Sheet 2

Damned Star
 

 

Sheet 2

 

 

“Park Yoochun?!”

 

The Park Yoochun? Am I dreaming?

 

I mentally slapped myself.  

 

“Aish.” He groaned in pain and carefully sat up and massaged his aching back. I childishly crawled up to him, “I’m sorry, I did not mean to make you fall hard on your back. I just wanted to help.” I stated my voice cracking in the end. I suddenly felt guilty for what had happened. Well, it was way better than him dying anyway.

 

Yoochun’s brows met and his eyes gave me a deadly glare, “I don’t need your help.” He arrogantly stood up and dusted off his clothes. He was about to march towards the edge again but I grabbed his leg, embracing it tight, “Yah! Please don’t jump. It’s not the end of the world just because your girlfriend broke up with you.” I uttered wishing he would finally stop this craziness.

 

After a second he halted, “You don’t know how it feels.”

 

Oops. That was a huge foul. You and your mouth Lee Minah! I mentally slapped myself once more.

 

“Just don’t jump please, I’m begging you.” I cried sounding desperate.

 

“Why do you care so much anyway? I don’t know you personally and you don’t know me. ” he blurted trying to kick me off his leg. I lost grip and fell on the rough cement. “Ouch.” I whispered nursing my hands that broke the fall. I gaped and saw that he was waiting for my answer. I helped myself up and fixed my messy hair. I gulped, “I just care.” I let out a short answer.

 

Park Yoochun gave me a weird look as he crossed his arms, “Have you ever heard of the statement… Mind your own business...”  

“…and you just can’t care for a person you don’t know. It’s like you’re giving your trust to a stranger.”

 

He is right.

 

I hung my head low. Awkward air brushed throughout the surroundings. I looked up and we stared at each other for a few seconds. I soon broke the uncomfortable wall.

 

I took a step forward, “Look, it is true that I don’t know how you are feeling right now, but as a person you shouldn’t throw your life away just like that. Think about the other people who love you and care for you. Stay alive for them. Be strong.” I uttered my ‘noble’ speech. I hope this convinces him not to continue his suicide attempt.

 

He shot me a blank but creepy stare. I don’t know, it just gave me the shivers. I had to look back down for the second time to escape the tension. I heard him sigh and in reflex my head flew up. I saw his irritated face and I threw him a huge smile.

 

Yes! I think I finally convinced him. I started partying in my head.

 

For a moment there I felt like I was wonder woman or some super hero; I actually ‘saved’ someone’s life. I was grinning to myself when I heeded him saying, “Goodnight,” still in an irritated manner and walked away. I sheepishly followed the star Park Yoochun, “You’re not going to kill yourself anymore?” I asked him a very frank question while my eyes glistened with so much happiness.

 

He stopped and looked back. He scanned me from head to toe and chuckled. I guess he finds my question funny? Yoochun faced front and continued walking not entertaining my question, and I trailed behind him. He unexpectedly stopped again, causing me to bump on him. He glanced down to his shoes and lifted his right foot.

 

He bended down and grabbed something shiny. He turned around, “Is this yours?” he held my necklace high. I instantly felt like vomiting, he fearlessly touched my angel necklace that the rat chewed on. Well, he doesn’t know a pest munched on it anyway. I can’t help but show him a disgusted visage.

 

“So?” he said swaying the jewelry in front of my face. I nodded to confirm that it was mine. Before returning it he took a better look, after a second he handed me my priced possession. I hesitated to touch it at first; I grasped it slowly blurting out an, “Eww,” then placed it inside my pajama’s pocket. I immediately wiped my hands on my clothes.

 

“What’s with the, ‘eww’ for?” he stated mimicking my reaction and my voice, it wasn't done so well I might add.

“Nothing.” I said in a sing-song tone.

He clicked his tongue, “You’re plain weird,” and strode downstairs.

 

“Wait for me!” I rushed inside.

 

Like a little girl I tagged along Yoochun’s side. I was just staring at him the whole time. I’m still star struck. Who knew he was actually living in this crummy apartment house?

 

“Uhm, Yoochun... Uhm, sir.” I stated formally, “Since when did you move in this building?”

 

“Last, last week.” He stated coldly. “Oh.” I scratched my head.

 

I bit my lips, “So where do you live?”

 

“Right here. Now leave me alone.” He said shooing me away with the use of his hands.

“Wow! We are neighbors! Our unit is just a few steps from here.” I pointed at the door of our unit, acting like I was a huge fan of him,  

He laughed mocking me, “Good to know.” He uttered with sarcasm.

 

Yoochun twisted the door knob, entered without looking back and shut it hard right at my face.

 I froze in place.

 

That was rude. He is not thankful I saved his life? I crossed my arms at the thought.

 

I heeded the door open again and my face brightened up.

“What’s your name?” Yoochun asked while peeking out from his unit.

“Lee Minah.” I replied instantly.

 

“Lee Minah” he continued, “Never… I repeat, never tell anyone I live here. Got that?” he ended.

 

I nodded my head frantically.

“Alright. Goodnight.” He stated and before I could say a ‘Goodnight’ back he slammed the door on me again.

Is he really this rude?  

 

Anyway, I wonder why he’s ‘hiding’ in here.  He could have hid someplace else like some other country at least he’d be living the fancy life.

      

       Before I took a step towards our unit I shouted, “How about saying a ‘thank you’ for saving your life?!” I heard the door open once more, he peeped out, “I didn’t want you to save my life.” He said. My lips frowned and I turned my back on him. He’s one ill-mannered guy that’s for sure.    

 

I was halfway down the hall Park Yoochun’s voice echoed, “Uhm. Thanks.”

I continued from my walking and acted like I did not hear anything. I briskly leaped my way to our unit. After getting inside my lips formed a beam. “That’s a start.” I whispered.

 

“Dear~” my mom called out. I ran to her and found her still looking for the mouse trap.

I laughed, “Mom its okay. I got my necklace back. The rat is also nowhere to be found.”

“Oh, okay.” My mother wiped the sweat forming on her forehead.

 

“I’ll get you some water.” I suggested and proceeded to the kitchen. I took a plastic cup in the grocery bag and grabbed the pitcher of water on the table. I gave it to my tired mom as she walked across the living room.

 

After taking one big gulp of the water I gave her she asked me a question, “Who were you talking to outside?”

Park Yoochun’s threatening face flashed back in my mind and his words sounded annoyingly loud in my ear drums.

“No one! I was talking to myself.” I forced a smile.

 

“Okay then. You weren’t bitten by the rat right?” she queried.

“No. Why?”

“You’re acting a bit weird, like you’re hiding something from me.” She stated as she dropped the cup on the counter.

 

“Psshh. No way mom.” I slapped her arm and she raised an eyebrow.

 

“Okay mom, goodnight!” I hurried back to my room and locked the door. Whew that was close!

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

The sun’s rays heated my cold body as I was on my way to work. I tried pinching my cheeks for the last time. I had been doing so all night. I just couldn’t believe I really saw and had a conversation with the Park Yoochun!

 

I was spazzing like an obsessed fan girl. There were so many things that came to mind as I lay on my bed that night.

Project Yoochun~! Project Yoochun is the title of my plan to make the star feel better and forget about his bad break-up. I know it’s cheesy. I know I shouldn’t in; however I really wanted to help the poor guy. It was like I met him for a reason. Destiny met us up…something like that. It was actually weird how I got this attached to him. I really am weird too now that think about it.

 

Life and its unexpected events...

 

I stared at the shop’s exterior before getting inside. My gal friend Hyekyo saw me and opened the locked glass door.

“Good morning~!” her cheerful voice greeted me as I stepped inside the premises. Instead of replying, I just shot her a shining smile. I instantly headed towards the back room and placed my things on the small couch. I went to the coffee machine located at one corner and started re-heating the brown-ish liquid.

 

Hyekyo hopped in the room and I asked her if she wanted coffee. She signaled a ‘no’ with her head and I continued preparing for my hot drink.

 

“So did you guys finish moving in yesterday?” my best friend asked leaning on the counter top.

“Nope.” I answered pouring my coffee in my mug. She clicked her tongue, “I told you I should have helped. So you could actually settle in that crummy apartment house.” She stated pinching my cheek close to her grasp. “Ow.” I reacted meekly. I took a step back and dropped the coffee carafe on the warming plate of the machine. I looked at her with puppy dog eyes and nursed my sore cheek.

 

“Something came up okay.” I continued, taking a sip on my brew.

“Did you and your mom fight?” She folded her arms and I frowned, “No.”

 

“Then what?!” she wondered.

 

Should I tell her? Tell her I saw Park Yoochun? The guy we were talking about yesterday, living at the apartment house I moved in and tried to kill himself late last night? I think she might not believe me if I told her anyway.

 

“Hello! Lee Minah? Can you hear me?” my friend called my attention for I was lost in my thoughts.

“Are you there?” she lightly knocked on my head.

“Stop it.” I chuckled, “Sorry I just remembered something.” I apologized and drank from my mug.

“So what was that ‘something’?” she uttered continuing our broken conversation.

 

“Oh, uhm I saw a rat last night.” I replied trying to finish my coffee before the opening of the store. “A rat?” she raised her eyebrow as her hands naturally fell to her sides. “You didn’t try to shoo it away?” she added even before I could speak.

“Well…” I was speechless.

 

Yoochun clearly stated I shouldn’t tell it to anyone. Heck my mom didn’t even know I met him and know where he lives. I bit my lips. Hyekyo was waiting for my answer. I heartily engulfed the coffee to stall.

 

Come on Lee Minah! Make up your mind already! Aish this is difficult. I think my brain would explode from all this thinking!

 

“Yes I shooed it away…sort of.” I finally gave out a straight answer.

“What was the problem then?” she queried.

 

Wow, is it me or is Hyekyo extra curious today? I dropped my empty mug and went out front to officially open the store while she trailed behind me. I put up the ‘open’ sign and unlocked the glass door. I went towards the counter to check the cash register. She still followed and put on an I’m-waiting-for-an-answer face.

 

Two customers suddenly entered and we both greeted them warmly.

 

Anyway… Maybe I should tell her? I know I can trust my best friend, not that I don’t trust my mom. It’s just that she really isn’t familiar with Yoochun. Besides I feel like my heart is about to burst right at this moment, unless I tell it to someone.

 

“Hyekyo promise me you won’t tell anyone,” I stated looking straight into her eyes. “Umm. Sure, what is it anyway?” she said as she drew closer to me. “Please keep this a secret.” I added. She nodded and I continued,“You see I saw Park Yoochun last night.”

 

“Really where?!” she queried as her eyes widened in excitement.

“He is actually living in one of the units at the apartment house.”

 

“Oh my gosh! Park Yoochun lives at your apartment house?!” Hyekyo accidentally blurted out, broadcasting it to the two customers plus those who just got in can’t help but turn their attention to us.

“Of course not Hyekyo!” my eyes shot her a glare as I covered , “That would be impossible. He won’t dare live in a cheap apartment house!” I shouted to keep their attention away from us.

 

“I told you to keep it a secret.” I muttered peeling off my hand on her face.

 

“Sorry about that.” She stated bowing her head a little.

 

Before we could continue our conversation a customer asked for assistance. Hyekyo attended to the music shopper and I went back to fixing the cash register.   

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

The day was about to end. Hyekyo and I closed the shop by dusk. As we walked the bright streets leading to her house, she asked me to give more details about the ‘Yoochun incident’. I told her the whole story, although I didn’t know why he wanted his stay at the apartment house a secret. I guess, he needs time to relax?

 

“Can you get me an autograph?” Hyekyo begged me as she intertwined her hands.

“No way, the guy is depressed enough. The last thing he wants to see is an autograph book.” I denied her request.  

“But Minah. My younger sister is a big fan.” She insisted using her little sibling to convince me, however it’s not gonna work. “Sorry. Maybe I’ll get his autograph when he feels better.” I smiled at her.

 

“When will that be?” she sounded so desperate.

“I don’t know.”

 

“Aish. One favor and you won’t do it?” she got disappointed. We stopped right in front of her house.

 

“I’ll make it up to you Hyekyo. I’ll get his signature some other time okay?” I apologized.

She looked down for a while and then glanced back at me, “Alright. Goodnight.” Her voice was faint.

 

Hyekyo slowly went inside her abode and I whispered another, “Sorry.”

 

I wanted to respect Park Yoochun’s personal space. It would really be insulting if I asked him a dedication for Hyekyo’s sister, even if he is ill-mannered. He’s super depressed and doing that would just make things worse. My mission is to make him feel better not drag him further down the dumps.

 

"It is so cold tonight" I whispered, as I escorted myself to my home. I clasped my hands together and warmed my slightly freezing body.  

 

I was nearing my home when I noticed a familiar silhouette walking to my direction. I had a big smile on my face, “Yoochun~!” I shouted as I skipped towards him. The wrapped up man covered my mouth, “Shh! Do you have to shout my name out loud? People might recognize me!” he stated. I removed his cold palm off my lips, “I’m sorry, although you’re not the only Yoochun in Korea.” I reasoned out. “Whatever.” I felt him roll his eyes even if he was wearing shades.

 

“So what are you carrying in that bag?” I asked pretending to be curious.

“Cans of beer...” He let out a frank answer. “You drink?” my question was followed by another question. “Everybody does.” He arrogantly uttered.

“I don’t.” I pouted my lips. “Weird girls like you don’t count.” He voiced as he swayed the beer right at my face. “Hey! Could you stop calling me weird?” I slightly offended.

 

“Okay peculiar girl.” He said walking up the stoop of the building.

“Yah!” I thought for a moment, “That’s like another word for weird!!!” I yelled trailing behind him.

 

 

  ~•~•~•~•~

 

I was still tracing his steps until we reached his unit. After unlocking his door, he looked at me, “Aren’t you going home?”

“Maybe later.” I shot him a beam.

He instantly frowned, “What do you mean by that?”

“I wanna hang out with you.” I replied.

He clicked his tongue. “Who says I want to hang out with you?” His words pierced my heart. Harsh much?

 

“I barely know you.” He added. I looked away. Seconds after, “Look there’s a rat over there!”

Yoochun directed his sight to where I was pointing. I immediately pushed him aside and entered his unit. “Yah!” he shouted.

 

I rushed to his messy couch and sat there, dropping my bag in one corner. The star came in with an annoyed visage, “Get out.”

 

“No.” I stated crossing my arms.

“Fine.” He closed the door behind him. I didn’t know what happened but I can’t believe he gave up that easy.

 

He strode to his kitchen table and placed the cans of beer on it. He grabbed one and opened it immediately. I witnessed him gulp that beer like there was no tomorrow. Whoa. I scanned his place, the walls were unpainted, and the curtains had stains… I also found other empty cans of beer lying around the floor. The smell of the alcohol entered my lungs. I can’t help but question him, “Do you drink every day?”

 

His eyes tried to find me and he replied a, “Yes.” After finishing a can in just minutes he took out another one from its bag and began drinking again. He sat on the other end of the couch and opened the television set. He removed his outer clothing and his shades. I noticed his eyes were a bit swollen and red-ish. I wonder if he cried a while ago.

 

Yoochun found me staring at him, “What?” he stated as stench of strong beer came out of his mouth.

 

I stood up and mercilessly snatched the can off his hand.

“You know you shouldn’t drink your problems away. It’s not going to help you one bit.” I scolded.

“Who cares?” he scoffed hopelessly reaching for his favorite concoction.

 

“Instead of trying to forget your problems why don’t you try facing them?” I walked away from him and placed the moist can on a flat elevated surface.

 

“Yah!” he screamed, startling me.

He ran to me and removed the can off the black table.

“What do you think you’re doing? You’re putting a stain on my grand piano!” he frowned, alcohol still evident from his breath.    

 

I took a closer look. Oh this was a grand piano? It doesn’t look like it since a lot of junk were sitting on it.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized instantly.

 

“Don’t ever do that to my baby ever again!” he continued caressing the object like it was a real human being.

 

Now who’s weird? Piles of trash was actually on it but just placing that can made him go crazy like that? I laughed to myself.

 

He began drinking the beer I took from him once more. Just seeing him like this makes me wonder how much he is hurting inside. He looked pitiful for someone who was once a star.

 

“Hey Yoochun, can you play a song on your grand piano?”

 

~•~•~•~•~