The Hunted 16

The Hunted

Chunji's POV
 
My mind was racing by this point. I had no clue how the transformation would happen, fast or slow. What if I suddenly can't control myself and attack the others. This however didn't make L Joe distance himself at all. If anything he held me closer, completely engulfing me in his warm, concerning embrace.
 
He would ask me periodically if I felt any different, or if my shoulder was sore, or if I needed anything, then when I would answer no to every question he would bury his face back into my neck, as if hiding from reality.
 
I didn't push him away or ask for him to stop because it reminded me how human I still am. My heart would beat out of my chest and my cheeks would burn in embarrassment at the intimate contact. I would only hold him closer, as if holding onto my humanity as I watch everyone's, careful, eyes scan over L Joe and myself periodically.
 
L Joe tugged at my waist with another, apparently, dreadful thought. It made Ricky jump at the sudden shift while he again, unnecessarily, tended to me but I smile at the scared boy and drawl him closer with a shy smile. He's nervous, evidently but leans in, not a second later.
 
“I hope you find a happy ending.” I finally whisper into his ear, making the boy jump back in an instant, embarrassed and flushed. I grin at his reddening cheeks and wandering eyes, knowing exactly what I implied. He's too shy to smile at my suggestion but he throws his arms around me and lets the tears come back, making me almost regret my, attempted, goodbye to the boy.
 
Ricky pulls away after a long minute and shuffles away on his knees, burying his red, tear stained cheeks in his knees as he plays with his fingers like a child.
 
L Joe's POV
 
It's been, nearly, 8 hours by now but it feels like days of holding ourselves together. We're all more shaken than Chunji probably would've expected. Niel was beyond nervous every time he joined Ricky in addressing his wound. Ricky was shaken beyond words. The way his eyes glossed over every time he made the slightest eyes contact and the way Niel's breath caught every time he would cringe in anguish was troubling. CAP's eyes were boring into Chunji's. The frustration was clear on his face as he tried to calm, the disheartened, Niel and ignoring his own, evident, empathy. Changjo was still, apparently, pale and stressed. He never stopped grinding his teeth in self-conviction.
 
I had surprisingly little hatred to the boy that almost killed Chunji. I knew he was disturbing himself enough with his thoughts and would be haunted by the request he nearly filled. No he didn't need my accusations or correction because he didn't do it and the only thing I have time to concern myself with at this point is Chunji.
 
I'm nearly passed out by now but refuse to sleep, as does Chunji apparently and I choke back the lump in my throat that becomes clear at the idea that I'll never see his, handsome, face again. I let him shift in my arms and he lies, too comfortable, in my hold.
 
“I'm tired.” He finally whispers in defeat and gets longing stares from ever unprepared face in the room. We knew exactly what that meant. He wasn't just giving in. He had been fighting for the last however many hours. Rejecting sleep to defy his fate but it had become too much. He was far too weak by this point. He hadn't slept since the day before yesterday and the stress must be draining. He was wearing down steadily throughout the night and I had to finally accept my loss but he was so much more than that now.
 
He wasn't a fatality. He'd become my life. He'd become my hope for a future. He was my comfort and my friend. He'd been all of these things ever since I met him in those woods and realized something from my life had survived with me. Ever since I realized there was a future that I wanted, but now.
 
Now, my fingers ached to hold him for entirely different reasons. My touch had other intentions. I was suddenly too lonely, even with Chunji holding his appropriate spot in it but what frightened me the most in this moment was my heart. It sped, beside myself as I held the unaware boy more closely. He'd become more somehow. Watching my life being taken from me was never so horrifying. It was somehow more powerful than the strain on my heart when my parents slip through my fingers. I was at a complete loss. I was completely useless. I had failed the boy that I had fallen in love with.
 
He stops my self hatred by shifting, suddenly, in my embrace. He surprises me, taking my face in his hands, my, probably red, cheeks, smiling back at my curious expression and continues to run his fingers across my temple down to my throat with a lingering touch that made me shudder.
 
“L Joe,” He whispers. My emotions waver for a short second but he leans closer, making my breath hitch absently, only to come out more shallow at the thought of his suddenly reachable lips. He was getting far too close while my shaky breath skims his perfect mouth. “I wasn't completely honest with you Byunghun.” He mumbles and immediately concern fills my eyes as I file, meaninglessly, through every word he's spoken.
 
“Chanhee?” I sigh in desperation, letting my palm rest on the hallow of his throat.
 
“I still have feelings for you. They never changed, or lessened. I've been in love with you this whole time, and I wanted to apologize.” He lets his voice fall as the confessing words are swallowed. My face must be horror struck as my first reaction springs to my lips.
 
“Why would you do that...to yourself?” I beg, still caressing his face in apology. He rest my hand on top of mine and my true relief, at his honesty, must seep through.
 
“I just didn't want you to be scared of hurting me anymore.” He mumbles, making me narrow my eyes in discontent.
 
“Chunji, you're so...dumb.” I chuckle to myself and reaches for his fallen hand and I fight a smile when our fingers link in perfect unison. They fit so well. “You're telling me. That right now, your heart is pounding? Your palms are sweating? Your stomach is flipping? Your mind is racing?” He bites that amazing bottom lip at my perfect description of my own feelings and nods into my shoulder.
 
“They are.” He sighs and my arms lace around him soundly.
 
“Mine too.” I breaths into his hair and he stills. “The butterflies are there. The want. The emotion and I have no idea why.” He swallows too loudly in disbelief, making me chuckle. “Nothing's changed. You're still brilliant. You're still charming. You're still beautiful but the way you make me want you is completely different because now, I think I love you.” My heart is finally light. My face burns scarlet and I want to cringe at my late confession. The confession that couldn't receive more than acceptance and then it would be over because he was going to be gone by dawn. Chanhee was finally what we wanted him to be to me and now I'm going to lose him completely. Having nothing more than memories, both unforgivable and unforgettable.
 
“You love me? You finally love me?” I want his voice to be mocking, or scornful. He should be mad but the smile in his voice is nothing but honest. He's happy. He's somehow happy that he finally got me, even with hours left of his time.
 
“I do.” I sound almost apologetic and want to slap myself at the lousy confession but Chunji is once again too close to my shameful face.
 
“Kiss me?” He smiles warmly and I shake my head in happy surprise. Taking his warm soft cheeks into my nervous hands, I capture his lips between mine and the shudder that runs through me makes my breathing stop, as he does the same. We must look like idiots, so floored by such a soft kiss but it was my favorite feeling. My favorite memory of the red head in front of me. I would forget the horrible things about to happen for this moment and only feel him.
 
He just as soon reacts and I feel him melt into my, too loving, caress. His chest presses to mine in an absent desire to get closer and our lips move over each other in quiet contentment. The gentle pressure being exchanged and the meaningful traces of his tongue against my lips make me smile in pleasant amusement. His breathing stops when I scrape my teeth over his bottom lip to match his teasing but I stop myself to rest my forehead against his. Be still my beating heart. I could live the rest of my life right here, with this boy.
 
“Is this my goodbye?” I finally ask my, nagging, question with a strained, repentant heart.
 
“I wish it was your hello.” He mumbles, just as quietly and I hold in my rampant emotions begging me to stop this, knowing there is nothing I left to do.
 
“Sleep, Channie. I love you. Please, remember me like this.” I beg and he finally lets himself cry. He's finally scared and it seems more fitting but even more heartbreaking. Still, he places a chaste kiss on my lips, once more, and leans back into my arms letting the sobs fall silent.
 
Changjo's POV
 
L Joe broke down time and time again after that, unwilling to release the still unconscious, but dying boy's body. We forced the two apart and let L Joe grieve in his own way because if he was attached to Chunji when he woke up, our concerns would only double.
 
L Joe took the correction and finally distanced himself from the boy's, lax, body. After their confessions, I assumed it'd be all the more difficult for L Joe but at the very least it seems he doesn't have that left to regret, he's been rather reminiscent and the longing in his eyes never disappeared, as silent tears stained his face every time his eyes landed on Chunji.
 
Everybody had been completely anxious since the moment Chunji's breathing became steady. I was trying so hard to forget what I almost did. Tried so hard to convince myself I wouldn't have done it. Tried to forgive myself because Chunji wanted it but there was no stopping my repentance, watching the boy lie so peacefully in front of us, made any reasoning nearly impossible. Why should it be? He was our friend. He was like a mother to Ricky. He was a lover to L Joe. I realize now, that it isn't just me, in death there can, apparently, no longer be reason.
 
Niel and CAP had, again, created some sort of bubble of comfort and self-reassurance that, I'm sure, we were all jealous of. They had each other in this. The rest of us were alone. L Joe especially but Ricky and I as well.
 
Ricky. Chunji's words had cut me even more deep now, having become so much more than correction at this point. He was pleading with me to forgive Ricky. To trust him. No, to try to trust him. I wouldn't ignore such a, sincere, request. I rarely allow myself to look at Ricky as anything more than a hostage, of sorts, but in Chunji's name, I would. I wanted to tell him this but prying him from L Joe in his last moments was unforgivable, so I didn't and tried to convince myself he needn’t know. Same outcome, none the less. Ricky would become, something of a project, to me. I would fight for this boy's sanity because Chunji trusted him.
 
I crane my neck at these thoughts and let my eyes fall on Ricky, and take note of the broken expression. Chunji was the best thing that ever happened to this boy and he reacted as such. He was left behind and in his state, who knew how he would cope. How does one that isn't, entirely, sane deal with heartbreak?
 
My eyes fall to his small frame, that curled in on itself in defense. His fingers clutch desperately to a small blade that, normally would be of no consequence but the same small knife is currently digging, willingly, into the back of the boy's hand. It was an ugly sight, not only the bloodied hand but the lost expression that never left his face. He was so far gone. I immediately stand and approach the distracted boy, who when he notices me, of course retracts his hand and hides both the injury and his weapon.
 
I stare, as if uninterested but let whatever amount of concern decides to show, to do just that and I hold out my palm, expectantly. His eyes land on mine. Ashamed and scared, as he offers up his tool in silence. I sigh at his compliance and reach for his, nearby, first aid, in another attempt to show concern.
 
Dressing his, reluctant, hand wasn't, terribly, troublesome. I wasn't incompetent and his hand wasn't the victim of too long of an attack, perhaps five minutes. Five minutes of this self-mutilation going unnoticed. I sigh again, almost in apology of my ignorance and keep my eyes focused on the torn, abused flesh in front of me and finally force myself to meet the, still troubled, boy's eyes.
 
“Yo-you made it clear you want nothing to do with me, you don’t have to do this.” He mumbled holding his head down. I ignore his words and continue to wrap his hand.
 
“Why?” Is all I can convince myself to ask. My conscience screams for more, but my sanity begs me to say less.
 
“He's really dying.” A, cracked, whisper is the late reply.
 
“He wouldn't want this.” Is my dumb offering.
 
“I don't think it'll bring him back.” He chokes again, as I finish dressing his hand and let my eyes lift to his again. “I want the pain to go away.” I stare for too long, embarrassing him. “If I focus on the pain...I forget about Chunji.” He breaths in shakily and, once more, that familiar little boy reveals himself, in tears.
 
My brain screams insanity, begs me to pull away because the boy is unstable but I fight it with the thought of Chunji and attempt to focus on, the broken hearted, Ricky that is sitting here. My instincts, again, contradict themselves but I settle down beside him, attempting to block his view of the long asleep Chunji.
 
“Could I help you forget for a while?” I mumble, making Ricky gasp, despite himself.
 
“You don't have to.” He whispers, leaning into his knees again and I swallow my pride to wrap a, reluctant, arm around the boy beside me. He is completely rigid at this point but I don't move, because it'd only be more embarrassing. After a long awkward pause, Ricky relaxes into me, making me nearly flinch but I stop myself and let him slacken. If this is what it takes, then this is what it takes. I can be his comfort.
 
 
v6k693l.jpg
 
It's been nearly two days of this. It was absurd that Chunji hadn't woken. Why was he sleeping for so long? His breathing was still heavy and the pleasant smile was still on his face but we were all, beyond, stressed. Dawn has once again risen and I considered asking the others what, exactly, we planned to do because they were, probably, just as curious of Chunji's behavior but I didn't want to leave his body behind. That made little sense for a few reasons, the most important being that this wasn't normal.
 
When someone is bitten I've only even seen a few hours separate them from their fate. Why was Chunji different and how different was he? L Joe wasn't thinking rationally, it seems, because he was still almost in constant grief, completely silent and unwilling to consider the questionable period of time.
 
Niel was as suspicious as me, while Ricky was holding himself together with Changjo, finally, by his side. Changjo showed little thought on his face, he's probably just concerned for Ricky. I noticed the bandage on his hand, soaked in blood, which most likely had something to do with their sudden friendliness.
 
“Hey, we’ve got a problem” Niel’s voice rang out breaking me from my thoughts.
 
“What is it?” Changjo was the first to ask.
 
“A small hoard is headed this way, just wandering but, still, coming our direction.” Niel informed.
 
“How, do you know that?” Changjo asked, confusion written all over his face.
 
“I was on the roof watching the sun rise. It helps me relax.” Niel whined, defending himself.
 
“The roof?” Changjo questioned, causing Niel to roll his eyes.
 
“Yes, the roof. Now focus. Zombies are headed this way.” He said again
 
“, we need to go” was Changjo’s imitate answer.
 
“We can’t risk moving him.” L Joe cut in after not saying anything for hours.
 
“Well we, sure as hell, can’t stay here. This house is we have to take the risk and move him.” Niel countered and I nodded my head in agreement.
 
“But-” He started and as I moved to object until Niel stopped me. He walked over to L Joe and knelt down in front of him, holding his face with a new determination but the sentiment behind it was moving.
 
“L Joe-” He whispered “We have to move him. We can’t stay here. He’ll be okay.” Niel promised. I smiled lightly. Niel didn’t show this side of him often, but when I did it was always a treat.
 
L Joe nodded in agreement and went to gather our things. Niel turned to me and smiled, and I did my best to ignore the way my heart sped up. I smiled back and looked around and found some old pipes and some sheets and made a stretcher. We placed Chunji as gently as we could on the make shift gurney.
 
“Are you sure you can handle walking by yourself” Niel said for the tenth time.
 
“Yes, mother. I’ll be okay you guys just worry about keeping Chunji steady.” Niel puffed out his cheeks and rolled his eyes, and it wasn’t long until we set off.
 
We were taking a, much needed, break. My leg was on fire but I refused to complain. It had been a few hours at best since we set out when Chunji's breathing changed, forcing Niel and I to react too quickly for anybody else's nerves. I was tense since he fell asleep and at this point I needed an answer. My gun was loaded and I had a clear shot when it became necessary. The gruff mumbles as he shifted made my fingers tighten on my trigger and Niel did the same, leaning into my shoulder, like normal.
 
When Chunji's eyes opened, I expected to see lifeless, gray irises that would make me flinch and put an unquestionable bullet through the once friendly, smart, in love boy's head but that was no longer an option, when warn brown orbs scanned the room in question. He was too sleepy to be confused but we were all far more tense at this point but L Joe didn't fight running toward the woken boy before I could beg his caution.
 
“Chunji? Are you okay?” He whispers the question on all of our lips and we stare on, until his blank morning expression morphs into one of utter joy. An, oddly, familiar grin breaks out onto his face. I still for a long moment when his arms wrap around L Joe's neck and buries his face into his collar but his next step is nothing incriminating as he presses his smiling mouth to L Joe's and Ricky jumps up in an unbending desire to see the woken boy for himself.
 
Niel stares at me in utter confusion. Begging an answer but I have to take a moment to even consider this option. Chunji wasn't supposed to survive. He definitely got bitten. He definitely was growing weak, so what changed? Was it our imagination? Was it mental? Was that girl in the house not really what we thought she was? Nothing is adding up.
 
I suddenly stand, with Niel, unmistakably, on my tail, helping me to Chunji's side. I stare at him, reassured by his familiar smile and I smile back, despite my confused state but then rip away the bandage on his bitten shoulder, in desperation to see what exactly was our situation. The bite was most definitely there. Torn and gruesome, just the same, but new healing forms around the missing flesh in hopes of fixing itself. Undead do not, heal. Most definitely. I stare at the supernatural boy in front of me in amazement.
 
“CAP?” He whispers, letting his scratchy voice catch after days of no use. “What's happened to me? Why aren't I dead?” He begs with anxious hope filling his eyes.
 
“Chunji...you're special.” I admonish the confused boy, who shakes his head in denial.
 
“I don't understand.” He breaths, excepting L Joe's offer of water and then food.
 
“It's the only option I can think of...Our agency and the world health organization did research on a virus that was discovered that mutated constantly. So much so we could never properly analyze it. We found it years ago as a mutated disease that we'd, obviously, never seen before. It looked like an answer to life after death, at first but we soon noticed it was much more than that as it continued to develop into what it's become today. A flesh hungry, super human that's now taken over the world in different forms. Test were taken and different breeds seemed to sprout from the original, that seems almost dismissible in comparison. We fought for a cure but it seems unstoppable. Years after the project was moved from our jurisdiction all hell broke loose.” I pause, taking a moment to stare in awe at the boy. “I don't know why you're okay Chunji but all I can say is, sometimes you have to just be ignorantly grateful.” I finish dumbly. Honestly unsure of what could have been his saving grace. His lineage? His blood type? His white blood cells? Anything could have factored in but there isn't really a way to know the answer at this point. All I know is...he is immune.
 
“How long?” He mumbles, making me narrow my eyes in confusion. “How long was I asleep?” He continues and I my brow in amusement.
 
“Nearly two days. I never expected this.” I smile, patting his head. His eyes are wide at my answer and he looks around the surrounding area again.
 
“That long? You all waited that long? You even risked moving me” He is evidently shocked, as he should be and turns back to the still love struck L Joe.
 
“I told you. Till the end.” He promises, petting the boy's cheek and leaning in to press his lips to his forehead. “I've been given a second chance Chanhee. I intend to use every opportunity I have to fall more in love with you.” He has me practically rolling my eyes at his confession. The sappy guys always win the maiden's heart. Chunji is, evidently, smitten with the words and bites his lip in excitement at the prospect of winning his prince when his eyes land on the, still, excited Ricky's hand.
 
“What happened?” He squeaks, making the boy flush and cradle his hand behind his back.
 
“He distracted himself." Changjo is the one to answer but his tone shows distaste for what he's saying. He steps forward, not two moments later and offers a shy smile on his lips. “I thought about what you said and I'm going to try. Being able to trust him would be nice.” He nods to himself, and let's Ricky step up beside him to look on with admiration.
 
“You will?” Ricky whimpers, hopefully but only receives a nod.
 
“Yes but this-” He pauses to hold us the bandages bloodied hand. “Isn't a good start. Please don't do it again.” He corrects, gaining a happy smile of agreement and Ricky latches his arms around the taller boy's waist in thanks.
 
“I'll do my best.” Is Ricky's promise as he releases the tense Changjo. “Sorry” He mumbled sheepishly. Chunji looks, surprisingly, pleased with the awkward exchange but soon corrects himself and takes a long moment to think.
 
“We need to keep moving north.” He suggest and I'm hardly surprised at his eagerness. This area doesn't hold entirely wonderful memories and it isn't anywhere near safe, so I nod to myself and look on to Niel who notices my agreement and smiles. My pulse picks up and I groan mentally. My body has got to stop, ing, turning against me.
 
Changjo soon agrees to Chunji's request and we gather our things. My leg had gotten a few days of rest which was beyond my wildest dreams when Chunji first got bitten but I wasn't 100% yet and still had to brace myself on my life line. No, I could manage but after our sudden departure my leg is anything but grateful.
 
Chunji and L Joe were quick to intertwine their fingers, making my want to throw up rainbows as we made our way through the forrest following Changjo and his new puppy, Ricky, north.
 
Weeeeee hahaha okay, so it's been a while but it was worth it, right.
My feelssssss! 
                                     
Ugh, the ChunJoe confession!
                                                                            Finally we can liveeeeee!
Even ChangRick had a moment
So, what exactly is going through CAP's head????
Tell me what you think!!! Comment, Upvote, and Subscribe please. I love you guys and hope you enjoyed this. I hope the next update comes soon my Dots.