The Hunted 6

The Hunted

YtSjULO.jpg

For now I insisted that Chunji and Ricky sleep, they cuddled up beside each other easily enough...well at least Ricky did. Chunji still seemed a tiny bit uncomfortable so close to him but settled down in the end. 

I was keeping a very sharp eye on them for the night. I wouldn't be sleeping. Not with such a uncomfortable eeriness to the small house. 

 

I'd had this feeling before. Only once, when I was being stalked by one of those undead monsters. 

I shudder at the memory. It was honestly the most unsettling feeling I've ever experienced. You know they're there. You can feel it but they make no move. Not a single step outside of yours. I got rid of the thing last time by feigning klutz, the thing stumbled out from behind the trees the moment it saw me fall and I took care of it then.

If it was another, I wasn't sure how I'd lure it out with Ricky and Chunji in tow. We'd all have to look helpless. 

 

I sigh to myself, trying to keep my eyes on the boys in front of me and not scan the room. I'd only become paranoid and morning wasn't far, so I just relax in good company. 

Ricky kept mumbling and whimpering in his sleep which drew Chunji from his slumber with an annoyed grunt, making me chuckle but I quieted down when he crawled to my side. 

"You're not going to make me go in there right?" He again begs and I huff in annoyance. 

"Chunj-"

"I've never seen a reservation that housed sane people L Joe. They do diabolical things, from murder to kidnappings. They protect themselves and the lower you are on the food chain, the more likely you are to be dealt with." He rest his head on my shoulder and I near cringe at his touch.

"How do you know?" I hum in response. He couldn't right? We were in Busan now, not Seoul and things could be completely different here. He twiddles his thumbs and purses his lips.

"People have lost their minds L Joe and I'm just-" He stops and I watch his expression darken. "If Ricky's parents are alive and we get them out...they'll kill us. I know they will." At his words, the rickety door shot open and a tall fairly, muscular man stood in the door way. I noticed his weapons immediately and gripped my own, standing in defense with Chunji as quick back up.

"You." He speaks, pointing past me to the obviously nervous Chunji, who gives me a horrified look but keeps his pistol pointed at the man. "You suspected him from the beginning." His voice is tight as he his gun toward the waking Ricky. I take a step closer with narrowed eyes but he only smirks. "Why are you letting your guard down?" He growls at Chunji, who appears shaky.

"Why are you here?" He mutters in an uneven voice as I keep stepping toward Ricky, who is now awake and confused. Keeping them safe was priority and Ricky who has no weapon is this man's target.

"I wouldn't get so close to that. He's dangerous." His voice drops when I step in front of Ricky, who finally stands.

"What do you mean dangerous?" Chunji's voice cracks and I give him a hard look in absolute disbelief of him trusting this stranger, who is trying to harm a member of our family.

"I mean, he's a lying murderer." I jerk my neck in Chunji's direction and my biggest fear came true.

He believed him.

He even lowered his gun and I scowl.

"Chunji! Stop! What are you thinking?" I chastise and he looks to me, furrowing his brow.

"Why do you trust him L Joe, because he's cute?" His voice is strained and I shake my head furiously.

"Chunji, he's just a kid looking for help. He's not trying to kill us. Why would you believe him anyway. He just stormed in, pointing a gun at the boy you were just sleeping next to. What's wrong with you?" I try to keep my voice even.

"L Joe...he's been sketchy since he got here and I think we should give-" He looks toward the gun wielding man.

"Changjo." He answers.

"Changjo, a chance to explain his accusation." He speaks, suddenly surprisingly confident.

"He's holding a gun in his hands Chunji. He's ready to shoot." I beg and Chunji shakes his head.

"He hasn't hurt us yet." He mutters and I watch the dark haired man lower his gun and I do the same but my fingers tingle anxiously.

"This is insane." I turn fractionally and see Ricky wide eyed and terrified as the anger mounts in his eyes.

"Chunji" Ricky mumbles quietly. "You don't trust me?" He whines and I offer a pat on the head as comfort.

"Not in the least." Chunji answers too bluntly, turning to Changjo with a new resolve. "Explain." He cuts, taking a seat.

"He's leading you into a trap." I scoff at the unrealistic crime and get a dirty look from Chunji. "His parents have been dead for over a year." Chunji takes a sharp breath but it's interrupted.

"That's not true!" Ricky cries and I hold him in a tight embrace as if it will protect him from the slurs to his reputation.

"He's a very important asset to the reservation he's bringing you to." Chunji looks anxious and worried as he looks toward Ricky and me. I shake my head at him, begging him to stop but he lets Changjo go on. "The bait." He finished.

"Bait for what?" Chunji mumbles while Ricky whines in my hold. Begging to protect his name but I keep him quiet with an expectant stare.

"Sacrifices." Changjo shrugs, as if he'a told this story time and time again.

"Stop it!" Ricky begs and I feel my heart tighten at the plea.

"Shut up." Changjo growls and I lift my gun while he lifts his.

"Stop." Chunji's voice is calm but shockingly authoritative and I settle back down with Ricky.

"He drags unsuspecting victim after unsuspecting victim into those walls, using his pretty face to get their trust. It's not so difficult for him I would assume." He glares at the shaking boy.

"How exactly do you know all of this?" I snarl sarcastically.

"I escaped from a reservation near his. I couldn't believe my own eyes." His voice shakes. "Why would a little boy bring these people to be torn apart? Eaten alive." He shutters at his own words. "So...having nothing else to live for, I vowed to protect any other victims." He finishes with a sigh, making Ricky whimper.

"Please don't believe him Channie. He hates me. I don't know why he's doing this but he's trying to hurt us." Ricky's voice is a whisper. An aching plea for trust and redemption.

"You're a bit odd. You know that?" Chunji shakes his head. "If you've seen him do these things...why would you let him live?" Changjo stiffens along with the rest of us and his eyes fall on Ricky, who has tears silently covering his face. A grimace crosses Changjo's calm facade and he turns back to Chunji.

"I have reasons." He hums and I stand.

 

"That's quite enough. We've heard his story Chunji, are you done?" I sigh, just barely getting Chunji's attention.

 

"Not at all. Changjo seems very interesting." He mumbles to himself, throwing Ricky a look.

 

"Chunji! We're done listening to his story." I growl, getting little more than a blink of the eyes from either of them.

 

"Since you have so much faith in Ricky, somebody has to believe Changjo. What if he's telling the truth?" He mutters, making Ricky hiccup in sorrow.

 

"If he's not we end up leaving Ricky behind!" I don't control the volume of my voice well and take a sharp breath.

 

"If he is then we die." Chunji shoots back, still too calm. He stands, brushing invisible dust off of his clothes and looking at the tear stained Ricky.

 

"I really wanted to believe you." He whispers and I go rigid.

 

"So what now? I'm not keeping him around Ricky." I growl, pointing at the disinterested Changjo.

 

"I can go if you really want me to. I've given my warning and I'll help if you want help, otherwise my conscience is clear." Chunji finally lets fear cross his face and I sigh at some for of emotion coming off the man.

 

"Don't leave." He begs and I groan in disappointment.

 

"Let him go." I whine.

 

"He might be trying to save us." He rebuttals.

 

"If you like him so much, then go with him." I growl in frustration and the torn, pained look that immediately covers Chunji's face makes me swallow dryly.

 

"You really trust Ricky? You really think there's nothing wrong with him? He knows too much and he's too happy. We live in a broken world L Joe and there's no way he could be so composed...unless he's insane." He finishes quietly.

 

"Some people don't like to see what's in front of them." Changjo speaks, almost comfortingly and my teeth grind at his voice.

 

"You trust Changjo? We know nothing about him." I reply with a sharp tongue.

 

"We knew nothing about Ricky either."  He sighs in defeat. "How did you really survive for so long in that neighborhood Ricky? I knew that didn't make sense." He directs the rhetorical question at Ricky. "I don't want you to get hurt L Joe." His voice is shaky again and I bite my lip in frustration.

 

"We won't be hurt. Ricky isn't hurting us." I step closer to the suddenly nervous boy and I let the broken look cross my face, completely unsure of how to protect both of the boys. "Let Changjo go." I whisper the plea, letting the words mingle between us. His eyes go soft and I hold my breath for his answer.

 

"Are you working with Ricky? You're so manipulative." Changjo's voice released Chunji from the seriousness of my request and I scowl. 

 

"He has me wrapped around his finger." Chunji murmurs disheartened. "I'll go with him." Chunji finished with a quiet whimper and I let my eyes go wide. 

 

No! This isn't supposed to happen. He's not supposed to trust Changjo! He's supposed to want to stay with us, his family! My heart breaks at his words as he grabs his backpack, seeing the sunrise over the hills. I tug at his wrist and make him pause.

 

"Stay." I beg but he lowers his head, denying my request. "Changjo...can stay too." I finish and Chunji finally looks back at me, looking near tears and he pulls me into a thankful, bone crushing hug.

 

"Thank you." He breaths, pulling back. Changjo stands behind Chunji. Brow lifted and seemingly disinterested.

 

"You're not serious?" Ricky's voice is quiet and I cringe at the pleading look he gives. "He can't stay! What about my parents?" Ricky cries and Changjo rolls his eyes.

 

"Cut the crap Changhyun. I see how you look at them. You like them, so let them live." Changjo scolds, using an unfamilar name that makes me my brow at his knowledge on Ricky but the boy only narrows his eyes.

 

"I don't know who you are or why you're doing this but-"

 

"I'll tell you why." Changjo pauses, letting a smik cover his lips and Ricky goes stiff. "I'm saving you from yourself." 


OKAY DOTS!!!

 

What did we learn today??

 

Is the plot coming together for you guys yet???

                                                 

Be patient okay?

                 

L Joe is so torn T-T poor thing doesn't know what to do with himself but is Changjo telling the truth? What's going on??? 

Haha Okay, there is a lot to talk about this chapter but I'll let you guys do with it what you will. Chew on it for a bit.

                                          

Make sure to post lots of comments cause they're my absolute favorite part of posting updates and I gave you guys a lot to comment on this time right??? 

         

I love you Dots!! 

                 

Talk to me! Love me! See you soon~