Dream 18: On the Verge of Waking up

Dreams of Red Snow

They were not complete.

Their irreplaceable leader slept in white room, wrapped in silence and dim light. Their youngest but smartest member sat behind mounted virtual screens, alert to any movement within the perimeter. Their strong and tender-hearted member stood alert within the company walls, protecting innocent eyes from the darkness that lurks outside.

Jessica was back in her game. At the recovery of her memories, she has reclaimed her former position; her sword of cold justice was securely tucked behind her as her midnight coat danced at the wind. Dusk-colored helmet shielded her face, but contrasted with her vibrant blonde hair. Though not apparent through the tinted glass, her icy blue eyes were open and in them, was determination.

“We’re near the place. Are you ready, Jessica?” She could recognize that voice at once, though coated with hidden transparency of pain from a half-broken soul. She drove to the front of the familiar van and made a sign, her thumbs up, before driving a bit more ahead.

In the van, the tension was heavy, each had different levels. Sunny stared ahead as she wiped her hands with a towel. When they were fully dry, she set the cloth down and opened her window. She placed a hand over the device by her ear and spoke.

“Proceed with the plan.” She said before slipping out the window, sitting by the sill before spreading her jacket outward, the strength of the wind getting caught, lifting her body in midair and out of the vehicle. She let go of her jacket, landing near a skyscraper near the freeway and then, running forward with a speed she never had. Her red eyes gleamed with familiar amber, which she hopes to see again without the need for a mirror.

“Like old times?” Yuri’s voice came through. Sunny allowed a small smile to grace her lips before she replied in agreement. Has it only been about five years since she ran on top of these very buildings, running away from one whose arms she should be running towards to? And now, those same arms have minimum life in them, without the strength to outstretch itself at her definite return.

“Ya! Stop kissing Yoong, Yuri! She’s behind the wheel!” Tiffany’s voice echoed in everyone’s receivers, earning laughs in return. No sooner than this outburst, Yuri’s form was seen, jumping from buildings miles away from Sunny.

“Be careful on the way out, Soo.” Sunny said, earning a somewhat lengthy silence before a “thank you” echoed back. She could hear the sadness in Sooyoung’s voice, knowing fully well that her friend, no matter how she had acted, is still her friend.

“Let’s end this.” Sunny voiced out loud as they near a familiar building, looking unchanged despite hundreds of years of mortality. “I will be there when my wife wakes up.”

 

Two entered through the parking lot, knowing fully well that their enemy expects them. Tiffany was armed with two swords; one was the sword of sacrificial love, the other, the sword she used as Tiffany Hwang.

She was followed by Yoona, who was armed with her silver pole that winked with the lights that watched their every move. Her green eyes scanned the area around them, its darkness, though not threatening, could freely turn its back toward them and strike them with a blade filled with murderous intent.

“Is it all clear?” A voice over both their devices rang.

“Though it feels like something would just pop out right before us, the lot’s clear.” Tiffany answered.

“For someone who is about to die, he sure welcomes us like guests. He even let us park the van here.” Yuri commented.

“He’s regal that way. After all, he is my uncle.” Jessica’s voice came through. Her voice wasn’t indifferent or concerned. It was concluded with a silence that the Jung was very much credited for.

Even Tiffany didn’t know how to break that silence without making it a personal conversation over a public network. Suddenly, there was movement around them, causing her to pause. But she didn’t have time to react when shadows engulfed her, filling her with darkness. She could hear the fear in Yoona’s voice beside her. The last thing she heard was Jessica’s worried voice.

“Tiff! Answer me!” Jessica shouted over the device. There was only silence. She gritted her teeth, her fangs coming out.

“Jessica! Yoona’s gone too!” Yuri’s voice was loud as well. Though Jessica was sure their anatomical heart were not beating anymore, she knew that her and Yuri’s body and mind were reliving the sensation of life; an imaginary pulse sounded off, rapid with adrenaline and anxiety before turning into power that became imprinted on the concrete buildings.

“Abort the next part of the plan. We go straight to infiltration!” Sunny said.

“No!” Jessica answered back. “If I ever knew him at all…” She paused.

 

Jung Sooyeon stared back at the man who ruined most of her childhood, bathing its innocence in the blood of all that will never be washed away. He was seated comfortably before her, a hand held out to her.

“Don’t be sad, my lovely Sooyeon.” Though she didn’t take his hand, he felt warm and loving. Knowing that she wouldn’t take his hand, Uncle Jung let his hand fall limp to his side.

“Why are you here? Dad banished you.” Sooyeon said with indifference yet with respect.

“Am I not allowed to see my favorite niece?” He tried but when he got an expected reaction from her, he relented. “I asked permission to see you before I move to Seoul.” He looked up at her before continuing.

“I heard your girlfriend got into an accident.” He saw a flash of hurt in her eyes, He stood up and walked away from her, knowing fully well that she wouldn’t like it if he approached.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He asked, looking at her reflection despite being granted a beautiful view of the ocean.

“I didn’t discuss that even with dad. What makes you more worthy?” She asked him, a glare starting to show. He let silence roll in between them before sighing and turning.

“I approve of your relationship. And I know my brother didn’t at first.” Sooyeon’s eyes widened as he spoke. “You deserve every right to be happy, especially after all that trouble I caused you… But don’t worry… Everything that dies will yield new life. You will find her again.”

“Just leave. You don’t know me or Miyoung. You haven’t even met her.” Sooyeon said, turning her back towards her uncle.

“I admit, I haven’t. But I know she’s the kind girl who loves you despite of who you were, are, and will be.” He said, with a voice that Jessica never knew he had – fatherly. She turned to him and found him with his arms wide open, asking for a seemingly final goodbye. At each step she took towards him, she found his eyes getting softer and softer, softer than a Jung would ever allow showing. She was a step away from him and he let his arms fall down to his side. They stood there for a bit, before he reluctantly raised his hand and placed it on the crown of her head.

“I’ll see you again, Sooyeon. And that will be the last time for everything.” He said before vanishing until the last time.

 

“He would never hurt them.” She said with unwavering confidence. With that, they continued surveying the area, making sure that those not involved would never be a part of what was to come. They stopped shortly.

A man in a suit stood on top of the building in question. He waved at them before turning to open the door as if to beckon them to his home. The four of them jumped towards the roof and stared at the man.

“Long time no see, Dear Choi.” He said to Sooyoung before looking over at the two at the back.

“You must be Sooyeon’s friends. I’m her uncle. Nice to finally meet you in person.” He offered them a tired smile, which didn’t go unnoticed by everyone else. Then, he looked at Jessica.

“How are you doing, Sooyeon?”

“I don’t have time for this, Uncle. Where are they?” Jessica saw him frown in disappointment.

“They are inside, taking a nap.” When he sensed hostility, he raised both his hands and said, “Taking a nap, meaning they will wake up in a few minutes after tea is done.” He said before holding the door for them. When they didn’t move, he gave them a questioning look.

“Well? Do you want the easy way or the hard way? I would much prefer the easy way but, how boring would that be?” He said, begrudgingly. He entered first and they followed.

Down the stairs, they walked about two floors down before they found the hallway. Despite the years that have passed, not much has changed since the elder Jung’s banishment. He led them to a room where they found Yoona and Tiffany leaning on each other, dozing off. Without a sound, Yuri ran towards them and sighed in thankfulness. He was right. They were sleeping.

“Poor girls. They didn’t have any time to sleep yesterday, did they?” He said as he watched the group walk over to the two sleeping.

“Why did you knock them out?” Sunny asked. Uncle Jung looked at her, not answering right away.

“You’re here for the cure, aren’t you?” He said, earning a glare from Sunny.  “I can’t give it to you until I die. You will just have to wait, Ms. Lee.” He answered. He moved to the door and paused.

“Two of you stay here. Two of you, come with me.” He said before opening the door and exiting, leaving it ajar. Yuri was definitely going to stay beside Yuri. Sooyoung was about to move to follow the Jung but a younger Jung stopped her.

“This is between him and I, Soo. I want you to stay here until Tiffany wakes up.” Jessica said as she took the Crimson blade with her. Without waiting an answer from Sooyoung, she left the room.

“Soo.” She turned at Sunny’s call and found a soft look directed at her. “She trusts you enough to look out for the one she most treasures. Do it well.” Sunny said before leaving the room. The smile in Sooyoung was different this time, and just as Jessica was back in her game just earlier, she was as well.

 

Jessica and Sunny walked behind Uncle Jung. When he stopped by a room, openly without doors, they stopped as well.

“Well, shall we chat over tea?” He said, moving in the empty room towards a cart with brewed tea placed on it.

“Seeing as you moved us from the other room, you expect us to do more than just chat with you.” Sunny voiced out.

“Don’t be hasty. Your life is not on the line. It’s mine so let me decide when it will end.” He said somewhat on the verge of complaining. He offered them tea but when they didn’t drink, he sighed.

“Fine.” He drank the tea as the two stood away from them. When he was finished, he placed the used cup on the cart.

“Let’s end this quick. I would hate to explain more than I left the world with.” He closed his eyes and when it opened, they were black as death. Jessica stood ready with the Ice Blade in both of her hands, the Crimson blade secured on her back. Sunny opened her hands and materialized familiar .44 Magnum revolvers.

She shot at the elder Jung, who avoided easily as if dancing in the air. Jessica moved closer, her sword ready to strike. However, he only moved to the side at each strike. When his clothes were slightly caught by the blade, he stepped away. He looked at it and there were ice shards at the tear.

“Well. You really want me dead, don’t you?” He commented, his black eyes stared at them in amusement. He raised his hands from his sides, his hands being wrapped in black light. Dark entities formed from the floor, two of them to be exact. Jessica paused in her attacks as well as Sunny.

“What are those?!” Sunny asked as she looked at the creature before her.

“Those are the manifestation of his powers. Those are shadows, ours to be exact.” Jessica answered. The elder Jung clapped his hands.

“You remembered well, Sooyeon. I was worried you wouldn’t remember.” He crossed his hands over and the shadows took a more vivid form, though not reflecting any colors. “Then you should remember how they work.” At the flick of his wrist, the shadows charged at them.

Sunny shot at the creature and surely enough, the bullets just went pass them, creating a momentary hole but not damaging enough to slow it down. The shadow didn’t have any weapons but when it raised its leg to kick, it caused Sunny to recoil at the attack, hitting one of the walls.

The shadow before Jessica had an eerie smile before it charged as well. Wide-eyed and expecting the worst, she stumbled back as it got closer before letting her body do its job. She jumped back, bringing her legs up and using her hand as stand to support her body. Not much space to go around, her feet felt the firm wall halt movement so she decided to charge at the shadow head on. At the rebound, the Ice Blade slashed the dark entity in half. Bigger ice shards than what formed on the elder Jung’s sleeves prevented the shadow from forming back. It fell with a soundless thud.

Jessica approached it to see if she had succeeded in her unplanned attack. It looked immobilized, but when it smiled at her, she moved back as it got on its hands and feet, ready for another round.

“Jessica!” She looked back to see the four who had been in the other room, at one in particular who called her name. Because of such distraction, she didn’t notice the shadow come near her. It grabbed hold of her legs and threw her on the opposite side of the room.

“Jessi!” Tiffany called out, her irises turning cinnabar from warm brown eyes. She brought the metal blade to her side, charging at the shadow. However, since it had been an ordinary blade, it sliced through but did no damage. It let out a sinister laughter, causing discomfort to run through their spines. Tiffany found Sooyoung in front of her, holding out her hands, a familiar opal light forming a barrier around her.

Yuri and Yoona noticed Sunny push off the other shadow and they jumped to her side, offering back up and protection.

“Jessica!” Sooyoung called out, earning Jessica’s attention as well as the shadow’s. It charged towards Jessica since she was the first target.

“What?” Jessica asked, standing up with the Ice Blade. When their eyes met, Jessica remembered the Crimson Blade on her back. She let the other blade weigh down on her left hand before she raised her right to draw the other out.

The blades pulsated. Jessica let her body swivel, swinging the swords around, catching the incoming shadow in proximity. It shrieked upon contact with the blades before it vanished completely. Blue eyes scanned the area to find another shadow on the other side of the room. Jessica moved closer to it.

“Nice try, Sooyeon. But let me spend my last few minutes with you.” Uncle Jung said, moving his hands toward the ceiling. Jessica felt herself pulled away from her destination as at least ten shadows appeared between her and the others.

“There’s only one way to end this.” His voice echoed in the room. Jessica her heels and faced her uncle. Her icy blue eyes gleamed and her fangs bared itself against him. She raised both swords on level with her torso and blue aura enveloped them.

“Jessica!” Multiple voices rang in the room as the two swords molded into one. As the distance between her and her uncle lessened, the dark aura purposely weakened. Flesh was pierced by the joined blade. There wasn’t much that she saw in his eyes. Not even pain.

“Thank you, my beloved Sooyeon. You really are my favorite niece.” He said as he fell to the ground. His black eyes reverted back to dull, brown ones, the shadow around the room gave a dying whimper before shredding away. Jessica knelt beside his fallen form, the two blades separated and left to stand on their own.

Everyone in the room, Sunny, Tiffany, Yuri, Yoona, and Sooyoung all watched. They watched as Jessica bend down as if to hear the dying Jung’s last words. Slowly, which didn’t even seem slow at all, his body started disintegrating to dust. His hand held two vials, both were filled with red liquid. He let those fall in the soft palms of his beloved niece, before offering a smile that Jessica had seen only once before. And he was gone.

“Soo.” Jessica called out, waiting for Sooyoung to come next to her. When she did, she held out one of the vials, keeping the other one in her coat.

“This is for Taeyeon. He said she’ll wake up as soon as this fills up her system.” Jessica said, not taking her eyes off the dust on the floor.

“You guys can go. I’ll stay here for a little while.” Jessica whispered, but it was loud enough for everyone to hear. Sooyoung left the room with Sunny first, followed by Yuri and Yoona. Tiffany didn’t move from her spot. When everyone was gone, only her and Jessica left, she moved closer to the girl. She brought her arms around to envelop the Jung in warmth. Jessica didn’t say anything but allowed herself to be embraced. No tears. No laughter. No frowns or smiles. And Tiffany understood her just fine.

 

Jessica and Tiffany rode back to the Shi Dae Organization on her Yamaha bike. Like before, an extra helmet was in the compartment, allowing the both of them to ride back in safety. They rode down into the parking lot and took the elevator up.

At the familiar floor, they walked with their hands intertwined. Hyoyeon stood outside the infirmary door, waiting for them. They walked inside to find Sunny next to Taeyeon’s sleeping form. Sooyoung was over the computers, checking Taeyeon’s vitals. Yuri and Yoona were currently watching over them, chatting with Seohyun lightly. Everyone was there. They were now complete.

Just imagine the happiness that welled within their hearts when eyes lightly fluttered open, revealing warm, slightly dazed, brown eyes. Sunny stood up to look at those loving eyes, smiling at the miracle. Taeyeon’s eyes focused on Sunny, moving her hand up somewhat weakly. It moved to touch Sunny’s cheek, slowly as if reveling in on its smoothness. Though Sunny knew the latter felt foreign to her, at this small gesture, Sunny couldn’t help but smile, despite realizing the tears she had just began to shed.

“Excuse me…” Taeyeon’s voice was weak as it came out. Sunny looked straight in her eyes. “Why are you crying, Miss?”

 

A/N: Hey guys. Here’s the next chapter. I kind of liked this chapter. Don’t you think so too? And just imagine the last part in Korean. That would be just daebak!

I know it’s kind of late but when you don’t write for a while, it’s hard to get the writing drive back on. This one’s good though.

My other story’s next chapter will be up soon after this one. Thanks for reading. I’ll probably give one of two more chapters to this before actually putting up the complete label on this story. “How About Now? Is it Enough?” will be continued along with a possible new story. I volunteered, but I’d rather say I got recruited, to write into a story this other AFF writer’s idea. Expect that to come out later.

I only have three weeks of school. The week after this one is Finals Week. You all know what that means right? Then I have one last week of school before summer break. I’ll discuss more of my plans with you guys as we get closer to summer if you’re interested. See you all next time. ^-^v