Sheet 7

Damned Star

 

Sheet 7

 

 

“Excuse me, is there a Park Yoochun living in this apartment house?”

 

“Uh…” I had no idea how to answer him. The stranger though just looked at me waiting for a reply.

 

“Can I ask what's your relation with him?” I courteously asked his identity.

The tall man peeped through his shades, “I am his younger brother.”

 

“Park Yoohwan? I am sorry. Please do come in.” I apologized and escorted him up Yoochun’s unit.

 

As we traveled along the flight of stairs, I had the chance to observe him carefully. I scanned his features and they do have some similarities somewhat with the cheekbones and the shape of the lips. They both have that same aura too. He’s quite handsome like his brother. Wait what did I just say? Oh, forget it. Well in short I was pretty convinced they are related.

 

We arrived in front of his door, “Wait a minute.” I told him.

He gave me a slight nod and then I knocked.

 

The star instantly opened the door, “What?!” he raised an eyebrow.

“Someone is here to see you.” I uttered and directed his vision towards his brother.

“Huh? Who?”

 

The damned star’s eyes soon landed on his little bro and that second, he hopped out his unit and they both fell into a tight embrace.

 

“Hyung!” Yoohwan cried.

“I missed you bro.” Yoochun stated, releasing his dongsaeng from his tight hug.

 

“Wait, how did you get here without any commotion happening?” his older brother wondered.

Yoohwan smiled, “I discretely got out of our set for a while and used my friend’s car to get here, I made sure I wasn’t followed.” The rookie actor explained.

“Good job. Come on in!” Yoochun suggested dragging his brother via light headlock.

 

I watched them 'hurt' each other playfully. It was a precious moment for me and I don't even know why. A smile just naturally graced my face and I voluntarily closed the door and leisurley made my way back home.

 

Hours later, from the living room, I overheard the siblings talking loudly out the hallway, “Come on hyung, take the money.” 

 

“No Yoohwan I don’t need that, save it for yourself and for mom and dad.” The star declined the offer.

 

“Alright hyung, but when you need help, please don’t be afraid to call us.” He advised.

 

Afterwards, I heard footsteps fading…

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Would you look at that! You are an official human being. You decided to wear the headband I gave you.” The damned star uttered in a hallelujah-like tone.

 

Official human being? I did not want to start another argument with him so I just laughed. Anyway, Yoochun is tagging along with me again today. He volunteered to help out in the music store, so he could get out more, "See the world" as he said. His decision was timely because SHINee’s company just distributed their albums. We will have to find a place in the racks for all of those. We have received at least two boxes because we are expecting another huge wave of fans buying their CD. Besides we are the only music store around this area.

 

We arrived at our destination and opened the music shop in behalf of Hyekyo. I did my usual routine while Yoochun re-arranged the SHINee album boxes and other boxes filled with other artists CD’s.

 

I was busy tidying up the cash register when my best friend came in.

 

“Good morning!” she greeted in a sing-song tone, with a cup of coffee on one hand and a paper bag on the other.

 

“Good morning, Hyekyo.” 

 

“I bought some kimbap for us to eat. Yoochun’s coming over right?” she placed the kimbap on the counter and proceeded at the back room.

 

“Never mind, don’t answer my question!” she shouted after seeing the star inside the room.

 

When everything was settled and some new released albums by other artists where placed on the racks and shelves, we opened the store. Park Yoochun stood beside me at the cash register in his disguise, wanting to see how things work around here. Late V.I.P.’s stormed the store an hour after opening time, and bought their idol goup’s album and add the mini squeals they did while holding it. After the teenagers left I heard Yoochun release a loud sigh.

 

“It’s pretty boring here.” He said.

 

“Well, not really, we always meet different kinds of people here. There was this one time an old lady got first in line during the release of MBLAQ’s album and bought it for her granddaughter’s birthday. She was so sweet.” I beg to disagree.

 

“Just seeing those happy smiles as they buy their favorite’s CD… that’s pretty memorable.” Hyekyo backed me up.

 

“Nah, I will never understand what’s so fascinating about this job.” He stated.

 

Our argument was interrupted when a customer came in.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo!” we girls greeted.

 

Although the person who came in was not a customer, it was Sungjae.

 

“Noona!” he uttered as he walked towards us.

 

“Hello Sungjae. How did you find this place?” I wondered since I haven’t told him where exactly I worked.

 

“I saw Hyekyo the other day and asked her.” He answered as he glanced at my gal friend.

 

Thanks a lot Hyekyo.

 

“So, what brings you here?” I questioned.

 

“I was wondering if I could borrow you for a while.” Sungjae stated.

 

Without my consent Hyekyo instantly gave me away, “Oh, sure you can ‘borrow’ Minah, we can handle the place while you guys are gone.”

 

I glared at my best friend but she just winked at me.

 

“Let’s go.” The pretty boy insisted. Trying to be a nice noona, I followed him.  

 

I strolled awkwardly alongside Sungjae, but since he is an easy-going person, within just minutes I already feel comfortable around him even if it has been a few years we haven’t really communicated. He took me to an old abandoned playground with rusting, swings, a -no more sand- sand box, worn out slides and all those other things you could find there.

 

“Noona, do you remember this place?” he queried while he wore a reminiscent expression.

I re-scanned the whole area and I realized that, “This is the place where I confessed to you.” He gazed at me with so much innocence.

 

“I-I remember.” 

 

Sungjae shot me a sincere smile, “I never forgot that day. I could still remember your reaction.” He laughed, “You looked pretty shock back then.”

 

“Of course I was. I did not expect the heartthrob of the school to actually like me and actually had feelings for me.” I chuckled with him.

 

The pretty boy took in a deep breath, “You know I was really happy when I bumped into you the other day. After five years I finally saw you, you and your beautiful smile.”

 

“I missed it. I missed you.” Sungjae added.

 

He gradually came up to me. He snatched my hands and placed it on his chest specifically near his heart, “I still do love you, Minah, ever since we grew apart.... I never stopped loving you.”

 

One little detail I forgot to mention was, him and I used to have a romantic relationship. I can’t tell if I still have feelings for him, it has been long and I have completely erased Sungjae in my life.

 

Although I never forgot that day, that day he told me he was going to study at New York. His family is very well-off so he was advised to go there and pursue college in a foreign place. I did not know what to do, whether I should support him or stop him, I was still so immature. He was my first love too. Separation was not to my liking and long distance relationships, not included in my vocabulary. Besides he couldn’t have vacations here in Korea, he had to stay there until he graduates. After that day, I never talked to him. I don’t know what really happened to me but I just wished to stop seeing him.  

 

Now that I think about it though, I feel really lame. I did not have that courage to keep the relationship. I was such a coward. My naïve self was not ready for those things I guess.

 

“Noona, you are just so different from all of them, I can’t really tell what is it that thing that makes me hold on to you… that up to now my feelings are still strong…even if I had other relationships .” His grip got tighter.

“Five years… I doubt you still love me like before.” I uttered.

 

 He said it himself. He had other girls, it is impossible to date them if he still had feelings for me. That’s like two timing but in a totally different context.

 

“I know you won’t believe me, but please just trust me.” Sungjae stated, as he drew closer.

I gulped, “It has been a long time Sungjae-” I couldn’t finish my sentence.

 

“Give me that second chance. Even if you were the one who abandoned me I still never held any grudge against you. I am giving you my trust once again, please do the same.” His warm hands caressed my flushing cheeks.

 

The pretty boy's glistening sincere eyes looked straight into mine. His free hand captured my waist and his charisma enamored me. Sungjae’s face drew near, and with just one blink I felt his plump lips touch mine. I instinctively shut my eyes and kissed him back.

 

Before things got passionate, my phone began ringing, disturbing our intimate moment. I backed away from Sungjae as I caught my breath. I could not believe this. I might have feelings left for this guy. I would have pushed him prior to the kiss if I didn't.

 

I gazed away from him and snatched my phone inside my jeans pocket, “Hello?” I answered.

 

“Yah, Minah! Where are you?!” Yoochun’s irritated voice echoed inside my ears.

 

“I am at... some place? Why?” despite his high tone I calmly replied.  

 

Yoochun clicked his tongue, “You better get back here. You are taking too long. Be here in ten minutes. Hurry up Minah.”

 

“But I have only been out for--” then the dial tone sounded. Wow, he hung up on me. Typical Yoochun.

 

I glanced back at Sungjae who seemed to know what my conversation with ‘Minho’ was all about. He smiled at me and chuckled softly, “I better get you back.”

 

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

Sungjae and I arrived at the music store and found Yoochun, I mean Minho impatiently waiting outside. His blazing eyes saw us and instantly grabbed my hand and dragged me away from the pretty boy.

 

“You can leave now.” He stated pertaining to Sungjae.

 

“But hyung, I haven’t said good-bye to her yet...” Yook Sungjae politely answered still wearing a smile on his face.

 

“Do you need to be that close to her to say a simple good-bye?” he questioned.

“Yah Yo… ah Minho! Let go of me and don’t be rude to Sungjae.” I protested.

 

“Don’t in Minah.” The damned star uttered.

 

The pretty boy seemed like he did not want to put up a fight so he bid farewell, “Noona, I’ll see you some other time.” He grinned and took a step forward but my strict “father” stopped him, “Hey, you said good-bye already, now go.” Yoochun shooed him away.

 

Sungjae could not retort so he just gazed at me, beamed again and left.

 

“Yah, why are you glaring at me?”

 

“I can’t believe you are asking me that.” I rolled my eyes at him, “You were very rude to Sungjae, and you are crushing my hand.” I stated the obvious.

 

The star let me go, “I-if you are just going to the park with that Sungjae you could have done it another time. I was stuck here with your blabbering friend who bossed me around so much.” He blurted as his eyes widened.

 

“I’m pretty sure Hyekyo was just telling you what you should do.” I pursued, “...and mind your own business!” I rebutted using the words he used on me before.

 

“Aish. Get inside.” He ordered his tone filled with much agitation.

I scrunched up my nose, “Now who is the bossy one here.” I muttered as he shoved me inside.  

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Thank you for coming to help us Yoochun.” My best friend bowed her head.

 

“Ah… Yeah.” The damned star replied in a bitter manner.

I elbowed his side to force him a polite reply, “Welcome.” He said.

 

“See you tomorrow!” Hyekyo smiled at us and went inside her house.

 

“Yoochun, why do you have to be so ill-mannered?” I asked as I folded my arms.

 

The star sighed, “Yah Minah, do you really have to start?”

 

“Why can’t we talk about it? You have been acting like that almost the whole day.” I uttered trailing behind as he began strolling away.

 

“Fine! Sorry.” He shortly replied which put me to a halt.

 

Did I hear him right? The Park Yoochun easily apologizing? Wow, that was surprising.

 

I forced my mouth shut and need no longer reiterate to him his bad actions. I sheepishly followed the star grinning to myself. He’s not as rude as he was to me before. I am really glad.

 

“Yah Minah.” Yoochun called out.

 

“Deh? (Yes)” I responded.

 

“Is that Sungjae guy your boyfriend?” he queried.

 

“Eh?!” I continued, “Aniyo. He is just a friend of mine back at high school. Waeyo?”

 

“The way he acts around you tells me otherwise.” He stated.

 

“What do you mean?” I wondered catching up with his pace.

 

Yoochun just looked at me and kept walking. I pouted my lips because I can’t seem to understand what he was trying to convey.

 

“Yah, what do you mean?” I repeated.

“You got to be careful, he seems like someone who won't treat you right.” He replied but not answering my question.

 

The damned star hastened his pace leaving me behind.

 

“Yah! Yoochun ah! Jamkkanman-yo! I don’t get you!”

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Hello Minah, since it is Black Day today why don’t we eat some black bean noodles after work?” I slowly read my best friend’s text message with one eye open –still a bit tipsy from sleep- as I am making my way out the front door of our unit. I halted for a second to check the huge calendar we have at the living room.

 

“Oh, it is Black Day today.” I whispered to myself.

 

I replied a, “Sure ;)” and headed to the bathroom.

 

“Umma, I am leaving!” I shouted as I held the door knob.

“Take care.” My mom yelled back.

 

I opened the door and ran out the hall. I was busy fixing myself when the damned star’s door aggressively flew open. I cringed in shock. Yoochun gradually came out of his unit staring at me. 

 

“Yah! You-you scared me!” I exclaimed my eyes wide open.

 

“Well, I heard you coming so I instantly got out.” He explained.

 

“H-how did you even know I was leaving?” I asked still stuttering.

 

“I just know it.” He stated shooting me with an arrogant gaze.

 

I took in a deep breath to calm down my racing heart, “Aish.” I muttered.

 

I noticed Yoochun all dressed up, “Hey, where are you going?”

“I’m coming with you.”

 

“Aniyo! If you are coming back to the music store again, you’ll just be ‘bossed’ around there.” I completely rejected him tagging along because I could not tolerate his complaints.

 

The star just gave me a blank expression. I rolled my eyes and just kept walking as he followed me. Will that day ever come when Yoochun becomes gentleman-like towards me? How can I fulfill my Project Yoochun if he won’t cooperate?

 

“Minah, I am just going to buy coffee.” He interrupted.

 

I realized we were passing by the convenient store. “Oh right! I almost forgot, I am going to drop this raffle ticket inside too.” I mentioned which made Yoochun put on a puzzled visage.

 

“Ah,” I lightly hit my head, “you see I have this raffle ticket which could win me a trip to Jeju for three…”

 

I wasn’t even done explaining when he ignorantly went inside the store.

“Aigoo, why am I even doing this he won’t care anyway.” I mentally slapped myself and proceeded inside.

 

The star was busy paying for his coffee, on the other hand I was praying over my raffle ticket. Please, please… let me win this. I want to go to Jeju so bad!

 

I crossed my fingers and carefully slid the ticket inside the raffle box. When it fell in, I took one last peep, “Please let me win. Fighting!” I uttered to myself.

 

“Have you gone crazy?” I heard his voice booming behind my back.

 

“Mind your own business.” I stated getting owning his statement.

 

Yoochun irritably looked away while sipping coffee.

“Let’s just go.” I initiated taking the lead proceeding outside. I was confidently walking when, “Ouch!”

 

I heeded Yoochun’s loud laughter, “That’s karma right there!”

 

I slowly picked myself up off the sidewalk floor. I sat up and glared at him. Pain suddenly stung my upper body like thunder. Aw that was a hard fall, add those passersby trying to hold their laughter too. Aw, this is so embarrassing, why did I have to trip at a public place.

 

“Get up.” The damned star miraculously lends me a hand even before I could help myself up. I did not hesitate and grabbed his hand.

 

He hastily pulled me up right close to his face, “Be careful next time.” He uttered putting on a charming smirk. I froze in place and could not release a word. His eyes lured me and his aura enclosed me in a warm atmosphere.

 

I gulped, “T-t-thank you.” I managed to talk. The star soon let go of me and continued walking.

 

I had to hold my chest and ease my heart thumping hard. Oh aigoo… What the heck did I just go through? I gawked back at Yoochun who is still busy walking. I bit my lips and pinched my cheeks. Minah get a hold of yourself!

 

The whole moment was just so—Aish, I don’t even wanna think about it. I could not help but shake my head from left to right. Snap out of it Minah! I turned my attention back at him and noticed that he was going a different direction.

 

“Yah! Where are you going?!” I shouted.

 

“I am gonna take a stroll around here.” He answered as he put his free hand up and waved a good-bye to me.

 

I wonder where he is heading…

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Umma I am home.” I politely yelled.

 

“Hyekyo is with me too.” I added.

 

“Hello...” My mother stated greeting us at the door.

“Mrs. Lee we bought black bean noodles for all of us. Let us celebrate Black Day.” She smiled.

 

“Thank you Hyekyo that is very thoughtful of you. You can go put those on the dinner table. I’ll just turn off the flat iron.”

“Deh.” We both muttered in chorus.

 

We proceeded to the table to set things up. While I was busy unpacking the freshly cooked noodles, Hyekyo asked me a question, “Minah, I forgot to ask what Sungjae needed from you the other day.”

 

“Ah, it’s nothing Hyekyo we just caught up on each other. That’s all.” I lied.

 

My friend’s lips pouted, “Aish. Minah you’re not telling me the truth. Something else happened, tell me.” She came up to me and begged.

 

Our conversation was interrupted when mom came back.

 

“Let’s eat.” She initiated.

 

We all sat down and filled our stomachs with noodles.

 

“Meow~”

 

“Hey, what was that?” my best friend wondered.

 

“It’s probably just a cat.” I stated.

 

“Meow, meyaaaaaw~”

 

“That doesn’t sound like a cat to me, dear.” My mom was also put to a halt.

“Besides that ruckus seems like it’s coming from the hallway.” My friend added.

 

“Guys I tell you that’s just a cat.” I dropped my chopsticks and got up to see it for myself and really prove to them it’s just an animal.

 

I opened the door and found, “Yoochun!”

 

The damned star was sitting on the floor his legs close to his chest, his face wearing a faint expression, “Meyaww~” 

 

He was the one who was making that-lame-cat imitation. “What are you exactly doing here?”

 

“I am hungry…” he meekly said and pouted his lips.

I placed my hands on my waist, “What do you mean you are hungry? Don’t you have money to buy yourself good food?”

 

“I am craving for black bean noodles.” He used his puppy-dog eyes.

 

“How-how long have you been sitting out here to know we are eating that now?” I questioned.

“The moment you got inside your unit.” He confessed.

 

“Are you stalking me?”

 

Although before he could answer my mom and Hyekyo came and umma barged in our conversation.

“Yoochun. What are you doing there sitting on that dirty floor?” my mom asked rushing to him to help him stand up.

 

“Hello Mrs. Lee, I ran out of food in the fridge, so I was wondering if I could ask some from you. I promise to pay you back.” He still manage to politely ask for food.

 

“You poor thing. Come inside we still have black bean noodles left.” Umma uttered letting the damned star in.

 

Yoochun sat happily at the dinner table being served by my mother.

“Umma, you don’t have to do that, he can help himself.” I stated.

“No dear, it is okay. He is our guest of honor.” She did not mind.

 

I looked at Hyekyo and gave her an irritated face. My nice friend mouthed, “It’s okay.” and smiled.

 

“I bought some Soju!” he gladly exclaimed, suddenly grabbing Soju from nowwhere.

“Oh, thank you dear.” My mom stated giving a slight pinch to the star’s cheeks.

 

Wow did he plan this? I sluggishly took my seat and continued eating while keenly watching the star.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Lee.” He bowed his head as he ate happily.

 

The whole time he was conversing with mom and Hyekyo while I kept silent. They were laughing to the jokes he was telling, also sharing weird and funny stories about his career.

 

My lips suddenly formed a beam. I could sense he was really happy. I can see it in his eyes. My irritation went away because of this. I can’t believe I am becoming him, a rude person. I should blame him for that. His unpleasant attitude is rubbing off on me. I could have openly invited him to our house,  but no, I acted as if he was some stranger. Well he was being ill-mannered to me so how he treats me reflects on how I treat him. I better get myself together, just like Park Yoochun who is returning to his jolly old self…

 

~•~•~•~•~