Sheet 11

Damned Star

 

Sheet 11

 

 

What to choose, what to choose? I can’t decide which I should buy… I don’t know what he likes either. I’ll just go for anything the ajumma recommends.

 

“Excuse me?” I cried out to the ajumma behind the counter.

“Deh?” she averted her attention to me.

“May I know what your best seller here is?” I politely questioned.

“We have two… Our best sellers are Bungeobbang (fish-shaped stuffed pastry) and fresh Hodo kwaja (walnut-shaped pastry filled with red bean paste and walnuts).” She quickly answered for she had to attend to another customer.

 

I guess I’ll go with the first one she mentioned. So I searched for the Bunggeobbang myself. I scanned the shelves of the small bakery store that had tons of varying pastries; minutes later I finally found the said bread and grabbed two of it, concealed in a plastic wrapper. I scurried towards the counter to pay. The lady scanned the barcode which opened the cash register. I was about to hand out the money when she spoke up, “Do you want to try our fresh, hot Hodo kwaja?” she subtly advertised with a bright beam.

 

I sheepishly smiled back and gave in to her advertisement and hesitantly said, “Uhm okay, I’ll try some.”

 

The kind-looking ajumma instantly left and took it out from their kitchen. When she, still with a huge grin on her face, got back, she handed me a small paper bag and I took a little peek inside. I bowed my head at her and snatched my wallet from my bag. I paid for the breads. I bowed at her once again, while she thanked me, and then I fled the store.

 

Mmm… These red-bean-paste-filled pastries smell great. I hope Yoochun likes this, as well as the Bungeobbang. He ordered me to buy him food that would help inspire him, since at this moment he is at the park writing songs. I made my way back with little strides. When I got there I couldn’t find the star at all. I checked every bench but I see no sign of him. I wonder where he went.

         

I grabbed my phone and dialed his number, while juggling all the food on my hands. A minute passed waiting for him to pick up and then, I spotted a mob in frenzy at the far end of the park, because of my interest, I decided to check it out. I carefully approached the crowd of girls and began hearing faint squeals along with the word, “Oppa~”. Is this some ulzzang guy they are swooning over?

     

With my phone still on one ear, I tiptoed attempting to have a glimpse of the ‘spazz-able’ person and to my surprise it was Yoochun, who seemed pretty occupied in calming them down.

 

“Omo!” I could not help but utter loudly, but because the screams were overpowering my voice, no one noticed me. Of course it would be him the girls were screaming for. I instantly placed my phone back inside my jeans’ pocket and dumped in the pastries in my bag. I vacuumed in a heap of air and cautiously inserted myself amongst the girls. Oh, it was not nice at all… I got elbowed on my sides and bashed on my head and I had to take a few more of them before finally reaching him.

 

“Yah! Yoochun!” I called out.

 

The star, who was busy signing autographs and posing for the cameras just to keep them pleased, halted and gawked at me. He mouthed my name, and signaled to me that he needed some help, like it wasn’t any more obvious. I tried to get closer to him, acting like I wanted his signature and a picture with him too. He kept shifting his gaze, unsure of what I had in mind. I scanned my surroundings and found a way in between the fan girls. I gathered all my strength and grasped Yoochun’s wrist and yelled at him, “Run!”

           

He immediately sprung up as I dragged him out the mob. We went through a lot or random streets and alleyways before we could get rid of those very dedicated girls. We both settled at a narrow pathway, catching our breaths. My legs could barely hold my weight from all that running so I had to lean on a wall. The star on the other hand, was griping tightly on his shirt.

 

“Wh-why were there fan girls swooning over you?”I questioned, stuttering at the beginning.

“I took off my disguise.” He shortly answered, still not recovering.

“What?!” I slightly got furious, “Why did you?” I ended with another query.

“I felt uncomfortable, okay.”Yoochun admitted, raising his hands like he was getting arrested.

 

“Besides, the girl at the rice cake place probably bragged her picture with me to her other friends, that is why they easily saw me, ‘coz they know I reside around this area now.” He added, trying to make himself look innocent.

 

We forgot to remind the girl not to tell… Oh well, what’s done is done.

“Well, you should be careful from now on, since a bunch of people might have already heard that you do live some place here.” I advised, not wanting to ‘scold’ him, while I regained my proper posture, “From now on you should always wear your disguise, alright?”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

             

I keenly stared at the star and remembered he wasn’t able to fetch his stuff. I hope no one stole it. “We should get going and grab your stuff before someone else takes it and sell them on the internet or something like that.” I initiated and began walking. The star politely nodded and followed behind.

 

“On second thought,” I halted, “maybe you should wait here, so you won’t re-attract a lot of attention.”

 

Yoochun shot me a blank stare, “But I wanna come with…”

“Just wait here.” I affirmed.

 

Yoochun hung his head low and rested his tired body on a wall, obeying my command.

 

“Oh yeah,” I pursued, snatching the food I bought earlier from my bag, “I bet you’re hungry, so you can have this all.” I ended and stretched my arms, handing to him the packaged pastries. The silent star received them wholeheartedly as he bowed his head. I spun around and started walking away from him. I was still checking the area for any lurking fan girls out there. It took me some time before reaching the spot where the star was sitting on a while ago.

 

Fortunately, all his belongings where there totally unharmed. I gathered his things, as well as his disguise, leisurely and organized them in the process. When everything was placed neatly inside his bag, I zipped it close and slung it on my free shoulder. 

 

I made my way back to the place where I left him. When I got there, Yoochun was gone. Aigoo. Where did he go? I told him to stay here. I don’t want to keep running away from screaming fan girls; it’s just not in my system. I took out my phone once again and dialed his number.

 

“Yah.” A voice echoed behind me.

I spun around and saw the star drinking banana milk. I glared at him and crossed my arms.

“What?” he wondered, not getting the nonverbal message I am trying to relay to him.

“I was thirsty.” He stated, catching on.

“I said you should stay here. What if your fans saw you and began swooning over you again?” I blurted with a stern tone.

“Hey watch it. Look, I was extra careful okay?” he rebutted, influenced by my sudden outburst.

 

I vacuumed in a huge amount of oxygen and released a heavy sough along with my frustration. I shoved his bag on his chest and twirled around walking away from him.

 

“Minah! What did I do wrong?” he cried. I gawked back at him with a blank stare and continued marching.

I-I don’t know either. I have no idea why I am acting this way… Why?

I heeded the star catching up with his loud footsteps. Yoochun’s hand caught my shoulder which brought me to a halt.

“What’s wrong with you?” he uttered forcing me to face him and look at his concerned visage. I instantly avoided his gaze and bit my lips.

 

“Answer me.” The star demanded, reached for my chin and slowly held my head up. His action got me nervous because he has never done it to me before.

 

I gulped, “Uhm, let’s just forget what happened earlier…” I managed to say despite all these weird emotions I am experiencing. I grasped his hand and took it away from me. The star shot me a puzzled look; in return I just smiled at him.

“Your disguise is in your bag, you should wear it first before we go home.” I changed the subject.

 

Yoochun nodded and requested me to hold his banana milk and the bread I bought earlier –which he clearly did not eat. While he was busy putting his disguise on, I popped him a question, “Why didn’t you eat the pastries?”

 

“I did not want to eat those without you.” He replied coldly. Even though he released those words like it was nothing, my heart interpreted it the other way around. I felt heat rise up my cheeks and for that, it was a must to gaze away. It also made me feel bad for shouting at him a while ago. Tsk. Nice going Lee Minah.

 

The second he finished, he immediately snatched the sweet refreshment from me and left the food on my hands.

“You can have that, I am not hungry anymore.” He stated still in an impassive manner.

“But--” he cut me off, “Let’s go.”

 

The star rudely strode away, like he used to… Now, what’s up with him? First he acts all concerned and then he acts like this? I shook my head stopping myself from thinking too much and started trailing behind him.

                 

The both of us were silent the whole trip. No one dared bring up a conversation; neither did we have nonverbal communication. Yoochun looked like he was lost deep in his thoughts. I am curious as to what he was thinking of the whole time.

 

We were about to part ways when I grabbed his wrist. My eyes carefully gawk up at him. The star wore a bewildered look, wondering what I have to say.

 

I gathered all my courage and spoke up, “I just want to let you know that it is okay for me if people would discover that you live here. I think I will get used to all that running and hiding eventually.” I ended without much thought.

 

Yoochun cleared his throat and responded, “What are you saying?”a bit tense, he paused and then continued after he was able to relax himself, “I don’t want you and your mom to be disturbed by those clingy and irritating paparazzi. I don’t want your normal life to be ruined just because of me.”

 

His concern overwhelmed me… Although it is not like this is the first time. Just the way he delivered every word, the way his anxious eyes pierced my heart, it was all too real for me. Yoochun release himself from my clasp and held my hand.

 

“I owe you so much. You redirected my life to the right path. The last thing I want to do is ruin yours.”

 

My tears began falling for some indefinite reason, “Well, if you don’t want my life to get disrupted, why don’t you want to leave yet? Why are you still here…?” I cried tugging his shirt with my other hand.

 

I saw his lips move but I could not make out what he just said.

“What?” I asked, eager to know what his reason was but unfortunately he just shot me a meek and icy smirk and proceeded inside his unit.

    

I wonder what he said… Would he mind if I ask him again? No… I-I guess this is not the right time to know.

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Wow he was nice to you all of a sudden?” Hyekyo blurted somewhat shocked of how fast the star’s attitude changed.

 

I sighed and remembered those short but memorable moments his ‘rude self’ took over him. I glanced at my gal friend and answered, “Well he was not all that nice yet… he was a bit rude or cold to me like a few times.”

 

“…or maybe he’s some clone! Yoochun has a well-mannered clone!” Hyekyo assumed as her eyes widened. I chuckled at her thought, “What are you talking about? Have you been watching too many sci-fi movies lately?” I questioned, thinking of my friend’s remark as bizarre.

 

“Come on Minah, why not just go along with my idea, like for once?” Hyekyo pouted her lips, disappointed with my response.

“Sorry Hyekyo, I just really can’t agree with your crazy mind most of the time.” I stated lightly hitting her head.

“What kind of friend are you?” Hyekyo muttered as she crossed her arms.

I was about to respond when her eyes shifted its direction towards the outside of the store.

 

“Hey, speaking of Yoochun… He is right in front of the shop.” She pointed.

I gawked back and saw the star wave at me with a bright smile plastered on his beautifully sculpted face.

 

What did I just say? Disregard that last statement.

 

“Hi.” I heeded his sweet deep voice echoing in my ears as he entered the music store. My heart began fluttering madly the moment I felt his presence. What is happening to me?

 

“Hello Yoochun! I see you are less gloomy than before.” Hyekyo greeted him and started the conversation. “Yeah, you guys really helped me get my old self back.”

 

“Oh you are very much welcome.” She replied. I was just peacefully listening to their conversation the whole time when my friend called my attention, “Minah~, Yoochun’s asking you something.”

“Huh? What?”

 

The star beamed at me, “Is it okay if I walk you guys home?”

 

I gulped and stared at his eyes seconds before I was able to speak. Yoochun alleged I did not hear him so he repeated his statement “Is it okay if I walk you guys home?”

 

“W-why are you requesting permission to walk us home? This is not your first time to do so.” I stuttered trying to recover from my weird reactions.

 

I noticed Hyekyo bob her head in agreement. The star looked at the both of us awkwardly and chuckled softly.

 

“I don’t know what to say...” He stated realizing that I was right.

“Babo…” I mumbled punching the star’s arm jokingly.

 

“Hey wait, it just dawned to me that you are not wearing your disguise again. Isn’t there anyone who followed you?” Hyekyo questioned.

 

“I actually came from my parents’ house. I requested my brother to drop me off here.” He narrated.

 

I gazed at Yoochun and witnessed his lips form a meek smirk. Why do I keep noticing his small little actions all of a sudden? This habit is getting terminal by the second. Aish. The star’s eyes redirected towards me and caught me looking.

 

“Is there something wrong?” he queried, finding it unusual catching me staring at him like some smitten fan girl.

 

“Nothing… Oh look it’s exactly closing time!” I shouted changing the subject as I childishly pointed at the wall clock.

 

Yoochun grinned and volunteered, “I’ll help you guys fix things up.”

 

We closed the shop like usual. I obliged the star to wear my hat, my scarf and Hyekyo’s sunglasses. I know I said I will try my best to get accustomed to all the chasing. Not now… I need some more time.

 

“Is this really necessary? I look gay wearing your stuff.” He complained as he walked with us.

 

“We just don’t want to run away from your fans at this hour.” Hyekyo explained.

“Hey not all my fans chase me around… Don’t generalize.” he defended trying to make himself comfortable with our clothing accessories.

 

“Well, I just don’t want to experience what Minah went through.” She mentioned, patting my back carefully.

After that statement of my dear friend my head hung low. I felt Yoochun’s stare. I heard him sigh and said a very sincere,”Sorry.”

 

My head instantly sprung up, “Why are you apologizing? You don’t need to…” I soughed.

“Look at you two, you guys are so cute.” Hyekyo remarked.

 

Yoochun and I exchanged gazes not knowing what to say. My gal friend smiled brightly despite the dark evening and bowed her head towards the star.

 

“Thank you for walking me, weill us, home. I’ll see you when I see you. Good night. Please keep Minah safe.” She thanked.

 

I did not notice we were already in front of her house. I hugged Hyekyo good-bye while Yoochun bowed his head in return. We waited for her to get in and we continued walking.

 

On our way home, Yoochun suddenly stopped and grabbed my wrist. He took off his cardigan and placed it around my shoulders. I, surprised, shot the star a puzzled look.

 

“You seem like your cold.” He shortly answered, taking my reaction as a need for him to clarify his spontaneous deed. True enough I was freezing. I wonder how he knew though. I bowed my head with gratitude and we strode away side by side.

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

“Sorry dear, this is the only thing I could afford.” My mom apologized as she held my hand tight.

“What are you saying mom? It’s okay with me, besides this is the best Bibimbap I ever tasted.” I stated giving her the best cheerful smile I could make.

 

My mom fortunately won the lottery today, although it was not the biggest prize she was able to snatch, I guess a few thousand Won. She saved majority of it and placed it on my bank account and used the rest to treat me out. It has been a long time since we did this. It is really nice to be able to eat out with her again.  

 

There was a huge plate of Kimbap, two orders of Bibimbap, Dukbokki and of course Kimchi on the table. It was enough to fill our stomachs for the day. Well, at least before dinner. After the meal, my mom can’t help but order a bottle of Soju. She wanted to catch up on the life events that were happening to me, the best way to do that was with alcohol. We had our shares of laughs and a bit of frustration as we told each other the stories we hold, although the conversation heated up when she talked about Park Yoochun.

 

“Minah, I have been noticing lately that Yoochun’s becoming nicer than before.” She mentioned drinking a shot of Soju.

I nodded my head and chomped on the leftover Kimchi with my chopsticks. Although Yoochun was already polite towards her. Maybe he became a lot nicer?

 

My mom smiled and continued, “You seem different too… especially around him.”

 

I immediately dropped my chopsticks to protest, “What? How am I different mom?”

 

“When you are around him you seem so happy, like when I used to see you when your dad was still alive.” She reminisced glancing outside the restaurant.

 

“Uhm, I’m pretty sure I was happier with dad than with Yoochun.”

 

What the heck did I just say?

 

“Well, of course. However that bliss when you are with Yoochun is different.” She mentioned further supporting her theory.

 

“I can’t comprehend what you’re saying mom.” I stated, not even reflecting.

“Do you like him Minah?” she frankly questioned.

 

“What?! No… I like him as a friend…” I uttered full of objection and because of that I could not help but take a shot of Soju.

 

She laughed at me and said, “Take it easy Minah, by the way you are acting now implies that you do have feelings for the guy.”

 

“No mom that is impossible.” I sternly remarked.

 

There is no way I will like the Park Yoochun… that smile, those hypnotizing stares… that, that voice. Wait hold it, no Minah. I mentally slapped myself.  

 

“Alright if you say so.” She raised the white flag and gulped on the left over alcohol.

 

“Let’s just go home.” I suggested even before she dares order another bottle of Soju. I don’t want this conversation about that person to go on. I will not survive it.

 

After paying for the meal I politely dragged my mother out the restaurant. Along the way we bought a pint of vanilla ice cream and a small pack of sweet red beans in a supermarket. It is like West meets East dessert special. It might look like a weird combination, but we like it. No erase that, we love it.

“Oh we should let Yoochun try this don’t you think?” my mom suggested out of nowhere.

"We should.” I responded shortly.

 

Why is she bringing him up again? Is this intentional? Is my mom teasing me with the star Yoochun? Seriously, we should stop adding him to our conversations for a while. I am confused enough as to why I am acting strange around the guy. Now she’s asking me if I like him.

 

Come to think of it though, maybe just maybe I am developing a small crush on him. Maybe that is why I seem so smitten when he’s around. Being a fan girl is different; I am in love with his talent, that’s it in my perspective. It can be interchanged with the word crush however at this moment it’s not just admiration. The way I see it, I might actually like him, for him. As in his personality, his presence, his habits, his mannerisms… just the way he talks already sends shivers down my spine. Even if he used to be so rude, I forgot about those encounters. I can’t believe I am saying this but my mom is probably right I do like the Park Yoochun.

 

“Minah come over here!” my mom called out already a few feet away from me. She was standing beside a street vendor selling accessories half its original price. My mother really can’t let these sales pass. Tsk. She asked me to pick out something I want. Amongst tons of trinkets, one stood out to me the most: a keychain with the initials ‘Y’ and ‘M’. Yoochun and Minah together… Oh my, did I just think of that?

 

I took in a deep breath to clear my mind and chose something else, a less significant representation of my relationship with Yoochun.  I seriously don’t know why I am restricting myself to like him deeper.

 

My mother bought so many items, -some of it for her friends- thus resulting to two small bags full of it. Oh mom. To prevent her from buying the whole stall I forced her to go home.

 

“Please hold these dear the bags are falling off my grip.” She requested. Although even before I stopped the bags fell out of her hands.

 

“Sorry mom.” I apologized and knelt down to pick up the objects. A pair of foreign shoes greeted me and helped me collect the things that fell out the plastic. Afterwards the stranger helped me up. To my surprise my view landed on a very beautiful and composed lady. She had long colored locks and fair porcelain skin. Her smile was like that of commercial models for a toothpaste brand. Her physical features look so well maintained.

 

“Thank you…” I halted.

“My name is Choi Minkyung.” She introduced herself along with a respectful bow. 

 

  Hmm… that name sounds familiar.

 

“Thank you Minkyung, dear.” My mom blurted bowing her head as well.

“You’re welcome.” She ended.

 

My mom and I smiled at her and gradually walked away until the beautiful stranger called our attention. We both simultaneously spun around. The woman hurriedly ran towards us and took out a small piece of paper.

 

She unfolded it and showed it, “Do you know where this place is?”

We examined the address and to our amazement it was the same apartment house we were residing in.

“We live there.” My mom informed.

 

“Oh really? Is it okay if I ask for directions? I am lost. I have never been in this part of Seoul.” Minkyung confessed asking for help.

 

“It’s fine with me.” I agreed to be of assistance. So my mother and I tried our best to explain to her how to get there. When we were almost done she interrupted, “Oh why am I so foolish? Why don’t you just hop in my car and I’ll drive you there, so it is more convenient for the three of us.” She suggested.

 

“You are right! Why not?” my mom went along with her idea.

 I pulled her away and whispered, “Are you sure it is safe to ride with her? We just met her mom.”

“Don’t be judgmental dear, she seems nice.”

“Aren’t you being judgmental too for seeing her as someone who is nice?” I rebutted, not sure if I made sense at all.

“Trust me Minah.” She replied securing my hand in a tight clasp trying to assure me of this proposal.

I soughed and nodded my head in hesitation as my mom agreed with the woman.

“Alright! I’ll you to my car.” She ended.

 

Along the way I tried to calm myself down inside the car by thinking of happy thoughts. I know I am paranoid, but no one has ever been this nice to us. Especially someone we simply met in the streets. I observed the interior of the vehicle and I must say it is well taken care of, very tidy. It smells nice in here too. I can’t help but notice her stack of Yoochun’s past albums… maybe she is a huge fan?

 

My mom directed the lady around the streets towards our building. Thankfully, we arrived there unharmed. We all unloaded the car. My mom and I bowed our heads in gratitude and she told us to go ahead and so we did. We don’t want the ice cream we bought to melt.

 

We helped ourselves with the dessert and saved some for the star. After eating, my mother ordered me to bring the star’s share to him immediately. So I hurriedly ran out the hallway. Shockingly I saw Minkyung standing in front of Yoochun’s door… What is she doing there?

 

“Hi.” I uttered which halted her from knocking on his door. She glanced at me and forced a beam.

“Hello.” She responded.

“Oh, I forgot to introduce myself earlier, my name is Lee Minah.” I bowed.

 

“Nice to meet you Minah.” Minkyung continued the conversation, “So who is that for?” she noticed the bowl of ice cream with sweet red beans on my hands.

“It’s for my friend.” I answered.

“Oh your friend lives here?” she wondered.

I sheepishly nodded as she chuckled at my clueless reaction.

“I see… I must have the wrong number then.” She assumed.

 

“Hmm… Why don’t you wait for me? I’ll just hand this over to my friend and then I’ll help you find the person you are looking for.” I proposed, returning the favor.

Minkyung bobbed her head and gave way. She turned her back, not wanting to ‘eavesdrop’. I knocked on Yoochun’s door and waited for a few seconds before he opened it.

Half of his body popped outside his unit, “What is it?”

“Mom wants you to try this.” I replied showing him the special dessert.

“What’s in it?” he queried.

“Vanilla ice cream drizzled with sweet red beans.” I responded growing a little impatient because the ice cream was already melting. Why couldn’t he just accept it?

“Yoochun?!” I heeded Minkyung’s voice echo within the hallway. I witnessed Yoochun’s eyes widen the moment he heard her call out his name.

I got shoved aside the moment she rushed to him and locked him in a tight embrace. My heart thumped loudly, surprised at this sudden sight.

“Minkyung, what are you doing here?” he asked, his tone surrounded by confusion.

Minkyung? Minkyung… Yoochun’s ex… Why didn’t I remember this earlier?

“I missed you Yoochun.” She blurted as her voice shook.

 

I inhaled a handful of air and slowly began walking backwards. If I stayed, it would have been awkward for me. I hung my head low not wanting to see the next coming scenes. I made my way back the apartment and abruptly shut the door.  

 

I held my unsteady heart with the dessert still on my other hand… gradually melting. W-what did just happen?

 

~•~•~•~•~

 

Author's Note:

After making you guys wait for a long time, I will only leave you with a cliff hanger. >.< Sorry about that. Sorry for not updating as often as I used to. Been busy with school. T.T Anyway, I can't remember if I gave Minkyung a last name at the previous chapters, so if I did please let me know. XD Comments are loved. <3 Oh and hi new readers! :) Although I think I lost some subscribers? :( I am hoping you still liked this update even if it is heartbreaking. /killed

 

Give me some feedback ;)
 


BTW the court desicion of JYJ's law suit will be out soon. I can't wait on what will happen. I will just AKTF!
And please support our dearest moderator Jason/Nichiren, he's experiencing bad events lately. Please visit my graphic request shop as well!!! :D Thank you for reading my loyal readers. I love you guys! :3