The Hunted 15

The Hunted

 

 

skPLuAC.jpg

We were quick to leave our hideout ... well as quick as we could be. CAP slowed us down a bit but none of us saw any reason to complain. He was handling himself well, considering his injuries that Ricky had to occasionally check on. We were all a little stressed it seems, Changjo especially. He wouldn't stop staring at, the suddenly armed, Ricky and was even more uneasy with the boy's proximity.

After a while Changjo's focus turned to Niel, who was silently trudging with CAP glued to his side. We could all tell Niel was wearing himself out. CAP wasn't small, he was fairly built compared to Niel's lithe frame, and as much as I wanted to offer help, I knew I wouldn't be able to handle his weight. L Joe could relieve him but he was too busy making sure we were, thoroughly, covered, on all sides. A few more minutes of Changjo's tentative stare passed before he stopped abruptly, causing us all to pause as well. We all send him questioning glances that went unanswered, until he basically stalked toward the struggling Niel. He froze for a long second in front of Niel, who took the time to readjust CAP's weight on his shoulder.

 

"How about I take him for a while?" Changjo asked, with an extended arm.

 

"I've got it, so thanks but no thanks." Is Niel's stubborn reply. The brunette was obviously still at odds with Changjo.

 

"Look," Changjo sighs, readying himself for some sort of battle. "I'm sorry about the other day. I, honestly, just wanted to protect my friends. I wanted to help. You should get that.” He hums expectantly. “I hardly knew you, or CAP, and if you were put in the same position, would you have hesitated to protect him?" Niel looked up skeptically, before leaving the question unanswered to pass a questioning glace past Changjo, towards us. He locked eyes with L Joe, who smiled and nodded in encouragement.

 

"O-okay. If anything happens to him, your is grass. Understand?" CAP is the first willing to chuckle, followed by Changjo at both his choice of words and his deadly serious expression.

 

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Is Changjo's even reply, with his signature smirk in place as he shifts CAP onto himself.

 

We started to move again and Niel managed to stick close to Changjo as we continued north. It took a few minutes before he seemed comfortable with CAP no longer attached to his hip, but after a few more hours Niel took over again and the relief to have the other back at his side certainly showed but still he was sure to promise a switch with Changjo every few hours.

 

So, now we'd been trekking through woods and on winding roads for several hours without another conversation. All of us had our own concerns and focused on nothing else, getting lucky that no reservation, or undead, had found us at such a low point. Our unity was at stake and it made L Joe and I, stick closer together.

 

Ricky hadn't acted any different since gaining his weapon but knowing now exactly what the oddly close proximity to Changjo was linked to made me want to smile. He had grown overly attached to someone he could never have. His best bet now was to prove his loyalty and sanity to Changjo, in order to be seen as an ally. Ricky's hope is in becoming the heroic boy's friend. Anything more would hurt him but Changjo was hesitant to even speak to him, even if he did appear protective it was most likely, strictly for our group's sake.

 

L Joe used to watch over Ricky, very carefully but when he betrayed us, the blonde's focus reverted back to me and Ricky was left without a leg to stand on, so Changjo took the position. Which was nice of him but probably nothing more, considering the still scowling red head.

 

When Ricky clumsily stumbled over a protruding tree limb and held tightly to his, steady, safety net, the taller boy's eyes began to blaze in hatred, that thankfully Ricky didn't see, but he sure felt when Changjo shoved him away, like he was on fire.

 

"What's going on? You haven't stopped trying to touch me since the reservation. What the hell are you trying to pull?" The red head hissed, making Ricky gape in surprise.

 

"I-" He cuts himself off when his throat catches and I shift from behind L Joe to help the nervous boy to his feet.

 

"Do you plan on killing me? Us?” The taller scolds again and I lower my head, leaving Ricky to defend himself in whatever he sees fit, and step back to the waiting, L Joe.

"No!" Apparently Ricky is horrified at the accusation and gets a reproachful look from the angry boy, for raising his voice.

 

"Then what is it? What are you planning? I don't like this Ricky. Whatever it is. It involves me, so ing say it." Changjo insist, leaving us all in shock at his, rarely, lost temper. Changjo was always so calm. He held everything inside and when necessary, he'd share his
reasoning through emotion but I've never seen so...angry.

 

"You... don't want to know." Ricky pouts, biting his lip, most likely looking too anxious and childlike for Changjo's taste.

 

"I'm sure I've heard worse." Changjo's eyes narrow in preparation and Ricky lowers his head in defeat.

 

"I have strange feelings for you Changjo." Is Ricky's, obtuse, explanation but still I cringe and L Joe physically tenses, hissing in realization. "You're ... more handsome than I ever realized. Smarter than I ever hoped for. More complex than I ever considered. It all seems so obvious now ... how perfect you are and how much I like you.” Changjo is, apparently, completely appalled by this and it shows very clearly in his, twisted, expression. "Please don't hate me. I really admire you and don't expect anything in return. I just hope you realize that I'm not interested in hurting you.” Ricky's breath is shaky and his eyes teary. "I'd never hurt you." Changjo looks collected and ready to speak by now, but Ricky holds it off a moment longer. "You're strait ... obviously and have no reason to except my feelings, let alone return them, so-"

 

"I'm not interested." Changjo cuts of Ricky's plea. "You don't seem to remember what exactly I saw you do. The people you've maimed and the lives you've taken. The mental ery you've been through gives me no reason to even believe you feel the way you think you do. So, no. I don't except you're feelings. I don't want to be you're friend. I am hardly willing to be your acquaintance. Do you understand me, Yoo Changhyun?” The rejection was thorough and heartless. I could practically see the cracks breaking into Ricky's, now, glass heart. I only take half a second to step in, with glossy eyes that threaten to tear in sympathy for the boy. He holds up a hand before I reach him and gathers his rampant feelings, strained heart, and cracking voice.

 

"Can we forget I confessed this now? Now you know why.” He's too steady with his request and my fear is that he'll revert back to his reservation induced, emotional coma, so I shove his refusing hand aside and wrap him in my arms, petting his head reassuringly and hushing the nonexistent sobs.

 

"Ricky, it'll be okay. I know how you feel." I whisper and smile lightly when I feel him trembling in my arms. He's still here. He still feels. He nods into my shoulder once and a mumbled, 'I know' is his quiet thank you.

 

L Joe hasn't spoken since then ... it's only been about an hour but it's odd. He must be having the same deja vu I'm having, of my confession, and it's somehow silenced him. CAP and Niel seem completely baffled by the sudden confession and harsh reply but they hadn't seen Changjo and Ricky like we had. Changjo appeared completely fine. Much more comfortable with the distance, finally, put between himself and Ricky and leading without an off step.

 

We ended up in a town of some kind. It was small and Changjo apparently hoped for safety and another night for us, in beds. We shuffled into the dark house in silence and Changjo turns to us expectantly.

 

"We can split up. It'll get everyone to bed faster. In groups of two, please. Have your guns ready. We can't always get lucky, boys. One group can check a miles worth of perimeter in front of the house and the same in the back. The longer we can stay here the better." Changjo's authoritative voice is back, full force, and I immediately grab Ricky's hand, and ease him towards, a very surprised, L Joe and I proceed to grab Changjo's hand and pull him next to me, making my chosen pairings evident. L Joe seems less than thrilled but still he lets me go, seeing as Changjo was most likely unwilling to except Ricky. Changjo went on to give direction as if I hadn't taken a step.

 

"CAP and Niel, you guys should take the house. Chunji and I will take the back end of the perimeter and that leaves the front end to Ricky and L Joe.” Everyone nods and L Joe sent me one last careful glance before heading in the opposite direction with Ricky.

 

Changjo and I walked in silence for a few minutes. I knew he understood I wanted to talk to him and was waiting patiently for me to start. Meanwhile I was trying to gather my thoughts, since there was so much I wanted to say.

 

"Why were you so harsh to Ricky?" I spout, finally finding my voice. He paused for a long second and looked me in the eyes as if questioning if I'm serious.

 

"Are you really asking that? You know what he's done, and that these feelings he thinks he has aren't real." He replies, practically rolling his eyes at how obvious the answer was.

 

"You're a hypocrite." My voice is completely calm but I see in his expression that my words were awakening.

 

"Me? A hypocrite? Please explain." He sounds amused and friendly considering I'm accusing him of such things but he apparently sees Ricky's feelings as a joke.

 

"You said Ricky could be saved, did you not? Yet instead of giving him the chance, you insist he deserves, you treat him like a mental patient. How is he supposed to heal, Changjo?” I insist, pleadingly.

 

“I can’t just forget about what he’s done and now his premature attachment to me. Mental patients may deserve a chance but that doesn't make them any less dangerous. What do you expect me to do? These feelings he has aren’t real so I have no reason to acknowledge them.” He counters expertly but is slowly starting to piss me off. He shows no pity for the boy at all. I see too much of myself in Ricky to not care anymore.

 

"What gives you the right to say if his feelings are real or not? You didn't even take the time to understand why he feel the way he does." I growl, surprising Changjo with my intensity.

 

"But-" He starts but I don't let him finish.

 

"But nothing” I snap. “You act as if you've only seen him lead people to their death. You know his past and his struggle yet you act as if he can’t feel. Let’s not forget he actually almost got me killed. I was two seconds from being slowly butchered, so I have even more of a reason to be cautious than you. If you hadn’t been there for him trying to get through to him like all the other times we would have been dead.” I pause to give Changjo a chance to argue but he says nothing so I continue. "I'm giving him a chance. L Joe's giving him a chance. I don't understand why you can't. You stuck with him and kept trying to save people, to save him. You finally manage to get through that shell he's been forced to build and even went back to save him, claiming he can be 'saved' mentally and within a matter of minutes you almost crush any progress he's made. Does that not make you a hypocrite?” I finished in exasperation.

 

I expect him to argue but nothing leaves his mouth, so we walk on. After a short while of silence I thought I might have offended him. No one likes to be told about themselves, not even me, but as we began our perimeter check again he looked more confused, than angry. I'd only hopped to give him some reason to reconsider his choice of rejecting words. I thought a simple, 'I don't feel that way', would have sufficed and it appears my hypocrite claim, got to him.

 

Our check was done and we headed back to the house. Niel and CAP were nowhere in sight, and we were about to check the house until we heard noise coming from the garage. We took out our guns without hesitation and opened the garage door, slowly. Changjo and I peaked in at the same time. I was relieved to see CAP and Niel rummaging through boxes.

 

"Have L Joe and Ricky made it back yet?" I mumble once we drew their attention.

 

"Nope, they shouldn't be too far, just go wait for them; we're almost done in here." Niel replied leaning over into a box that was almost as tall as he was. We closed the door and headed to the run down living room. It was in decent shape and no blood, which was always a bonus.

 

"Chunji, about what you said-" His sentence was halted when we hear shuffling above us. I looked up at the ceiling and saw it was, evidently, worn out with water spots and cracks but not enough to creak like it did. Something was, most likely, up there.

 

"This is a single story house, what the hell could be up there?" Changjo mumbles, staring at the ceiling as well.

 

"They must have an attic. We should check it out, maybe it’s just raccoons?" I offer with a shrug toward Changjo for conformation and he nodded, giving the go ahead to look for the attic entrance.

 

Since the house wasn't very large so we found the entrance quickly and pulled down the creaking ladder, that immediately had me nervous. I followed close behind Changjo, who insisted on going first, my gun safely cradled in my hands. The attic was dark and had this foul sour smell.

 

Before we walked any further into the dark abyss, that was the attic, Changjo handed me a flashlight, which was a small comfort. He then turned his on and I soon followed suit, lighting up the average sized space. It was a little cluttered but still plenty of room for something to be up here and we were determined to find what made that noise.

 

"Stay close." He whispered. I nodded at his words and moved a little closer to him, keeping my eyes peeled for any movement.

 

We moved deeper into the attic, finding little more than nothing. I suddenly saw something shift in the corner. It was subtle, almost to the point I thought I’d imagined it, until the floor creaked loudly and a box shifted. I shined my light in the direction of the movement as Changjo brought his gun up aiming in the same direction. I shifted my light around a little more until it finally landed on a girl swaying back and forth her arm barely intact and the flesh practically falling off her bones. Dead.

 

Changjo instinctively stepped in front of me as he aimed for the girl. Just as Changjo fired, the girl swayed to her left, no more that before and veered back as the bullet pierced her shoulder. Before I had time to blink she was barreling toward us in a blur of dingy blonde hair. Changjo’s gun decided to stick while we were seconds away from becoming dinner. She was inches away from us and on impulse I dove to the side and brought Changjo with me trying to put some distance between us and the tainted girl, buying time for the faulty bullets. But that wasn’t enough. Before we hit the floor I felt jagged teeth sink into my shoulder. I loose a scream as we hit the faulty wooden panels and it caves beneath us. My body slammed into the floor below followed by falling debris from the ceiling, but I felt nothing. All I could focus on was the infected mouth still attached to my shoulder.

 

" CHUNJI!" I jerk my head in the direction of his voice, trying to reach for him and pull away for the living corps gnawing relentlessly on me as Changjo tries to dig himself of the wreckage.

 

I let out another growl of pain as the she bit deeper attempting to rip my skin away from its place and before I could make another attempt at escape a loud pop went off in my ear and she released me. I turn with heaving breaths to see my savior. Ricky? He’s only a few feet from us still in alert position gun locked and loaded. My eyes fall to the, finally, lifeless corpse but L Joe running up breathless and horrified catches my attention as his eyes land on me. Pain rips through my shoulder as the adrenaline fades and I reach up with a hiss covering the grizzly wound. In an instant Changjo has freed himself from the debris and L Joe and Ricky are by my side with CAP and Niel appearing from the kitchen.

 

"Chunji. Oh God no.” Are L Joe's shaken, whispered words, before he pulls me into his arms. All eyes are on me, as recognition passes through everyone's eyes and I continue to whimper into L Joe's shoulder, at my, suddenly, doomed state.

 

"Let's get the out of here. It isn't safe. We have to get somewhere else, fast.” Is L Joe's first reaction, as he pulls me back to gets a good look at the gory bite, soaking my shirt in my own blood.

I immediately cover it, biting my lip in shame and I in an unsteady breath, and shakily rise to my feet headed for the door before anyone else. Changjo takes the lead, not a second later but no words escape him as he takes position. Ricky is still in fighting position, as if ready to protect me at any second, while Niel and CAP limp behind us. They were once again quiet, as if still in their own little world but I assume they were simply unsure of what to say.

 

L Joe wouldn't let me go, despite my objection. He is unsteady and his body is rigid. His jaw set in a grim line, making me reach out to relax him but he only in a quick breath and offers me a sad, sorry smile. Perhaps I hadn't taken the time to truly assess my situation. I had been bitten. I was going to become a monster. I was going to want to kill my friends, and the love of my life, in a few, too short, hours. Before dawn I would be dead.

 

At my last thought, my wound stings, as I dig my nails into it, absently. I swallow too dryly and chewing on my lip when the pain is dismissible compared to my breaking heart.

 

"I'm so sorry. Please, forgive me." I whimper in remorse but L Joe silences me with a hug and just as soon throws me onto his back, unwilling to let me stop walking, like I had wanted to.

 

Not half an hour later, we break in the door to another house and I'm relieved for the half second that I forget my fatal position. Changjo goes off to check the house, while L Joe sets me down and Ricky pulls out what first aid we have but I hold up my hand rejecting it.

 

"I'm not wounded, Ricky. I'm dying.” L Joe my cheeks with his thumbs and turns to Ricky with a nod, who tries to address my wounded collar bone again.

 

"No, don't waste it." L Joe props me up against a wall and stands over me about to say something but Niel interrupts and basically snatches the first aid kit from a timid Ricky.

 

"Niel wh-"

 

"Ah, ah. I so don't care. I'm going to patch up your shoulder, whether you like it or not. You no longer have a say in the matter." He scolded with a small smile. I smiled lightly in return and watched as L Joe disappears into a nearby bedroom with Ricky hot on his tail.

 

"I'm sorry but it's hopeless." I mumble but Niel only shakes his head.

 

tHZDTo3.jpg

 

"Hopeless or not I won't just sit back and do nothing." I began to silently clean his wounds. He hisses every now and then as I clean out his wound and as I'm almost finish I hear low grunts and what sounds like banging from the room L Joe had entered. I pause and glance back at the bedroom behind us.

 

"Poor L Joe." I purse my lips as I begin cleaning the bite again. Chunji whimpers as he stares longingly at the door. These boys were so drawn to each other. The emotional pain must be deafening for the both of them. I finished up and straighten his hair that was beginning to stick to his face from sweat. What a horrendous night this has become.

 

Meanwhile Changjo had finished checking things out and quietly sat in the corner burying his head in his knees. I stepped back, giving Chunji a final once over when I felt CAP's hand on my shoulder puling me to him offering the contact I had been anxious for. Chunji looked up with a sad smile.

 

"You guys are still going to stay with them, right?" He asks in between deep labored breaths.

 

"I want to stay." CAP speaks first and looks at me for my answer.

 

"Of course" was all I could manage. It was as if he was making dying request and that's most likely the case. His last pleas for unity and love between his surviving companions, perhaps he was lucky to be first. To not watch this horrible disheartening scene happen to anyone else he cares for.

 

Chunji is too selfless to care about himself, even in something like this. He was probably just hoping he'd get proper goodbyes but what about L Joe? How does one say goodbye? My goodbye to CAP was far from fulfilling and I don't see his goodbye with L Joe to be any more satisfying.

 

It was becoming increasingly hard to watch Chunji groan out in pain. They are the first people we have ever bothered to stay with. I see now why L Joe thinks of them as family but is family worth all of this pain? Yes, it has to be.

 

“Ch-Changjo” Chunji’s broken words bring me out of my thoughts. I look to Changjo who hadn’t moved and inch. “Changjo” he called out again a little louder but still no response.

 

“Changjo, talk to me...please.” He says begging for the boys attention, who lifts his head and stares at him, with shocking tears staining his face. I grips CAP’s hand in surprise while Chunji lets out a small gasp. I’ve never seen so much emotion on his face before. He’s always in control of his emotions, so he must be dealing with major turmoil to cause such a reaction.

 

"I should have-" He whines in apology but Chunji shakes his head too roughly, cutting off any further self-pity.

 

"This isn't your fault, there is no way you can blame this on yourself. Please don't." He assured but it doesn't seem to comfort him. From the looks on his face no matter what Chunji say he thinks he’s the one that should have died. Self-blame was etched deep within his features.

 

"You saved me. How am I not to blame? L Joe trusted you in my care. He would have never let this happen." He growl obviously disgusted with himself, wiping the stray tears from his cheek.

 

"It was my choice. I care about you and I didn't want either of us to get hurt. I would have done the exact same for L Joe and would be begging him to forgive me for being so reckless, like I am you." We all watched in silence as Changjo tries to swallow his words, but after a few minutes he got up off the floor and walked outside.

Chunji sighed and shifted again against the wall. I couldn’t shake the look Changjo had in his eyes, and it reminded me of something he’d said when we first met.

“Did Changjo ever get someone killed?” I asked quietly wanting to know what was behind the pain I saw in his eyes.

“No. He had a girlfriend and she was his life, but they got separated during the outbreak.” He paused and inhaled a deep shuttering breath. “When he managed to find her again she had been bitten and ended up having to killing her. He’s just trying to cope and I understand that but I don’t want him blaming himself for my death.” He finished and my heart went out to him. His behavior makes since now.

Moments later Ricky abruptly came out of the neighboring bedroom sadness dripping off his features. He closed the door, and huddled next to Chunji on the floor.

“Is he okay?” Ricky shook his head lightly.

“Far from it, that room is in shambles. I-I tried to stop him but I think he needed to take his frustration out on something.” He replied honestly.

Chunji’s face saddened as the room fell silent defeat seeping through my body. After a few minutes of painful silence, Chunji stands to his feet his legs quaking beneath him. We all tried to help him but he held his hand up in defiance forbidding s to touch him. We begrudgingly agreed and followed him as he made his way out side.

 

k2Gwj2O.jpg

 

I hear Chunji discussing my distraught behavior to the oblivious Niel and CAP through the open windows. Niel seemed curious about my girlfriend but it only brought back memories that I never wanted to relive. Chunji was my second chance and I lost him too. Ricky, it seems, left L Joe to himself for a moment and joined the others. Chunji had painted an ugly picture for me today but he was perfectly honest with what I had said I expected of Ricky and what I honestly did expect. He won't see it but I'll change. I'll forgive Ricky for his mistakes...at least I'll try. I won’t disappoint him.

 

"Is he okay?" Was Chunji's muffled question and again, more raged breathing.

 

"Far from it. That room is in shambles. I tried to stop him but I think he needed to take his frustration out on something." Ricky replied softly, speaking unmistakably about the shattered L Joe. Chunji is quiet at the point...everybody's quiet. They're been defeated by circumstance.

 

After a few more minutes of painful silence, I hear the door open and see Chunji making his way outside, finding me in no better of a state but he looks hopeful, so I'm quick to listen.

 

"You'll never forgive me for this ... but it has to be you." He stares numbly at me, making me go rigid with anxiety.

 

"Chunji. You're-"

"This can't be stopped, you know that." He pleads lowering his head. I gasp in realization of what he's asking. Niel looks shocked at the request but CAP stops him from interfering with a hand on his waist and a shake of his head.

 

"Kill me, before I become them." He whisper and I go completely silent, no longer allowing my shallow breathing to sound. "I'm asking you for what your girlfriend never got the chance to ask for. I'm not gonna be Chunji in, maybe, 3 hours. So please, do not let me hurt them."

 

I'm in awe of the desperation in Chunji's eyes. I couldn't possibly kill him, could I? Kill Chunji before he becomes a monster? It's a horrendous, daring feat, that under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have allowed to cross my mind. These, however, aren't normal circumstance and my, now, closest friend, Chunji, has asked me to end his impending doom. Should I? Yes. Could I? Maybe. Will I? I don’t have a clue.

 

L Joe would be heartbroken, not to mention he'd probably want to kill me for it. The boy that was never supposed to leave his side, was. Who knew what L Joe was thinking. He's been locked in that room for the past twenty minutes, either thrashing in anger and grief or completely numb with silence and it's making Chunji on edge. I let my eyes fall and they waver when they meet Chunji's.

 

“He'll hate us all. He'll never forgive me.” Chunji lowers his head and offers no words for a long second.

 

“I'm dying. You know that don't you?” Is his next, pleading, sentence and I go rigid at his statement. He's dying. I bit back the anger that is criticizing me for wanting to agree to his plea. I suppress the grief that drowns me when I draw my gun. I swallow the desperation to stop when I see the others horrified faces, but they're all silent and I feel tears fall again, in relentless streams and grind my teeth in defeat. I've never felt so torn as when I saw L Joe sprinting out of the house and stops in front of Chunji dropping to his knees in a humiliating cry for reason.

 

"You, can't do this. You can't leave me." L Joe pleads, choking on quiet sobs. "You, can't you just can't." He insist, completely ignoring the gun in my hands.

 

"I'm sorry. This is the only way." Is all that slips from his mouth as tears began to stream down his face.

 

"Please." L Joe continues, relentlessly fighting for the boys reluctant few more hours of life. Chunji gives him one last smile before turning to me, gun still ready. L Joe being here made everything that much more difficult. My composure was slipping as my conscious criticizes me both for being spineless enough to not do it and heartless enough to think about it. Seconds later I drops to my knees alongside L Joe and knock my fists against my, now, pulsing temple.

 

"I can't, Chunji I just can't do it." I admit, totally defeated. "I can't." Chunji continues to stand and looks at us one by one and lastly locks eyes with L Joe.

 

"Stay with us, okay." L Joe mumbles, too quietly. "We'll be here for you till the end." He promises the dying boy.

 

"I'll hang on as long as I can. I just hope you won't risk your family for me when the time comes."

 

Okay!!!

          

Can I just take a moment to grieve? 

Done.

This was posted by my co author.

She edited it herself and wrote her very own bite scene, plus moreeee (; It's good right? Hahaha

                                                                                          

I hope you guys um...liked it? 

We both think you'll be kinda anrgy at us for this chapter.

 

We started with the angsty ChangRick and now T-T Chunji! 

What will become of him???

I hope you'll still find it in your heart to forgive?

I love you my Dots and I hope you liked this chapter!