Chapter 17

The breaking of a concept

 

 

Youngjae sat on his couch, textbook open in his lap, file with chapter requirements to the right and a big cup of coffee on the table in front of him. It was his ideal study environment but still he couldn't focus. He had tried! Really! But after he realized he had to start the page over and over again, two hours and he was still on the first page of the first chapter he had to study also that his coffee was already cold and untouched, he figured giving up was a better option.

 

There wasn't much Youngjae enjoyed more than studying and this whole mess was all Daehyun's fault. His thoughts kept betraying him and straying to the box of ideas that should never be explored. What would Daehyun do now? Was he thinking about Youngjae as much as Youngjae was thinking of him? Ever since the other day he couldn't but think of what the slightly older boy had in mind. Surely he wasn't serious about keeping up with his intentions of … courting. Even the word seemed odd to the blonde. His previous (and only) boyfriend just came around, confessed and they just started dating. This in-between state didn't exist.

 

Youngjae jumped in the air, startled by his phone, before he rushed to the device carelessly left on the spotless carpet. When he noticed the caller's id 'Daehyun-ssi' he stood frozen staring at the blank display picture.

 

He bit his lip hard before pressing the accept button with trembling fingers.

 

G-good morning D-daehyun hyung”

 

Youngjae cursed himself inwardly. 'Way to go, stutter, just perfect.'

 

Youngjae-ah ...”

 

The blonde's breath hitched as he listened to Daehyun's slightly husky voice. Did he just wake up? It surely sounded that way. His mind formed a picture of Daehyun in his bed sleeping peacefully and Youngjae had to blink a couple of times to focus again and clear those silly thoughts.

 

Can you meet me now?” asked Daehyun and Youngjae's heart skipped a beat. 'So he isn't just fooling around? He didn't forget about all this already?' were the thoughts in the younger's mind “For a study date I mean” added Daehyun.

 

Instinct told Youngjae to deny the request and just focus on studying on his own, in peace. Just as the thought crossed his mind he vaguely remembered the last couple of hours of studying … or failing to do so, really.

 

I … that would be okay. A study meeting, I mean” he answered, stressing the word 'meeting'. “I'll see you at the library in 30 minutes?” he asked as he closed the book and set it on the table.

 

How about you come over?”

 

Youngjae considered the option for a second before saying “I wouldn't want to bother Yongguk hyung, I know how he is when he's working on something and he probably has a lot to catch up with after his vacation”

 

Daehyun's reply was delayed “He's not home at the moment...”

 

For whatever reason Youngjae blushed at the other's lack of subtlety. There was no way in nine heavens he'd step in that apartment while Daehyun was alone. Nope, no way.

 

Ah I think library would be better. We can you know … get other books if we need them”

 

A deep sigh was heard from the other side of the line followed by a soft reply “That's okay too Youngjae-ah”

 

~ * ~

 

For the first time in years Youngjae found himself in front of his open closet wondering what in the world should he wear. He had a very strict dress code (and very simple at that). Was the event formal? Suit. Was it not? Normal casual clothes. Even before, when he went on real dates, he didn't go above casual for them. Youngjae always thought that if a person doesn't like him for who he is but for the clothes he wears then he doesn't really even want them to like him. Based on that philosophy he didn't even purchase more fancy clothes.

 

But now... well now he had this odd feeling. This silly need to impress. He ran his hand through his pretty much messy blonde locks and sighted in frustration. Again.

 

From a logical perspective he knew this was not going to be anything but two classmates studying in a library. But then why did all his clothes seem too simple... His eyes drifted to the corner of the top shelf. 'Should I …?'

 

He lifted himself on his toes and reached for the box. It was a present form Himchan for his birthday and even though he knew it wasn't polite, Youngjae never wore it. The singer opened the box and took out the pair of skinny white jeans and a matching black shirt. The pants were way too tight for his taste and he doubted that in the past months he lost any weight to make them seem less fitting. As for the shirt... it would be pretty nice if it weren't for the cross shaped pattern of see-through material on the back.

 

Glancing at the clock made Youngjae cringe. Even if he'd step out of the house now he'd still be late...

 

~ * ~

 

Daehyun was tense. Everyone in the room could see that and the glances he kept throwing towards the door weren't very subtle either. A few girls seated at a table close to the center of the study area were giggling and peaking at him from time to time before arranging their clothes and batting their eyelashes.

 

The honey colored hair boy didn't even notice them as he was too busy scolding himself. The day wasn't progressing how he hoped it'd be. For one, Youngjae refused to come over. He really wanted to spend some quality time alone with his (future) blonde. Then there was Yongguk …

 

His two hyungs got home early in the morning and even though Daehyun was awake at the time he didn't really want to witness that. Just as he thought Himchan would stop kissing Yongguk and go to his own place (finally) the boy whispered something in Yongguk's ear which in turn made the eldest face to color and match his hair perfectly before kissing his boyfriend, again.

 

It wasn't that Daehyun was unhappy for his friend and roommate. No … they looked truly happy but Daehyun's heart just beat faster as his brain altered the reality slightly and pictured himself and Youngjae hugging like that, obviously happy.

 

When Yongguk said he'd stay a few days at Himchan's, Daehyun's mind began plotting.

 

Now, sitting at the library, 15 minutes after their designated meeting time, Daehyun couldn't but wonder why was he so attracted to the younger boy. He was so, but so far from what Daehyun considered to be ideal.

 

All those thoughts vanished from his mind when the library door opened and Youngjae stepped inside. He looked gorgeous. Daehyun's eyes slid down from Youngjae's slightly messy hair to his legs. His freakin' legs! He'd never seen the younger wear tight pants but by god, it made him look … y.

 

Daehyun swallowed hard when his friend sat down next to him. He tried, desperately even, to listen to whatever Youngjae was saying but he couldn't because with the blonde so close to him, their chairs less than a meter apart, he could see the pale skin of his neck and collarbones as the shirt's neckline was lower than anything he's ever seen Youngjae wear.

 

Umm what?” he asked shaking his head slightly trying to focus on Youngjae's words.

 

I said sorry for being late” repeated Youngjae while smiling slightly.

 

Despite the fact that he was a bit annoyed earlier (and maybe a bit scared Youngjae wouldn't show up), Daehyun smiled back, all trace of the feeling gone.

 

If Youngjae thought studying at home was hard then this was downright impossible! Because the elder forgot his textbook at home they were both reading from the same book and that required them to sit side by side, almost touching.

 

Youngjae didn't know if it was done on purpose (it was) but Daehyun kept brushing against his side and it was driving him insane! Daehyun on the other hand was way too happy to bask in the warmth radiating from his cute little blonde.

 

I don't get problem 8” muttered Youngjae and turned to his hyung “Do you..” he abruptly stopped when he noticed how close they really were. There were literally a few centimeters between their lips and Youngjae's traitorous mind flew to the last kiss the two of them shared.

 

Daehyun was about to say 'screw it' to all rules of public behavior and just lean in and kiss the tempting lips already parted for him but sadly for him the group of girls became louder instantly and captured the blonde's attention. Daehyun turned to glare at the four of them.

 

The girls looked curious and kept throwing them looks. After a while they started to really annoy Daehyun.

 

Youngjae-ah..”

 

Youngjae turned to answer to Daehyun but stopped, a bit in awe, as the other's hand rose to cup his cheek. Daehyun's hand was slightly cold causing a shiver to run though Jae's body and his eyes to close slightly.

 

The blonde didn't know if it was his imagination or not but the elder's voice seemed to drop an octave as he spoke “I'm tired, let's get out of here and go have lunch?”

Youngjae pondered the options. To stay here and feel like a lab experiment in front of a bunch of girls who looked like they wanted nothing more than kick him out of the building and take his place or to go out and actually have some lunch and give up on this failed attempt at studying.

 

Okay. Do you have a place in mind?”

 

Daehyun's grin stretched from ear to ear and for Youngjae the sight was undoubtedly beautiful.

 

~ * ~

 

Daehyun was smiling and he knew his wide display of teeth was probably frightening Seo Young, the waitress at his favorite restaurant. But he just couldn't help it! Youngjae looked a lot more relaxed and the light coming from the wide windows of the place made him almost glow.

 

You come here often?”

 

Daehyun nodded slightly “Yes, found the place soon after I moved in the city”

 

You know... we didn't manage to study a bit. We'll be doomed tomorrow” whined Youngjae as he tilted his head back staring at the ceiling exposing more of his neck. Daehyun just couldn't hold himself back and lowered his head to the crook of the other's neck.

 

We'll be okay” he whispered into Youngjae's ear before placing a light kiss to the skin beneath it.

 

Youngjae-ah!”

 

Daehyun's head moved instantly and followed the voice. In front of their table stood a man Daehyun had often seen around the store.

 

Oh Minho hyung” Youngjae stood up abruptly and bowed his head slightly. The other boy however threw an arm around him and hugged him far too closely in Daehyun's book.

 

It's been too long Youngjae, we need to catch up”

 

Daehyun kept glaring as the two exchanged phone numbers.

 

And this is Daehyun hyung, he's a friend” said Youngjae as he motioned to a still seated Daehyun.

 

Nice to meet you Daehyun-ssi”

 

Unable to form a (polite) reply Daehyun just nodded and forced a smile.

 

I have to get back to work. I'll call you later”

 

As the man left the table an awkward silence was left behind.

 

An old friend?” asked Daehyun finally unable to stand the silence.

 

Um ..” the younger toyed with one of the folded napkins “Yes”

 

Something about the answer made Daehyun frown and jealousy flooded him. “Just a friend?” he pressed as his heart began beating faster. The silence that followed filled him with dread.

 

We dated but just for a little while”

 

The admission made Daehyun sick.

 

 

___________________________

Hihi ... here I am with another update. My week was just awful so I thought there may be other people out there in need of a bit of daejae.

Enjoy guys <3

~ Marisse