all.” Taemin whispered.

“Sorry Taemin but I have to go or I’ll be late, I’ll see you later!” Not hearing anything he said she dashed out of the car.

Taemin watched her go thinking that things would really change from now on. Would his heart still be the same after all this?

_

Shinee and f(x) became even busier and Luna was hardly ever home, most of the time she stays with f(x) and that leaves Bap behind with Taemin. He still calls him little monster and not Bap but the dog is attached to him and he won’t admit it but the feeling is mutual. Even when Luna is busy she still makes them breakfast when she can and she often sends him messages, sometimes she leaves sticky notes just about everywhere reminding them to take their meds or vitamins and drink lots of water. She never forgets to say goodnight even when she’s not sleeping at Shinee’s dorm and even when Taemin would not reply.

Luna’s birthday came but f(x) has a schedule he already called to greet her but they only got to talk for a few minutes the girls had a tight schedule today. He was planning to give her a small dinner party but she can’t make it. She said she’ll be sleeping at f(x)’s dorm tonight as well. So the dinner party is not going to happen.

“Sunyoung won’t be here then?” Jonghyun asked him.

“She can’t hyung,” Taemin answered.

“Well it’s a good thing I gave her birthday gift two days ago.”

“What did you get her?” Taemin asked curious as to what Jonghyun gave Luna.

“Uhm something very useful,” Jonghyun smiled getting all of Taemin’s attention. “It’s something that would help a new wife.”

“And what is that?” Taemin sat up straight.

Jonghyun thought for a moment and decided not to tell Taemin. “You better ask her. Well I’m going out tonight then. Do you want to come?”

 “Nope,” Taemin answered. “Bap and I would just watch a movie.”

“Are you sure? The others won’t be here until after midnight.”

“I’m sure hyung,” he assured him.

“Okay then, call me if you change your mind.” Jonghyun left after that. Taemin the television and settled on watching some sports channel. After an hour he checked his phone, no message from Luna. He wanted to give her the birthday gift today while it’s still her birthday. He didn’t get her something expensive, just a simple necklace with a half-moon pendant.

He finally gave up and sent her a message asking her if she’s already home. He waited for a reply but another 10 minutes passed and nothing came. Finally he decided to call her.

_

They were done with the photo shoot sooner than expected it was almost lunch and their manager decided to treat the girls to a nice restaurant for Luna’s birthday too. Halfway through the meal their manager got a call that their next schedule was cancelled and would be rescheduled for next week which means Luna would have a free time before she meets her family for dinner.

The girls greeted her again before leaving for their own schedules, they all had given their gifts last night. Sulli gave her a purse, Krystal gave her a cute pair of shoes that she’s wearing today, Victoria gave her a makeup set and Amber’s gift was a book of classic Chinese poems. They part ways as she decided to visit a pet shop store because she needs to buy Bap’s food before going home.

Luna thanked the store owner before leaving with the heavy package in her hands. She reached for her phone and saw Taemin’s message. He asked if she’s going to be home for dinner she was about to reply when a call came. It’s Kai calling her. After the bus stop incident they’d been in constant communication, of course they still see EXO now and then in music shows. They also met a few times for tea or coffee. Kai said he wants to make up for all the years he ignored her. Of course she never tells Taemin when she’s out meeting Kai. She tells herself that she’s only going out with a friend and Taemin’s not even a real husband.

Being with Kai is like being 15 again, being giddy with a simple text or when his eyes meet hers. He called to greet her and to ask if she’s doing anything tonight. She told him that she’ll just have dinner with her family and nothing else after.

“Would it be okay if we meet up after dinner?” he asked with a hopeful voice.

“Well I guess we could,” Luna said. They didn’t plan anything at the dorm and Shinee already knows that she won’t be home tonight. Kai told her where they could meet and she agreed to meet up after dinner with her parents. This is the first time she won’t be spending her birthday with her twin since Jinyoung is abroad.

By 4 o’clock Luna was already home, her mom was busy preparing dinner.

“Sunyoung, why didn’t you bring Taemin?” Mrs. Park asked.

Luna thought on how to answer this, she didn’t want to lie and say Taemin is busy because she knows that he didn’t have any schedule today. And she didn’t want to tell them that she’s not comfortable having Taemin here tonight. She didn’t want a repeat of their fight after having dinner with their parents.

“Maybe he’s busy,” her father answered for her like reading her mind. “And it’s nice to just have Sunyoung alone here with us though it would be perfect with Jinyoung here too.”

She was glad that her mother didn’t ask more, they never even discussed Taemin or her marriage over dinner again. After dinner Luna said goodbye to her parents, she promised she’ll visit with Taemin some other time. Kai called her minutes after saying he’s already waiting at the park just near SM, it’s the same park where they used to hang out after practice the same park where she had her first kiss.

“Did you wait long?” Luna asked when she got there. Kai was just sitting on the swing, he stood up immediately when he saw her.

“What’s that?” he asked looking at Bap’s dog food.

“Oh this is for Bap, I ran out of dog food.” Luna knows Kai also love dogs, one thing they have in common.

“I’m glad you could come,” Kai said. “I have something to give you.”

“Really?” Kai made her sit on the swing and went behind her.

“I wanted to give this to you before,” He took a necklace from his pocket with a heart pendant.

“Jongin,” Luna tensed as Kai clasped the lock. “It’s beautiful.”

“I’ve had it for years Sunyoung,” he started.

“What do you mean?” Kai continued to stand behind her.

“I kept it hoping that I could give it to you someday,” Kai answered. “When you got into f(x) I was so happy for you. A normal trainee would give 100% but you gave much more than that when you were a trainee. And you deserve the spot you have in the group, but I knew everything would change once you debut.”

“Jongin what are you trying to say?”

Kai walked in front of her and knelt before her. “What I’m trying to say is that I never stopped loving you.”

“What?”

“I’ve loved you from afar Sunyoung, even before you noticed I was there. I’ve liked you even before you asked me to practice with you because Taemin was too busy or you can’t find anyone to practice with. I know I did a terrible thing in the past, I left you hanging without telling you my real feelings. But I had to do that, I can’t be the reason of you not making it to f(x). The day that I told you to meet up I wanted to confess to you, but I didn’t because the management found out about us. They told me that if we want to debut that we should stop seeing each other before it gets too serious.”

“So it’s true that you really cared for me?”

“And much more Sunyoung,” Jongin said. “I didn’t want to continue hiding, I can’t anymore. I still love you Sunyoung. I know the management won’t allow us to date openly and I don’t know if you feel the same way too. I just want you to know that my feelings for you never changed.”

“I’m sorry Jongin but I can’t do this,” Luna said after a while.

“You can’t?”

“I can’t tell you why but it’s just that I’m not allowed to do this.”

“What do you mean?” Kai asked but it was obvious that Luna won’t tell him the reason. “So you do not feel the same way too.” It was not a question, Kai’s shoulders dropped and head bowed down.

“Ani,” came Luna’s faint voice. “It’s been years but I still kept Mr. Pig and I’ve been telling myself that I only keep it because it’s cute. But the truth is, it’s something that gives me hope that everything that happened between us before was not a dream.”

“Sunyoung… are you saying you’ll give us a chance?”

She could no longer hold her tears, how could she break it to him that she’s already married when he’s looking so vulnerable and when he just poured out his heart?

Luna shook her head. “I’m sorry.”

Kai squeezed her hands. “I understand, I know I don’t deserve a second chance. I don’t have the right to demand anything from you. But I want you to know that I’ll wait for you.”

_

Taemin stood frozen on the spot as he listened to their conversation. He never knew that the connection between them had been this deep. He thought it was just a simple crush. Or even if it was more than that, he assumed they would have forgotten about those feelings. It never occurred to him that Jongin likes her this much. He remembered when they were trainees that Jongin would always have something bad to say about Sunyoung. Like she’s too loud, that she should find someone else to disturb, and that she’s annoying. Who would have thought that he likes Sunyoung too?

But he did remember that even though Jongin could not find something good to say about Sunyoung he’d always notice her when she’s there even when she’s right across the street or practicing at the adjacent room to theirs. He somehow senses her presence.

You might ask why and how he got here to where the two of them met. He still has her phone bugged. So he could still locate her. When she didn’t reply to his text message Taemin sent a message to Amber asking about Luna’s whereabouts. He wanted to give his birthday present for her, he could wait until tomorrow but it won’t be the same so he has to give it now while it’s still her birthday.

When Amber told him that Luna’s at her parent’s house but would be sleeping at f(x)’s dorm he decided to just wait for her and so he tracked her.

But then he ended up witnessing Kai’s confession, and the revelation of their past. How could his friend keep something like this from him? If he had known about this then he would never have agreed to marry Luna he could have bargained with SM or with his parents just to stay with Shinee without marrying her.

He knows Kai. When he sets his mind into something, he’s got to achieve that or win. Kai’s an all or nothing guy. Just look at how he kept loving Luna even when there’s no guarantee that she would still feel the same.

And Luna still feels the same. He could tell. As much as he didn’t want to acknowledge it, he knows that Luna still has feelings for Kai.

He waited with his breath held for Luna’s reply.

_

Luna walked slowly towards the building. The girls would probably be sleeping now, except maybe Amber who loves to wait for everyone to get home before she calls it a night. She was about to enter the building when she noticed Taemin’s car and Taemin was standing just beside it.

“Taemin…?” she ran towards him. Now she suddenly remembers that he sent her a message earlier.

“Hey,” Taemin said when she stopped in front of him. “Happy birthday.”

Luna crossed her arms. “Where’s my gift?” She noticed that his voice is somewhat sad.

“Am I not good enough?”

“Bwoh?” He looked at her straight in the eyes.

“I’m your birthday gift. I think my presence is more than enough,” he said teasing Luna finally letting out his usual smile.

“Yah! You should at least pretend you just forgot to bring it,” she lightly hits his arm.

Taemin saw the necklace she’s still wearing. “Sunyoung-ah.” He felt the weight of the necklace in his pocket. He could not give it to her after all.

“Neh?”

“I do have a gift for you," he paused still looking at the necklace.  I’ll give you freedom.”

_

Thank you everyone for being patient.

Thanks to those who left comments as well.

Hope you guys are all good. 

Happy Easter :)