Prologue

Lying to Forget

 

I looked at their approving faces. I saw from the weak light of their eyes, that they were proud of me. They had tried to make me work in the same way as they did long enough – maybe even longer than I knew.

 

Maybe I should have felt relieved, happy. Maybe I should have been glad, maybe I should have shined like the sun itself, and maybe I should have told them how much I have waited this moment. This stupid, shallow moment, when I finally managed in something.

 

”Sungyeol.”

 

I couldn't hear, I couldn't understand, and I didn't want to understand. I didn't care who was talking to me. They all tried to tell me their own experiences and greetings, anyway – at the same time. I lost my interest when the first person opened his mouth to talk in front of my face. They didn't mean their words, anyway. Why would they be proud of me, when I wasn't? Did that make any sense? Did anything of this make any sense?

 

I sighed, and didn't talk to anyone. I didn't want to talk to them. No matter how important people they were to me, no matter how much I cared about them and how much they cared about me. My succesful actions weren't related to that – I didn't need their compliments.

 

Sungyeol.”

 

This time the voice was frustrated, slightly angry.

 

Howon. It had to be.

 

I turned my head slowly, understanding fully what was happening around me. They all were happy, laughing children – little children. Everything they needed to hide got free when they were together. When we were together.

 

Howon was right in front of me, and I couldn't even understand how he got there so fast. A little while ago he was in the other side of the room with Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo.

 

If there was anything what I didn't want to think about, what I wanted to avoid, and what I didn't even want to hear about, he represented it all.

 

”Back from your thoughts already?”

 

I wanted to strangle and hug him at the same time, and because of those dissonant feelings, I decided to do nothing. I looked at his amused expression for a minute, before I turned my gaze away.

 

And that was a mistake.

 

Myungsoo stood in the other side of the room with someone. I couldn't tell who the guy with him was. He looked very familiar, but I couldn't come up with a name. They seemed to know well.

 

”Who is that?” I managed to ask after the slightly awkward silence. I wasn't sure was the question meant to Howon's ears, or just for mine, but when he turned his head to look at Myungsoo and the other guy, I approved the fact that he might be a lot more clever than I was and actually know the answer. But he just furrowed his brows, and looked at me with a worried expression. He looked tired, slightly angry and worried.

 

”Are you kidding me?” he asked.

 

I didn't know. Was I? Did I need to know him? Was he someone that I should have remembered? We had lived in this big but empty building years and years, but I didn't remember seeing that dark-haired, masculine, and very good-looking guy ever before. But to think about it, he looked really familiar. Maybe I have seen him in the hallway, when I have been looking the right room to go.

 

But I knew them all. I had been here longer than they could have even imagined, so I should have known everyone of them. But who was he? Why didn't I recognize him?

 

”Sungyeol?” Howon called me by my name. I saw that he was very worried at the time. I flinched a little, and then formed a weak smile, looking at his eyes.

 

For a moment, I didn't recognize his voice. I didn't recognize his voice earlier either. Something in me wanted him away from me, far away. Something in me didn't feel normal. I felt like I was sick.

 

”Sungyeol, has something happened?” Howon asked carefully, like he'd be scared that I was going to run away at any time.

 

I shaked my as a no after thinking it a minute. Had something happened? Not for what I knew. I didn't remember if had. I managed, right? I did something right. Right now I wasn't exactly sure what it was that I did right, but probably something that I had tried long – very long. Something in his eyes made me believe that everything wasn't right. But I should have known it myself, right? Why didn't I know? Why couldn't I answer him?

 

Wait a minute. What did I do to be succesful? Why were they all congratulating me? Why were we all together in here, anyway?

 

I shook my head slightly – this time to myself – and I started to feel dizzy. It was like I couldn't understand what was happening, what I was thinking and what other people were saying. What is happening? Why am I here?

 

I looked at the person in front of me – Howon – and I could feel my eyes widening. What the hell was happening to me? Why did I almost forgot my bestfriend's name?

 

”H-Howon,” I managed to say. He just looked at me with wide eyes, and for a moment I forgot where I was. Not only what room and why – I fully forgot the whole building where I had been living my whole life. And for a second I forgot who I was.

 

I could feel my eyes tear up, and I didn't understand why. I didn't understand.

 

Why don't I understand?

 

”Ho–”

 

Howoon? Howoo? Howon?

 

”W-what's happening to me?”

 

The last thing I saw, was the expression of the person in front of me and a scream, and also couple other persons' faces when they heard the shouting that Ho-something formed.

 

Goodbye?

 

I wasn't sure, but at the same time I was. I could hear the shouts like they were really far away, but I didn't understand them. When nothing looked familiar – not faces, not clothes, not surroundings and not my own thoughts, I was scared. But at that moment, I knew.

 

Goodbye.

 


 

a/n: I decided to update this little prologue right away. I have actually only about eleven pages written already, but I'm not sure how to chapter them. I will figure it out somehow. This is short and simple, but that's the meaning. I'm not sure when I'm going to update, probably next week. 

Please subscribe <3 Thank you.

See ya guys.