xxi

Black Paradise

 

A/N: It's been a while T_T I was just busy and sheet, but here's an update! It's a bit longer, I think, than the usual. Enjoy! ^^ I'm thinking of doing a character's page, for all the major characters...but I don't know..

 

The sound of a pounding door broke the three boys' gaze away from the screen and towards the door. They looked at one another, waiting for one of them to get up and get the door.

 

As usual, Howon coughed and laid down on the floor. Hyunwoo clutched his chest, cacking. "Oh man, I feel a coughing fit coming on, oh God!" 

 

Byunghun rolled his eyes, getting up with a sigh and leisurely walking to the door. "Ten bucks that it's the pizza guy!" He called to the living room. "Ten bucks that it isn't the goddamn pizza guy, and if you don't open this damn door in ten damn seconds you're getting your damn head beat into the damn wall!" He heard an all too familiar shriek from the other side of the door. 

 

Byunghun blinked, turning the knob and opening the door to unveil a very distressed and angry Niel standing there, arms crossed. And to his disliking, Chanhee also stood there, along with Jonghyun. 

 

"Who is it--" Hyunwoo skipped up to the doorway, pausing when he saw the guests. 

 

"I'm guessing none of those people are the pizza guy, so you owe me ten, Hunnie!" Hyunwoo hugged Byunghun's neck from behind and laughing. Byunghun smiled, feeling himself blush slightly as he naturally held Hyunwoo's wrist. Then he turned his attention back to the trio, all laughter and smiles escaping from his face. 

 

"How did you find me."

 

"Junhee knew you were staying here, that's how. What the hell were you thinking, staying here without any notice?! Do you know how worried I was about you?!" Chanhee shouted, stepping forward to embrace the other in a hug. But Byunghun noticed the hesitation in his eyes, as Chanhee eyed Hyunwoo's contact with him. Chanhee stepped back, looking hurt.

 

All Byunghun felt for Chanhee was hate. How could he sound so normal, so like himself, after all he did? What kind of did that? 

 

"If that's all you had to say, then leave. I'm in the middle of watching a movie, and I don't have time for this bull."

 

Hyunwoo must have felt the tension in the air, because he unwounded his arms from Byunghun. "Hunnie, talk to your friends. We'll pause the movie and wait for you, okay?" He said cheerfully, flashing the others a light smile before walking away. 

 

Byunghun wanted so badly to slam the door in all of their faces. He so badly wanted to punch the life out of Chanhee for being so inconsiderate, and then having the balls to show up where he wasn't welcome, acting like HE was the victim in all of this.

 

Sick. It was just sick. All of it. 

 

"Hyung, can I talk to you, alone?" Jonghyun asked, ushering the others further back into the hallway. Byunghun furrowed his brows, walking out and slamming the door behind him. Jonghyun led the way down the hall, and Byunghun followed silently. 

 

He didn't know why he was agreeing for a group chat; he certainly didn't owe them that. He was angry. He was angry at Chanhee, for obvious reasons. He was angry at Woohyun for inviting those two. He was angry at Niel and Jonghyun for searching and finding him, when all he wanted was time on his own. He wasn't obligated to do this--in fact, he had better things to do. But, he figured that he would be seeing more of them in Korea when they returned, and he wouldn't have the shield of his other friends. 

 

"Myungsoo told me what happened."

 

Byunghun snorted, leaning back against the wall. Jonghyun noticed how disinterested the older looked. Like he couldn't care less what happened. "And?"

 

"I think you need to know something about that night."

 

"I don't care. I. Don't. Care. He can do whatever the hell he wants, I don't care."

 

"Hyun--"

 

"Save it. Do me a favor and pack my stuff for me. Bring it here, I'm not leaving with you guys. Maybe I'll just stay. At least there aren't backstabbing s here."

 

"Miyoung drugged him."

 

Jonghyun saw what was a flicker of surprise--and was that relief?--wash over Byunghun's face. And Byunghun didn't seem to hide it. For a while, Byunghun just stared at Jonghyun, as if it was taking some time to comprehend this information. Slowly, Byunghun turned his head to the side to look at Chanhee, who was awkwardly standing there with Niel. Byunghun could faintly see Chanhee's shoulders shaking, and saw Niel handing Chanhee a tissue, with a look of compassion.

 

Miyoung had drugged Chanhee? 

 

"The whole night was planned. I can't believe you had the audacity to believe that Chanhee hyung would do something like that to you while he was sane. He loves you, you know that. He was so worried about you--all he did was cry." 

 

Byunghun refused to give in so easily. His heart did ache, as much as he didn't want it to. The walls of hatred for Chanhee he had built up came crashing down in an instant. "But the weirder thing is, Chanhee hyung doesn't remember what happened that night. All he remembers was talking to Miyoung about New York, and then waking up in your bed in the morning. He remembers nothing of what happened in between. How high of a dosage do you need to take to still be conscious for a while, and then completely black out on what happened before?" Jonghyun asked rhetorically. 

 

Byunghun clenched the hem of the shirt he wore, looking down. He didn't know that Chanhee was drugged...If he had...

 

"It doesn't matter. He still did it. On my bed."

 

Jonghyun gave out a frustrated sigh, before slapping the other boy's shoulder. "He didn't know what he was doing, you idiot! He was high--that evil girl drugged him! Just talk to him, hyung. Seriously. He even called Junhee himself, and asked about your whereabouts. He was the one that wanted to come find you. Please."

 

Byunghun looked up to meet Jonghyun's eyes. He had spent the better part of the past few days being angry, so he was drained. The after effect was overwhelming--after he learned that Chanhee had been drugged, and that explained his behavior, the energy he spent being so furious and hurt escaped out of his body like the wind, leaving him feeling exhausted and unsure of what his next course of action would have to be. "Does he know?" Byunghun lightly tilted his head towards the direction of Chanhee for a brief few seconds, implying what he was talking about.

 

Jonghyun shook his head. "Only Changhyun and I know. We didn't know if we should tell him." 

 

The numb feeling was there all over again. He wanted to run into Chanhee's arms and comfort him, say that he was sorry. But a voice in the back of his mind reminded him that no matter what the circumstances were, Miyoung and Chanhee were kissing half on his bed, and might have even had for all he knew. That still hurt him. Just the thought of Chanhee being with someone else made him angry--the thought of Chanhee having with anyone else made him so disgusted and revolted that he wanted to throw up. 

 

Byunghun was really conflicted. He didn't know what he had to do, or what was right. Did he have a right to be angry? Chanhee hadn't know what he had been doing, and it wasn't like he was doing it voluntarily. He was forced into it against his will. But that didn't change the fact that it had happened. He couldn't forgive so easily; even if Chanhee had no real part in it. It still happened. It still hurt. 

 

"Don't come find me again." Was all he could muster up as a response, and he turned to walk back into the apartment. But Jonghyun grabbed Byunghun's wrist, preventing him from leaving. "At least tell him why you're angry. He's been killing himself, wondering what he did to make you so mad. And it's not like Changhyun or I can go up and tell him what happened. It's better coming from you."

 

Byunghun knew Jonghyun was right. But he couldn't bring himself to do it. He didn't think he could say it without getting emotional, and the last thing he wanted was for Chanhee to see him like that. 

 

"Don't bring him around here again. I need a few days to think or...something." Byunghun calmly said, removing his wrist from the boy's grip and walking back to the door of the apartment. He had considered walking back without acknowledging Niel and Chanhee. And he was doing just that--his hands on the knob of the door. But then his body acted out on it's own, and turned around to look at Chanhee.

 

Jonghyun had been right. Chanhee's eyes were puffy, as if he'd been crying. There was no life in his eyes. His face was pale, thin, and unhealthy looking. The sheer amount of sadness and defeat that were held in Chanhee's gaze was almost enough to make Byunghun forgive him right there and then. He wanted to. But his mouth wouldn't open. The words wouldn't form. His mouth was clamped shut. 

 

He wanted to reach out to the boy, feel his skin, kiss him, bask the warmth that always radiated off of him. He wanted to curl up against his chest and sleep, like they used to every night. He wanted to be held by him, he wanted to hold him himself. All these things he wanted, and all he needed to do was one gesture, or even one word that would shatter all the unspoken misunderstandings and blame. 

 

But Byunghun couldn't. His throat felt too dry, his hands shaking. All he could do was stare at Chanhee, and even though he knew it wasn't enough, he turned the knob of the door and tore his eyes away. The door was open. Byunghun stood like that--his back towards Chanhee, his eyes staring at the wood of the front door. Without another look back, he walked in and shut the door. 

 

****

 

Jonghyun was probably the most frustrated out of all of them. Seeing his two friends like this was killing him--because a third party had created this division between them. And Byunghun knew. Byunghun had the upper hand in this situation, to just forgive and forget, but he didn't. Why? 

 

Chanhee was here. He was right at his doorstep. All Byunghun had to do was forgive him. And it wasn't like Chanhee had necessarily done anything wrong. How could Byunghun just look Chanhee in the eye, and walk away like that? If Byunghun was going to be angry with anyone, it should have been Miyoung! Jonghyun just didn't understand. He couldn't. He didn't understand why Byunghun was being like this to Chanhee. Byunghun knew how sensitive Chanhee was when it came to Byunghun. He couldn't do this to him. It wasn't fair! And what had he said? "Don't bring him around here again"? 

 

"What the is going on, man? What happened?" Niel asked, as the three arrived back at their suite. Chanhee hadn't said a single word on the ride home, and once they arrived back to the suite, he immediately walked to his room and shut the door. 

 

Jonghyun and Niel were seated at the dining table. Jonghyun wondered if he should tell Niel what happened. He wondered if he should just tell Chanhee what happened, too. It didn't appear as if Byunghun was planning on doing it anytime soon. And he couldn't stand to see Chanhee like this. 

 

"It's a long story, hyung. You should ask Byunghun hyung--I really don't want to spread the news to everyone if Byunghun hyung doesn't want everyone to know." Jonghyun cautiously replied, fiddling with his fingers. Woohyun came to join them at the table. He looked relatively calm and collected, despite the riff that was talking place. Byunghun had opposed the idea of the dinner, but Woohyun had pushed him to do it. Byunghun surely had feelings of anger for Woohyun. For sure.

 

"So, is anybody going to tell me what happened, or am I going to have to find out on my own?" 

 

"No. Stay out of it; you've done plenty." Niel sneered, glaring at the older male. 

 

****

 

Byunghun said he wasn't feeling well, and quickly enclosed himself in the room that Howon and Hyunwoo declared as his for as long as he wanted.  

 

He pulled his phone from his jacket pocket, that he had deliberately turned off. Curious, he turned it on and found fifty missed calls. Woohyun, Jonghyun, Niel, Changhyun, and Niel had called at least five times each. Chanhee had called him twenty five times, during the course of three days. He also found countless unread messages, mostly from Chanhee, some from Mir and Woohyun, and plenty from Changhyun, Jonghyun and Niel. They all asked the same things--where he was, if he could reply to their messages, call them, let them know he was alright, why he was angry, to come back. But one particular text, sent by Chanhee, tugged at his heartstrings so badly it almost hurt. There were only three words within the message. Words that he had heard quite often from Chanhee before. But even so, reading those three words, and knowing the fact that Chanhee had sent it to him, it made him feel something he had tried to avoid since he had been ignoring the other guys; guilt. 

 

I love you.

 

****

 

It was one AM. Byunghun tossed and turned all night, unable to sleep. He didn't know why. Or, rather, he did, he just didn't want to admit it. He missed Chanhee so much. He missed all the other guys. 

 

Byunghun could easily just call Chanhee, and mend things. He picked up his phone to call Chanhee more than once, but chickened out. Byunghun only got as far as typing in the number, but he couldn't bring himself to call. He made up as many excuses as he possibly could as to why he couldn't call--it was too early, maybe he was sleeping, maybe he was out, maybe he was angry and didn't want to speak with him. 

 

He was putting his phone back on his night table, prepared for another few hours of useless attempts at sleep when his phone started vibrating. With wide eyes, he slowly picked up his phone and read the ID.

 

His heart started racing. 

 

His breathing hitched.

 

Without much thinking, he pressed accept and shakily placed the phone next to his ear. 

 

"B-Byung?" 

 

Byunghun couldn't deny the feeling of complete bliss he found when he heard Chanhee call his name. He made a noise of confirmation. 

 

"Please c-come back." Chanhee's voice was a bit husky, like he had been crying before he called. "I'm sorry."

 

Byunghun exhaled, trying to collect himself and save some of the pride he still had. He couldn't show signs of weakness. So many people thought that your partner cheating on you was such a trivial thing to get upset over. Well, it was clear they hadn't witnessed it themselves. It drove a stake through his heart. Byunghun always thought he was stronger than this. But, oh how he was proved wrong.

 

"Do you know why I'm upset with you, Chanhee?" 

 

There was a momentary silence on the other line. 

 

"I...No. But whatever I did, I-I'm sorry, I r-really am...I want you here, p-please come back." Chanhee pleaded. 

 

Byunghun wanted to scream in frustration. He couldn't deal with this--this feeling of hopelessness and uncertainty. What was he supposed to do in a situation like this? Of course, all his friends would want him to let it go. If anything, it was Miyoung's fault. Byunghun himself didn't know why he was still upset. But at the same time, he couldn't bring himself to stop being upset all together. 

 

Tomorrow, he would have to come by the suite to pick up his things. He needed to leave. He didn't want to stay. 

 

"Don't call me anymore, Chanhee." 

 

Byunghun could feel his eyes start to sting. He didn't want to cry. He wasn't going to. He couldn't let this get to him. But it was hard with all the crying going on on the other line.

 

Chanhee was crying. Byunghun could hear him crying. 

 

"Don't talk to me anymore. Don't look for me. Just...stay away." Before he could stop himself, he could feel a tear rolling down his cheek. He didn't bother to wipe it away. 

 

More crying came from the other line. Byunghun refused to admit to himself that it made his heart hurt just as much to say those words than it was for Chanhee to hear them. Maybe even more. 

 

He pulled the phone from his ear. He could hear, very faintly, Chanhee's pleas of protest, begging him to not be like this. Pressing the 'end call' button, he threw his phone against the wall and buried his face in his pillow. 

 

****

 

"Chanhee, you have to eat. Come on, it's good! Room service in America is great!" Woohyun said, lightly poking the said boy. But Chanhee stayed so still that one would have thought he was dead. Chanhee had his back to Woohyun, his eyes boring into the bed that was Byunghun's. Byunghun's clothes were still piled messily on it, his belongings scattered on top of it as well. All his things were here--it was just him that was gone. 

 

Chanhee's heart hurt. He didn't think he would ever experience this kind of pain; he never knew he would settle down into a relationship based on his past of one night stands and meaningless kisses. When he had, with Byunghun, things were different. He realized what he was missing. He and Byunghun spent almost every moment of the day together, and with him gone, not to mention angry and completely ignoring Chanhee, as well as the others, without any given reason, Chanhee just felt like dying. He didn't want to eat, go out...All he wanted was to sleep. At least during sleep, he would stop thinking of that boy. 

 

Things got worse after the phone call. Chanhee never left the bed. He had cried so much that no tears would escape anymore--he had cried everything he could. He didn't talk to anyone, didn't look at anyone. Chanhee could still remember Byunghun's voice--it sounded so...sad. Yet determined. Chanhee wondered what kind of horrible thing he did to Byunghun to make him say that. And then he wondered why nobody would tell him. 

 

"Hyung..." 

 

Woohyun looked at Chanhee with surprise, quickly masked with a cough. Chanhee hadn't spoken much to anyone in days. Changhyun had come to the idiotic conclusion that Chanhee had gone mute from the shock. Needless to say, the guys forbade him to speak about Chanhee. "Yes, Chanhee-ah?" 

 

"What did I do?"

 

Now, this was an issue. Woohyun wasn't sure what happened that night. The only person that seemed to know was Jonghyun. But Jonghyun refused to tell anyone, for fear that Byunghun didn't want others to know. Woohyun felt like there was unsaid blame partially set on him for what had happened. Sure, he knew there was going to be some sort of drama, but he hadn't expected a full blown scandal. 

 

"I'm not too sure, saeng. But don't mope over it, everything will work itself out." Woohyun affectionately ruffled the younger boy's hair. Chanhee turned around to face him with tear filled eyes. 

 

"He left. I don't call that things working themselves out." 

 

Woohyun smiled sympathetically, sitting next to Chanhee's laying frame. Chanhee buried his face into Woohyun's side, clutching his shirt with one hand. "He'll come back. I'm sure he's just as upset as you are, Chanhee-ah. He just needs some time to figure things out." 

 

****

 

"Where are you going, Hunnie? Are you feeling any better?" Hyunwoo asked at the sound of Byunghun's door opening. Byunghun was too quiet nowadays. For the first few days he was here, he played around with Hyunwoo and Howon, watching movies and playing those handgames that were meant for seven year olds. But ever since Byunghun's friends came to see him, Hyunwoo noticed how dull Byunghun turned. Byunghun never told him or Howon what had happened, so it wasn't like they could help. 

 

Byunghun gave a very forced smile and nodded, slipping on his hoodie. "I'm going out for a bit." And with that, he left.

 

****

 

Byunghun took in a deep breath, putting in his earphones and plugging them into his phone. He picked the song with the strongest beat, and cranked it up to almost full volume. Sliding his phone back into his back pocket, he took out his wallet, and took out the room access card. He inserted it into the slot, and waited until the little light blinked green before taking the card out, placing it back into his wallet and shoving it back into his pocket.

 

Just focus on the music. Get in there, pack your stuff, and leave.

 

He turned the knob to the door, and quietly shut it behind him. Before he came, he texted Changhyun, asking him if there was anyone in the suite. Changhyun had said that only Chanhee and Niel were there, however, Chanhee was sleeping in Woohyun's room, and Niel was taking a shower. 

 

It was now or never. It was the perfect opportunity to pack his things and leave. With ease, he walked into his room. The room was empty, as expected. Byunghun decided to ignore the small twinge of disappointment. 

 

Everything was exactly as he had left it. His bed wasn't made, and half the things he had packed for this trip was dumped in clusters on the bed. He bent down, and searched under the bed until his hands came in contact with his duffel bag. Retrieving it, he threw it on the bed, and began folding and placing his clothes inside. The music was doing its job--helping him focus on the task at hand; pack. 

 

He had only gotten to his fourth piece of clothing when he heard something, something outside of the music pounding into his ears. Slowly, he pulled both earphones out. "You're back."

 

The voice sent shivers down his spine. It had been too long since he had properly heard it. 

 

He took in a shaky breath, before continuing to pack. 

 

Ignore. Ignore.

 

"Please...say something. Anything." Chanhee begged, taking a step forward. Byunghun had his back to him, and wouldn't spare even a look. 

 

"I'm not back. I'm packing and then leaving." Byunghun bluntly stated, no tone or life in his voice. 

 

Chanhee bit his lower lip and marched over to where Byunghun was. "Why are you doing this? Tell me what I did; I'll fix it. Byung, please!" 

 

Byunghun froze, and dropped the shirt he was folding. The bitter feeling quickly returned. "How are you planning on fixing the fact that you cheated?" He his lips, picked up the shirt, and continued with the folding. Using all his willpower, he focused on folding the pairs of jeans that were sprawled across his bed. 

 

It worked. For a while. 

 

Then he heard the sniffles. "I didn't! I didn't, I swear!" Chanhee threw his hand into Byunghun's bag, and started throwing the folded items back onto the bed. "You're not leaving me, I'm not letting you. You're not leaving!" Chanhee cried, wiping his trailing tears with the back of his hand.

 

Byunghun tried to remain unaffected. He just calmly re-packed the items Chanhee threw out onto the bed. Byunghun assumed that this would go on forever--Byunghun would put one folded item into the bag, and Chanhee would take out two folded items. But right when he was about to give Chanhee for bothering him when he was busy, Chanhee grabbed two fistfuls of cloth from Byunghun's hoodie from the shoulder area, and buried his face into the crook of Byunghun's neck.

 

Byunghun remained still, mostly from shock, as he felt his neck wetting from the other's tears. Chanhee's muffled sobs could be heard, and the said boy tightened his grip. 

 

Almost out of instinct, Byunghun almost wrapped his arms around the older boy, but quickly stopped himself. He hated seeing Chanhee cry. He hated seeing Chanhee crying over him even more. When Byunghun was away from Chanhee, it was easier to cope with this situation. It was easier to be determined to hate the boy, and it was easier to say that he was done.

 

Now that Byunghun was in front of Chanhee, his Chanhee, that was an utter mess...He wasn't sure what to do. He second guessed everything. 

 

A lot gentler than he intended, Byunghun pulled the boy away. Chanhee stumbled backwards, being saved by Byunghun's hands that were holding into his arms. The trail of tears had smudged all over Chanhee's cheek, and kept coming. Byunghun looked Chanhee dead in the eye, trying to distract himself mentally as he prepared himself for what he was going to do next. 

 

"Stop." Byunghun said, seating Chanhee on the bed and quickly stuffing the remainder of his things into his duffel bag. All his clothes and shoes had been packed. His shampoo and body wash were still in the bathroom, and half of his belongings were in the laundry basket, but he could always buy what he couldn't bring back to Korea.

 

He didn't have the time to collect all his things. The longer he stayed in the presence of Chanhee, the stronger the desire was to give into his heart. He couldn't. He couldn't allow himself to. Byunghun didn't know why. The fact that Miyoung had drugged Chanhee changed things completely. So why couldn't he just forgive? Why couldn't he let this go? 

 

Chanhee had sat still on the bed the entire time. The tears had stopped, but the lifelessness on his face was evident more than ever. He stared into space. Byunghun was right within his grasp. But he had lost him. Byunghun was leaving. He might have no intentions of going back to Korea; he might want to be away from Chanhee for good. The thought that this might be the last time he ever saw Byunghun was the last blow. 

 

Byunghun zipped up his bag and left the room as quickly as he entered it, without another word or look at Chanhee. Chanhee knew that there was nothing he could do anymore to change Byunghun's mind. He had a feeling that something bad had happened in between the time he was talking with Miyoung, and when he woke up on Byunghun's bed. Chanhee hated himself more than anyone. How could he let someone use him like that. How could he cheat--It just didn't make sense. Who did he do it with? Chanhee guessed that Myungsoo was the most likely candidate.

 

He was disgusted with himself. Of course Byunghun hated him, he hated himself. Chanhee let out a bottled up scream. 

 

****

 

Byunghun didn't make it very far. He had walked out of the lobby to be met with a brutal downpour. The area was empty. There were hardly any cars on the streets. 

 

Byunghun threw his bag to the floor and walked out into the rain, instantly met with the cold sting of the droplets. Hot tears flooded his eyes, and fell in endless streams down his face. He dropped to his knees, his hood falling down. 

 

Byunghun gripped his hair and let out a scream, a scream that contained his pain, his anguish, his guilt, his sadness. The tears never stopped, even when the screaming had. All his clothes were soaking, adding weight to his figure. He cried so much he started shaking, unable to control the choked sobs that escaped his mouth. 

 

His arms dropped to his sides, his head hung low. His hair was completely drenched, a pool of water gathering before his knees. 

 

Meanwhile, back at the suite, Chanhee decided that a walk would be best. He needed some fresh air, and maybe he could find some serenity in the rain to calm himself. How would he survive a lifetime without Byunghun if he couldn't go a day without crying buckets over him? 

 

Chanhee didn't know it was raining until he pushed open the doors of the hotel, the smell of the rain hitting him before the visual. The hotel usually had lights that illuminated the surrounding area during the night time, but they didn't appear to be on tonight. 

 

He stood on top of the stairs that led the way to the sidewalk. The feeling of disgust for himself wouldn't wash away. I don't deserve to live...I hurt him without even knowing it... 

 

Chanhee could only blame himself. He wasn't ever going to be good enough, was he? Stupid, stupid. I'm just stupid.

 

He shouldn't have made Byunghun go to the dinner. He shouldn't have sided with Woohyun on the matter. He shouldn't have been so foolish to believe that Miyoung as Myungsoo truly had good intentions. Everything made sense now. Chanhee was sure that this was all planned, and there was an ulterior motive to everything. He had fallen right into the trap. 

 

Chanhee didn't understand how a person could hate someone so much that they were willing to do anything to ruin things that were important to that person. He didn't know why someone would purposely try to ruin the one thing he cared about. Byunghun was more than just Chanhee's love; Byunghun had saved him. Byunghun had saved him from a meaningless life. The other boy brought meaning to a life Chanhee didn't think he deserved. Byunghun gave him love when Chanhee needed it most, despite everything Chanhee had gotten himself into. But in the end, everything was his fault. Because of his actions, he lost something that he treasured. 

 

Sighing, he began to descend down the stairs, but stopped when he spotted something out of the corner of his eye. Was that a...black duffel bag? It looked suspiciously like Byunghun's. Chanhee didn't want to intrude and check the contents, nor did he want to move the bag, because the owner might have been looking for it. 

 

He continued walking down the stairs, smiling sadly as he felt the rain pour onto him. His smile quickly faded when he saw someone sitting on the ground, a few feet in front of the stair case. Chanhee tilted his head, curious as to why that person was sitting in the rain. A pang of worry flashed across his chest as he walked the rest of the distance down the stone staircase, and kneeled beside the body. He didn't know enough English to properly express what he wanted to say, as he assumed it was a local. 

 

He placed a hand on the other's shoulder, stringing together the English words he did know that would be appropriate in this situation in his head.

 

Okay...Are you...okay? Why...sit...rain? Does that make sense?

 

Chanhee continued mentally formulating a phrase, when the person turned their head to look at who was beside them, touching him out of nowhere. All thoughts erased themselves out of his mind as Chanhee came face to face with Byunghun.

 

Chanhee's heart stopped. The first thing he noted was that Byunghun's face was wet. Although whether that was because he was crying, or the fact that it was raining, he wasn't sure. "A-are you okay?" Chanhee asked in a hushed voice. If it wasn't for how close the boys were, Chanhee's voice would have easily been drowned out by the rain. 

 

Byunghun's throat was dry from all the stupid tears he spilled. He couldn't answer, nor did he know how to. But he found himself shaking his head, and found the tears returning. The two stared at each other for a while, before Chanhee made the first move. He got up, and grabbed Byunghun's shoulders, helping him up as well. Without thinking twice, he embraced the other in a hug. Byunghun went rigid at the feeling of Chanhee's arms around him. He, once again, questioned what he was supposed to do. The whole point of coming to the suite was to pack his things to leave the next morning. It wasn't supposed to play out like this. How was he supposed to leave, now that this happened? 

 

Byunghun gave a hitched sigh and relaxed his body, tired of putting up a frontier. He didn't want to keep thinking about what he had to do. He was just going to let his body do what it wanted. Byunghun rested his forehead on Chanhee's shoulder, closing his eyes. He found it hard to care at this point; being in Chanhee's arms was enough for him. 

 

Byunghun found that Chanhee had pulled back too suddenly. Chanhee had this look in his eye, something Byunghun couldn't identify. 

 

When Chanhee pulled away, he found Byunghun staring up at him with an expression that broke his heart. He didn't know what to call it--sadness? Despair? Regret? Carefully, and unsure of how the other boy would react, Chanhee cupped Byunghun's face with his hands. This was it. How Byunghun reacted after Chanhee did it would be the answer. 

 

Slowly, Chanhee began to lean towards the younger boy, as if to allow Byunghun time to pull away at any time. His heart started racing, nervousness pooling in his stomach. Byunghun hadn't made any efforts to stop him yet, so Chanhee took this as a good sign. Before Chanhee could chicken out, he pressed his lips against Byunghun's, trying not to put too much pressure into the kiss, for fear of rejection. 

 

Just the feeling of Byunghun's lips against his was enough to make Chanhee moan, his eyes closing at the feeling he had missed so much. Chanhee's heart continued to pound abnormally fast, in a way that only Byunghun could create. But what seemed like a eternity into the kiss, Chanhee realized that he was the only one moving his lips. His heart dropped, as he flicked his eyes open, but not breaking away. He saw Byunghun's eyes, that were closed. That sent a new wave of hope to Chanhee. He doesn't hate it. That's a good thing, right? 

 

To Chanhee's delight, and to further enforce his assumptions, Byunghun started moving his lips with Chanhee's, subtly and carefully at first. 

 

Byunghun never truly understood how a person's entire heart, the fullness of their feelings, love, desire and care could be expressed in one kiss. Now, he did. 

 

****

 

Somehow, Chanhee had completely changed Byunghun's plans for the evening. Chanhee cut the kiss short, much to his disfavor, to bring both of them inside before either caught a cold. Byunghun has been noticeably shivering; the faster Chanhee could get Byunghun in a hot shower and dry clothes, the better. 

 

Byunghun was eerily silent the ride up. But he had gripped Chanhee's hand, and had leaned his head against Chanhee's shoulder. 

 

At the suite, Byunghun had taken a shower in Woohyun's room, Chanhee in the bathroom between the two other rooms. Chanhee had finished first, and had half laid down and half sat on the couch. Chanhee was glad he finished first; Byunghun might have left if he had finished his shower first. He was relieved that Byunghun seemed to be on the path to forgiving him. He was relieved that Byunghun wasn't planning on leaving. At least not tonight. Chanhee had at least one more night to change Byunghun's mind. 

 

It was then that he saw Byunghun emerge out of the bathroom. A smile crept onto his face as he saw the look on Byunghun's face, one that resembled a lost puppy. Byunghun crinkled his nose, running his hands through his blow dried hair. Tossing his clothes into the hamper placed beside the bathroom door, Byunghun walked over to Chanhee with a sort of embarrassed expression. But Chanhee just saw an adorable boy walking up to him, with a facial expression that made him want to hug the other and keep him in his pocket forever. Trying to contain his feelings, he opened his arms once he and Byunghun locked eyes. 

 

With something in between a grin and a smirk, Byunghun sat in between Chanhee's legs, and wrapped his arms around Chanhee's waist, leaning himself against his chest. Byunghun tilted his face up towards the other, a silent plea for a kiss. Chanhee happily obliged, one hand entangled in Byunghun's hair and the other pressed against the small of his back. The said boy completely melted against Chanhee's touch, marveling at how frighteningly right it felt. He immediately kissed back, preparing to reclaim his arms to wrap them around Chanhee's neck when the sound of the door opening reiterated throughout the suite. The two didn't let that bother them, at first. Byunghun was even more insistent in continuing, locking Chanhee's lips by moving his own to regain control. But it was the shrill of noise and excitement coming from the main area that broke the two apart. 

 

The boys had returned from wherever they were at, and that brought about loud shouting and playful bantering. Changhyun was the first one that saw Byunghun, and nearly broke into tears. "Hyung!" Byunghun saw Changhyun make a beeline for him, and stumbled off the couch just in time to sloppily accept the other boy's hug. "Did you miss me, Changhyun-ah?" Byunghun chuckled, ruffling Changhyun's hair. The other boys had piled in and immediately began welcoming Byunghun back with open arms. Changhyun still clung onto Byunghun, tears welling in his eyes. 

 

"See, there's that smile! You know what would have made you smile then? A kiss from me, c'mere." Niel teased, hands on Byunghun's hips as he leaned close to Byunghun, making kissy noises. Byunghun burst out laughing, leaning back farther and farther away. Chanhee knew very well that it was merely a joke, but that still didn't stop him from pushing Niel away from his boyfriend. "Go find your own person to kiss." Chanhee stuck his tongue out. 

 

It took some time, but Changhyun was finally pried off of Byunghun. Mostly because he had cried himself to sleep. Jonghyun offered to carry him to the bed. Byunghun gave Niel a smirk, and followed suit with Mir. 

 

Woohyun, seated beside Byunghun, nudged him subtly and lowly whispered, "Can you get Chanhee to eat something? He hasn't in too long, he's gonna faint without something in his stomach."

 

Byunghun went stiff, turned his head to look at Chanhee. The said boy was laughing and smiling, a complete (and good) change from what Byunghun saw a couple days ago. But even he had noticed how thin Chanhee had become. Why hasn't he been eating? "Chanhee, let's go to the kitchen." Byunghun said, giving Chanhee's hand a squeeze and getting off the couch. Chanhee followed, a confused look on his face as he was half dragged to the kitchen, leaving the others behind.

 

Byunghun sat Chanhee down on one of the chairs, and walked to the fridge, opening it and observing the contents. "When was the last time you ate?" 

 

Chanhee didn't answer for a while, as Byunghun pushed past bottles of soda and water to reach some leftovers. "I...don't know." 

 

Byunghun was able to get together lasagna, fried chicken, and cold rice. "You have to eat, Chanhee." He placed the containers in front of the boy, and twisted back to get a fork. "I just wasn't hungry, you don't have to worry." Chanhee mumbled, opening the containers as Byunghun took out a bottle of water and placed it in front of the boy. 

 

"Don't lie, you eat the most out of all of us." Byunghun snorted, taking a seat next to Chanhee and hugging his waist, lightly pecking Chanhee's neck. 

 

Chanhee managed a weak smile before poking at the leftovers, too consumed by his thoughts to salvage through a proper meal. He didn't want Byunghun to leave. He never wanted Byunghun to leave. Being without him proved how much Chanhee really needed that boy. But Chanhee's heart clenched at the possibility that this was a one time thing, and that Byunghun would leave tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that or a thousand days after that. Chanhee couldn't bear it. "Byunghun..."

 

Byunghun blinked. Chanhee hardly ever called him by his full name. He tightened his arms around the other male's waist and hummed in response.

 

"You're not going to leave me, are you?" 

 

Byunghun smiled and lightly nuzzled his nose into Chanhee's cheek. "I'm staying right here with you for as long as you want me." Chanhee could feel tears gather in his eyes and threaten to fall.

 

Before he could control himself, they did. Chanhee hung his head, shoulders shaking as the tears kept spilling. 

 

"Whoa--Chanhee, what's wrong?" Byunghun widened his eyes with alarm, cupping the other male's face with his hands and gently wiping Chanhee's tears with his thumb. Chanhee avoided Byunghun's gaze, sniffling in the cutest way Byunghun had ever seen. "Don't cry, it's okay," Byunghun soothed, lightly pressing his lips against the other's. Chanhee's heart started racing, an unexplainable joy rushing through him. That was the first time that Byunghun had actually kissed him first since he arrived. That must have meant something, right? That Byunghun really was staying, that Byunghun forgives him? 

 

Chanhee wasn't sure why he was crying, but the tears wouldn't stop. He quickly pulled away from the kiss with a blush, hiccuping and rubbing the tears from his face as Byunghun gathered him in his arms. Hesitantly, Chanhee rested his head on Byunghun's shoulder, and found sudden comfort when Byunghun rubbed his back. "I love you." 

 

Chanhee smiled, blushing harder. "I love you, too." 

 

*****

 

Byunghun slightly shifted, keeping a firm arm around Chanhee, who was sound asleep in his arms, and trying to reply to his persistent and more than annoying mother. 

 

To: Byunghun

From: Mom

 

It's important, Byunghun. You know how important the company is to your father. Just one dinner. Maybe a few get togethers. It won't be anything you can't handle. She's a nice girl, and it will make up for the mess you caused with her.

 

To: Mom

From: Byunghun

 

I don't want to do it, mom. I'm already interested in someone.

 

To: Byunghun

From: Mom

 

You're doing it. I've already arranged it, tomorrow at four pm. Meet me at the union station, the dinner starts at six.

 

He stared at his mother's reply, biting his lower lip. There was a reason why he liked when his parents were gone on business trips--they were too demanding. Business was their priority over anything and everything, and both were willing to put anything at stake to become the best. It was times like this when he wished his older brother hadn't been disowned from the family. His older brother would have been a much better candidate for this kind of thing. His older brother was more put together. Intelligent. Better looking. And obedient, for the better part of his life. It was when he refused to accept the scholarship he received for Seoul University and decided to go to a local college to pursue his dream to become a photographer. Their parents were so appalled by his brother's decisions that they had disowned him, saying that no son of their was going to a college for something as 'trivial and medicare as taking pictures of ladies, the sun and other useless pleasantries'. Byunghun's brother didn't mind being disowned, either. He said that he didn't want parents that wouldn't support his decisions to follow his dreams. Byunghun hadn't heard from him since a few years ago. 

 

As much as Byunghun hated the idea of sitting through a dinner, with countless company executives and their respective sons and daughters. He wasn't exactly corporate material, nor did he have any interest in that sort of thing. But at the same time, he didn't want to suffer the same fate as his brother. After all, they were his parents. 

 

At that moment, he heard the door to the room opening, and closing. A pair of feet shuffled towards him, and Woohyun's face soon came to view. 

 

"Hyung? What are you doing here, at this hour?" Byunghun asked, shutting off his phone and tossing it onto the night table. Woohyun gave a small smile, taking a seat on the edge of the bed, in front of Byunghun. 

 

"I just wanted to say a few things. Firstly, I'm sorry. I feel like what happened is partially my fault, and it was never my intention to, you know, cause such drama when the purpose of this trip was to stay away from drama." Woohyun sheepishly smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. There was a faint awkwardness between the two boys that was evident to both. And because they weren't as comfortable with each other in the first place, seeing that they had only met a few weeks ago, made things worse. "It's…okay, hung. Really. Sure, I was a bit irritated at first but, things have already settled down and everything's okay now so…" 

 

Woohyun gave a wide smile. "I'm glad you think so. I'd like to put this whole thing behind us after tonight. Speaking of that, I'm happy you returned. And in one piece, with no hard feelings, and with intentions to stay. We were all worried about you. Especially this kid." Woohyun gestured to Chanhee, who was clinging onto Byunghun even in his sleep. Byunghun nodded slowly, pursing his lips. He hadn't exactly returned with no hard feelings or intentions to stay, Chanhee had just convinced him to. 

 

"He was an utter mess when you were away. Yoo Changhyun even thought that Chanhee went mute from the shock and depression. He didn't talk, eat, or do much of anything. He slept practically the entire day, got up to take a shower, and went right back into his room. We tried to coax him into going out with us the first few days, but he didn't even acknowledge our presence, or give us some sort of indication that he even cared. Niel, the idiot that he was, thought that Chanhee had suddenly turned deaf, too. It was really a pathetic and dark time for all of us." Woohyun said, a hint of a joke as he entered the last few words of his reply. 

 

It took a while for Byunghun to process the information. So it was because of him that Chanhee hadn't been taking proper care of himself? 

 

A new wave of guilt resurfaced. 

 

"He missed you. He cried every day over you. He cried so much it was unhealthy. And we all tried to cheer him up, to try to get his mind off of things. I think it actually made him worse." Woohyun rubbed his lips together, a look of emotional pain written on his face. "I grew up with the kid, y'know? And never in my life have I ever seen him so upset. He never got this upset, over anything. After meeting you, it's like the twenty plus years he lived without emotion just came rushing back. And it's good! I mean, it's nice to know that he was human after all, underneath the tough exterior." Woohyun gave a quiet laugh, covering his mouth with his hand.

 

"You've really opened him up, Byunghun-ah. He needs you, so much. So much more than you think, or he can express. You changed him into someone who's sensitive, more caring, more humane. He's a changed person now, and I like seeing that from him. It sure as hell beats how he was before. But I want you to take good care of him, alright?" 

 

Byunghun nodded, a small smile forming on his lips. He liked hearing those words, especially from someone like Woohyun, who rarely gave compliments often. To know that Byunghun was an important figure in Chanhee's life was reassuring, and reinforced the fact that Byunghun needed to stay here with the boy he loved. Byunghun didn't really know how Chanhee was before the two met. But he remembered that Chanhee gave off a strong impression on their first meeting. It was hard to believe that that boy, and the boy he knew today, were the same. Now, Chanhee was so much…gentler. More affectionate, and cute. 

 

"I know, hyung. I'll do my best. Thank you for doing…this. Chanhee would have never told me anything you just said." Byunghun chuckled. Woohyun nodded with a grin, slapping Byunghun's chest twice playfully and getting up. "Get some rest. We leave the day after tomorrow, so we need to start getting things together tomorrow."

 

****

 

After Woohyun had left, Byunghun picked up his phone, careful not to wake Chanhee up in the process. Although, he wasn't worried, since Chanhee was a bit of a heavy sleeper. 

 

 

I'LL COME. BUT I'M NOT PROMISING ANYTHING. 

 

He put his phone back onto the night table, and was about to settle down into sleep when he noticed that Chanhee was shivering. Woohyun had the air conditioner blasting all day,  and because he couldn't stand the hot weather, it was always cold inside the suite. Prying Chanhee's arms off of him, Byunghun swung his legs over the bed and stretched his arms to grab the folded blanket that was resting onto of his suitcase, as well as the large duvet cover that the hotel had provided. He adjusted the blanket that was already covering the both of them, so more of it was wrapped around the sleeping boy. He took the second blanket he had grabbed and laid it ontop of both of them after he had laid down. Finally, he toppled on the duvet cover. Gathering the sleeping boy in his arms, his eyes skimmed past the digital clock, the large green numbers reading 5:08. Snuggling into Chanhee, he exhaled and prepared to get a few hours of sleep.

 

****

 

"Byung, wake up!" Chanhee whined, shaking his sleeping boyfriend awake. He was starving, but his body had registered that as natural because of the lack of food intake he had been suffering through recently. It was almost eight and Chanhee had stayed in bed faithfully for an hour and a half, praying that each stir, each shift, and each sigh meant that Byunghun was awake. An hour and a half, that felt more like eight hours, of no luck was starting to frustrate him. He had gone without his boyfriend for nearly a week, he didn't want waste time with sleep! 

 

Byunghun groaned, furrowing his eyebrows as he felt himself regaining consciousness. "What is it?", he managed to croak out. 

 

"I'm hungry!" Chanhee pouted, resting his head on Byunghun's shoulder. Then he paused, surveying the near mountain of blankets that were wrapped around him. Chanhee blinked in confusion. "Where did all these blankets come from?" 

 

Byunghun had mumbled a response, but the only words Chanhee could get were 'shivering, cold, grab, put, top'. It was unusual for Byunghun to sleep so late. Chanhee had observed that Byunghun had strange sleeping habits. Byunghun could usually never sleep later than 9AM, and always woke at around 7AM. Apparently, according to Changhyun, Byunghun had trained his body to rhythmically get used to that pattern. "He sleeps late, wakes up early; that guy is a mess," Changhyun had said. 

 

Chanhee voiced his concerns. "When did you sleep last night, Byung?" 

 

He heard an answer that sounded suspiciously like 5AM. 

 

Byunghun, with a heaving sigh, decided to get up, and slouched groggily on the bed. "Let's go. I have errands to run today." 

 

At the kitchen, Byunghun was surprised to see that Woohyun and Niel were already awake. Those two slept the most out of the whole group, he wondered what they were doing awake. Niel could sleep for an entire 24 hours, maybe even more if he wasn't woken. 

 

"You look terrible." 

 

"Hyung, Byunghun hyung is gonna need to borrow your makeup to cover up those dark circles if he's going to that dinner tonight without looking like a zombie." 

 

Byunghun eyed Niel curiously, as Chanhee tilted his head. "What dinner thing?" 

 

"You know, the one that all corporate heads and CEOs are attending, along with their potential heir. If I was invited, then there is no doubt that Byunghun was invited. And, by the looks of his parents, they're going to make him go to patch things up with Miyoung. Or find some new heir they can manipulate into dating another heir." Niel replied, in a tone so natural he could have been ordering at a restaurant. Byunghun sighed, shooting Niel a glare. Of course, that big-mouth wouldn't shut up about this. He was attending, he had promised his mother. And, he was going to tell Chanhee about it too, of course. But he planned to do that later, not right when he woke up after three hours of sleep. 

 

"Miyoung? Well, that should be interesting." Woohyun blinked. 

 

"Interesting won't even begin to describe it." Niel nodded.

 

Byunghun decided to tune those boys out, and shuffled over to the cupboard to find a mug. He was going to need a large dose of caffeine if he was going to make it through his schedules today. Chanhee was attached to his waist, whispering ridiculous nothings into his ear and making him uncontrollably laugh. "I don't want you to go, Byung. I just got you back and now you're leaving me again, I'm chaining you to a chair and forcing you to stay." Chanhee said, in an almost whine. He tightened his arms around Byunghun, and nuzzled into his neck. 

 

Byunghun grinned, placing the empty mug on the counter and turning around in Chanhee's embrace, crossing his arms over his chest. "That's not very nice, baby." 

 

"What's not nice is you choosing some a bunch of snobby old people and their equally snobby children over me!" Chanhee playfully shouted with an evil grin, as he adjusted his arms around his boyfriend and lifted him into the air. Byunghun let out a yelp of surprise, laughing loudly as he flailed his arms. "Yah, Lee Chanhee! Put me down right now!" 

 

"Not gonna, and you can't make me." Chanhee teased, surprisingly able to withstand all the struggling, managed to keep Byunghun in the air. 

 

Woohyun and Niel stared at the couple in dismay. "Even after erupting in that huge fight, when they're together, it's as if they never left." 

 

"I might puke." 

 

"Hey, at least Chanhee's smiling now. And Byunghun's back, without being all emo. Everyone's happy." Woohyun pointed out, rolling his eyes at the 'young love' and getting up. 

 

****

 

Throughout the evening, Byunghun occupied himself by texting Chanhee, Niel, Changhyun. Junhee and Hoya also happened to be there; he learned that both of them were also children of famous parents who owned big enterprises. It was a pleasant surprise, since he hadn't expected to know anyone there. The diner was held at an enormous room, that served as a banquet hall. One stretched out table was placed flat out in the middle of the room, covered in a silk cover. Plates and silverware were placed out accurately--one set for each guest. Everything looked…expensive. Even the chairs, which were just wood with purple velvet cushions. Vases of roses were scattered along table tops around the room, as were candles in candelabras, and those fancy plates encrusted with real jewels. The room was almost flashingly bright, the light even more illuminated by the crystals. On the left side of the room, there was a large, elegant-looking stage, concealed by a red curtain. Basically, it was just a charade to every other 'mundane' human. We're rich. We can afford these things. 

 

It didn't come to his surprise that Miyoung was also there. It also didn't come to his surprise that Miyoung tried to strike conversation with him, countless times. Dinner wasn't served until nine thirty, so until then, he had to kill time. He was pleasantly texting Chanhee, when Miyoung had not-so-subtly slid into the seat next to him. 

 

"Byunghunnie! It's been a while since I last saw you, how have you been?! I missed you so much! What are the chances that this event was planned in New York, the exact time you and your friends were here!" 

 

Byunghun stayed quiet, keeping his focus on replying to Chanhee's text, twirling the mint around in his mouth while some obnoxious, old rich guy was on the podium on top of the stage, sharing his pathetic sob story about his 'struggles' in business. 

 

To: 찬희♥

From: Byung

 

I hate this. Hate this. I hate this. Please just save me. 

 

From: 찬희♥

To: Byung

 

Just endure it for a little while longer, baby ;u; You can do it, hwaiting! ^^ I want you home, too T_T Niel is creeping me the out >< 

 

To: 찬희♥

From: Byung

 

You're so cute~ That idiot, what's he doing now? 

 

"Tiffany, go find another victim to spit your poison on. Buzz off." Another male voice startled him, but he made sure to show no signs of it. Tiffany was Miyoung's english name; he hadn't actually heard anyone use it, though. Regardless, he proceeded to reply to Changhyun's message, finding some kind of relief when he heard Miyoung walking away. The amount of hatred he had for that girl was unmeasurable. She drugged Chanhee, and for what purpose? Just for fun? So she could get vengeance for something? That was a sick and twisted thing to do. Even under the circumstances, which weren't even that drastic to begin with, Miyoung had crossed every line that ever existed, and was therefore dead to Byunghun. 

 

"What kind of deadly sin did you commit in your past life to have her stick around you?" The male asked, in english. There was a hint of humour in his voice. Byunghun looked up from his texting, to see an American boy stand before him, a goofy grin on his face. "Killed a nun." He plainly answered, smiling a little himself before locking his phone and placing it on the table. The boy, who was standing, took a seat where Miyoung used to be, laughing. "That's badass. I'm JJ, by the way. And you are?" 

 

Byunghun hesitated a bit before answering. "Ljoe." 

 

JJ raised an eyebrow, a look of amusement crossing over his face. "Ljoe? That's unique; never heard anything like it." 

 

Byunghun rolled his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest. "I doubt you'd be able to pronounce my Korean name." 

 

"Try me." 

 

"Byunghun. Lee Byunghun." 

 

"…Ljoe it is then. You're welcome, Ljoe. You owe me." 

 

Byunghun furrowed his brows. "Owe you? For what?" 

 

JJ grinned, slightly leaning forward. "I got the she-devil away from you. Technically speaking, you owe me your life for that kind of honourable deed. "

 

JJ was an interesting character. Byunghun hadn't had a native American friend in a long time, it was oddly refreshing. "How do you know Tiffany?" Byunghun asked. The other male's cheery, mischievous grin faltered, barely saving itself. "Back in San Francisco, she dated a friend of mine. She's a nut job, and that's a compliment." 

 

Byunghun nodded, biting his lower lip. So Miyoung was always insane, he had just never noticed until now. Great. His life could have been in danger for the four years they were together for, and he was completely oblivious to it. Byunghun had always believed that Miyoung was just another average girl. She had won over his parents in a heartbeat. He was about to be married to her. 

 

The two exchanged conversation, a silent agreement made to steer clear of the topic of Miyoung. Byunghun learned that JJ was the same age as he was, and who actually lived in Atlanta. He was going into his second year of university, preparing for law school. That seemed much more impressive than Byunghun's resume, who was also going into his second year of university but with no plans for the future, who almost married a wacko, who's an unsaid disappointment to his parents, and most importantly, who had no interest in inheriting whatever business his parents had. 

 

"Byunghun, I see you've met JJ!" Junhee exclaimed, gliding smoothly onto the other seat next to Byunghun. She looked like everything else in this place--expensive. 

 

**Byunghun POV**

 

I looked over my shoulder to see Junhee beaming behind me, waving at JJ. I was too used to seeing her in sweats and baggy shirts; seeing her in a shimmery dress, with all this jewelry was still something I was going to have to get used to. Junhee really did know everyone

 

"You two look good together. And Byunghun, you're not scowling, that must be a good sign." Junhee resorted to using english. I rolled his eyes. "D'you hear? Girls' Day is here, and they're going to perform in fifteen minutes, isn't that amazing?" Junhee asked, mostly to me since there was a slim chance JJ would even know who Girls' Day was. What would Girls' Day be doing in New York? And exactly what credentials did they have to perform at an event like this? There weren't just South Koreans at this diner, it was an international organization. 

 

"The head of the event this year is the president of Samsung, who has a head office in Seoul. To represent South Korea, he has invited Girls' Day to come perform here. But Minah and Sojin were already invited, because both of their parents own similarly large companies in Korea, anyways. Isn't that cool?" Junhee said, smiling too widely. She was too excited for this. We lived in South Korea, we could see them in person. Who cared if they came here to perform. And why would the president of Samsung want Girls' Day to come perform? Wouldn't a veteran artist be a better choice, to better represent South Korea? 

 

"Ljoe doesn't look to pleased or happy about that, so I'm guessing the girls aren't as cute as I imagined they'd be." JJ nudged me with a grin. I playfully slapped his shoulder, sticking my tongue out at him.

 

Alright, so I met one decent person here. This night wasn't as terrible as I had thought it would be. That's not to say that I liked being here, though, which I didn't. I would much rather be at home, with Chanhee. And the other guys too, of course. But mostly Chanhee. 

 

I really had no interest in seeing Girls' Day--girls wearing scamp outfits dancing to scampy music? No thank you--and I had expressed these feelings to Junhee, and JJ, if he was listening. "A guy your age should be totally excited that you get to see Girls' Day perform for no charge. They don't just perform anywhere, you know. This might be the last chance you have to see them!" 

 

No charge? 

 

My entire life was the fee to see these girls perform. Crazy girlfriends. Crazy family. 

 

"I'm going to contract disease from all these snobby rich asses. I'm going to take my leave." I got up from the chair. Junhee looked mortified, and JJ looked as if he was going to follow me out the door. Maybe he hated this as much as I did. I was in no way shape or form suitable for these kind of things. I wasn't sophisticated, I wasn't knowledgeable, I wasn't interested, and I clearly lacked the connections that most people here had to be successful in the business. I guess some of the children here were up to their necks in excitement. 'Wow, I'm going to be inheriting the company I better suit up and listen carefully to every little thing that's being said!' Yeah, well that wasn't me. The only reason I was here at this damned event was because I didn't want to disappoint mom any more than I already had, with the whole Miyoung situation. She was really keen on me following in her footsteps, and one day being the CEO of her company. I hope my display today showed her that I was less than interested in this cheap, scrawny thing called business. 

 

"Byunghun, what about your mother? You can't just leave!" Junhee cried, grabbing my wrist. Her eyes were huge, like I had just announced I was going to murder everyone here. Which wasn't a bad idea, nor something that hadn't crossed my mind. "Hey, it's fine. I'll make sure he doesn't get into trouble, which'll probably be tough so wish me luck." JJ winked at her, that must be an Atlanta person thing, and slapped my back twice with a firm smile. Like he was actually going to babysit me. "You're leaving, too?! JJ, you're such a bad influence." Junhee shook her head at the both of us. 

 

"Fine. At least tell your mother you're leaving. Niel invited me over to the suite, so I'll be there. JJ, I'm sure you can come, too, if you want. Don't cause too much trouble, you two." Junhee gave me a look, telling me to behave. What kind of trouble would I cause, anyways. 

 

I found my mother, in the corner of the room, twiddling away on her phone. It was no surprise. I don't think she even heard what I was saying, but when I told her I was leaving, she just nodded her head. With her eyes still glued to the screen and one pair of fingers rapidly tying a response, her free hand dug into her purse and she took out a wad of bills. She practically shoved them into my hands, and shooed me away. I shrugged, placing the bills into my back pocket and proceeding to the exit, where JJ was waiting for me. 

 

"I like how your mother works. Very efficient." JJ sarcastically remarked, pushing open the doors and letting in a fresh gust of wind into the hall. It felt refreshing, after being locked up in that place. Sure, the room was too spacious, but I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic in there. Must be the sweat of the pathetic guys, and girls, who were desperate to inherit their parents' companies. 

 

"Have you seen anything of New York, yet?" He asked me, as we began walking the crowded streets. The sky was a darkening blue, the street lights just beginning to contrast against the sky. The roads were still blocked up for miles, cars honking and the occasional freak who would start cursing. "No, nothing yet. I'm not that interested, either." I replied, crossing my arms over his chest. JJ was a good three inches taller than me, and he looked like any typical heir would. Good looking. Sophisticated looking. Smart looking. Kinda set me on edge. Sure, he was cool. He was sarcastically funny, and was a lot like me in a lot of ways. Didn't mean I wanted to spend time with him. 

 

"How long are you staying here for, then? You know, before returning to Korea?" 

 

It never ceased to amaze me how Americans said Korea weirdly. Maybe it was just me, but they made the word sound so choppy and clear cut. Koh. Ree. Ah. Instead of Korea. 

 

"Leaving tomorrow, actually." 

 

I thought I saw a trace of disappointment cross his face, which was quickly replaced by a wide grin. "Then we have a lot to do. First, let me take you out to dinner. There's a restaurant that's not far from here that serves amazing Italian food. You have to have Italian food when you come to New York." 

 

I couldn't help but laugh at his eagerness. "JJ, you don't have to 'take me out' anywhere. I'm fine, I promise. You should get back to the dinner. Your mother or father is probably waiting for you. And you can't leave Junhee in there by herself, who knows what kinds of things she'll do." I say. Although truthfully, I don't want him to leave. He was fun; probably the best thing about this whole night. I just didn't want him to feel like he was obligated to do this, which he wasn't. I wasn't exactly the easiest person to deal with, or tame. I could always look at New York…on the taxi ride to the air port. And besides, touring one of the most well-known cities in the world with someone I met just three hours ago seemed odd. I didn't know anything about him. He could be a kidnapper for all I knew. I would much rather be with Chanhee. 

 

"I'd much rather hang out with you. And Junhee can handle herself. Come on, I'm starving."

 

****

 

It was close to midnight when Byunghun returned back to the hotel. Him and JJ had left the dinner at around six. They had dinner, which JJ ultimately paid the bill for much to Byunghun's protest. They then walked to Times Square, and toured around there for a bit. The buildings, the lights, the people in general, it just amazed Byunghun to an extent where his usual cold look was replaced by utter fascination, words unable to form themselves out of his mouth. JJ, at the last minute, decided to drag Byunghun along to a night ferry, which brought passengers pretty far out into the waters, so a perimeter of New York could be seen. It was breathtaking, and Byunghun certainly had a good time. 

 

Byunghun thanked JJ for the night. He had a lot more fun than he had thought, and was kind of bitter about saying goodbye. He still didn't know much about JJ, and hadn't told much about him to JJ, either. But, JJ proved himself to be trustworthy, and definitely worth time, too. They exchanged numbers, and said a final goodbye at the dock. The 'tour' had put Byunghun in a good mood, and his mood was further lifted at the thought that he would finally see Chanhee. 

 

As she said, Junhee was already at the suite, talking to the boys. She had changed into more casual clothes, and was animatedly talking to the others. Byunghun heard his name come up more than a few times as he walked in. He was greeted by Chanhee, who nearly tackled him to the ground, showering him with kisses. "ImissedyouImissedyouImissedyouImissedyou!" Chanhee cried, clinging onto the laughing Byunghun. Byunghun pecked his boyfriend on the lips, a smile gracing his lips. 

 

"Wow, the first time all night he smiled a genuine smile. Chanhee, you are a miracle worker." Junhee muttered. Byunghun snapped his head up to look at her, narrowing his eyes. "Not even Girls' Day could make him smile. He didn't even stay for the performance, he left an hour after he arrived, with JJ. What'd you do for a good six hours?" Junhee asked, eyebrows slightly raised. Byunghun internally groaned. He didn't want to deal with this right now. He felt Chanhee loosen his grip, and knew that he was giving him the same surprised look. "Nothing bad. We just got something to eat, and we walked around Times Square. Jeez." Byunghun hugged Chanhee tightly. Was it bad, that he had spent so much time with JJ? It wasn't like anything happened. It was just like hanging with one of the guys. 

 

Chanhee seemed to accept Byunghun's answer, and it seemed like he had forgotten about it, anyways. 

 

Junhee left a few minutes later.

 

That night, Byunghun found it hard to sleep. He felt a bit guilty. He shouldn't have gone out with JJ. Even if nothing happened, he should have came straight here when he decided to ditch the dinner, to Chanhee. He had wanted it, too. But, he let JJ take control of the night, which was his first mistake. God, that was stupid. 

 

"Chanhee, are you sleeping?" 

 

He heard Chanhee sigh, slightly shifting. Chanhee still had his back to Byunghun. He was upset. "Go to sleep, Byung. We have to be at the airport by seven tomorrow morning." 

 

Byunghun pouted slightly, wrapping his arms around Chanhee's middle from behind. He buried his face in Chanhee's upper back. "Don't be mad." 

 

"I'm not." 

 

"Yes you are, I can tell. I swear, nothing happened. I didn't invite him; he just invited himself." 

 

"You don't have to account for your actions to me." 

 

"Chanhee. Please. Don't be like this." 

 

Chanhee turned around, to face Byunghun. He cupped the other male's face, and lightly pressed his lips against Byunghun's. After lingering for a brief few moments, he pulled away and looked Byunghun in the eyes. "I'm not mad, see? I just--" Chanhee trailed off, his lips before filing his arms away and pecking Byunghun's cheek. "You're mine. That's all. Now go to sleep." 

 

****

 

(One Week Later)

 

**Byunghun POV**

 

I was out late, to Woohyun's apartment. Since we got back from New York, I spent more time at Changhyun's house. Jonghyun did, too. Jonghyun still has a crush on Changhyun; it's kind of cute, actually. His face lights up whenever Changhyun walks into the room, and he looks happy whenever Changhyun talks to him. Their relationship hasn't really progressed much since New York, when they slept in the same bed. They're still friends. Changhyun is oblivious to all this, or at least that's what I think. He wouldn't be cruel enough to completely ignore Jonghyun's feelings, if he knew. 

 

God, those two are gonna end up together. 

 

Chanhee usually stayed at Woohyun's apartment, and so did Niel. I felt kind of bad for Woohyun, to deal with Niel and all that craziness when Niel was initially my friend, but Woohyun didn't seem to mind. Chanhee wanted to stay at Changhyun's house as well, and I wanted him to do so, too. Changhyun's parents didn't care much. And Chanhee never talked about his parents at all, but I assumed that they were fine with it, too. Woohyun was the one that wasn't fine with it. "You've only been dating for half a year, and you're already going to live with him? No." That's what he had said. 

 

I guess that was that. I saw Chanhee every day, anyways. And Chanhee slept over most nights, anyways. 

 

Just thinking about him brought a smile to my lips. He was so perfect, and he made me so much happier than anyone I've ever known. Being with him sometimes seemed like the only thing that got me going. It was already six months since we've got together, but it hardly felt like it. As the months went by, we just got closer. I loved him more everyday, and found new things to appreciate about him. 

 

I had to go to Woohyun's house to pick up my textbooks. I had left them there when I was tutoring that idiot Niel in math. 

 

His house was a thirty minute walk from Changhyun's house, but I knew a shortcut, through an alleyway between two housing buildings. That would cut the time in half. I could always go tomorrow morning, but I wanted to review the text for the maths test tomorrow. The sidewalks was eerily silent and empty. No lights were on in the buildings, but to be fair, it was two in the morning. The street lamps provided a dull, yellow light. 

 

All I heard was my footsteps against the pavement. Then, I heard something. 

 

A ruffle of fabric. 

 

I was wearing a t-shirt, and sweat pants. It couldn't have been me. 

 

But I quickly set my paranoia aside. I wasn't the only one here; there were residents here. Somebody could just be talking a walk, or was just outside for some fresh air. 

 

I watch too many crime shows. 

 

I took a deep breath, and continued walking. I heard nothing, which sent relief wash through me. It wasn't like I was scared. I just didn't want trouble. 

 

I saw the alley, not too far ahead of me. 

 

Then, I heard the sound again. Except, it sounded like more than one person. I whipped around, observing my surroundings. Nothing seemed out of place. Everything was silent. Maybe it was too silent. I swore, I heard the noises again. I bit my lower lip, turning around. Someone was following me. No, scratch that. People were following me. I could feel their gaze on my back. But I didn't dare look back again. I just needed to get to Woohyun's apartment. 

 

I clenched my hands into fists, and proceeded walking down the alley. My insides were jittery. I could feel another person's presence. My stomach flipped. What was I supposed to do? I had no weapon, no means of protection. I had no money on me. I left my phone at Changhyun's. God. Why hadn't I brought my phone? I squeezed my eyes shut, as I heard faint noises once again. The brush of a sole against the pavement. The rattle of what sounded like keys. 

 

I chose to ignore it. I opened my eyes, and willed myself to calm down. There was a chance that they weren't really following me. Maybe they were just on a stroll. On the same path as me. 

 

The fear was eating me alive. I was going to die here. I was going to get beat up and die here. 

 

I wished Chanhee was here. I wish I brought him with me. He offered to go with me, but I told him that I'd be fine. That he should go back to sleep. 

 

Now, I started freaking out. 

 

"Stop following me!" I screamed out. I paused in my tracks. Taking a gulp, I turned around. My heart was racing, the adrenaline pumping too quickly in my veins. 

 

It was silent for a while. Then, a low chuckle erupted. Two men large men in all black outfits stepped out of the shadows, evil grins plastered on their faces. They looked exactly like how people expected mafia leaders to look. Black hair. Beady black eyes. Scars on their faces. Rings, chains. Gold teeth. 

 

"No use hiding now, boys." 

 

The voice sent chills down my spine. I stopped breathing. My eyes widened. My fists unclenched. 

 

That voice…It was so familiar. It was so familiar, yet it was laced with so much evil and distaste.

 

"He already knows." 

 

A third figure emerged from the shadows. The white hair, the slim figure. The brown eyes. It was unmistakable. 

 

I whispered the name, in disbelief. No, it couldn't be... 

 

"…Chanhee?"

 

A/N: SURPRISE.