Dream 15: Under Attack

Dreams of Red Snow

Tiffany sat in her office in the Gangseo district Deohyeo facility. She was checking some paper works and charts. With things in check, she finally placed them in folder and into the file cabinet. She looked at her clock, it read ‘6:09.’

In a little over five minutes, Sunny was going to pick her up. It was going to be a two hour drive from the Gangseo facility to the Seocho district. She wanted to just run back to the organization building but Sunny insisted that humans don’t need a heart attack for seeing beautiful ladies jumping from building to building.

She stood up and made her way to the window. Her thoughts drifted to old memories, a specific memory, in fact, about her first meeting with a special person in a garden. She tried to recall as much as she could how both of them reacted to each other. While she was very excited to meet someone new, the other seemed distant but soon, gravitated toward her. She could feel her blood rush through at other memories that followed after their fateful meeting. A smile made its way on her face and her eyes curved into crescent moons.

“Oh, Sunny is here.” She voiced out loud as she saw a car pull up in front of the facility. She grabbed her keys and locked her office before making her way down the stairs. She encountered a few of her students, wishing her a good day and a safe trip back to Seoul. She smiled at them and encouraged them to work hard while she’s gone.

In a matter of minutes, she got out of the facility doors. Before entering Sunny’s car, she turned to the facility. Though she felt irresponsible to leave them, she managed to set up a lot of security cameras at almost every nook and corner of the place. They were all connected to her phone and will send an immediate alarm whenever turned off.

“Let’s go.” Sunny said as the two of them drove off.

They didn’t notice someone, same regretful indigo irises staring as they got farther and farther. The stranger’s indigo eyes gleamed before the glass on the windows seemingly vanished, and sending two vials flying inside each of the windows, there was a muffled sound of glass breaking. A black smoke started becoming visible and before it could escape through the windows, the gleam in the stranger’s eyes vanished and the windows were once again intact, containing the smoke.

The stranger sat at a nearby building but was undetected by CCTV cameras around the area. Staying there for about half an hour, indigo eyes observed indifferently as a vampire was sent crashing out the glass doors and was followed out by two more. The stranger stood up and saw a familiar Deohyeo, soon to be a graduate, with eyes black. He was followed by three others.

The stranger fished out a phone from their pocket and called.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Suho. Take Kris, Lay, and Chanyeol with you to the Seocho district. Check the compartment near the entrance door. Your mission is as stated in the note.” With that, the stranger, not even sparing a glance, left the scene, eyes not any less regretful but more, depth incomprehensible by human eyes. But seeing as it was not a human but a vampire such as the stranger is watching, doe-like eyes were able to see that very expression. Though it gave a feeling of wonder for the doe-eyed vampire, she knew what the priority was. Over chasing the indigo-eyed stranger, it was more important to locate the missing blade.

 

It has been three hours since Sunny left so she could pick Tiffany from the facility. It was now 7:15 am. Taeyeon looked out at the window in her office. As happy as she was to reconcile Jessica and Tiffany, she had an upsetting sensation in her stomach. She started pacing back and forth. As long as she had lived, which has been longer than most people think, feelings such as this usually are accurate enough.

‘I can’t really order Tiffany to go back to the facility. That will be too cruel.’ She thought to herself. As much as she didn’t want to keep those two apart, she also didn’t want them to get into an accident or worse.

‘Whatever this feeling suggests, I will protect Jessica until Tiffany gets here.’ She made an oath to herself. Just as she was about to finally relax, there was a knock at the door. She waited and she saw Jessica.

“Annyeong, Jessica. How are you feeling?” She greeted but soon noticed that Jessica seemed to exhibit a sense of urgency.

“Taeyeon, come with me. We have to get everyone out of here.” Jessica said, looking deep into her eyes.

“What are you-?”

“Just trust me. Press the emergency button so the staffs are confined to the safe floor.” Without question, Taeyeon opened her desk drawer and pressed a red button.

Red lights flashed through every room. The higher positioned staff, trained by Hyoyeon, knew what it meant and successfully and calmly escorted the staff to the safe floor. In 15 minutes, the employees were now secured safely in the safe floor.

“Jessica, what‘s going on?” Taeyeon asked right away, demanding an explanation.

“The Deohyeo, they’re here!” At the very end of Jessica’s statement, the office was filled with giant red alerts. She looked in her computer and accessed the cameras. The whole lobby was trashed. She looked at the other floors and everywhere, papers were scattered and machines were broken, their cords ripped off. One by one the cameras started fizzing out.

She almost cursed when every single camera became out of line if it weren’t for her realization that she has to protect Jessica. Just as she stepped away from her desk and stood in front of Jessica, the door was blasted open.

Four Deohyeos stood a reasonable space from Jessica and Taeyeon, stepping on the rubble of the vintage door.

‘Why is it that everyone takes everything out on my vintage door?!’ Taeyeon thought to herself, a bit irritated at the ever so often predicament of her property. She observed the Deohyeo carefully. They were mostly unarmed, except for the single handgun in the hand of the one in the middle.

The three were about to go straight to what Taeyeon assumed to be Jessica when the one in the middle stopped them.

“Who are you?” Taeyeon asked. She received no answer but she almost cringed at the insidious look they flashed her along with a sinister smile.

“The chemical is strong enough to cloud their judgment. As you have heard in Hyoyeon’s recording of the investigation, the lust for any blood will be too much to even control. For Daniel’s case, that was but an experimental drug. This is the final chemical mutation that they-”

“Wait, what are you- How do you know all this?” Taeyeon said, asking Jessica but not taking her eyes off the Deohyeo.

“I- Taeyeon!” Jessica wasn’t able to finish or start when Taeyeon rushed off to counter an attack by one of the Deohyeo, Chanyeol. She easily pushed his head to the floor and kicked him to the wall.

The one known as Lay attacked right after she countered Chanyeol’s attack. He slid down in an attempt to throw Taeyeon out of balance but Taeyeon skillfully landed on his former position and pulled him by his clothes. She spun him around before letting him go at the direction she sent Chanyeol flying.

Kris, as if expecting, presented a pole and attacked Taeyeon with a wave to the left then to the right. When Taeyeon was able to deflect both attacks, Kris tried an attack from the top. Luckily, Taeyeon caught the pole with one hand and pulled it off his hand with her left hand. He was pulled towards her before she balanced herself on her right hand and was kicked towards the rubble.

She stood up on her feet, confident for the last challenge, but her eyes widened when the last Deohyeo who stood in the middle earlier had the gun raised, pointing towards Jessica.

Bang!

 

Suddenly, Sunny hit the brakes. They were in the middle of the road and luckily, the street light just turned red.

“Tiffany!” She looked fearfully at Tiffany, who looked equally troubled.

“No… no…” Tiffany couldn’t say anything else. She was about to get off the car when Sunny drove off.

“What are you doing? We can’t get any faster there with this car. We better just run there!” Panic was in her voice. She was silenced when Sunny turned to her. Her eyes were not only red amber; they were slowly turning more amber.

“No…” Once again, Sunny pressed the brakes and Tiffany noticed that they were at an alley. Sunny got out of the car and Tiffany followed. No words were spoken when the both of them ran up the side of the building and up to the top of it. As they ran with inhuman speed on top of the buildings, Tiffany was sure that they left prints on the building roofs.

“Please be okay?” She heard Sunny say. She saw Sunny with a phone next to her ear. When Sunny let out a short gasp and a stifled cry, she knew that what she feared was true.

 

The shot was already fired when Taeyeon stood on her feet. With inhuman speed, she positioned herself between the bullet and Jessica. The bullet entered the area just a few millimeters under her left collarbone. She was still able to stand up before she felt her legs weaken and Jessica’s body supported hers.

“Taeyeon!” Jessica’s voice echoed the room.

“Take her.” But before any of the three Deohyeo could move, Jessica stared at them with familiar coldness and blue irises. They were suddenly overcome with fear. It coursed in their dead bodies as if the chemical was scared of that familiar glare.

“Jes...sica…” Taeyeon grasped Jessica’s hand. Jessica didn’t look at her, her focus solely on the four Deohyeo. Her blue irises gleamed, glowing as she raised her hands. Light orbs appeared before her.

“Wake up.” She whispered and an orb flew at each of the Deohyeo. It engulfed them and it turned black. When it separated from the Deohyeo, the vampires collapsed on the ground. The now dark orb turned into liquid that floated towards Jessica. She grabbed a nearby container and closed it as the chemical settled in.

“… si…ca…” Taeyeon’s voice brought her back to reality. She hurriedly sat next to Taeyeon.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you right away.” Jessica said, her blue irises turning brown as tears threatened to escape her eyes.

“You remember… that’s good… Ya… am I going to die?” Taeyeon asked, voice weak and eyes threatening to close.

“No, you won’t… but…” Jessica’s eyes conveyed so much sadness that Taeyeon got the idea of what was going to happen to her. She smiled nonetheless.

“At least I will see you by spring… Can you arrange my wedding in the summer?” Jessica smiled and managed to let out a small laugh, almost choked by tears.

“Yes. Don’t worry. I’ll even record this whole case. So you can watch it when you wake up.” She said, hugging Taeyeon. She can feel Taeyeon’s power weakening.

“I can’t wait then…” Taeyeon said jokingly.

“I will get the cure from him. Yuri drank some of my blood so she will be fine but-.” She said. Taeyeon smiled one more time before she closed her eyes and strength slowly left her body. Jessica felt the weight in her arms and more tears escaped her eyes.

“Taeyeon…”

“Taeye-!” Jessica looked up to see Sunny, frozen at the door as she saw Taeyeon’s form in Jessica’s arms. She hurriedly made her way to the fallen body and Jessica let her.

“What happened?” Tiffany asked, the mere sound of Sunny’s cries filling the room.

“She protected me…” Jessica said, tears still streaming down her face. Sooyoung appeared behind Tiffany and her eyes widened with shock at the scene.

 

A/N: I know this is a very short update, considering how I was inactive for a long while. I have a reasonable explanation for it.

I just took an entrance exam to a university. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity so I just had to take it. And I am happy to inform you guys, if ever you are concerned, that I passed the exam. I just have to wait until my application is completed in February and that’s when I get to find out if I get in or not.

I want to thank you guys for staying with this story for the time that I was gone.

Sorry again that this update is so late but kindly consider it as a small Christmas present from me to you guys. I am already in Christmas break so I can update faster. Anyway, Merry Christmas! See you soon. ^-^v