xiv

Black Paradise

 

R/N: This is like a collection of different events that happened sort of on the same day?? orz. Sorry it isn’t just a single plot line, but I had to get the plot moving soooooo yeah. OMG bipolar Byunghun *-*

“Byunghun, wakey wakey. Come on man.”

Byunghun’s eyes snapped open, to find himself looking up at Woohyun’s face. Confused, he looked around at his surroundings. Oh right, Woohyun’s apartment.

Sunlight streamed from the closed curtains, creating spots of orange onto the white floor of the platform.  He winced at the sudden light, his chapped lips. Cursing, he rubbed his left shoulder with his right hand. “Why the hell does it hurt so much?!”

Woohyun smirked, walking down from the platform and into one of the rooms in the right. Seconds later, he dragged a protesting Chanhee by the back of his collar. “You oh so kindly gave up your shoulder for this young fellow. Lee Chanhee-ssi, what do you feel about this?” Woohyun held a fist to his mouth, feigning a microphone. “Uh, yes Nam Woohyun-ssi, my back hurts from sleeping on Lee Byunghun-ssi’s shoulder but other than that he’s a lot squishier and more comfortable than he seems so it was quite good,” Chanhee joked.

Byunghun snatched a nearby pillow from the couch, and chucked it at him. “My arm might actually be dislocated because of you, you !”

“Oh shut up, you know you liked it! You could have moved at any time but you didn’t GUYS HE LOVES ME!” Chanhee shouted, running around the dorm in a frenzy. Mir immediately joined into the action. Woohyun looked at the two boys dumbfounded, before turning back to look at Byunghun. “It seems that we have two village idiots as friends.”

****

“Is your shoulder okay, hyung?” Changhyun asked, sitting beside Byunghun on Woohyun’s couch. Byunghun chuckled, nodding. “Yeah, don’t worry about it, Changhyun-ah. Did you sleep well yesterday?”

Changhyun beamed at Byunghun, nodding excitedly. “Yes! I hardly spoke with you yesterday night though, so it made me sad,” Pouting, he fidgeted with his fingers. He wondered if Byunghun would take his statement seriously—since it was—or if he thought it was just another cute gesture. It turned out to be the latter. Byunghun ruffled Changhyun’s hair. “I already know you’re cute Changhyun-ah, no need to be cringingly adorable,” Byunghun laughed, patting Changhyun’s shoulder before getting up and walking down the platform.

Cringingly adorable? What was that supposed to mean? He would talk to Chanhee endlessly but he couldn’t spare a few minutes to talk to Changhyun? The younger boy frowned, biting his thumbnail.

****

“Dude, I can’t get that creepy movie out of my head,” Woohyun punched Mir’s shoulder, groaning.

The boys had travelled by subway to Myeongdong, to spend their weekend there. At first, the original plan was to wait until Mir had woken up. So, the rest of the four boys faithfully waited from seven, since Woohyun had decided to shower at that ungodly hour on a Saturday, until twelve. Mir showed no signs of life. Sleeping like the dead, he had been sprawled on the floor of Woohyun’s room, a trail of drool leading from his mouth to the hardwood floor.

Woohyun and Chanhee had managed to bully Mir into buying them kalgooksoo, and since Myeongdong was famous for it, there they headed.

Chanhee noticed throughout the entire subway ride, and even now while they were walking the streets of the busy city, Byunghun was quieter than usual. With his brows slightly furrowed, his hands stuffed into his jean pockets and his gaze fixated onto the pavement ground, the kid looked distraught. Chanhee slowed down his walking, so that now Changhyun, Woohyun and Mir were walking in front of him and Byunghun.

Naturally, the room space that was reserved by his body dispersed as Mir subconsciously closed the space in, moving closer to Woohyun.

“Hey, Byung. You okay?”

Byunghun lazily turned his head to the side to face Chanhee, an odd glint in his eyes. Just this morning, he was playful and in a great mood. What had happened?

With a couple blinks, Byunghun turned away, looking back down at the ground and occasionally kicking a pebble. Chanhee noted this behavior, but shrugged it off. He’s probably just hungry.

****

Byunghun was furious. At who, he wasn’t sure. For what happened at that pizza place, for what happened yesterday night. He let Chanhee touch him like that. He let Chanhee sleep on him! He diligently tried to refuse any contact with Miyoung. Even simple things as holding hands, a gesture normal for couples. Miyoung had seemed to accept this fact, and continued to move along with their relationship.

But on that matter, it was as if since Chanhee rolled along, things with Miyoung were just nonexistent. He didn’t put off any time for her. She was always the first one to call him, the first one to text him. She was the one who asked for them to meet. He just obeyed with whatever she wished to do. What kind of boyfriend was he being?

And then the guilt settled in. He was treating Chanhee, a person he met just a few weeks ago, better than he was treating his own girlfriend whom he had known for nearly half a decade. Was he cheating on her? With Chanhee?

No. His parents were counting on him on making things work. Heck, he had even bought an engagement ring for her!

Ignoring Chanhee was the only solution. No contact with him meant that Byunghun had more time to start getting his act together and treat Miyoung the way she deserved. He would start with flowers. Or was chocolates a better option…

****

At lunch, Byunghun barely touched his noodles. Woohyun noticed that he didn’t seem as enthusiastic about the song that they were composing together. Deep in thought, with a person’s length separating him from Mir, Byunghun stared into his water cup.

The Miyoung issue was bothering him.

Should he tell her about Chanhee?

Or should he keep quiet?

No, telling her would just create drama and misunderstandings. If there was something there, if there were actually feelings there, then what would be something worth saying. What had happened between him and Chanhee meant nothing to him. Who was Lee Chanhee anyways, to come waltzing into his relationship? Did that bastard have no pride?

But Byunghun wasn’t one to talk. He didn’t fight for Miyoung, or their relationship.

What was wrong with him?

He slid his wallet from his back pocket, taking out a wad of bills. Nudging Mir, he shoved the bills into Mir’s coat pocket, whispering that he wanted to leave. Mir made grunted noises, and stumbled a few words out, confused and flustered by this sudden action. Without a word to the rest of the group, Byunghun stood and exited the small noodle restaurant.

The city was crowded at lunch time. The noodle shop was located in a narrow alley, with carts of merchandise on either side, closing the space in. There was enough space for four people to walk at a time, if they squished together. Carefully avoiding hitting any pedestrians, he maneuvered his way onto the open street. Popular pop songs were playing on loudspeakers of several clothing stores, their doors wide open. Even though it was spring, each open door he passed he was greeted with a gust of air conditioned air.

Now that his head was cleared after the short walk, he took out his phone. First, he would call Miyoung. He would ask her out on a proper date, treat her like a proper boyfriend, and have a good time. He also made a mental note to get some roses to give to her.

But before he could make the call, he felt his elbow being grabbed, his entire body being turned around. And he was face to face with the one he had so desperately chose to ignore.

“Please, just leave me alone, okay? I have a girlfriend.”

Chanhee narrowed his eyes at the younger boy. “For a guy who has a girlfriend, you sure seemed to be enjoying the heck out of yourself when I was touching you.”

“I was confused and couldn’t think straight. Maybe it was the alcohol smell in there.”

“So is that what you’re doing right now? Calling your girlfriend?”

“Yes. And if you would leave, I could save this stupid relationship.”

Chanhee’s eyebrows rose. “If it’s so stupid, why are you trying so hard to save it?”

Byunghun felt his blood bubble. Come to think of it, this was all Chanhee’s fault. If Chanhee could, for once, act like a decent person, then Byunghun’s relationship wouldn’t need saving! Giving Chanhee a glare, Byunghun turned around and resumed walking down the crowded street.