Sheet 3

Damned Star

 

Sheet 3

 

 

“Hey Yoochun, can you play a song on your grand piano?”

“Pretty please?” I added begging the star.

 

He rolled his eyes at me, “I don’t play anymore.” He reasoned. I folded my arms, “Yeah right.”

 

We both stared at each other for a whole minute before he gave in to my request.

“Oh alright.” He agreed removing all the random stuff off the musical instrument. He took a music sheet out from one of his drawers. Yoochun asked me to take a seat and preceded to the grand piano’s chair. He slowly settled on the piano stool’s velvet surface. He placed the sheet on the music rack while taking a deep breath before putting up the fall to uncover the keyboard. Park Yoochun caressed the keys; he cleared his throat and began hitting random notes for a super short warm-up.

 

I just watched him prepare himself. I do hope my sudden idea would make him actually feel better. I saw him glance at me for a second and then he started playing.

 

            He sighed, ♫“Staring at an empty seat, watching all those memories fade. I will truly miss… I wanted to cherish them, I couldn’t… I can’t hold it in my arms. Oh I’m looking at an empty seat now that you are gone. ”

 

“I wanted you back, but my mind says otherwise, I want you back, make more precious memories. I want my old life back. Oh~ was I worth something to you? Was I ever someone to you?”

 

As he went along, I felt his pain, the hurting he is going through. He really loves her former girlfriend. Now I’m wondering what happened. Even though it is a sad song it’s kind of soothing to the ears. I feel relaxed in a way.

 

“A vacant seat, I long to be occupied again, my heart just feels empty, so empty without you. I’ll stay here until you return. No one is going to move me, I’ll wait for you—

 

“Stop. You can stop now.” I instantly cut him off. Seeing him teary-eyed broke my heart. He looked so helpless, like a kid who is lost and can’t find his mother. This idea is not so good. I mentally slapped myself for the failure.  

   

I strode towards him, “Did you write and compose that song recently?” I questioned. Yoochun nodded his head.

“I got to be honest with you… For someone who makes ‘non-sense’ songs this one is pretty good.” I uttered.

“Really?” I saw his face brighten up a bit.

 

I clasped my hands, “Well, it needs a little more polishing though.” The star was drawn back to the keyboard after my suggestion. “It doesn’t’ mean I don’t like it, just needs a tiny adjustment.” I added acting like I truly know music.

 

“You are just one person who thinks it is a good song. What matters is what the public and those agencies think.” He stated with so much anger. I couldn’t think of anything else to make him feel better so I had to look away.

 

Come on Lee Minah, do something!

 

My mind was blank. No more ideas. Nothing. Ugh. This is frustrating. I can’t help but frown.

 

“What’s wrong?” Yoochun was actually concerned.

 

I smiled, “Nothing.” 

 

I saw Park Yoochun’s lips form a shy smile. After all the failed attempts that made my day…

 

Suddenly, I heard my phone ringing. I rushed to my bag and fished it out, “Hello?”

“Minah? Where are you? It’s getting late.” It's my mom who is on the other line. I looked at my wrist watch and realized it was late. “Sorry mom I’ll be home in a few minutes. I’m already in front of the apartment house.” I instantly hanged up.

 

“Sorry mom.” I whispered.

 

“Who was that?” Yoochun wondered as he stood up.

“I need to go.” I said as I gathered my stuff.  

 

“Good.” He folded his arms. Here comes his rudeness again.

 

“Okay. Goodbye then.” I muttered heading towards the front door. I hopped out the hallway and I did not dare look back.  I closed the door and began making faces.

 

“Aish.” I scratched my head.

“Minah?!” I heard my mom shout from inside our unit. I kicked the damned star’s door to get back for his rudeness. I glared at the wooden object for the last time and made my way home.     

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

 

“Yoochun?” I voiced out as I entered his unit. His door was open so I gladly welcomed myself in. I searched for the star and found him lying on the floor sound asleep with a bottle of Soju on his hand.

 

I can’t help but feel bad for him, although I didn’t bother waking him up. I was looking around the messy place and found myself staring at the piano. I suddenly had a big grin on my face.

 

I hopped towards the instrument and caressed it with both hands. I shamelessly sat on the stool and uncovered the keyboard. I cleared my throat and started playing 2NE1’s ‘Lonely’ which Hyekyo taught me the other day, at least I’m proud to say I could play at least one song. I could barely remember everything but I just played it to my utmost ability.

 

♫ “Jigeum naega haneun yaegineol apeuge halji molla, ama nal jukdorok miwohage doel kkeoya…”

♫  “Baby I’m so lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely…”

♫ “Cuz I'm just another girl, I bami werowo nan--”

 

As soon as I heard a groan, I knew Yoochun was awake. I suddenly halted from playing and stood up from the stool.


“What are you doing?” I barely heard his soft voice, it took me a while before answering back, “Uhm nothing.” I acted innocent even if I know it is obvious I touched his ‘baby’. He carelessly strode towards me with his blood-shot eyes glaring at me.

Okay, wrong move Lee Minah.
 

“I’m not stupid to see you laid hands on my baby.” He stated resting his hands on its flat surface.

 

He reeked alcohol, even if he wasn’t standing too close to me, his scent traveled my direction.

“Sorry I couldn’t help it, I really don’t play the piano but Hyekyo taught me a piece to play the other day. I wanted to see if I still remembered it.” I easily confessed to him not even trying to deny his accusation once.

 

I can’t believe I am that easy.

 

“You should have asked permission from me first.” He uttered groggily pointing his finger at me.

 

“If I asked, would you even let me use it?” I questioned crossing my arms.
 

“No.” he instantly replied.

 

“See! Even if I asked you, you still won’t allow me.” I raised an eyebrow.

“It’s for formality and respect towards the owner.” He retorted giving me attitude.

 

I hung my head low, “Well you got a point there.” as my voice turned milder.

 

“Now leave.” He ordered as his hands gestured the way towards his front door.

 

“But… But I was gonna invite you to the park.”

 

“What for?” his tone became more frightening like he was ready to eat me alive.

 

“So you could breathe in fresh air for once and see nature!” I tried my best to sound very inviting.

 

Yoochun rolled his eyes at me and left me waiting for an answer. He strode away to his ‘haven’ –his kitchen refrigerator– where his cans and bottles of beer and Soju were kept. He sluggishly took a cold can out and drank it in just two gulps. I rushed to him and stopped him from grabbing another, “It’s bad to drink beer so early and besides you haven’t eaten anything yet. Are you trying to kill yourself by drowning your body with so much alcohol?”

 

“That’s the plan,” he stated as if my short lecture did not affect him at all.

 

He’s so stubborn. It is really frustrating to see someone just waste his life like this. If only I could slap him a million times just to channel out what I’m feeling. I know I have no right to feel this way, I don’t know him truly, I’m not related to him in blood nor am I his friend. I’m just a girl who is currently having this meddling problem. Thinking I was destined to do this ‘task’ assigned to me by fate, by destiny. I sometimes hate myself for having this mentality and this urge to help out others to the point that I am interfering with their lives without permission.

 

As I was reflecting to myself, I noticed Yoochun grabbing a can even though I stopped him. I instinctively slapped the can right off his hand and unto dirty floor. He gave me a puzzled look, “What now?!”

 

“Come on Yoochun, don’t do this. Don’t show people from a star you became some low-life.” I uttered with force trying to talk some sense out of him.

 

“What do you know? Why do you care? It is my life and I will live it the way I want to.” He said. I can’t comprehend his real emotion. I could not determine what expression was written all over his face. I was left speechless. Well, I had no answer in the first place. With my silence he allowed himself to continue, “You don’t know what I have been through. I-I never wish for life to be this harsh to me. It was not my fault… I-it was hers. It was her who made me like this.”

 

It was hers. I instantly cut him off after hearing that statement, “It was your own choice if you would let that break-up destroy you. Yes, it might hurt so much that it becomes unbearable, but it was your choice, if you would let it get to you and control your life.”

 

Yoochun remained still and quiet.

 

“If you wanted to quit singing because of so much emotional stress... It was your choice. The reason why you are living so miserably right now was because you chose to. That is why I am here, to help you out. I am assuming no one dared to lend you a hand because you drove them away with that attitude of yours, that’s why no one helped you hang on, when you were on the edge of a cliff, when you needed a shoulder to cry on, when you needed a friend.”

 

Yoochun, for the first time got that genuine look in his eyes, something that took my breath away. I felt this wall between us slowly crumbling down. I was able to touch his cold heart, at least a bit. His head hung low as his tears of helplessness fell on the floor.

 

I drew closer to him and patted his back, “I might be someone who rudely barged in your life… but I want you to know I am willing to help you. You don’t need all those vices, you just need someone to listen and understand you.” I smiled at him even if he can’t see it. I felt so happy knowing I have made him realize that he has a problem. Soon enough he will be well-off like he used to be when he still had his career.

                                  

I am not sure if I could pull this off but I will do my best.

 

~•~•~•~•~