Dream 17: A Person to Protect

Dreams of Red Snow

Sooyoung stood rooted in her spot for the past five minutes. Everything was still and that in its sense terrifies her. She struggled internally before deciding to look up to Sunny. There were so many things going on in Sunny’s mind that it was no question that her brown eyes were flaring red amber.

“I’m really-” Sooyoung stopped when Sunny suddenly walked closer until they were about a foot away. She saw Sunny raise her hand and she flinched. But there was nothing. Sunny brought her hand back down, an ever so pained expression etched in her face. Her eyes were glossy, tears threatening to fall.

Sooyoung watched Sunny turn to look at Taeyeon’s form and tears came down. The cause was a familiar frown on the leader’s sleeping face as if she had just been listening to the conversation. Sunny sat back down on the chair next to the bed and held Taeyeon’s hand tightly, tears still falling. She wept.

Sooyoung knew she shouldn’t speak at this time. She slowly walked to the door when lighter sobs echoed in the room.

“… Sooyoung…” She heard Sunny call. She turned back to see Sunny still turned away from her.

“Tell the others what you just told me just now. And make sure they know. Tomorrow morning, I expect them here, especially Jessica. No more secrets. Everything and I mean everything will be revealed tomorrow.” She said with authority that seemed was never there.

Sooyoung nodded.

“Seo, go with Sooyoung now.”

“Okay, unnie.” As the two were about to exit the room, Sunny spoke one more time.

“If she doesn’t wake up, Soo…” Sunny didn’t have to finish that sentence. If she did, she knew she will regret it.

 

It was dawn. Jessica and Tiffany were sitting in organization lobby. Hyoyeon was sitting alone on one couch and Yuri was pacing back and forth. Sooyoung and Seohyun were silent. The silence was deafening, unbearable. It was as if everything was on mute that even the clearly frustrated footsteps didn’t existed at all. As if on cue, Sooyoung’s phone rang.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Come up to the President’s room with the others. We will start the meeting.”

“Okay. We’re going now.” With only a few words, the call was over and the members of the organization went to the elevator to a familiar room.

The old vintage door was back in its place, looking as if it was not damaged at all. They walked in and found the room restored to its former glory. They found Sunny looking out the window. They sat down the couch. They waited for a few moments and Sunny began.

“Thanks to our partners, the construction crew was able to repair the room as it was before yesterday. The computers broken in the busy floors will be replaced as well as repaired this afternoon. The foundation of the building remains intact and the employees will be able to get back to work by tomorrow.” Sunny explained without question. She was dressed professionally, like how Taeyeon is every day in the company. She turned to face them.

“The media have scheduled a conference. Seohyun, you and Hyoyeon will handle them this afternoon. I trust that you will explain to them the explosions yesterday here as well as the one in the Gangseo district. The papers you need are here.” She said as she walked toward them and pushed a folder full of documents on the table. “If they ever request it, just show them this.”

Seohyun nodded as she took the files. Hyoyeon didn’t say a word so Sunny continued.

“Sooyoung, I think it’s time for you to explain everything now. And don’t withhold any information. This meeting will be archived and will be submitted to the vampire council.” Sunny said firmly.

“… It started two years ago. A year after Jessica went to San Francisco, I was in one of the conferences out of Seoul. I was in Busan.”

 

Sooyoung walked across the Gwangalli Bridge at night. After a day of medical conferences, it was relaxing to just stroll along the beach.

“Aah~ such a peaceful night.” She said, stretching out her arms as if reaching for the bright stars in the sky. She let herself fall on the smooth sand and face the shaded curtain, decorated with particles of diamond. As she watched the clear ethereal heavens, a painful smile reached her face.

‘I wonder if Jessica would love to see this… Just like how we use to when we were young.’ She mused over herself. A breeze blew by and she closed her eyes to listen to the voices of nature.

“My, my…  What do we have here?” A voice interrupts her peaceful musings. She didn’t open her eyes as the scent had not invaded her senses. It could’ve been just an ignorant human who doesn’t know when to shut up. But when another breeze brought her a familiar identification, she wasted no time turning to her left and using her arm as leverage to move at a reasonable distance. She raised her head at him and stood immediately; it was as if remaining in a kneeling position was paying him any respect despite the anger in her eyes.

“You.” Sooyoung’s voice dripped with hate as if the being before her had killed someone of hers.

“Is that the way to greet your superior’s brother?” The man said, a smirk evident in his face and in Sooyoung’s eyes, evil dripping from every word that came out of his mouth.

She didn’t answer him but she gritted her teeth at him, her senses aware of every factor around them. Even how he seemingly tried to breathe air was evident to her. The silent roars of the sea and the constant tremor of the wind, showing its discomfort, were there. It caressed them, went past them.

“What a lovely night, Dear Choi.” He said. ‘Should I address him as Mr. Jung required me to?’ She kept silent for a few more moments before speaking.

“It was, Vampire Minister Jung.” She said in the most polite tone she could muster despite her will.

“Glad you remember my brother’s teaching. I was beginning to worry that I have to teach you a lesson.” He snickered to himself, before continuing. “But I’ve lost the position years ago. Just address me by my name. I haven’t heard it in years.”

“Why don’t you say it yourself? I have no intention of doing a favor for the man that hurt Jessica.” Sooyoung said coldly.

“Oh, but simply saying ‘Jung Woong In’ to myself is no fun now, is it?”

“State your business with me. If you have none, I will leave with no intention of turning back.”

“I don’t have anything that requires your assistance. However, I may have something for you.” Uncle Jung turned from Sooyoung and whistled.

“What is it? A melody?”

“No. You’re too serious. Anyway, I just wanted to inform you. My beautiful niece will remember everything. She will come back to Seoul and she will remember. The torture and fear she had instilled on people, the humans she had killed, and there’s nothing you can do to prevent that.” His smile twisted maniacally that it was plausible to question if he had ever been once human who was born, grew up, and fell in love.

“Sang Doo Oppa said that it would take a pretty long time. And saying that once she comes back to Korea, which could be in a couple of years, is but a day in our lives.”

“It’s your call whether you believe it or not. But once she remembers, she will come to me.”

“Why yo-!” A strong wind blew and Uncle Jung was gone.

 

“It is him…” Jessica trailed off in disbelief.

“Ever since Jessica’s return, I’ve been trying to see how things are. I asked around and observed the cameras we had installed around the city. I knew that Jessica was having her headaches. I knew she was remembering… I know now that I did was stupid. I shouldn’t have helped him. And turns out, I just played a part in his plan…”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“… I am not saying this because I am ungrateful for what your intentions. But you really are a pabo, Soo.” Jessica said. Sooyoung looked up towards Jessica.

“It doesn’t matter whether I remember or not what happened before. I will come back to him. I will meet him. But after all we’ve been through as kids, do you really think that I will join him?”

“N-no! It’s not like that…” Sooyoung’s voice softened at each word. Jessica stared at her for a bit more before her eyes widened a little in realization. She glanced at Tiffany and saw that the girl looked really calm. However, her clenched hands said otherwise.

“And everything is as follows right? We all have that in file?” Jessica asked while looking at Seohyun.

“Eh? Ah, ne.” Seohyun said with a nod. Sooyoung remained quiet.

“What else did you do?”

“Unnie and I hacked into the system so we can divert Taeyeon unnie’s attention from all that’s happening and I didn’t want her to find out by going through the history of the files. I figured that if the history went missing, then I should delete recordings of the cameras around the city. We didn’t want to involve anyone from the company. But…” Seohyun looked down at the floor and all Hyoyeon could do was walk beside her and hold her hand tightly.

“Okay. Now what do we do?” Yuri asked. Sunny looked at Jessica.

“Do you know where your uncle is at?” She was looking with an expectant expression but Jessica shook her head. Sunny’s shoulders fell and her fist slowly clenched.

“Then… we have no leads...” She said with her teeth tightly clenched, her fangs threatening to show. “That means we can’t-”

Bam! “Unnie!” Everyone turned to the door that was now branded with a hole, showing slender fingers. The door opened, with Yoona very slowly entering the room.

“Um… sorry… about the door…” She peeked her head from behind the now ajar door. Sunny’s eyes were wide but she didn’t say anything. Instead she just let out a sigh.

“Maybe I should ask Taeyeon to just move the door to a different house.” Sunny whispered to herself.

“Come in, Yoona. Welcome back. You were quick.” Sunny said, gesturing for the girl to enter.

“Unnie, I’m really sorry about the door. But look what I have here!” She said, turning around and behold, a scabbard was secured. Tiffany’s mouth formed an ‘o’ when she saw it.

“Oh! It’s my sword.” She ran towards Yoona and the girl handed the scabbard to her.

“Sorry, Unnie. It’s just the sheath. I don’t have the sword. The sword wasn’t there.” Tiffany held the sheath close to her.

Shing! They looked around for the sound and they’re eyes met Jessica smiling at them.

“You mean this?” Jessica said with a smile as she held a scarlet-colored blade. Everyone stared at the blade, including Sunny who couldn’t believe her eyes.

“That- how did you get that?” Tiffany asked, moving closer to Jessica as the blade was passed to her.

“It was the sword that responded to me when my memories started resurfacing.”

“That’s good but what do you need that for?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Together with my blade, this is the ultimate weapon to kill a Pure… an elder.” Jessica said, her voice trailing. Sunny looked at her.

“You mean… you’re killing your uncle?”

“He’s hurt too many people. And he’s lived for too long… I will just be doing what he wants.” Jessica said, turning from the others to exit the room.

“Wait. Je-” Sunny stopped when she saw Tiffany hold onto Jessica. The others watched intently.

“Jessi.” They all shivered at the tone. There was a different feel. With their hearing, they heard a nervous gulp.

“What?” Jessica asked, trying to be as serious as she could.

“You’re not planning on doing this yourself, are you?” The hold on her arm caused her apprehension to increase when arms wrapped around them securely.

“Well. I was planning to-” Jessica said turning but when she was met by Tiffany’s smiling face, she immediately changed her course. “No! No! Not at all. In fact, I was just going to get a drink of water.”

“Good. Because I was under the impression that you were going by yourself. You should know very well that in the end, you will need our help.” The tone gradually softened and Jessica couldn’t help but feel happy at the moment the tone became as gentle as the voice that whispers loving words to her in her memories.

“Unnies! This was on top of the tomb as well.”

“What is it?”

“It’s from your uncle… his whereabouts are written there.”

Sooner, Sunny dismissed everyone. Sooyoung left to go check on Taeyeon and promised to notify Sunny if anything unusual happened. Seohyun went to the file room to recover back the footages that were deleted. Hyoyeon went down to the staff floors and did her rounds, waiting for a mission from Sunny. Jessica and Tiffany went to the roof to call forth the Crimson blade’s other half.

Cling! The sound echoed along the area and was followed by thunder rumbling. The sword dropped and embedded itself to the concrete from the heavens. Tiffany held it by the hilt and it glowed in recognition. The sword seemed confused at first. The first time it was summoned, there was only one powerful force. Fire. Now, its master was right there. It sensed the Crimson blade. At this, both swords pulsated before calming down.

 

A familiar man was seated in an old chair. His eyes were dull and the droopiness they exhibited indicated the soul’s torment and fatigue.

“I’m waiting for you, Sooyeon… Come to me.”

 

A/N: Hey guys. Missed me? Or probably forgot about me? I know I didn’t update for like two months and I am sorry. I’ve been busy. Right after my exams, I was bombarded by projects and homework. Then the stress was bad that I had to stop writing. Anyway, I am making it up by continuing my weekly updates starting today.

Thank you for the readers and subscribers that have been with me for a long time now and have waited for a long time. I have very thankful. This story will end soon but no fear, I might start a new one again.

If anyone went to my profile page to check up on me, aww you’re so sweet. Haha. I’m joking. Anyway, you would’ve have known about the news that I was trying to write a novel. It’s a school project and I am going to spare time to write this and that.Oh, and HANIIE will be updated next week along with the next chapter of this story. See you guys next week. ^-^v