15.

Perfection.

15


Two weeks rolled by slowly, and for Jong-in, it was excruciatingly slow. He had so badly wanted to ask about it, about the time when Kyungsoo had shielded his vision, about what had really happened; but did he dare to? No. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to bear the sourness and pain he was bound to be hit with. Kyungsoo was a sensible guy, the most sensible one of them all in fact. He always knew when to or not to do something and it was precisely because of that, Jong-in waved off the curiosity churning inside of him time and time again. 
 
Things have slowed down considerably since the open showcase ended. It was the final three weeks of practices before they had one week worth of break. The duration and intensities of practices decreased significantly, and all the other trainees were on vacation mode, staying as far away from the practice studios as they could. 
 
All except for three people. 
 
Whenever he had spare time on hand, Jong-in would hide himself in the practice studio. He was not short of practice, no he wasn't falling back or lacking. He just loved dancing. He loved the calmness, relief and freedom it brought to him. He loved how it brought him away from all the unhappiness he had. It was his escape. 
 
All the way at the other corner of ths building, in the unused studio, hid Oh Sehun. Sehun always had the notion that he will fall behind if he ever cut himself any slack. His routine never changed even after the showcase ended. Self-declared morning trainings started at 6:30am sharp, no excuses; night training extended all the way till 2am, no excuses there either. The only difference between pre-showcase and post-showcase was that there was someone else there with him, making sure he takes necessary the breaks and meals.  
 
Park Chanyeol followed Oh Sehun everywhere. 
 
Rumours started spreading among the other trainees that the two of them were an item, but no, they were not. Chanyeol did like Sehun no doubt, but he'd never confessed, not officially at least. As for Sehun, he’d slowly opened up to Chanyeol, letting him into the world he’d built walls around, but that was all. Dependence. He had to admit that it felt good to have someone who actually bothered to care and be there for him, despite his problems. 
 
Results day was here at last. Anxious trainees gathered at the main hall during assembly time, waiting for Yunho to appear with their long-awaited results. Hands stretched out for each other as trainees found their group-mates, holding on to each other for support. It was a group assessment, but it was more than just a group score. Trainees were graded individually as well. The top five trainees from the showcase will be regrouped and they will be enrolled for a nationwide dance competition against trainees from other schools and dancers from all walks of life. Everyone wanted to be that lucky five. 
 
“Attention please, everyone.” Yunho’s voice boomed over the PA system. The crowd gradually quietened down to a hush. “The results from the showcase are finally out. First of all, well done everyone. Each and every one of you have put in alot of effort in to the trainings and the actual performance and I’m proud of you. As much as everyone’s concerned, please take the results as your motivation to improve even further. For those who have done well, bear in mind that there is no room for complacency; and for those who have done not so well, don’t be too disheartened, you’ve just got to work harder for the next assessment.” Clearing his throat, Yunho retrieved a slip of paper from the envelope he was holding. “I have with me here, the top five trainees for this showcase. As you already know, these five trainees will be participating in the upcoming Korea Dance-Off in two months’ time. Results of the other trainees will be put up on the bulletin boards by the time you leave this hall later on.” 
 
Suspense hung over the air in the main hall like an invisible force, suffocating the anxiously waiting trainees. Clammy hands clasped together in prayer, fists bumped each other’s shoulders for morale support, gulps became succesively audible. 
 
“The top scoring trainee of this showcase is Kim Jong-in from Group K” Applause roared across the trainees. It was not unexpected that Jong-in would emerge the top-scorer with his skills, talent and hard work. Jong-in bowed shyly, receiving words of congrats from his classmates. 
 
Yunho held up a hand and again, the hall quietened down. “Joining Jong-in for Korea Dance-Off, Lee Taemin from Group S…”
 
Sweat trickled down his back. 
 
“…Jungkook from Group B…”
 
His interlaced fingers gripped even tighter than before. 
 
“...Yixing from Group M and…”
 
He felt the reassuring giant’s hand resting on his shoulder, but he could not relax. 
 
“…Oh Sehun from Group K”
 
Sehun felt relief rush through him when he heard his name. He’d worked so hard for this, and he was glad that he did. Tears b in his eyes, he turned around and hugged the tall figure who’d been standing behind him all these while. Burying his face in the nape of the latter’s neck, he whispered, “Thank you."
 
Less than a few metres away, the top scorer stopped short on his way to his best friend. He’d just lost again. 
 

There you go. Let the story continue unfolding in the next chapter!
Comments, feedbacks, suggestions, requests are welcomed!! 
Love. Me. Right. 
Till then, xoxo