One Shot by hmy1439

Shark & Elephant Review Shop [HIATUS]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(One Shot)

author: jmny1439
character/s: daehyun, oc
genre/s: fluff
reviewer: shark
----------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Title: 5/5

The title fits the story well, with the boys filming their One Shot MV and all. 

 

Foreword/Description: 5/10

The foreword does give a small hint of what the story is about, but it's a bit too plain. Just by reading the foreword, I don't feel too compelled to read the fic because it's very vague. There is no background of what may happen or anything, just lyrics from the song the one shot is based on. I suggest adding a bit of detail of what may happen. 

 

Appearance: 4/5

The one shot itself's appearance is fine, except for the constant bolding and parenthesis. Instead of adding Tagalog I suggest only bolding and italicizing Tagalog and just bolding English. The Tagalog is unnecessary if you're going to translate it to English anyways. 

And please format the foreword in a way that is easy to read and cleanly set up. I suggest centering your foreword together and coloring it a single uniform color to give it a cleaner, more professional look.

 

Plot: 11/20

Do not feel too offended by this score because you're fic is a one shot and plots aren't as developed in one shots as they are in normal fics. However, do mind that you could've scored a better score. The reason I gave you a ten is because although there was an evident plot, it didn't feel like there was much of a plot.

I would think the plot was Daehyun falling in love for a foreign girl and not knowing whether to confess to her or not, but there isn't much evidence of Daehyun's struggle to deicide.  It was as if right after he realized his feelings for Mika, he decided to tell her his feelings. 

To emphasize the developing plot more, you should add a passage describing Daehyun's struggle to decide what to do in between his realization and his decision. 

Otherwise, it's a nice plot. To be honest, I haven't read a one shot with this plot before.

 

Mechanics: 18/20

For the most part your grammar is fine, but there are certain parts where you go off tense. For example, "Daehyun just laughed along but nodded. He's starting to realize their cultural differences." 'Nodded' is in past tense while 'starting' is in present tense. Make sure you use the same tense to keep the flow smooth.

Also make sure not to use unnecessary vocabulary. I found that you used 'just' in unecessary situations a few times. For example, "Mika just laughed as she shook her head." Nothing was happening at the moment that would expect a different reaction from Mika, so the word 'just' is not needed before laughed. Check your sentences to make sure there is nothing unnecessary! 

 

Flow/Style: 11/15

I'm awarding you only 11 points for flow because of the transition from Daehyun's realization to his decision and the use of your tenses. As you've read in 'plot', you should explain Daehyun's struggle further so the plot doesn't seem to resolve too quickly. And as you've read in 'mechanics', double check your tenses to see that they match up and read smoothly. 

 

Overall Enjoyment: 5/5

I thought it was cute haha. I'm half Filipino half Korean, so this gives me a bit of hope that Daehyun would date me lol. 

 

 

Total: 59/100