Trust

Scars

When the door bell rang the next morning, I hesitated before I opened the door. It had to be Amber.

"H-Hi," I said as I saw her. My mind suddenly replayed what happened last night and I started to get nervous.

"Hey...." Her voice was different; it was unsure, and her ears were red. I knew she had the same picture in her head right now. We just stood there, awkwardly, in the doorway.

"What are you two doing?" Dad looked at us, confused. "Aren't you going to come in, Amber?"

"Uh, yes sir," Amber said and walked to the table.

I think it was the most awkward breakfast we ever had together. We both tried to avoid each other's eyes, getting nervous at the closeness. I even dropped the milk when Amber passed it to me and our hands touched.

I could see the glances of confusion my parents would share whenever Amber and I twitched.

"Soojung, could you help me clean up?" Mom said when we were finished. I nodded and got up.

"Hey, Amber, you think you could help me with my bike? I need to change the oil," Dad said to Amber; the latter nodded.

I watched as Amber walked out with Dad.

"Soojung...." Mom said.

"Yes?"

"Are you guys okay?" Her voice full of concern.

"What you mean, Mom?" I asked, hoping she wasn't to ask me about Amber.

"You and Amber. You guys fight?"

"No. What makes you think that?"

"Come on, Soojung. I was once young too, you know. I think I could tell if something was wrong."

I bit my lip and, instead of answering her question, I asked her one, "Mom, why did you guys agree when Amber asked your permission to date me?"

"Come and sit down with me," she took my hand and we walked to the living room, she sat herself next to me before she said, "Twenty years ago, a boy told to me he wanted to spend his whole life with me. We had only dated for four months at the time; he said he'd ask for my parents permisssion, give me a warm house, and that we'd have children of our own."

"Dad?"

Mom nodded. "That day, when Amber walked inside this house and asked for permission to date you, her eyes showed the same determination your father's did when he asked my parents. In that moment I knew I could trust my only daughter to her. I'm sure your dad saw himself in her eyes. One can lie but their eyes will always tell the truth. Soojung, Amber loves you," she looked deep into my eyes before she continued. "Now, do you want to tell me what's going on between you two?"

I hesitated at first, but decided to tell her, "We didn't fight, Mom...." my voice was barely audible.

"Then why are you guys are so awkward with each other?"

"I...we...ummm...."

My mom didn't push me, she waited until I plucked up my courage and said, "Amber and I, umm, we kissed already...."

I stopped; I wanted to see her reaction first. Mom just nodded, there wasn't even a bit of surprise in her face.

"Last night...I wanted it to be more than just a kiss." I felt my face burn when I said that.

Mom my hair gently. "Soojung, there's nothing wrong with that."

I stared at her, extremely suprised by her response. She smiled. "If you love someone, you want to be a part of them. It's not a sin to want that."

"But, Mom, isn't it wrong? Aren't we moving too fast?"

"I can't answer that for you, Soojung. Listen to what your heart wants, not your brain, not your body. Let your heart decide. If she's the one, you'll know." She gave me a hug. "You know we love you, right Soojung?"

I hugged her back. "I love guys so much."

"We trust you, and we trust Amber. You guys are going to be just fine."

"Thanks, Mom. I love you."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey guys! How was your memorial day weekend?

 

This is part one of a double update, so stay tuned for more!