Sheet 4

Damned Star

 

Sheet 4

 

 

“This is the life!” I screamed as my hands were held up high.

 

The warm yet relaxing air surrounding the park, brushed softly on my skin while Yoochun just stood there, with his ears covered.

 

“Get down from there! Don’t make such a fuss, you’re embarrassing me.” The ‘star’ complained, keeping his distance from me pretending he doesn’t know me.

 

     I fixed myself up and folded my arms, “You like an old unfashionable guy, and so you’re the embarrassment here. I shouldn't actually be seen with you around.”  

 

Yoochun grinded his teeth, “Why you--” I stopped his attempted attack on me, “Look, why don’t you try losing the age-old shades and that unflattering beanie.” I suggested taking it off from him.

 

He violently reacted the moment I took his ‘protection’ off.

 

“Yah!” he yelled, “People might recognize me!” he snatched the shades and the beanie from my hands in a snap. I noticed him freeze and silently observed the area.

 

“Wae? (Why)” I asked wondering why he suddenly halted from scolding me.

 

 He sighed, “Usually when I take my ‘disguise’ off in a public place, people would come running towards me.”

 

“Well give it a few more seconds, maybe people are too busy to recognize you that fast.” I replied patting his back as more people came pass us.

 

A few awkward seconds later, no one came to him, they simply passed the star. “I can’t believe this.” He scoffed. “No one actually recognizes me.”

 

“Well, you have been gone in the spotlight for a little while. People can forget easily?” I reasoned, -unsure of my last statement-  scratching my head as I looked away, not having the courage to tell him straight at his face.

 

“That’s impossible. People will not forget me that fast.” He stated with a bit of uneasiness.

 

Park Yoochun cleared his throat repeating the word ‘impossible’ over and over again.

 

I looked down and felt sorry for him. He is obviously in denial right now. Although he is right, people won’t forget someone who just left the music industry, he might not be singing, composing or doing those other things, but he is still making headlines. This is so weird. I admit though, this is a remote place, seldom visited by media, stars and idols. People don’t have that keen eye when it comes to searching for idols. Fortunately enough a small group of teenage girls came up to us.

 

“Oppa, can we take pictures with you?” One of the girls asked timidly as she blushed.

 

I instantly saw Yoochun's lips form a charming smile as his eyes sparkled. I stepped aside to give way and the girls took pictures with him.

 

When they finished another girl spoke up, “Oppa, please take care of yourself, you look really pale and you seem too thin. We want you back. We want to see you on stage again.” She gave the damned star a sweet smile while the others nodded.

 

Yoochun let out a short laugh, “I will try my best.”

 

“Chun oppa, fighting!” they all shouted and sheepishly left the encouraged star.

 

I observed Yoochun’s charming grin turn into a plastered beam. He just can’t stop smiling. Again it was refreshing to see him in that state. It was like I was with an angel--. Rewind! Did I just think of that? Lee Minah, what are you saying? I mentally slapped myself.

 

I was about to say an apology for my earlier statements, when he held my hand and shook it, “Thank you.” He sincerely uttered.

 

I replied with a warm smirk, confused why he was shaking my hand and thanking me.

 

“If you didn’t force me to come along with you at the park, I wouldn’t have experienced this enlivening feeling.” He said, as he continued to shake my hand.

 

Wait a second, is this really the Yoochun I know? It is so… I can’t even describe it.

 

“You’re welcome.” I uttered still puzzled about his sudden change in attitude.

 

He let go, still smiling brightly and started walking away. “Wait for me!” I yelled childishly running towards him.

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

 “He really must be a pain in the neck huh?” Hyekyo stated as she placed a CD bought by a customer in a plastic bag.

 

“Thank you. Come again.” She smiled and bowed at the teenage girl after handing the album. I waited for the girl to leave before answering my friend.

 

When she was out of sight I began talking, “Well, yeah he is such a pain, but yesterday was just so different. I have never seen him like that. It was really surprising.” I stated fixing the cash register.

 

“Maybe someone had hit him in the head or something.” My best friend joked.

 

“Probably... Well the important thing is that I was able to make him happy.” I uttered closing the cash register.

 

“At least that grumpy man knows how to smile.” She giggled walking towards the backroom to gather her belongings.

 

I checked the clock and it was 5 minutes to closing time. I re-arranged the things on the counter and wiped its surface. I removed my name tag and hid it under the counter, to prevent myself from forgetting it at home again the next day. I am usually forgetful about small things like these. I just can’t seem to stick them inside my head.

 

“You should go fix your stuff Minah, I’ll take care of the rest.” My best gal uttered with her shoulder bag on hand.

 

I entered the room and collected my things while she checked what else needs to be checked. I gathered my hair in a ponytail and secured it with a scrunchy. I slid my bag on my shoulder and switched the lights off. I locked the door and looked for Hyekyo.

 

I spotted her near the glass door staring outside. “Hyekyo, did you check everything?” I called out to her.

 

She spun around, “Yeah. We can leave, just turn off the lights here and turn on the ones outside.” She ordered. I nodded my head and did what I was told.

 

I hurried out and we began closing the music store. I was busy securing the last lock when Hyekyo called me, “Yah, Minah.”

 

I attended to her afterwards. “Yup?”  I noticed her gaping at a man, who seemed familiar.

 

I picked up my bag and went closer, “Yoochun.” I stated not expecting to see him.

 

“Hello.” He bowed his head in front of me and Hyekyo, we did the same.

 

Wow, what is going on here?

 

My brows met, “What are you doing here?” I questioned standing beside my friend.

 

“I just wanted to drop by, I’m lucky I was able to find this place. I’m still unfamiliar around here.” He uttered as he beamed at us.

 

My best friend and I couldn’t help but to look at each other.

 

Hyekyo’s eyes were very thrilled to see the star. “Oh my gosh Minah, I can’t believe this.” She muttered.

 

I was lost for words so the star allowed himself to continue, “I want to ask you guys out. Show me around, like a little tour. I wish to be familiar to this town.”

 

“Oh, I would love to but I have plans.” Hyekyo suddenly refused his offer.

 

What is she saying? She really wants to come, I know it. I gave her the what-are-you-doing-look. She signaled to me, that she wants us two alone. I should just make sure I will get her an autograph.

 

I can’t help but blurt out a, “What!?” Yoochun gazed at me with a confused visage.

 

“I-I mean why Hyekyo?” I tried to save my image. “I just can’t come,” was her reply.

 

“I’ll see you some other time. It was nice meeting you Park Yoochun.” She bowed her head and immediately left.

 

I had the oh-no-you-didn’t-look pasted on my face. I can’t believe this, what a friend. I know this is not the first time I was alone with him. However, I just feel awkward tonight, alone, with this guy right here.

 

“Shall we?” Yoochun suggested leaving. I bobbed my head and he led me the way.  

 

We strolled down the busy streets of the town, lighted with street lamps and my hands inside my jeans’ pockets. We passed by restaurants full of people having their dinner. Yoochun and I were just walking for fifteen minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. I didn’t know where my loud side went. This evening is extra cold.

 

“Where do you suggest for us to eat?” he broke the ice. I can’t look at him straight in the eyes like I used to so I gazed away.  

 

“I don’t know.” I honestly stated.

 

I believe Yoochun felt my tension. He is very much talkative today and less rude maybe because he doesn't wish me to experience uneasiness around him.    

 

Then I was saved by the smell of ‘Dokbogki’ wandering about the area. Of course it gave me the idea to drag Yoochun in the nearest place where a stall sells spicy rice cakes. Without any hesitation the damned star tagged along.

 

He was a bit overwhelmed once we got in the street cart, he was just greeted with so many people. And because of that, I barely found us seats to settle on. The moment we found a table, I ordered immediately, calling the busy ajumma. She attended to us shortly after delivering an order. I requested for a large plate of dokbogki and some kimchi and last but not the least, the one that can complete any meal, Soju.

 

I know I keep telling him not to drown himself with alcohol, although tonight I am giving him the liberty to drink a bottle of it not for numbing himself from all the pain but for celebration. Well, just one bottle. And yes, I did say ‘I don’t drink’ to Yoochun, but I was a hypocrite. I was just overwhelmed how many cans were in that plastic bag! I had to make a little white lie so I could discourage him from drinking. Maybe you could call me an occasional drinker, not someone who thinks alcohol is his or her ‘new’ water, like this man right here. I don’t even remember the last time I drank these things. I am not such a big fan of alcohol; I am a huge fan of coffee though.   

 

Anyway, enough about that. Yoochun called my attention, “Hey, Minah! Are you daydreaming? You have been staring at nowhere for a minute now.” He uttered waving his hand right in front of my eyes.

 

“Oh sorry. I was just thinking about something.” I answered.
 


“Don’t tell me you’re thinking of this as a date?” he scoffed.

 

Oh here comes ‘bad’ Park Yoochun. I frowned at him, “You and me on a date? Never!” I disagreed, emphasizing the ‘never’ to make it clear.

 

“Alright then whatever you say.” He soon ended the conversation.

 

Before I could think of anything to retort our food came. The ajumma placed a large plate of steaming hot dokbogki, a plate of kimchi and the Soju. I was enjoying the smell of our food when the star immediately opened the bottle of alcohol and drank straight from the container.

 

“Yah!!!” I yelled at him, “I’m going to have some of that too!”

 

“What do you mean you’re going to have some of this? You don’t drink remember?” Yoochun voiced, dropping the bottle and picking up the chopsticks. He began filling his self up with rice cakes, while I watch him.

 

He had a few bites then I spoke up, “I lied that I don’t drink. I do drink but not as often as you do.” I confessed.

His eyes got wider, “You liar.” He uttered lightly.  

 

“I just wanted to stop you from drinking that much.” I replied.

 

“Come on, drinking is bad for your health.” He continued on stuffing his mouth.

 

My frown was plastered on my face and I did not feel like eating anymore. He can have it all if he wants too. I just didn’t like his tone.

 

Yoochun soon noticed my changed behavior, “Hey, eat.”

 

He pushed the plate towards me, took my hand and gave me the chopsticks. In return, I just stared at him.

 

The damned star clicked his tongue, “Aish, come on. Don’t act like those other girls who get their feelings hurt just because of small things and start eating.”

 

“I--” before I could talk he stuffed me with a piece of rice cake.

 

“I’ll pay for all of this, I owe you.” He stated occupied in eating.

 

Even with the criticism about girls, I can’t help but smile at those last words, ‘I owe you’. I can see that small change in him. He still needs work though, especially the comments he says.

 

We finished and we both had full stomachs. He paid for the food and when we were about to leave, the ajumma handed us a bottle of Soju, “You are Park Yoochun right? My daughter loves you and your songs.” She whispered, so as not to cause frenzy.

 

Yoochun suddenly became formal and bowed his head, “Thank you.” He gave the lady an irresistible smirk. She can’t help but to smile back, “Hope you can come again, so my daughter can finally see you in person.”

 

“I will ma’am. I could give her an autograph now.” He suggested.

 

The ajumma agreed and hastily looked for a pen and paper. Yoochun shoved the bottle of alcohol into my arms and took the pen and began writing his signature; when he was done, he gives the paper to the lady who can’t stop thanking the ‘nice’ star.     

 

The middle-aged woman gazed at us, “Thank you and please do come again.” She stated with a beautiful beam on her face.  

 

We both bowed at her and left. I observed Yoochun the minute we left the place. He was grinning the whole time.

 

“See” I spoke up, “you should go out more. People here can really lift your spirits up.”

 

“Tsk. Who said my spirit was lifted?” he denied and hid his big smile.

 

“What’s so bad about telling the truth?”

 

Yoochun halted from walking and gave me an I-will-never-tell you-what-I-felt look. Yes such a stare exists.

 

“Seriously?! You won’t tell me? I wanna know!” I demanded.

 

“Why should I?” he answered and started walking away.

 

Ugh. This man is so hard to shake. Yes I know I shouldn’t be forcing people to tell me what they are thinking, but I am just so curious. He never spills anything about him, just his lost love life. I heard enough of that from all those the entertainment news alone. I wanted to get to know him better, that’s all.      

 

“Yah! Wait for me!” I cried following him immediately. Could he stop leaving me behind?

 

I helplessly ran towards him, “Wait up, you’re walking too fast.”

“You’ll just have to keep up woman.” He replied.

 

Where did all his gentleman-like manners go?  I wished it stayed longer in his body.

 

“But I’m tired!” I complained, “Can we stop walking for a while?” and I sat on a nearby bench without even waiting for his confirmation.

 

“Aish. Those legs of yours can’t walk a few more blocks?” he stated placing his hands inside his coat’s pockets.

 

“I am not an athlete.” I tried catching my breath. Soon enough the star sat beside me. Finally he considers giving in to my little ‘wish’. I felt him stare at my ‘poor’ condition and laughed, “You should start exercising more.” He advised.

 

I shot him a sweet smile afterwards. Maybe I should exercise.

 

“Hey,” he called out, “that necklace looks familiar.” He was pertaining to my angel necklace he encountered when we first met.

 

“Oh, this?”   

 

~•~•~•~•~