Sheet 8

Damned Star

 

Sheet 8

 

 

Ah!

 

Wah!

 

“Omo, omo I can’t believe this Hyekyo!” I exclaimed.

“Me either! I never believed in those things, but now I totally do.” She replied in a very happy and high pitch.

 

“Hey! Keep it down in there.” Yoochun’s annoyed voice echoed.

 

The two of us looked at each other and ignored his warning and continued squealing.

 

“Hey I told you guys to keep quiet.” The damned star uttered, slowly coming in the back room, “I couldn’t hear what I am watching.” He added as his brows meeting.

 

We glanced at each other again and shut our lips.

 

“What are you screaming about anyway?” he asked.

“I won Yoochun! I won!” I shouted.

 

“Won what?”

 

“I won the raffle! An all-expense paid trip to Jeju for three!” I shared, excitement clouding my words.

 

“Chincha? (Really)” he got all excited too and came up to us.

“Yes!!!”

 

Then Yoochun began celebrating with us until the star halted and clicked his tongue, “Aish. That’s it? Well now that you have squealed so much could stop and let me watch in peace?”

 

The both of us reluctantly nodded. He sighed and went back out front.

“I guess we were over doing our spazzing huh?” Hyekyo mentioned.

I chuckled, “Nah. He’s just very irritable.”

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

Finally I will be able to see Jeju. My longtime dream, coming true. I am so excited! Yoochun and I were gradually made our way to our units. He soon reached his front door but before he came in he called my attention, “Minah.”

 

“Yes?” I turned around.

“For how long will you be away?” he softly questioned.

 

I smiled at him and put up 4 fingers, “We will be staying there for four days.”

His eyes got bigger all of a sudden, “Four days?!”

 

I simply bobbed my head.

 

“You mean I will be alone for four days?” his voice instantly sounded worried.

“Wae? You have been alone here even before we moved in. You will survive a few days.” I answered.

The damned star straightened his face, “When and what time will you be leaving?”

 

“The day after tomorrow at around 8 a.m.” I stated.

 

I heeded him releasing a very heavy and loud sigh before entering his apartment. I wonder what he is worrying about. He’s been asking me questions like he was some detective. He’ll be perfectly fine without us.   

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Umma! Hurry up we need to leave!” I called my mother’s attention, who is not yet done packing her things.

 

“Hyekyo is waiting with the cab driver outside.” I added.

 

“I am coming!” my mother yelled as she came dragging her things to the living room.

“Umma, what took you so long?” I queried.

“Well, I didn’t know what clothes to put. I had to get the best ones. A lot of people would be seeing me there, I need to look pretty.” She reasoned.

 

I can’t help but laugh at her explanation, “Let’s just go mom.” I insisted helping her with her bags.

 

We securely locked our front door and began striding down the hall.

 

“Hey Minah, shouldn't we saying good-bye to Yoochun?” she mentioned as we were about to pass by his unit.

“Oh right.”

 

I dropped my bags and gently knocked on his door, “Yoochun ah, are you awake? We’re about to leave.”

I waited for a few seconds but no one opened the door nor responded. I guess he’s still sleeping.

 

“Never mind, it seems like he is still sleeping, let’s not disturb him. Let’s go.” My mom stated pushing me towards the stairs.

 

“Mrs. Lee, Minah, good morning!” Hyekyo enthusiastically greeted.

“I am so glad your mom allowed you to come with us.” I beamed at her.

“Nado. I thought she would not say ‘yes’ I was so nervous.” My friend replied.

 

“By the way where’s Yoochun?” she wondered.

“He is sleeping.” My mom responded.

 

“Ajusshi, could you kindly help us with our bags?” I asked for assistance.

 

The kind mister helped us put the bags in the trunk and minutes later we were on our way. This is the day! I’m just filled with so much excitement; for once we can have a real vacation. I held my angel necklace, “Appa , thank you and keep us safe.”

 

We arrived at the airport just in time for check-in. We got all our bags out and on a cart and paid the driver.

 

“What took you so long?” a familiar voice uttered from behind.

I spun around and to my surprise Park Yoochun was standing there with his disguise on.

 

“Yoochun, what are you doing here?!” I questioned as we all drew near him. He acknowledged my mom and Hyekyo before answering me with a, “I am coming with.” That was the only time I noticed his bags.

 

“Wow you’re coming along? That’s awesome!” Hyekyo blurted.

 

“B-but how?” I just had to ask.

 

“Paid the plane ticket with my own money… I can’t let you leave for Jeju and have all the fun. Besides I needed a vacation too.” He cleared his throat.

 

Duh Minah, of course he has money.

 

“Won’t people know who you are and where you are heading?” I got curious.

“I paid them double to keep the whole trip a secret.” He arrogantly uttered.

 

“Yah, you are bribing people with your money now?” I folded my arms.

“Shh.” The damned star wanted me to come closer and then pursued, “Of course not. I just want to keep things discrete.”

 

“Alright then.” I gave up.

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Omo Minah we are here!” Hyekyo shouted.

“I know!” I answered.

“It was my first time riding a plane too, it was so much fun!” she added.

“Nado!” I agreed.

 

“Girls behave. Keep your composure, remember Yoochun is right here.” my mom kind of scolded us.

                Hyekyo and I had to stop our mini celebration again because of Yoochun.

 

“Oh, look isn’t that our ?” my mom pointed at a small brand new looking car with a man standing in front of it holding a sign with the contest title printed. The three of us rushed to it while the damned star slowly trailed behind.

 

“Hello!” we all greeted.

“Are you the contest winners?” the man asked.

“Deh!” I replied immediately.

 

“Who among you is Lee Minah?” he questioned.

“I am Lee Minah.” I stated as I brought out part of the raffle ticket and a few more evidences.

The man keenly scanned the papers, “Alright. Please load your things inside the car.”

 

We all enthusiastically nodded and began placing our things inside with his help. Although the man soon noticed Yoochun who was waiting there, “Wait, this trip is only for three, right? How come you have another friend here?” he wondered.

 

“Oh, he just came along but he paid for everything with his own money.” I clarified.

“Really...but he can’t come with you in the car. I was strictly told to only drive the winner and those who she invited with her.” He explained.

 

“What?!” Yoochun protested.

“I am sorry sir, but that was an order.” The man apologized.

 

The damned star crossed his arms, “Fine. I’ll just take a cab.”

“Thank you for understanding sir.” He bowed his head.

 

“Let’s get going?” the man suggested.

 

I went to Yoochun, “Just tell the cab driver to follow the car.” I instructed.

“Yeah I know what to do.” He aarrogantly answered.

 

I smiled at him and hopped in the vehicle.

“Is he going to be alright?” my mom was concerned.

 

“Of course mom, he can handle himself.” I assured.

 

The car passed by so many sceneries along the way. It was just so breathtaking. The flowers and trees at one side and the picturesque blue sea on the other. It gave me good chills. The whole island is one beautiful creation. If only I could, I wish to live here when I get older.

 

Meanwhile Hyekyo and my mother were so amazed that they just had to take pictures of the views. I am glad to see my mom smiling so brightly again, it has been years.

 

“Have a nice stay.” The man wished and then bid farewell.        

 

The nice ahjussi slowly drove away. I turned around and such a huge hotel greeted us. We all scurried inside the moment we laid eyes on it. The lobby was very spacious, hanged with stunning chandeliers, chic furniture, and lovely glass windows, well-lighted, simply elegant. I could run out of adjectives to describe the whole lobby alone. 

 

“Minah, this place is so classy.” My mom stated as she enclosed me in a tight embrace.

“Thank you dear.” She added.

 

“You are welcome mom. This vacation is really for you, you deserve it.” I uttered.

 

“Aish.” I heeded the damned star mutter.

 

I instantly let go and glared at him, “Hey you rude person. Could you please stop ruining our moments?” I requested with much assertion.

 

“Yeah!” Hyekyo agreed lightly slapping his arm, “Just because you have been to hotels like this you don’t have to be a joy-killer.” Yoochun gaped back at me and then looked away.

 

“Anyway Umma, why don’t we check in already so you could rest a bit before we go to some tourist spots in the itinerary.” I suggested.

“Alright.” She agreed following me to the front desk.

 

We did all the procedures needed to be done, and then we were escorted to our room along with our bags.

 

“Here is your room ma’am.” The bellboy directed and opened the door for us.

 

He bought in our things and thought us on how to operate the appliances inside. We all settled down and looked around our room.   

 

“You could see the sea from here!” Hyekyo exclaimed as she looked out the window.

“This is a really nice room too.” My mom added.

 

“Oh right, why don’t we go check on Yoochun?” my best friend reminded.

“He said he got the a room in this floor too right? Let us go visit him.” My mom stated.

 

I nodded, “You go and rest mom, me and Hyekyo will check Yoochun.” and then we proceeded out the carpeted hallway.

 

“What did he say his room number was?” I asked as we checked the doors.

“Something like 536?” my friend assumed.

 

“Here, 536.” I blurted.

“Then go knock on the door already.” She ordered.

“Okay, okay! Why are you in such a hurry.” I followed.

 

I gently knocked on his door and he soon opened it, “What?”

 

“May we come in?” Hyekyo asked popping from behind my back.

The damned star looked at us from head to toe before letting us in. Like a little kid Hyekyo jumped around the bigger and more spacious room.

 

“This is unfair! You got a larger room than us.” She stated as she pouted her lips.

“Of course.” He scoffed.

“You could have just gotten us a bigger room too.” She stated.

“Hyekyo, stop it.We just won a contest package, what they give us is what we get.”

“Araso.”my friend nodded meekly.

 

“Oh yeah, we’ll go around the area. Do you like to come with us??” I questioned the star.

“Sure.” He instantly agreed, “I’ll just get change, wait for me.” He politely added.

 

When the damned star got in his bathroom slash dressing room, Hyekyo came up to me, “Wow, he seems a lot nicer now, you’re doing a good job Minah.” She praised.

 

“If you only knew what I had to go through to get him to be that kind.” I laughed.

 

As we waited for Yoochun I took a look around his place and found a piece of paper with lyrics on his coffee table. I was about to read it when he got out. I soon turned my attention to him.

 

“Let’s go.” He beamed.

 

We had a leisure walk around the hotel’s amenities and had a mini tour of Jeju’s lovely views. Afterwards we ate our dinner at the establishment’s restaurant and stayed there for a while after the meal. My mom and Hyekyo just had so many questions for the star and Yoochun just kept on answering those he could answer. While they were busy I excused myself, I had that urge of wanting to be alone.

 

I dropped by the hotel’s café and bought myself coffee. I got out the terrace of the coffee shop to relax as I drank my hot beverage. My eyes were suddenly forming tears. I could not help but think about my late father. He promised us that he would take us here and have fun. Every day of his life he worked hard to keep that promise. There were times he came home with a high fever for overworking. He abused his body too much just to make us happy. I never heard him complain about how difficult it was for him. I told him it was alright for us not to go to this place, since he was suffering so much for it, but he wanted to give us the best in life so he continued. Although, he grew weaker day by day… then he got really ill. Months later, he left us.

 

                My dad would be really glad if he was here with his family. I feel so bad that he wasn’t able to visit this wonderful place.  I couldn’t fully enjoy it without his company. Abuji… I-I miss you. I held my angel necklace tight as water voluntarily poured down my cheeks. I barely finished my coffee because I was occupied with crying.

 

“Hey…” I suddenly heeded Yoochun’s voice.

 

I tried to keep of what’s left of my composure and faced him.

 

The star’s ebony eyes widened as he saw me weeping. “W-what’s wrong?” he wondered, not knowing what to do with me.

“Yoochun.” I muttered.

“You can cry?” he drew closer.

 

I sniffled and weakly glared at him. What a jerk, but I felt like I was going to explode any minute so I just had to cry out loud. I let my head fall carelessly on his chest and wept more. The star flinched a bit, “Aish. Why won’t you tell me what’s wrong?” he insisted.

 

I continued crying and ignored him. He eventually stopped asking and gave me a tight embrace instead. Yoochun patted my back until I was done with my sobbing. He soon let me go and wiped my tears for me.

 

I should be hearing a comforting statement from him but all he said was, “You look funny when you cry.” and laughed.

 

I carried on drying my moist face with my free hand as I glared at him.

 

He raised his hands up and stated, “Just sayin’.”

 

I sighed and glanced away.

 

Yoochun cleared his throat, “Let me guess, you’re thinking about your father?”

I scoffed, “Maybe…”

“Who else would you be crying over? That Sungjae guy?”

 

“No way!” I denied instantly.

“So it is your father.” He replied but I kept silent.

 

“Whatever that is you are thinking about you better disregard it for now and just have fun.” He suggested.

“I can’t neglect my thoughts about my dad.”

 

“Alright. Could you just fix yourself up? Your mom asked me to look for you and if they saw you like that, they might think I made you cry or something. I don't want to be the bad guy here.” He requested putting his hands up like he was getting arrested or something.

“Araso.”

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Let’s go girls.” My mom stated pushing us out the hotel room.

 

“We should go to the spa first then take the tour.” Hyekyo suggested and my mom and I agreed. We were about to leave when we saw Yoochun coming towards us.

 

“Are you going somewhere? I was wondering if you guys want to go cycling together. It’s a good way to see the rest of the island.” the star recommended.

 

The three of us looked at each other, not knowing what to say. Then both my friend and my mother gave each other nonverbal signals then gaped at me.

 

“You go Minah!” my friend pushed me towards Yoochun.

“What are you saying? He invited all of us.” I wondered.

“I am too old to ride bicycles, dear. You should just go accompany Yoochun.” She winked at me.

“See you later.” Hyekyo bid good-bye and they both hurriedly fled.

 

Seriously? What are they up to? I draw my attention back to the dumbfounded star.

 

“Well, I was originally going to invite only you, so you won’t ever cry like that yesterday while you are here in Jeju, but I would look bad if I did not ask your mom and your friend. So are you coming?” he spoke up.

 

“You want to cheer me up?”

 

“Duh, what else?” he mocked.

 

“So are you coming along or not?” he questioned.

 

“Yes?” I gave out an unsure answer.

 

“Let’s get going then, while it is still early.”

 

Park Yoochun became my own personal tour guide as we cycled around the tourist spots in Jeju since he has been here a few times. True enough he was able to cheer me up. It is very sweet of him actually. I was pretty surprised he had that kind of concern towards me. He tried his best to make me laugh by making funny faces and gestures, while he was joking around. I feel enlightened now. Before we came back at the hotel, we visited a nearby beach and rested there.

 

This is the life!” the damned star shouted as if he was a prisoner who got out of jail.

I find the ‘shouting-to-nowhere’ fun so I tried it too, “Gomawo(Thank you) Park Yoochun!” I freely blurted.

 

The star can’t help but turn to me. I looked back at him and shot him my most sincere smile and repeated, “Gomawo, Park Yoochun.” He chuckled then gazed away. Yoochun is not that rude person after all. I guess I finally got him out of that depressed state. He is becoming himself again. I am proud.

 

“If I see you cry again… you’re dead.” He warned.

“Sir yes, sir!” I mimicked those military men I see in movies and dramas.

 

“You look better when you are smiling, plus you wearing the headband…” he uttered as he focused his sight at the clear light blue water.

 

“Hey, I smile often… and do I look that horrible without the headband.” I curiously asked as I caressed it.

“You do, but that was the most genuine smile I’ve seen from you,” he pursued, “and of course you wearing what I gave you makes you look less terrible.”

 

I don’t know if I should take his last statement as a compliment or not. When he says nice things, he balances it out with insulting comments too. Aish.

 

“So I should be thankful that you gave me this?”

 

“Yup like how I am thankful for meeting you--” Yoochun realized he got too carried away and cleared his throat, “I’ve said too much.” He ended and awkwardly glanced at a different direction.

 

I suddenly bit my lips to hide my grin. To save the conversation, I changed the subject, “You know, my dad used to bring us to beaches like this when I was still a child and we were fond of collecting weird looking shells.” I shared.

 

The damned star laughed, “That’s a very odd hobby. What would you get from those kinds of seashells?”

 

“They are unique.” I answered shortly and our chat halted there. The silence just led us to appreciate our surroundings. We then headed back to the hotel at dusk just in time before it the rain came pouring down.

 

Hyekyo happily greeted us at the hallway as a sort of peace offering for leaving me alone with Yoochun.

“How was it?” she wondered.

“It was fun.” I stated, while the damned star just stood there.

“That’s good to hear…” my friend continued, “Oh, hey Minah this is the first time I saw you not wearing your necklace.”

“Huh?” I panicked and touched the area where my necklace used to fall on.

 

“B-but I know I wore it this morning.” I stuttered.

“Are you sure?” my friend reassured.

“Yes.”

 

“Yoochun.” I called out, “It must have fallen off while we were riding the bike. I-I need to go back and look for it.” I had to pause at every word trying to keep myself sane.

 

“It’s just a cheap necklace, let’s just go buy you a new one.” He ignorantly answered.

 

“I don’t care if it is cheap. I told you before it is very important to me! Why do you have to be so oblivious?!” I yelled at him not being able to keep my cool.

 

He sighed, “You can’t leave. It is really raining hard outside, they won’t allow you to go back and look for your necklace.”

 

“If I don’t find it now, I might never see it again.” I reasoned.

 

“It’s too dangerous.” He stated forcing himself not to raise his voice at me.

“I rather die looking for it than lose it without doing anything.”

“Why are you so stubborn?” he retorted.

 

“What’s going on here?” my mom got out of our hotel room.

“Mom, I lost dad’s necklace. I will go look for it.” I said asking for permission.

Her brows met, “You can’t leave dear, the down pour is too strong.”

 

“Why can nobody understand how that thing is very significant to me?!’ I shouted and walked away.

 

Hyekyo followed me all the way down to the lobby, “Minah. Please… Let’s just look for it tomorrow.” She begged. All I could do was glare at her. “How about this? We go look for whoever is incharge here and ask for help.” She suggested.

 

I soon calmed down and agreed to her advice. So we did look for help, but all they told us was to wait until tomorrow. The hotel will call for assistance and aid us in finding my necklace… tomorrow. It is really nice of them to do so but I can’t wait for tomorrow. We came up our room, my heart torn into a million pieces. I feel like crying, but my tears won’t seem to cooperate with me. Then I remembered Yoochun's words back at the beach. I shouldn't cry again.

 

Before we came in Hyekyo stopped me, “Minah… Why don’t you apologize to Yoochun or something?  Even though he was a bit ignorant, he just wanted you to be safe.” My friend proposed.

 

I guess I was harsh on Yoochun. I didn’t mean to, I was just so frustrated plus he was not careful with his words. I slightly nodded my head and we proceeded to his room. We knocked a few times but no one was answering. We called him but he was out of reach… Aish, was he that offended?

 

“Let’s just say sorry to him tomorrow.” She stated.

“Alright.”

 

As soon as we got in my mom rushed to me, “Is Yoochun back?”

My eyebrows crossed, “Huh? Back from where?” I put on a puzzled expression.

 

“When you came down he told me to stop you if ever you are still planning to go look for your necklace and then he ran towards the elevator.” She narrated.

 

“Omo, maybe he went searching for it?” Hyekyo assumed.

 

“You are probably right Hyekyo. Oh, gosh why didn’t I stop him?” my mother regretted. In an instant I felt what Yoochun must have been feeling a while back.

 

“Shouldn’t we go run after him? He might get into trouble?” I asked, anxiety surrounding my tone.

“Oh no dear. It is still too risky. We should just inform the hotel and wait until he gets back.” My mom uttered.

“I hope he is alright.” Hyekyo added.

 

We got down the lobby again and questioned if they saw Yoochun, as we described his features. He wasn’t in his disguise so I bet he was easily recognized, but we requested to keep everything discrete.

 

The manager disseminated it to the staff and a bellboy notified us that he saw a man running out the hotel asking for any type of vehicle. Nothing was available so he settled for a bicycle, even if the bellboy and the other employees tried to stop him. He was so persistent that they weren’t able to hold him back and he got away. The hotel staff instantly reported it to the police and they are now looking for him.

 

Aish. Park Yoochun. Where the heck are you? Why are you making me worry so much? 

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

 

Author's Note:

Chapter 8! I am amazed I am updating faster than I expected. Anyway, still hoping you are liking the story. Please comment and subscribe! This fic is almost coming to an end so watch out for that. Thank you for reading! <3 ;)