Interrupted

Scars

“Amber!”

My mom's voice echoed throughout the house.

“Yes, Mrs. Jung?”

“Mind helping me with the groceries?”

“Coming, mam.”

“I'll be back soon.” Amber told me as she got up and closed her book. Not only is Amber the best girlfriend ever, but she’s also a great math tutor.

“You know that it's not normal that my mom called you to help her instead of me, right? We’ve only dated for two months.”

“I'm hard to resist, Princess,” she showed her dorky smile and went to help my mom. A couple seconds later her head popped in again and said, “Besides, I need to show my future mother-in-law the best side of me, right?”

“Who wants to marry you anyway?” I threw my eraser at her.

“You know you do, Krys,” she chuckled.

“AMBER!”

“Yes, Mrs. Jung! I’m on my way.”

I just shook my head. Ever since she came to ask my parent’s permission to date me, Amber comes every day before school to pick me up and has her breakfast with us. My parents adore her. My dad plays basketball with her and Amber always helps my mom with the chores.

Getting bored sitting and waiting for her to come back, I thought about the first time I went to meet her mom. We had dated for a little more than three weeks and she told me that she wanted me to meet her mom. I noticed that Amber had never said anything about her family except for her mother. No dad, no sibling, nothing. I didn’t press her on it; she would tell me when she was ready.

I was nervous as hell as we walked to her house. It's not a house; actually, it's a one room apartment. Just one, very small, bedroom for her mom; Amber sleeps on the couch in the living room.

“Mom, I'm home,” Amber screamed out for her and said to me, “I already told her you were coming.”

I gulped. I guess Amber noticed how nervous I was because she cupped my cheeks, looked into my eyes, and said, “Hey, relax. My mom is going to love you.”

“Are you sure?” I asked her.

“What's about you not to love, Krys? Now come on.” Amber told me confidently.

“Hi, you must be Krystal.” Amber’s mom said as she walked in.

“Hello, Mrs. Liu,” I bowed deeply.

I was surprised when she pulled me into a hug.

“Amber talks about you all the time,” she told me as she let go.

Then, suddenly, she slapped Amber's head.

“OW MOM, what was that for?!” Amber said while she rubbed her head.

“For lying,” Mrs. Liu said.

“What?! I never lied to you,” Amber said in protest.

“You told me that Krystal was pretty; are you idiot? She's GORGEOUS,” she told Amber.

I blushed. Amber laughed together with her mom.

“Yeah, you're right Mom. My bad,” Amber said while she tried to stop laughing.

Amber's mom looked beautiful, but somehow I could tell that she had gone through a lot of hardship. Raising a child alone while she was working as a full time nurse couldn’t be easy.

“I hope this dorky daughter of mine doesn't bring you too much trouble, Krystal” Amber’s mom said.

“She's not, Mrs. Liu,” I blushed even more as I said, “she's very kind.”

She smiled and patted my head.

“Why don't we all eat?” she said and led us to the table.

“Finally, I'm starving!” Amber said as she rushed to her seat.

Mrs. Liu shook her head.

“Why are you always hungry? I didn't raise a bear for a daughter.”

“AIMDONGLODOFSPOD.”

“Stop talking with your mouth full. I don't understand why Krystal wants to date you.” Mrs. Liu told Amber.

“YAAAAHHH! MOOOOOOOMMMMM!” Amber whined.

I chuckled.

Amber and her mom share a bond. I felt it.

“I need to go to the bathroom,” Amber said once we were finished eating and ran at the speed of light to the bathroom.

“This kid knows no shame,” Mrs. Liu said as we cleaned the table.

“I only have her, you know. She's been a very obedient kid since she was young. She told me when she was fourteen that she was gay. Of course I knew it all along, and I didn’t love her any less. But, I was touched that she chose to tell me directly,” she told me as walked to the mini kitchen.

“There's nothing not to love about Amber,” I told her.

“Thank you,” Mrs. Liu said, “for making her happy. I’ve never seen her like this before.”

I just weakly nodded. I probably should’ve been the one to thank her for raising a wonderful daughter.

We sat down in the living room and Mrs. Liu showed me some of Amber's baby photos. She was chubby little kid. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing when I saw a photo of her wearing a skirt.

“Blame Mom for the picture; she made me wear it,” Amber said and glared at her mom.

“Amber Josephine Liu, how was I supposed to know that you preferred boys' clothes when you were three?” Mrs. Liu said. “You know what, Krystal? If this ungrateful child of mine ever treats you badly, come to me and we’ll upload this on YouTube.”

“MOOOOOM! Who’s side are you on?”

I had a lot fun at her house. They might not have much, but they have each other and their house is warm, full of love.

“Goodnight, Krystal.” Amber's mom hugged me and kissed me on the cheek as we left.

“Goodnight Mrs. Liu. I'll come back to visit sometime,” I promised.

“I'd love that.”

“Why don't I get a kiss, Mom?” Amber pretended to pout. “You love my girlfriend more than me.”

“You silly little Llama, come here,” Mrs. Liu said and grabbed her daughter.

“YAH, MOM! No sloppy wet kisses! I'm not five anymore!” Amber yelled and pushed her mom away.

Amber cleaned her cheek from her mom's kiss on our way back to my house. I laughed as I watched her.

“I like your mom a lot,” I said to her, which made her eyes light up.

“She likes you a lot too.”

I smiled.

“Now good night, and be careful on your way back home, okay?” I told her when we reached my house.

She nodded.

“Goodnight, Princess.” She said, still rubbing her cheek.

“Hey, come here; let me help you with that.” I stood on my toes and kissed her on the cheek.

It's funny that even under the dim street light I could see her ears turn red.

I wrapped my hands around her and we hugged.

“I love you, Amber.”

“And I love you, Krys.”

She stood there until I went inside and closed the door.

------

“Daydreaming?” her voice brought me back to reality.

I just smiled and shook my head.

“Did you finish the problem?” She said, sitting down next to me.

“The last one is too complicated.” I complained.

“Let me see.”

I watched her as she solved the question. Her face is perfect. Everything about her is perfect.

“Now, you start out like this….”

I was too busy staring at her to pay attention to what she said.

“Hey, are you listening?”

She looked up and gulped when she realized how close our faces are. I saw how her eyes wandered to my lips. She her lips unconsciously and hesitated before she leaned closer. I thought my heart was going to explode as I felt her hot breath on to my face and I slowly closed my eyes as she neared.

“Soojung, Amber, could you...oh, sorry.”

We both jumped as Mom suddenly appeared on the door.

“Sorry, guys,” Mom said. “I wanted to ask if you guys could help me with dinner. The door was open so I…umm, sorry.”

“I-It's okay Mom. We are almost done; we'll come down and help you soon.”

“Okay.” She mouthed 'sorry' again as she left.

“Umm, so I-I guess we better finish this.” I put my hand to my chest trying to calm my pounding heart.

Amber stuttered as she tried to explain how to solve my homework. Cute.

After we finished, we walked downstairs to help Mom with dinner. By the time Dad came home, we were finished and ready to eat.

“So, what are you guys doing this weekend?” Dad asked casually.

“I don't know. We haven't planned anything yet,” I said.

“Actually, I was going to ask you to come to school bazaar with me,” Amber smiled apologetically. “I just didn’t have a chance to ask you. It's at Kyungwon.”

“Just us?” I asked, hoping I would be able to spend some alone time with my girlfriend away from school.

“No, most of the soccer team is coming, and you can ask some of your friends to come with us.”

“Sure; it'll be fun,” I replied. Even though we wouldn’t be alone, I was happy that we would be together.

“Mr. and Mrs. Jung, I know I have to bring Krystal home before eight, but the fireworks start at the same time. Is it alright with you if we come home a little bit late?”

My dad eyed Amber.

“Just bring her home before ten, okay?”

“Yes, sir,” Amber smiled.

“Now, are you up for a round of basketball?” My dad asked, already walking out the door.

“Always, sir,” Amber said and ran out after him.

“Those two....” Mom said as we cleaned the table.

While we were doing the dishes, Mom suddenly said, “I'm sorry about earlier, Soojung.”

I blushed again and just shook my head.

“If you....”

“Mom, can we not talk about that? Not now? Please?” I begged. I was way too embarrassed to talk to her about it yet.

“Okay, just remember, you can talk to me or your dad about anything.”

“I know, Mom, but it feels awkward to talk about right now.”

“Amber is a good kid, and I trust both of you.”

I nodded.

“Thanks.”

“No problem. Now, let's go watch Amber beat your Dad.”

I laughed and we walked hand in hand outside.

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                      

 

 

 

Sorry for the late update guys, but I hope it was worth the wait!

 

Have you seen the f(x) variety show trailer? The Harlem Shake? Now all they need to do is have a comeback.... 

 

 

 

------------

 

 

Yosh, here's is ahjumma. YOu guys miss me?

 

 

After a very veeerryy long flight I finally reached home and the first thing I did is bought a prepaid card for the internet.

Yes, I do have internet but it's so slow, i can take a bath first before it even uploaded the first page, so I have to count on my lovely side kicks for the updates.

 

 

Back to Scars...

 

You like lovey dovey Kryber, so far? There'll be even more sugar-up-on-the-roof-moments for the next chaps.

 

 

It's so-not-me?

 

Just enjoy them while they last kekekkeke *super mega evil laugh*

 

 

*HUgging fxluvforever from the other side of the world for the update*