Chapter 10

In Blue Water

 

A few weeks passed by. Baekhyun and Chanyeol became good friends and spent a lot of time together…while Kai was always being left out.

 

“Hey Baek, want to go over to Sehun’s house today?” asked Kai.

 

Baekhyun changed from his swimming trunks and threw them into his bag, “Sorry, I’m going to eat with Chanyeol afterwards. Maybe next time.”

 

That’s what you said last week…

 

“Baek… don’t you think you’ve been spending too much time with Chanyeol and not enough with us?”

 

All Kai got for an answer was a smile from Baekhyun and a, “Bye!”

 

He felt like he was slowly losing his friend to some guy they just met only a few months ago. There was nothing for him to do now. He thought that Baekhyun would definitely say “ok” this time because he rejected his other offers, but no, he was rejected again.

 

“Haah, what can I do now…Luhan-hyung is working…going over to Sehun’s by myself would just be awkward for us.” He sighed his way into the library nearby and took a seat at one of the open desks. There were a lot of people at the library, being Saturday and all. Kai looked at his phone and scrolled up and down his contacts. Each time he passed by Baekhyun’s name, he stared at it for a few seconds before moving on.

 

Damn Chanyeol…all your fault.

 

His phone started to vibrate in his hands. The caller was Baekhyun.

 

He answered the phone and held it to his ear, “Baek?”

 

“Ah, Kai…Chanyeol can’t hang out with me today. Let’s go somewhere.”

 

The words that came from Baekhyun’s mouth didn’t make Kai happy at all. Sure he was able to spend time with Baekhyun now, but knowing that he couldn’t hang out with Chanyeol and just decided to come crawling back to him made him angry.

 

“Who do you think I am Baekhyun…I’m not someone that will stand being chosen when there’s no one else there for you.”

 

It was the first time in a while that Kai called Baekhyun his own name. Usually he called him ‘Baek’, but now that he used his name, things were getting serious.

 

“I’m sorry, Kai. I didn’t mean it like that at all.”

 

“Just stop. After you and Chanyeol became the best of friends you started leaving us behind. I thought we were your friends, but I guess we’re not that important anymore now that someone new came into your life.”

 

“Kai, please. It’s not like that at all! I never wanted to make you guys feel left out. It’s just that Chanyeol’s going through a tough time right now.”

 

“A tough time? Like what. Please enlighten me.”

 

“He was abandoned a long time ago by his parents and lives by himself. He has to support himself by working and he has to pay for his own tuition too.”

 

Kai couldn’t take it anymore. Chanyeol wasn’t going through a tough time right now; he had always been going through this. He should be used to it by now and he doesn’t need someone to spend every day with him.

 

“Baekhyun, seriously…Chanyeol has been dealing with this for as long as he can remember. It’s not the first time that he’s been going through this. You don’t need to be by his side every day.”

 

“Yes I did! He cried…he told me that I was the only one that never hurt him or pushed him away.

 

Kai wanted to shout at Baekhyun right now. He wasn’t making any sense at all. He picked up his things and rushed out of the library, into the parking lot.

 

“Baekhyun listen to yourself! You’re being stupid!” he finally shouted.

 

Baekhyun who was holding his phone to his ear felt his heart slowly rip. Each word that came out of Kai’s mouth hurt him. He never wanted this. He never wanted Kai or Sehun or Luhan to feel like he was leaving them behind.

 

“You’re the stupid one Kai!” shouted Baekhyun back to him.

 

“Since I’m stupid, I guess I’m too stupid to stay as your friend.”

 

Kai hung up and left Baekhyun hanging on the other line. He felt no regret at all. Baekhyun had been irritating him with things about what he and Chanyeol did after every time they spent with each other. It was time for their friendship to take a break…even if he had to make it seem like it ended. Of course Kai still wanted to be Baekhyun’s friend, but not with the way he is now. The Baekhyun that only spent his time playing games was the Baekhyun he liked...not this Baekhyun that only cared for Park Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun was all alone in his room, with the phone still in his hand. It was the first time that he and Kai had gotten into an argument. He never expected that the first argument they would have would end their friendship.

 

What am I going to do? I’m getting rid of everyone in my life to be with one person.

 

His fingers scrolled down his contacts to Sehun’s name. He wondered if the male would still talk to him after he ignored them for a while.

“Oh, is this Baekhyun? Almost didn’t recognize your name.” said Sehun, answering his phone.

 

Was Sehun joking? Or did he really mean it. Was he angry at him? Or was he not.

 

“Sehun, are you mad at me?”

 

“Of course I am. You rejected all of Kai’s attempts to get us to hang out together.”

 

“I’m sorry…Sehun…Kai is angry at me too. He said he didn’t want to be friends with me anymore. What do I do?”

 

“Kai’s just too deep into his thoughts right now. Give him some time to think and soon he’ll come back apologizing. That’s how our fights were. He was never one to hold a grudge.”

 

Sehun’s words put Baekhyun at ease. Knowing that Kai would still be his friend meant the world to him.

 

“Soo, why have you been spending all this time with Chanyeol instead of with us?”

 

“I don’t know anymore…Kai made me realize my stupidity. I just wanted to be friends with him.”

 

“Well, we can all be friends you know…I mean, I wanna hang out with this Chanyeol guy too.”

 

Baekhyun was surprised by Sehun’s words. He wanted to hang out with Chanyeol? Even after all the creepy things that he told Sehun. Sehun was a gamer, but he still wanted to see the world and make new friends. It was never fun for him to stay cooped up in his room anyways.

 

“Really? I thought you’d dislike him.”

 

“I don’t dislike anyone…if we all hang out then Kai wouldn’t have to feel so left out every time.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t want to wait anymore. He wanted to become friends with Kai right away. It didn’t matter if Kai was still mad at him or not. He just wanted Kai to be able to smile around him again.

 

“Thanks Sehun.”

 

“Alright, good luck.”

 

He hung up and ran over to Kai’s house, pressing on his doorbell multiple times. Kai opened the door slowly and saw a sweaty Baekhyun in front of him. He didn’t say anything and waited for the other to say a word.

 

“Kai…no… Jongin…I’m really sorry. I never meant to make you feel left out. I want us to be friends again. I can’t stand the thought of not being able to be your friend. Chanyeol had always been alone his life so I just wanted to be his friend. I was too stupid to think that maybe you guys might want to hang out with him as well so no one would feel left out…but I thought you’d hate him so I didn’t…I’m sorry.”

 

Baekhyun panted as each word fell from his mouth. Kai’s mouth formed a smirk. He opened the door wider and leaned against the door frame, “I’m sorry for yelling at you too…It gets boring when there’s no one around to hang out with you know. I’m fine with the idea of us all hanging out. I just want to spend time with you guys again. Just don’t hang onto Chanyeol so much…”

 

Like Sehun said, Kai never holds grudges. Even if he says that they shouldn’t be friends anymore, he will always have a reason for that. It always makes their friendship better anyways. After that day, Chanyeol started to hang out with Baekhyun, Kai, Sehun, and Luhan. They all got along well.

 

Sehun held a game in front of Chanyeol’s face, “You’ve never played this game before either?! This is the best game in the whole universe!”

 

“Sorry, I don’t really have the money to afford games.” said Chanyeol laughing it off.

 

“Come over to my house any time and I’ll let you play with my games…except on Saturdays though, that’s when I go over to Luhan-hyung’s house.” Sehun said, putting back all the games onto his shelf.

 

“Do you guys want to go swimming now?” asked Kai, playing a game on his phone.

 

“Yeah! I wanna go!” shouted Chanyeol, eager to step into the water once again.

 

“Same here!” Baekhyun said, after him.

 

Sehun and Luhan both nodded and that’s when they moved their hang out spot to the swimming pool. They all jumped into the water and took advantage of the empty spaces that weren’t used by the classes. They had the whole pool to themselves. Baekhyun and Chanyeol swam over to the deeper end while Kai and the others decided to stay near the middle, where it was deep but shallow as well. Baekhyun was better at swimming now since Chanyeol had been giving him private lessons on days he wanted to swim. Chanyeol started to dive down to the bottom of the pool and Baekhyun followed after him. They started to pretend to fight under water. Their skin grazed each other and their bodies were close. The moving water made them move closer and closer to each other until they fell into a hug. Their chests stuck to each other and their legs were tangled. Baekhyun’s heart started beating and Chanyeol’s did the same. They could feel the heat starting to form between them, noticing each other’s red faces. Slowly, Chanyeol moved his face closer to Baekhyun’s and landed his lips onto his. The water made his lips feel soft. The kiss was gentle but rough because of the water. Baekhyun was surprised at Chanyeol’s sudden movement. The kiss was unexpected but he loved the way Chanyeol’s lips felt against his. It was his first kiss and it was under water. Their bodies were tangled with each other and their friends were just metres away from them. The two started to run out of breath and swam up to the surface to breathe in some air. Luckily, the others had their backs turned to them the whole time so no one noticed the event. Their cheeks were still red and hot. They felt awkward as they sent each other gazes each second. Baekhyun put one hand onto the pool wall to help himself float leaving his other hand swaying loosely in the water. Chanyeol kept treading in the water and managed to find Baekhyun’s other hand. He pulled the hand into his own and held it as he stared at the other male in front of him. Neither of them said a word and just stared at each other. Sehun noticed that they were being too quiet and decided to look over their way.

 

“What are you two doing? Staring contest?”

 

Chanyeol quickly let go of Baekhyun’s hand and nodded at Sehun, “Yeah, I won.”

-------
>.< hope you like it.