The Hunted 5

The Hunted

YtSjULO.jpg
 
The rest of the night was comfortable. Another night of real relaxation was a rare pleasantly that I wasn't afraid to bask in. Ricky was close enough by my side that I couldn't help but want to curl up next to him but I wonder about Chunji.
 
He seems content, snuggled up in a blanket to himself. Maybe even already asleep but the idea that I was leaving him by himself made me keep my hands to themselves. 
 
Ricky smelled nice, it was odd considering he'd been on his own so long and was covered in dirt but still smelled clean but it's no concern. In fact it's almost nice.
 
I had been so shocked by Ricky's sudden appearance, not to mention he was in town, which was dangerous for any length of time, even with a gun. So, I was immediately worried for his well being...then he said he was lonely. He begged us not to send him back out alone.
 
My heart shattered. He was like me. He was tired of the constant battle for life. He wanted comfort and safety and who better to offer it than somebody who wants exactly that in return. 
 
I could take care of him. I could be there for him. I was never so thankful to Chanhee as the moment he said Ricky would be staying with us. I would have completely broke down knowing this poor, lonely, adorable boy was fighting death threat after death threat because we refused his plea. 
 
At this thought I wrapped my arms around the tiny dark haired boys waist. He was still awake but allowed me to hold him, because we were the same.
 
I was strait, sure, but the idea of never feeling loved again, never touching another human in an intimate way struck something in me. Something horrible because it made me attack Chunji, it made him run away. 
 
When he told me he liked me, my libido went on rampage. A year of seeing nothing but deformed corpses and twisted humans made me too eager. He seemed to react well to my touches and that was only encouragement. The sitting in my lap, the hugs, the looks, and then he let me kiss him. 
 
It was exactly what I needed. It was perfect and comforting. It reminded me the whole world wasn't lost but then I pushed my boundaries. I forgot my humanity like everybody else and wanted to give into carnal pleasure. The fact Chunji was able push me away proves him a better man than I, he went through the same loneliness I had. He felt the want I felt but controlled his lust somehow. 
 
If I could, I would've taken that mistake back the moment I made it. I would have acted like I was falling desperately in love with him until I actually did, then everything would have fallen into place but instead he ran away from me and into those God forsaken woods. He didn't even grab the hatchet I offered him. 
 
I was frozen. Completely dazed between the feeling of Chunji pressed against me, Chunji shoving me away, and Chunji running off by himself. 
 
I had no clue if he'd come back. If he'd ever forgive me but I wasn't going to let my promise, to protect him, go so quickly. So, I chased after him. I was desperate and unsure if I should run or listen or just wait. I was so terrified for his safety. These woods weren't, in any way, immune to those creatures and he ran in like live bait.
 
I spent a few seconds listening carefully for any footsteps, twigs, anything. Hoping he hid instead of doing something far more dangerous. It wasn't long, but it felt like eternity, before I heard him screaming my name.
 
I felt my heart stop and my stomach dropped. It wasn't a pained cry but just as alarming. I ran in the direction I had hoped I heard him from, running as hard as I could, knowing very well I wasn't the only thing he attracted with that shriek. 
 
Not more than a minute later another cry coming from my right and I curse to myself. Taking off in the other direction and I was near too late. 
 
My blood ran cold when I saw the red head desperately running toward me with one of those insane sprinting things behind him. It kept touching him. Once. Twice. Dead. It took me too long to lift my gun if you ask me but I saved him in time and was so entirely relieved for all of 5 seconds, until we had to run again.
 
I made a promise to myself after that, to ban anything physical between us. When Chunji kissed me in thanks, it only hurt more because he was my responsibility, not my perk. 
 
Then Ricky showed up in that house a few nights later and as I said...I was taken by him. I wanted so badly to trust him and I could because I felt the exact same way. Everything fell into place and Ricky played along, letting my hold his hand when we followed behind Chunji and I would offer looks to the shy boy, who wouldn't respond but I hoped he understood.
 
I still refused to move as fast as I had with Chunji, simply because I learn from my mistakes. Then when Chunji started attacking him I got so upset. I had more than one person to protect now and they were fighting each other. 
 
Still, I felt bad for getting upset with Chunji but if I didn't defend Ricky, nobody would. We had a connection though and knowing that I wasn't alone in missing my family and that Ricky wanted nothing more than to see his was my holy grail. I had to help him, no matter what we went through to get there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Waking up, I noticed Chunji was already awake. He wasn't really moving, or doing anything but his eyes were clearly on me and I realized I was still holding Ricky. Chunji had slept alone last night unfortunately, like some sort of reject. 
 
I stared back at him, retracting my grip on Ricky's waist and watched Chunji turn on his side to face away from me. Chunji still liked me, I suppose, and I could see that. 
 
The looks he gave me weren't as secret as he thought and with him being my friend now, I couldn't tug at his heartstrings so easily. It was dangerous. The first time I had was disasterous and I would never risk Chunji's life again.
 
In the watch tower...I made a mistake. Chunji was shoving an oportunity in my face and for a few moments I pushed the thoughts, of it all being about me saving his life, aside. He had just technically saved mine after all but once we pulled apart I felt like a complete . Chunji was possibly offering himself as compinsation after his near death experience and he was thankful.
 
I beat myself up over that, forming a new determination to keep any of those thoughts about Chunji at bay. I couldn't slip again because it could mean his death. I didn't have those feelings for him and because I behaved like I did, Chunji's past came to bite him.
 
I did however, admire Chunji. Greatly, and I wished I could handle myself as dignified as he seems too. Even now, controlling his emotions so completely. Ricky is a bit different. I feel sorry for him, I want to help him. I really do but that's all.
 
I just don't like boys. I have some pent up ual frustration, yes but Chunji couldn't even be my scapegoat anymore because I cared too much about his feelings. 
 
Ricky got up not long after that, offering me a pleasant, tired smile that distracted me from my thoughts.
 
"Morning." He chirps and suddenly hugs me, like we're old friends. I smile to myself, again, content in his soft embrace.
 
"Morning." He smiles up at me and quickly turns to Chunji, who he just as quickly hugs.
 
"Hi Chunji!" Chunji seems uncomfortable with the hug, like he expects the kid to pull a knife. I just roll my eyes and let them carry on with their greetings.
 
"Are we heading to the reservation today?" Chunji mumbles, making Ricky's eyes widen in surprise. I expected him to look more excited. Hell, I was excited for him.
 
"We're leaving Busan so soon." He whines and I chuckle in relief at his behavior.
 
"I just figure the sooner the better." Chunji answers and I nod in agreement, offering the red head a grin but he lowers his head immediately, making me frown.
 
"Oh, I see. I liked staying in Busan. I felt like I was home." Ricky near whimpers but Chunji's expression is unaffected as he packs his blanket.
 
"We don't have a home Ricky. We're trying to find one and you're going to be a part of our family now. Home is where the heart is, right?" He smiles at the boy, for I believe the first time. 
 
He looks like a mother, so loving all of the sudden and my heart softens when he ruffles Ricky's hair. Ricky slaps a smile on his face but he's obviously still unpleased with leaving. I shrug it off and focus on the suddenly cheery Chunji. He smiles softly at me and stands, ready to leave. I narrow my eyes in confusion but follow suit, grabbing Ricky's hand to help him up.
 
"Are you taking the lead Ricky?" Ricky turns at the sound of his name and nods at nothing, stepping in front to guide Chunji and I. I look to Chunji and my fingers reach to tangle with his but I stop myself and keep my focus on our surroundings but I soon decide to make quiet conversation with Chunji while I have a moment alone with him.
 
"When we get there, what's the plan?" I whisper, gaining his attention and he sighs.
 
"Depends what you were thinking." He mumbles back, fiddling with his fingers.
 
"We should save his parents." I say into his ear and I feel him go stiff. He freezes and stays in place for a few moments, making me pause with him, as not to cause a scene for the oblivious Ricky.
 
"You aren't serious?" He gasp quietly and I let my head in question.
 
"What's wrong?" He looks frantic and shakes his head, offering me a pleading stare. The same one he gave me when he thought I was going to kill him.
 
"I've seen those horrible places, L Joe. His parents...if they're still alive they're not safe and we'll be no better off if we try to help them." He rants, still too quiet for anybody besides me to hear.
 
"But they-" He looks ready to cry, so I stop.
 
"Promise me you won't make me step foot in that place." He begs, his lip quivering and I reach to his cheek but pull back, thinking it not wise. Instead he reaches out and grabs my hands in his. "You have to keep us safe." He mumbles and I blink at a loss for words.
 
"Of course I will." I whisper back, squeezing his hands with mine. Then he pulls back, completely removing himself from my line of sight. I want to roll my eyes at his behavior but ignore it and continue behind Ricky. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The traveling was uneventful but we unfortunately ended up having to trek trough woods again but only till sundown, when we settled at a small house off in the country. It was run down and not great shelter but it's most likely all we'd find before dark so we ignore it and stay put. 
 
"How much further?" Chunji spouts, making Ricky and me turn to him.
 
"Maybe...another day or two...since we're on foot." Ricky answers carefully. Chunji nods and looks to me, offering the same pleading look from earlier.
 
Was he so worried about our safety?
 
Was it that scary?
 
Did I honestly have no chance to save Ricky's family?
 
It's heartbreaking. How could I expect Ricky to say goodbye to his parents. To see them and say goodbye forever, sentencing them to death. It's horrible, was Chunji so heartless?
 
Of course not. He wouldn't let us save them because he cared about us, not about himself. I bit my lip, uncomfortable at the thought of having to drag Ricky away from his family. It would be hard. It would be sad but it's for the best, then we can move on and start a life.
 
I was fiddling with the blankets, while Chunji put out food that Ricky was munching on already. They were already looking closer. Chunji fed Ricky a bit and Ricky offered a shy smile when Chunji grinned at him, teasing the boy for his sloppy eating. I was glad.
 
Chunji had appeared jealous, if not distrusting at first and I was overjoyed that he seemed to except the boy's presence, because they were my family now. 
 
I mostly didn't eat, feeling oddly uneasy amongst smiles and chit chat. I couldn't convince myself to listen to the small talk, paying more attention to keeping a close eye on every corner of the worn down house. It was a bit ominous with no real light source and I kept letting my eyes flash across the room, getting Chunji and Ricky's attention.
 
"Something wrong?" Chunji asks and I shake my head dismissively but the feeling isn't lost.
 
Okay, another update cause I need to get through some more character developement.
                
I still hope you liked it! I don't have much to say, except I hope you don't hate L Joe anymore.
                      
He's really not that bad! He's lonely and confused!!
I should know I'm the author...
                                  Hahah 
So, there was mild RickJoe this chapter.
It might pick up a bit but I'm not sure yet.
Notice, RickJoe isn't a tag! Nor will it become a tag because it'll go away. 
Everything I write leads to ChunJoe
Haha.
So, you guys voted!
                     
I'm not sure how many were my subbies but Dots won by 15 votes!
I had a feeling~
I hope you guys liked my update and sorry about lying that the story would pick up this chapter.
                       Next chapter, I promise! 
So comment? Subscribe? Upvote, please?
I love you guys and I know I talk too much but I'm getting less and less comments every chapter.
                                       
Do you not like it? Tell me what's up, I can take it. I love you my beautiful Dots!
     I'll see you soon!