The Hunted 13

The Hunted

YtSjULO.jpg

 

I'm desperately hoping that this boy, CAP, isn't a walking death trap. Niel sounds promising, the way he handled Changjo was impressive at the least and I couldn't see sending him away if his friend died.

 

He was barely handling himself and it kept us all on edge. A few more hours and we'd all have to either watch a happy reunion or a heartbreaking separation and by CAP's behavior, he seemed to be prepared for the worst.


 

I was beyond nervous. I didn't like the idea of us being so close to the possible occurrence and Chunji trying to be helpful and dress the boys burned leg was giving me a near heart attack.


 

Changjo was finally keeping his mouth shut. It seems putting Niel in such an, unfortunately, familiar position made him uncomfortable. None of us were entirely comfortable with killing CAP, whether before or after he's turned, so for now we're all quiet. Watching CAP's breathing go shallow as he sinks into a drug induced unconsciousness was our new hobby as Niel nibbled at his fingernails, unwilling to step away from his, possibly infected, friend.

 

Ricky had been too quiet. I was concerned both for him, and of him. Was he frightened? Was he having some sort of mental breakdown and was getting ready to snap? He's basically unreadable. Aside from his plea with Changjo an hour or two ago, about keeping our new companions, he hadn't said a word. Nobody payed him much attention but we became more and more aware of his mental state when his breathing increased and he was curling in on himself, as if in pain, it was somehow heart wrenching.

 

Ricky stands suddenly, still shaky and doesn't say a word as he sprints out of the motel room. We all stare after him, still in shock and unsure what was going on but Chunji and I seemed the only people, honestly concerned. I offer a troubled stare in Chunji's direction and he nods silently, making me chase after the boy, while the others stay behind.

 

Ricky was already halfway down the flight of stares and didn't appear ready to stop. I have no clue what he was running from but he was terrified. I was never very fast but apparently neither was Ricky because I caught up to him after a short while, tugging at his wrist to pull him to a sudden stop. He jerks away from my hold for only a second, then lets me pull him into my arms, tears I hadn't known were there are already staining my shirt, so I focus on consoling the shaking boy. He shifts in my hold, so I tighten my arms, hoping to make my concern for him clear. I wasn't angry at him anymore. I was concerned and brokenhearted. I pet his hair reassuringly and hear a whimper escape him.

 

“Please, don't touch me.” The weak boy mumbles and I go still, stepping back fractionally to keep a hold on his shoulders.

 

“Ricky-” I stop, making his puffy eyes meet mine and I pause. “Let's take a walk.” I hum and the smaller boy nods slowly. After a long minute Ricky's breathing is steady and his crying has stopped, so he lets me grab a hold of his hand.

 

“I'm sorry.” He whispers and I can't help but chuckle.

 

“For?” I insist and he bites his lip.

 

“Everything.” He dumbly explains. “We should go back.” He rushes and I tighten my hold on his fingers.

 

“We can have a minute alone, Ricky.” He is a bit wary at my suggestion but doesn't disagree. 
“I've forgiven you by the way.” I reassure and he fights a smile but makes no sound. “What's going on Ricky? Will you tell me why you ran?” I beg the question that had been fighting my tongue.

 

“I was going to come back.” He confesses quietly, making me relax slightly. “CAP is...in a lot of pain.” He hums and I nod as if answering a question. “Those screams. Those burns. I've felt it, that sort of pain. I've seen that sort of torture and I hated reliving it, despite myself.” I'm quiet for a long minute, gripping his fingers and remembering his reveal a short while back, making my hand tingle. “They're not good memories and I just needed to be away from it.” I ignore the fact CAP was falling asleep by the time Ricky ran because I'm sure the boy was tormenting himself with past thoughts for hours, as we all watched the half awake boy.

 

“Ricky-” Again I stop, unsure of what I can offer as comfort but I know what he needs to hear. My heart is shattering at the broken Ricky, that constantly fights a mental battle. “We won't let that happen again.” I promise, making the boy smile to himself.

 

We'd been wandering for a long while in silence and eventually stumbling into a tiny suburb, that was evidently completely uninhabited. A small store is one of the only buildings in sight and I look to Ricky, shrugging my shoulders in suggestion of collecting what we can.

 

Turns out the store was some sort of resale that had a pleasant amount of ammo, making Ricky and I grin at each other as we collect guns and bullets without a second thought. We continued our tour of the short street and just on the outskirts our luck increased ten fold.

 

I sit open mouthed, staring as Ricky basically skips toward the ambulance that appears, uncannily untouched. Stepping closer, I'm relieved to find supplies I've never been so lucky as to come across. Ricky seems to know a thing or two about what exactly we'll need to help CAP but we still collect all that we can since the time is right and Ricky is suddenly hopelessly excited to return to the motel.

 

skPLuAC.jpg

 

It'd been almost an hour that they've been gone and I was getting nervous. We only had maybe another two till we'd know exactly what CAP was in store for. I can't even imagine what is going through his head. The idea of turning into a monster and having nothing to do about it. Niel was hovering constantly, waiting for the boy to wake up, I suppose, while Changjo and I keep to ourselves, watching the two and how Niel interacts with the unconscious boy.

 

“Thank you.” Niel voices, making me offer a polite smile at his sudden gratitude. “For helping us.” He explains and I nod in understanding. “The blond-” He sounds like he has a question, so I offer an explanation for L Joe's behavior.

 

“He's got a big heart. He wouldn't leave either of you there. He's compassionate and I can promise you, that if CAP can be saved, L Joe will do whatever he can to rescue him.” I smile, getting a nod of agreement from Changjo, who otherwise stays silent.

 

“I see. Well, I'm grateful for the time being.” His voice is emotionless and I want to laugh at his attitude but he quickly changes pace.

 

“Why have they been gone so long?” Niel mumbles, seemingly to himself but I let my eyes flash to his for a moment before turning to Changjo, my concern becoming evident.

 

“Do you think they're okay?” I whimper and Changjo lets half of a reassuring smile cover his face.

 

“L Joe can handle himself.” Is his answer but it does little to comfort me.

 

“L Joe? L Joe can handle himself? What about the little one?” Niel sounds amused at our conversation but I just bite my lip, suddenly anxious.

 

“Ricky.” I whisper but that's all I can manage.

 

“Something is wrong with that boy?” Is Niel's stiff question but neither of us make a sound in answer.

 

"Well, um Ricky is from, from a reservation" I stutter softly and watch as Niel's eyes widen in horror.

 

"A reservation, huh? That explains a lot." He shakes his head in reply.

 

"You're familiar with them, I take it?" I question in surprise, hoping for an immediate answer.

 

"We've had a few encounters with them in the past, mainly to study them, and from what we saw your friend seems pretty sane." I nod in agreement and we fell silent again, until I force myself to make conversation with the boy.

 

"Are you two really just friends?" I mumble, making Changjo's head shoot up but I just hope that I don't offend him with repeated questions. To my surprise he chuckles.

 

"Truthfully. We're only best friends, nothing more, like CAP said earlier. We met at an intelligence agency after CAP left the military. I was lucky enough to be partners with him on the, supposed, last day of my life. I was fired at multiply times and probably two shots away from instant death. He never gave up and did what he could until help arrived. CAP and I didn't know each other very well at the time but he saved me without second thought and after the apocalypse it just made sense. That's why I'm not giving up, not until there is no hope left." His word rang in my ears as I hummed in agreement. I stare at the door for a long second and finally hang my head in a silent prayer and the door is pushed open making me jump to my feet, seeing L Joe walk into the room with a smile. I race to him and wrap my arms around him in relief of the stress he hadn't known I was suffering from.

 

“Miss me?” He hums teasingly but I keep quiet, holding him longer than necessary.

 

“You were gone too long. I was worried.” I confess, making a sorry smile cover his face and he ruffles my hair in dis-concern.

 

“Sorry. We got caught up finding goodies.” He chuckles, pulling weapons from his belt and tossing them to Changjo. “I hope you two can shoot.” He cuts, passing two more guns to Niel and grins. Ricky shuffles in after that with a bright smile in place, immediately stepping toward Niel.

 

The boy stands in question, perhaps a tiny bit anxious but Ricky begins unpacking cold compresses and medicines we'd never managed to find.

 

“Ricky knows how to treat burns.” L Joe whispers, wrapping his arms over my shoulders, letting them rest around my neck.

 

“Of course he does.” I mumble back, disheartened, knowing exactly how Ricky learned to treat burns. L Joe holds me too him in silence as Ricky removes the gauze and working quick hands over the boy.

 

“We have better medicine but it will make him very drowsy. We should wait till we settle down.” Ricky explains evenly and turns to Changjo. “Unless we're staying here?” He questions the quiet red head, who lifts his eyes and stares between the two boys beside CAP.

 

“Give him what he needs. If he lives, we'll stay.” He omits the second option and lowers his head again, making Niel grind his teeth.

 

“Why does he make those decisions?” Niel is tense and his words are sharp but Ricky's sweet smile disarms him.

 

“Changjo is doing what he believes is best for all of us. You can trust him.” The smaller boy continues his work, making Niel uncomfortable, so Ricky explains his actions. “We have to lower his body temperature. The burns can cause fever, and we have to let the scares breath, so keep cloth away from the wound as much as possible. It's all I can really do for now. The medicine isn't expired, luckily, it will boost his immune system. Understand?” Ricky elaborates with a sour smile covering his face every time he turns to address the wounds.

 

“Thanks.” Niel speaks to air, looking in my direction, as if questioning CAP's safety in Ricky's care. I offer a nod and feel L Joe tighten his hold on me.

 

“What did you boys talk about while I was gone?” He hums but I only sigh, leaning into the blond's grip.

 

Not an hour later, CAP is grunting in discontent as he opens his eyes. We all stiffen but when he smiles to Niel we breath slightly easier. The injured boy shifts and groans in pain, making me notice Ricky stiffen but L Joe offers a quick smile and the boy calms.

 

“. I'm beat.” CAP breaths, gruffly.

 

“Ricky gave you something stronger to kill the pain. How do you feel?” Niel is suddenly docile and I smile to myself.

 

“I feel like I've been tranquilized but no pain if that makes you feel better.” CAP grins, somehow and we sit in silence as he turns to his leg in awe. “Damn, that'll leave one hell of a scare.” He breaths, turning to Niel and grinning. “It'll make me look y though, right?” CAP laughs at his own joke and shift again. “I'm hungry.” He whines, making me chuckle and dig something out for him to eat, which he takes with a grateful smile.

 

“Other than tired, how do you feel?” Niel bites his cheek.

 

“Like a million bucks,” CAP chuckles. “but I'm not entirely sure what it feels like to become a monster.” He finishes, too calmly.

 

“Well, it's probably a good sign that you're hungry. We'll find out soon enough.” Changjo is the one to speak this time and we're all surprised but I smile at the boy, who looks just as uneasy as before.

 

“It's getting late. Nothing seems to be happening tonight, maybe the drugs held it off. Still, we should rest.” L Joe offers and I can't help but agree. Niel settles beside CAP, making my eyes widen and I shake my head.

 

“If he-”

 

“If he wakes up, then that's my fault. I'm staying with him.” Niel argues, his tone offering no leeway. I sigh and bite at my tongue, sitting beside L Joe on the neighboring bed. He pulls me down beside him silent for a long moment.

 

“I have a good feeling about them. What about you?” He hums and I purse my lips with a shrug.

 

“I have no clue.” I whimper but L Joe holds me to him and I calm down, despite my excited heart that I hadn't noticed in all of the chaos today.

 

L Joe sure knows how to make a boy swoon. He probably has no clue what he's doing. The poor boy has been overly cautious with me since Ricky's betrayal. I suppose I'd have to live with it and hope my feelings will settle or at the very least become rational in time.

 

I pause for a moment, craning my head to notice Ricky seated on the floor beside Changjo, who's perched himself in a chair. A muffled exchange of Ricky asking the boy if he's staying awake and a quick reply. Then a plea to let him sleep beside him and another quick reply. I wanted to giggle at Changjo's stiff reaction when Ricky rest his head against the serious boy's thigh and closing his eyes but a few moments later Changjo is calm again and completely blank faced, despite the child like boy relaxing against him.

 

Ricky, I noticed, has been surprisingly attached to the red head, who seemed to barely endure the attention. Whatever Ricky's sudden interest in the taller boy was, Changjo was not amused.

 

I woke up a few hours later, the sun seeping through the window. I sit up slowly pulling away from L Joe and find Changjo still, barely, awake with a waiting stare focused on Niel and CAP's bed. They're sound asleep in the same position as before but soon Niel stirs and wakes as well.

 

It’s been well over the six hours we were expecting to wait and everyone conscious knows it. I nudge L Joe, causing the blond to stir while Changjo seems content with poking Ricky until he wakes with messy bed head and a lazy smile in the red head's direction.

 

We all groggily watch as Niel shoves at CAP's shoulder but he isn’t having any luck. We can see he’s breathing but know that doesn’t mean . After a stressful ten minutes of trying to nudge him awake him with no luck, Niel’s expression becomes defeated. Even Changjo hangs his head knowing what’s in store for the boy.

 

I watch silently as Niel brings out his knife and holds it to CAP’s neck, tears silently slip from his eyes as L Joe's grip on me tightens and Ricky even effectively clings onto the seemingly emotionless Changjo. Suddenly CAP's uninjured hand grips Niel’s wrist and bites, making us all jump.

 

“If you kill me, I swear I’ll haunt you.”

 

Okay. So, I got you guys the hook up.

Hahaha 

Another chapter, it's not very intense but we got some ChunJoe feels.

Hahaha 

I hope you guys are still liking it.

                                                                                                      

Changjo is so quiet this chapter.

                                                                                                     

He's got too much going on in that pretty little head of his.

 

Poor Ricky is stressed and let's not forget Niel, who's best friend is dying in front of him.

                                                                         

CAP is amusing for me to write.   

                                                                                                           

I personify myself in him too much, he's so sarcastic.

Hahah

I hope you guys liked my update. My Co and I offer labors of love!

Tell me what you guys are thinking?

                                                                                                       

What's next in the plot.

I think it's fairly unpredictable at this point but maybe you'll get lucky.

Tell me all about how I spell “fallow” instead of “follow” and “waste” instead of “waist”.

                                                               Haha 

I hope you guys aren't bothered by L Joe's skinship. 

                                                                                                                                                                                         

He's really not trying to be a tool.

                                                                                                                      

He thinks Chunji doesn't like him anymore and he feels overly protective.

Plus I really missed writing about my babies.

Hahaha 

I hope you guys will comment, subscribe, and upvote!

I'll update as soon as I can.