Chapter 1

The breaking of a concept

 

Jung Daehyun was, for the lack of a better word since he couldn't quite explain it, frustrated. In his 18 years of life he had never been denied anything. Be it a cigarette when he craved a smoke and he ended up asking a random stranger for one, a push on a deadline he wouldn't meet without any penalty or a girl's number ... everything Daehyun ever asked for was given to him. Well that up untill now.

His fingers unconsciously tightened on the paper in his hand making it almost tear apart. If anyone would have told Daehyun that someone would refuse him he would have laughed. But if that person would have said he would be refused as a partner for a singing project ... well then the brown haired male might've even died of lack of air because he'd find the idea hilarious.

But not it wasn't that funny since well, it happened. Daehyun's eyes moved and he looked, again, towards a blonde male sitting in front of him. Honestly speaking Daehyun wasn't even mad. No, he was confused and maybe a bit sad.

Being 18 and in the best university in Korea, studying to be a singer and yet managing to be not only able to be the captain of a sports team but also have an almost perfect social life was a big accomplishment. Daehyun knew that even if he wasn't the best singer in their year he was surely in Top 5.

So then, why did the blonde refuse him? Honestly the Busan singer remembered the reasons the other had invoked. Something about Daehyun being too busy to work on this as much as it was needed and if he was to be completely sincere Daehyun would admit he more or less ignore everything else the other said after the inital 'No'.

The class ended and students began gathering their notebooks and walking out of the classroom. Daehyun knew this because his eyes never left the slim figure of the male in front of him but even then he made no move to get up from his chair. Youngjae didn't even turn his way and left the classroom quickly to make it in time for the next class.

Daehyun sighted and took out his own bag in which he threw the messed paper and the pen.

"Um, Daehyun oppa"

The voice took him by surprise because he thought he was alone in the room and when his eyes moved to the left he noticed a girl sitting there with a shy smile on her face.

"I was wondering if you have a partner for the recording asignment ..."

Daehyun frowned while analizing her. She was pretty, surely a lot of girls were jealous of her. He could remember her from other classes they shared. She had good voice and even though he rarely talked to her she seemed like a nice girl. So why was his first instinct to tell her that yes, he did have someone to work with and that yes, she should just leave him alone?

"I'm sorry Yun-seo but I already have a partner" he said while smiling to not upset the girl because honestly, it wasn't her fault. Why was he lying again?

She seemed upset but that didn't bother Daehyun for too long. On his way home he couldn't stop replaying in his mind the short conversation from yesterday.

 

Daehyun waited patiently in the library pretending to read a book. The clock on the wall, at which he's been staring for the past 10 minutes, showed it was only 12:05 so the blonde should be arriving any minute now.

As if on cue a slim boy stepped in the room holding a backpack awkwardly while trying to arrange his hair. Daehyun watched amused as the other teen struggled to fix his messy blonde strands without much success. He must've realized it was a pointless struggle since he dumped his bag on a nearby empty table before disappearing in one of the aisles.

The smile on Daehyun's face widened when, a few minutes later, Youngjae returned carrying a stack of books. He walked with care as to not drop one of the books which Daehyun knows Youngjae consideres to be precious and sat down at his table.

Somehow 30 minutes have passed and the older boy didn't even try to approach the other. It wasn't because he was shy but simply because he enjoyed watching the other. When he studied Youngjae looked happy, relaxed and sometimes he would smile for no apparent reason. Daehyun didn't really understand what from a textbook could make a person smile but since it was Youngjae he didn't even bother thinking about it too much ... he was only glad it was happening.

When he found himself standing in front of the table at which the blonde was sitting Daehyun coughed causing the other to look up and focus all his attention on him.

"Hey" Daehyun said smiling. They spoke before, mostly just 'hi, how are you?, bye' but they never actually had a real conversation which is what the dark haired teen hoped to get while discussing their project.

"Daehyun-ssi, wasn't expecting to see you here"

Well of course not, Daehyun rarely visited the library and even then it was not by choice but rather necessity.

"I was looking for a book then I saw you here and realized I wanted to ask you something" Youngjae looked surprised but he kept silent as he watched Daehyun sit next to him without any sort of invitation. "I think we'd make a good team for the project we have to prepare for the end of the term"

As he and Youngjae only shared two classes the younger obviously understood what Daehyun was talking about but from there things didn't quite work as the latter was expecting them to. Instead of smiling the blonde frowned and his mouth was set in a thin line.

"I don't think that's such a good idea Daehyun-ssi"

Daehyun could only imagine what he must've looked like. His mouth dropped and eyes wide, he must resemble a fish out of water but even so he couldn't gather his thoughts and speak.

"I think it's better not ..."

 

Daehyun couldn't say he was a better singer than Youngjae but he knew he was good enough to be paired with the other in this. Even more, he truly believed only his voice could fully complement the other's.