The Hunted 14

The Hunted
k2Gwj2O.jpg
 
"If you kill me, I swear I'll haunt you." My jaw drops as Niel jerked up off the bed and stood, wide eyed, in front of CAP; tears still flowing from his puffy eyes.
 
CAP smiled until Niel lifted his hand and slapped him clear across the face. I struggled not to laugh, while everyone one else flinched at the sound. After Niel collected himself, CAP slapped a pleased grin on his face for Niel, who stood with his arms crossed, in defiance, letting his tears continue to fall where they may.
 
"Feel better now?" CAP asked, outstretching his arms. Niel stood still for a second longer but then went into CAP's embrace, wrapping his arms tightly around him and burying his face into CAP's shoulders.
 
"I hate you." Niel mumbled and I watch his grip tighten. A chuckle escapes CAP.
 
"I know. I know." He replied, petting Niel's head with his uninjured hand.
 
We all watch in silence, pleased with the reunion and not wanting to ruin the moment. I still don't believe they're only friends. That's pure denial, if you ask me.
 
Still, I'm happy he made it. I know I was being demanding and stressing the others over the situation but someone has to be the honest one. If that boy was going to die, I'd rather be blunt than let the others get attached, then have to suffer.
 
The heartwarming moment was over, I suppose. It was more a matter of collecting ourselves now, planning for the future because we still have little food and a handicapped boy in tow, so I consider our options in my head.
 
The general store was only maybe 20 minutes away and by the looks of it yesterday there was food, that Chunji was too distracted to collect, in his rush to grab first aid. Otherwise food would be difficult but was one day enough for any unwanted company to leave the area? Maybe, maybe not.
 
None the less, it wasn't an appropriate place for all of us to visit. Chunji and Ricky should definitely stay behind and, needless to say, CAP but he's still appears drowsy and even if he's good company and can handle a gun, their best protection would probably be Chunji. I'm just not comfortable with that, at that thought I sigh to myself, which everyone seems to notice but I keep my eyes lowered and my mouth closed.
 
"What's he sighing about?" Niel mumbles with a sneer and I lift my eyes.
 
"He's relieved, I'm sure." Ricky's voice cuts off any answer I was going to offer and everyone's eyes are suddenly on him. I can't help but narrow my eyes at the smiling boy.
 
He's been very hot and cold lately. Since the reservation issue he won't step back more than a few feet. It makes me uneasy with him so close.
 
I recognize him as something of a trained assassin and if he needs anyone out of the way, it's me. Is he still trying to hurt us? I, somehow, doubt it but that doesn't mean he's entirely safe. That little devil on his shoulder is constantly insisting he kill us to save himself, I'm sure.
 
The smile on his face and his new found clinging tendency is making me recognize my worst fears. What I wouldn't give to see inside that pretty little head of his. To snap him out of any depraved thoughts that will cause us trouble, and now we have company that has no clue how dangerous the child like boy, honestly, is. Thank God Niel and CAP seem to understand what reservations can do to a person but that doesn't quite prepare them for the whirlwind that is Yoo Changhyun.
 
"What's your problem? You won't stop staring at Ricky like he's gonna gut you alive. "I stiffen at his gory suggestion but offer little, in way of eye contact. Ricky seems suddenly nervous, again and attempts to curl in on himself, once more.
 
"You know where he's from, so you know what he's capable of. Why do you act like I'm an idiot for being cautious? "
 
"You're more than cautious." He seems almost like he's teasing as he leans into his hand, which is braced on his knee. "So tell me. What did he do? "His voice is taunting. Daring even, but Ricky is quick to physically react. He says nothing, however, when we all offer him a glance. He's already staring, teary eyed, at the patient Niel. None of us make a sound as Ricky cries silently.
 
"Changjo saved them from me." Ricky surprised us all by being the first to start the, taboo, explanation. Niel a perfect eyebrow and waits. "I led them into a reservation and then when I tried to help them escape, Changjo came back for me." His voice is strained and soft, cracking at the appropriate points but I'm rather reserved at his short confession, while Niel and CAP appear utterly speechless.
 
"Changjo says he can be saved, so we let him stay." Chunji mumbles with a small smile, offered to Ricky.
 
"Saved?" Niel hums, in question.
 
"Mentally." I explain curtly and Niel is slightly baffled.
 
"Well that's ... good." The brunette's eyes won't leave Ricky and it seems to make the boy even more uncomfortable.
 
"Please don't treat him like he's trying to hurt your friend. He's a good person." Ricky whimpers, defending me instead of himself, not willing to look of from the floor but we all hear him clearly and Chunji seems, honestly, surprised at the boys request but nods to himself in agreement.
 
"Ricky is right. Everything Changjo does is for a reason, so taking things personally will not benefit anyone. CAP is safe and we're all relieved." Chunji purses his lips. I nod in thanks to the red head, across from me, who smiles warmly.
 
"That's enough defending my name, I think. I hope I don't need to remind everyone we still have no food."
Chunji bights his lip and nods to himself, then turns to L Joe, who is already in deep thought.
 
"L Joe?" The boys stare at each other and stare around the room.
 
"CAP, obviously, is going to stay behind."
 
"Chunji and Ricky need to stay behind. I'll go with you and Niel can stay behind to make sure nothing troublesome comes up." L Joe pauses and stares at me for a long moment as I stand but Chunji is, almost immediately, refusing my plan.
 
"Don't even think about it. You haven't slept in days. Stay behind and get some rest while you can, please." I scowl at the idea of ​​sleep. Of course I was exhausted, I try not to think about how little sleep I've gotten in the last week and how long I've been running off adrenaline but at the mention of lying down my body revolts and becomes drowsy but I snap myself out of it and shake my head.
 
"Chunji, it's best if I went with L Joe." He narrows his eyes at me.
 
"Absolutely not. Niel, would you, maybe be willing to go with L Joe to get food. I promise CAP is in good hands." Niel rolls his eyes at the suggestion.
 
"You're lucky CAP can handle himself." The brunette turns to his 'companion' and smiles. "It's okay, right?" CAP chuckles at his question and nods.
 
"I'm not your dad, Daniel. You can do whatever you want. I'll be fine, feeling better already." He grins, playfully, and waves him off.
 
"You brat." Niel whines but turns back to L Joe, who appears to suddenly have second thoughts about leaving Chunji with the rest of us. He takes the red heads hands and sneers.
 
"Maybe ... I could stay?" He mumbles, making me scoff.
 
"L Joe, go. I'll be fine for a little while." He chews on his tongue and nods at the floor, tightening his hold on the boy's hand.
 
"An hour, maybe two. I'll be back, I promise." Chunji chuckles and nods in agreement.
 
"I wasn't doubting you'd come back for me, L Joe. Family, right? "He hums as a final goodbye and I roll my eyes at Chunji's poor acting but L Joe sees what he wants to see and took the practiced lie, pulling the boy into a hug before petting his head, too sweetly, and turning to the waiting Niel.
 
Chunji held himself well while L Joe wasn't touching him, it was as if he was under the boy's spell and became almost inept when he was within touching distance. L Joe's skinship obsession must be driving the boy insane.
 
My thoughts end when Chunji turns to me with an expectant pout and I let out a breathy laugh, nodding in acceptance and shuffle to the bed, that became my holy grail when my head hit the pillow.
 
skPLuAC.jpg
 
Changjo passed out in a matter of minutes to my relief and it was nice to see he sleeps like the dead. I think Ricky appreciated that because he hasn't looked away from the, unconscious, boy.
 
"You okay?" I mumble to the otherwise preoccupied Ricky, feeling a bit odd with his stares. His eyes snap to mine and he looks troubled for a short moment but blinks and the emotion is gone.
 
"I'm fine. Just ... there's a lot to think about." He replies in a hushed, barely there, voice but I let it pass when CAP chuckles.
 
"You sure are an odd one. You have so many thought you keep to yourself. It's not good to keep thing bottled up, and it's obviously troubling the others." I mentally sigh when he speaks so truthfully.
 
"I'm ... not thinking about hurting anybody, I swear. My thoughts usually only go as dark as hurting myself." I hiss at Ricky's confessing words and grind my teeth at the thought.
 
"Yourself? , what did they do?" The question seems more directed to himself but Ricky stiffens, none the less, and shyly explains his psychotic past.
 
"Most of it was mental. They broke me, at least tried to. I've hurt a lot of people and led even more to death. I feel so out of place with all of you. I'm not a good person. I'm not what my parents wanted me to be ... but when I'm with Changjo ... I feel a little more human." CAP looks thoughtful and understanding with a, seemingly unbreakable, cool demeanor. "Is that insane?"
 
"No I don't think it is. Could you try to explain why?" He questions, too casually.
 
"He's just ... very stable. When I look at him, I'm reminded of what I could have been and what I wish I was." CAP smiles at Ricky's explanation and nods to himself, apparently amused.
 
"Then I would say you're salvageable." I stiffen at the familiar words, as does Ricky. "Everyone needs something or someone to keep themselves grounded. If that boy has become a lifeline for you ... hold on tight because I've seen people loose theirs. It's not a pretty sight and you probably won't want to live long past him." Ricky flinches at the mention of Changjo's death and I swallow dryly, watching Ricky listen carefully to CAP's words. "By the looks of it ... you're already more than attached." Ricky's lip begins to quiver and I sit down beside him.
 
"So, is Niel your lifeline?" CAP begins to chuckle at my suggestion, almost immediately.
 
 "Yes." Is his quick answer. "I was put in the military at a young age. Their soul purpose is to break you. I fought for a long time but eventually everyone gets broken. It's like being an empty shell, and that's what I was, until I met Daniel. He's everything I'm not, and it helps balance me out. So, no. I don't think it's insane. How long were you there? "He asked, finishing off his confession, and I couldn't help but nod in agreement to his earlier words.
 
"A year. Give or take." Ricky whispers but the moment the words left his mouth CAP's eyes are wide and he looks horrified and sympathetic at the news.
 
". You must have fought like hell." I smile at his, somewhat, comforting words to Ricky and pull the boy in beside me.
 
"Changjo was always there." Is Ricky's next, timid, confession. "It's because of him that even after I'd given up and accepted my fate. I had the courage to fight back and save people, even after deceiving so many others." I smile lightly, grateful at his change of heart, because otherwise L Joe and I wouldn't be alive.
 
"I see. Then, he's more than fit to be your rock." He grins but Ricky isn't pleased.
 
"He's seen such horrible things. He'll never forgive me." CAP's smile falls and his eyes land on the unconscious Changjo.
 
"Have faith in yourself, Ricky. Sanity shows, you're not insane. All you have to do is believe it." Changjo grunts in his sleep at CAP's words, drawling Ricky's nervous stare and I bite my cheek when his eyes fall.
 
"Chunji-" He whispers. "It hurts." My heart stings at his pleading voice. "It hurts, like you hurt when you look at L Joe." He finishes and my mouth drops slightly. "Does it stop?" He finally whimpers and my eyes sting at the realization of his childlike words.
 
"No. It hasn't stopped, Ricky." I confess, meekly and CAP remains quiet, not questioning our A / B conversation. Ricky shoves himself against me and stares at his hands.
 
"You understand?" Ricky begs and I sigh, letting my arm fall on his shoulder.
 
"I understand."
 
"You two are very obvious. It's a bit cheesy from the audience perspective." I narrow my eyes at his remark.
 
"You're one to talk, Romeo." I sneer but CAP only rolls his eyes.
 
"Niel and are friends, contrary to how we come off; I don't have any feelings for him. Honestly, you guys are so amusing. I think Niel is, already, curious.".He teases. "Especially of you, Chunji. God, the way L Joe clings to you makes velcro look slippery." I sigh at his teasing, causing him to pause and he corrects himself. "I assumed you liked it." He mumbles in apology.
 
"I do like it." I whine. "That's the problem." CAP an eyebrow but says nothing. "I just don't want to feel this way anymore. I want to be able to look at him and not want him. I want to be his friend, his family. There's no room left for lovers in this world." Ricky is rigid beside me, all of the sudden, but I let it pass.
 
"In love one is his own worst enemy, Chunji." I raise my eyes at his encouragement but he only shrugs before finishing. "No harm in keeping hope alive."
 
YtSjULO.jpg
 
It was too quiet when we first set out. Niel seemed a little uncomfortable, maybe even anxious but he kept walking, without so much as a sigh. He seems to hold himself together well ... except for with CAP. His feelings for the wounded boy shine through his facade.
 
We all see it. The tenderness and constant desire to ensure his safety, is love. Whatever form isn't my concern because I behave in a similar way with Chunji but it's a brotherly, compassionate love, no matter what it looks like and if Niel and CAP say it's friendship then I won't question them.
 
"You're quiet." Are the first words out of Niel's mouth but his eyes remain in front of him.
 
"Am I?" I mumble, ending my internal rant.
 
"Compared to when you're around the others ... do I make you uncomfortable?" His voice is even and unemotional.
 
"No ... I figured I made you uncomfortable. We all met yesterday and CAP almost died. Now you're being shipped off to find food with someone you barely know. I just thought you wanted some time to think." He chuckles at my suggestion and shakes his head slowly.
 
"I rarely want time to think, L Joe." Is his curt reply, making me nod to myself, embarrassed.
 
"So you and CAP have been together for a while." I hum in an attempt to end the silence.
 
"We've known each other maybe three years, so it fit you know. What about you guys? I've heard good things about you. What about your comrades? All I have gathered is one is mentally unstable, then there's the jerk, and a nervous boy that tends to keep quiet ... except for with you." I sigh at his implication.
 
Since Chunji's confession, of no longer having feelings for me, I've become more comfortable with affectionate touches or kind words. I was attempting to spare him heartache but with the, now, lacking feelings I want to ensure his friendship, safety, his everything is mine to care for in a strictly friendly way, that however, hasn't convinced anyone of my true intentions.
 
"Ricky isn't crazy. We were concerned. I'm ... cautious now but he seems repentant and my only honest concern has been that he'll snap and do something stupid but I'm hoping that'll be easy enough to stop before it starts." Niel, little more than blinks at my explanation for Ricky. He would need more proof apparently. "Changjo is as heroic as they come from the suburbs. He saved Chunji, tried to save me, saved Ricky. He's tried so hard to make up for past mistakes. He's a better man than I, if I'm honest. I'm grateful for him. I'm grateful that he sees each one of us as family and a priority that he isn't willing to risk." He is hesitant to show a reaction to my, approving, record of Changjo's character, so I go on. "If it makes you feel any better, I hated him too when we first met." Niel let out a small chuckle at my confession. "Chunji ... is smart. I've known him for a long time. We met in junior high but didn't really acknowledge each other until high school but that was rare, senior year changed things when he attempted to confess." Niel smiles to himself at this and smirks at me.
 
"I knew it." He chuckles but I roll my eyes.
 
"You don't. There is a lot more to mine and Chunji's story. After that I wanted to hold face. So, even though I wasn't disgusted by his feelings, I appeared to be and harassed him for the better part of our last year. He somehow kept those feelings, until we met one night, almost two months ago." Niel looks skeptical and maybe a bit hesitant to speak but I go on. "He seems to understand my true feelings now. I care for him. I'd do anything for him. He knows that, I think, but he's also realized that I don't have those feelings for him and over the time we've been together he seems to have collected those emotions and turned them into something else because he recently let slip that it's in the past; which is a bit of a relief because I feel far more comfortable being able to touch him and hold him as I please, without hurting his feelings." Niel looks ready to laugh by now and stops in his tracks.
 
"You like him, L Joe." He chastises and I purse my lips.
 
"Sometimes I wish I did. I want to be in love again, to feel those unmistakable butterflies and the desire to feel that person in every way. I've pored what I could into Chunji but it's not the same. I feel more attached to him, yes, but besides that; he's no different than Ricky or Changjo." Niel, rolls his eyes at this, so I confess my most embarrassing secret. "When we first reconnected, I kissed him." Niel's obviously surprised by this but I only take a short pause. "I kissed him and had every intention of feeling him in every way that night. I wanted to feel that kind of love again and I was sickeningly selfish. "
 
"You regret it?" Niel stops my words and I nod.
 
"I do. I regret that I didn't feel the way one's supposed to feel when they're intimate. I regret that I touched him that way. I regret that I can't make myself fall in love with Chunji because he's exactly what I need in this ed up world but I can't do it and everyone seems to expect me to. "
 
"You really are a good person." Niel admonishes but I shake my head.
 
"I'm not." He chuckles and we walk on. "CAP is important to you, like Chunji's important to me." I mumble, in hopes of finding understanding.
 
"Yes. Except, regardless of what you've seen, CAP is usually the one to watch over me. I'm not a leader, like CAP. He was made for stuff like this. I try to just follow in stride and trust his judgment." I hum at this and attempt to create a visual of the, zealous, Niel taking backseat to the injured, sarcastic CAP, back at the motel.
 
"I see, do you think you'll stay then? With us I mean. You and CAP, could join our family." I stumble over my words and see Niel smile at the offer.
 
"Depends. I wouldn't mind and if CAP trust you, we stay. My guess is that he does already or he wouldn't have excepted your help in the first place. "I nod in acceptance and quiet myself, without reason. "They sent you out here. I could see that Changjo was decent with a gun, I'm surprised you're top pick in all honesty." I smirk at his observation.
 
"I'm a fast learner." I shrug but Niel scoffs.
 
"Maybe but that isn't always enough. You're more than good with a gun, my guess, since you didn't bat a lash at the suggestion they send you; is that you're brave." I make no comment but he smiles to himself.
 
"Yeah, that's probably it. A boy with nothing too loose in order to keep his friends safe is either stupid or brave. You don't strike me as dumb, L Joe." I don't hold in my laughter at his guess and nod to myself.
 
"Thanks. I like you too." I casually mumble to the boy, who smiles in agreement.
 
We're getting close to the same store now, so we pull our weapons in an expectant attack but nothing appears even amongst the corpses sprawled out over the general store's floor. I step over the bodies in disgust and shove whatever food is worth keeping and shuffle around the store as quickly as I can. Niel does the same, making me soon satisfied with our scrapings of food and last minute necessities and we head out of the store in a hurry.
 
We shuffled through our bags on the way back and find maybe a few weeks worth of food for all of us ... if we eat light but, for now, it'll do.
 
The walk seemed longer headed back in silence but after being in such a shady area, we wanted to keep our voices down in lieu of gaining, unwanted, attention but we eventually reach our safe haven and I sigh in relief.
 
Pulling the door open, I meet a smiling group of boys, aside from the apparently groggy Changjo. Chunji smiled at me and I threw down the bag, unwilling to wait another second to hold him. I was probably more concerned of not seeing him again, then he was of seeing me again but he hugs me back. Wrapping his arms around my torso in the most comforting way and I bury my face in his familiar smell.
 
"Honey, I'm home." I tease, thankfully, gaining a giggle from the boy in my arms but I step back when the door is thrown open and my eyes narrow. Shoving a confused, worried Chunji behind me at the sight of three tall, middle aged men, with very deadly weapons in their hands.
 
Their eyes are on Ricky and I turn my head but Changjo is already up and armed, protecting the defenseless boy, who appears unhappy at his suddenly safe position, behind Changjo, as he tugs at the taller boy's shirt.
 
Niel is first to shoot, in less than a second. Nobody barging in so recklessly, is safe. So, I see no need to correct him.
 
In the next second, the other two are on the floor; bullet wounds, evidently from both Niel and CAP's guns, bleeding from there chest or temple.
 
I gawk at the sight, between the boys, still in attack position, the now dead bodies, and Changjo gaping in horror.
 
"You ... killed them." Changjo swallows and I finally breath, turning to Chunji and, needlessly, checking for injury.
 
"No . They were going to kill us." Niel hissed in reply and I offer a correcting look, getting a roll of the eyes.
 
"Where the hell did they come from?" CAP is next to comment and Ricky's hiccup breaks our questioning thoughts.
 
"They must have followed you. They're from the reservation." He cries, burying his face against the, again, tense Changjo.
 
"We need to get out of here. We need to get further north." Chunji mumbles and leans into my hold.
 
None of us speak as we quickly collect our bags, in agreement and CAP is braced on Niel's shoulder after Niel shoves the bodies out of the doorway. I snatch the rifles and shotgun from the men's person and offer the first two to Changjo and Niel and hold the third in deliberation. After a long moment of thought, I shove it toward the unsuspecting Ricky, who gapes in awe, almost matching Changjo's horror.
 
"They're after you. If the time comes ... protect yourself." His eyes are glassed over by now and his shaky hands accept the gun and just as soon wrap around me, in recognition of how much trust I'm putting in him.
 
"I won't disappoint you, L Joe."
 
Woahhhhh!!!!
Hahaha 
I'm so sorry, first of all, 
                                                                
because Holy Teen Top this chapter was later than a pregnant Chunji's period
                                       .....
(but SARAPBUHAY, Chunji doesn't have a period...) My smart little Dots!)
               
I missed you guysssss, ughhh. So much work!!!
Stay in school kids! Hahahaha 
It's longggg, right? (; I wanted 5000 words cause you were all so patient, 
                    but uhhh... 
I only got 4300 hahahaha woops.
On the bright side I hit over 100 subs on The Hunted!
RACHACHACHA
I was so psyched and want to update then but
                                                                   
It was soooo hardddd! That's what Chunji said.....
I apologize. You didn't come here for stupid dirty humor. Anyways.
 
What do you guys think????
                                                                        Huhuhuh? 
What's gonna happen?
Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. 
I need to know!!!! I hope you missed me guys because I never wanna do that again!
                                   T-T
I have no clue when I'll write next but I hope soon.
The more comments and upvotes I get the quicker I'll work. Not to mention with more Dots subbing to wait on an update I'll have to work harder. I hope you guys liked the update.
I worked hard and I'll continue to do my best. We ain't done yet baby. (; More coming soon. Talk to me and love me okay! MUAH