Part 3

Love Wrecked

 

The heat that wrapped his back was calming. It was like a warm blanket hugging the skin in a cold night. It was like a mattress massaging the muscles at your back as you slumbered peacefully on bed. There were gentle sways that lulled him, a soft sound of the ocean singing to him as he shifted a little.

 

 

He smiled as he rolled on his back. 

 

 

 

Then, the air met his chest and it was cold... harshly cold. He frowned at the chill. Waking up with a frown, he stretched his body as he would usually do. But instead of softness, instead of tangled sheets, there was roughness that scratched his legs. He could feel the grainy feeling on his bare feet. There were small splashes tickling his arms and his face.

 

 

 

He opened his eyes and came face to face with the sun.

 

 

Rubbing his lids, he sat up on the hard wood on the... life boat?

 

Panic coursed through him. Memories of what happened dawned and the first instinct was for him to stand up. He couldn’t though. The boat was still swaying with the waves on the sand. His head was heavy, his body ached so much, and his knees were shaking.

 

As he stepped out of the life boat, the firm ground did something akin to miracle to his body. He felt security and safety as the sand touched his feet. He can’t help but smile as he guided himself on land.

 

He was obviously on an island. Somehow, his life had decided to course through what is similar to a television drama or a movie. He pouted, and then finally, he could feel the tears flowing from his eyes as the cruise ship flashed in his head. The happiness he had for a couple of days turned to a nightmare within an hour.

 

How many people died? How many people like him survived?

 

How many were fortunate to get saved... or those who were washed away by the waves wherever this place might be?

 

His frustration started piling up in his head, in his chest. His feet were kicking the sand, he was punching the air, throwing a fit; he was flailing and finally, he screamed.

 

The fear, the anger, and the sadness flowed around in his head and then to his chest, until he exploded in a painful scream. He bawled at the vast sea, at the horizon. They have for a few days and took back everything. What else could be worse?

 

His knees met the rough sand as he succumbed into hopelessness.

 

 

 

He did not know for how long he was staring onto almost nothingness and his mind afloat.

 

 

 

“I see you’re awake.”

 

When hope seemed to have left you, and when everything just seemed to impossible at the moment, a soft voice, a single movement could just change everything. The frustration inside him was suddenly pushed back as he turned his head.

 

 

It was too early to hallucinate.

 

 

“You’re awake.”

 

Days ago, they were bantering on the deck. Just days ago, they were both enjoying the cruise, finding the experience exhilarating.

 

“Seven year old,” He mumbled as the man walked towards him. His eyes were tired, the usual bubbly and childish sparkle was gone, and he understood why. He sat up and walked towards him.

 

He opened his mouth to speak once again but the blond stopped him, a finger waving. "No," he spoke, his voice shaking.

 

"Don't ask me what happened. Don't ask me... please," He quivered and looked at him weakly. "I...I don't know either."

 

He sighed in frustration and a moment soon, he was kicking the sand on his feet, he was punching the silent air in obvious frustration. He couldn't scream anymore because he knew it would be of no use.

 

"Stop!" He heard the guy shout at him but he didn't care. He was so frustrated and mad. "Stop!!!"

 

 

Pak!

 

 

A hand landed on his left cheek and the pain stung. Hell, that hurt a lot. He bit his lip and raised his hand, knuckles fisted, aimed at the guy who slapped him. However, he stopped mid air as the smaller guy stared at him, his eyes moist. His face was red, most probably from anger and frustration. Lowering his hand, he turned away and breathed heavily.

 

"I..." he trailed off.

 

"I know what you're gonna say but being like that... it's... it's pointless…" The blond reasoned out and curled on the sandy beach.

 

For a normal day, for a nice vacation, the beach would be good. It would be an awesome place to unwind. Unfortunately for them, it was not a normal day. Hours earlier, people died. Just the previous night, the sea took out a cruise ship and people inside. He felt weak, he felt sick as he sat on the sand too, beside the ‘seven-year old.’

 


How long, he did not know. But the heat of the sun was cooling down when he opened his eyes once again. He hoped everything would just be a bad dream, but his hopes are just too far from the reality he's in.

 

 

There were soft sobs followed by a harsh scream, making him sit up. His eyes wandered around and found the seven-year-old guy staring at the sea.

 

"What happened?" He asked as he scanned the area.

 

The guy looked at him, his face distorted in a pout. "It's gone..." Not fully understanding what the guy was saying, he scanned the place again. 

 

And then realization hit him. He panicked. Their only hope was gone.

 

"No..." He murmured. "No! Where is the boat?!" He dashed towards the smaller man, grabbing his shoulder and shaking him as hard as he could. The man frowned and pushed him farther.

 

"I don't know! I fixed the kits inside and looked for things we can use inside. I took the box and fixed it," he explained. "When I turned back, the waves took it... I..."

 

Due to anger, he pushed him harshly, sending the guy on the rough sand. He flinched.

 

"It was our only hope," His voice weakened at the sight of the man slumped in front of him. "Oh, God. We're gonna rot in this island." He pulled his hair in frustration. He was so mad, he didn't know what to do. The uncertainty inside his head was too overwhelming. He can't understand what was happening anymore and despite his anger towards the man, he couldn't. Something inside him is telling him that getting angry at the other would be entirely useless. 

 

He cursed out loud.

 

 

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." The man said, his eyes getting teary. "I... I'll make it up…"

 

"Are you gonna fly us out of here and back to Seoul?" He glared and immediately felt the guilt when the guy looked down. He sighed and turned away.

 

"I'll try to look around and get us some food." 

 

The guy walked away and he called out, something he himself did not expect doing. "Hey,"  Seven-year old guy turned. "What's your name?"

 

He smiled softly. "I think I already told you... it's Lee Sungmin."

 

"Sungmin," The name smoothly rolled out of his tongue and he smiled back, feeling lighter than he was earlier. "Don't be too long."

 

 

%%%%

 

 

 

A couple of familiar fruits in his arms, he walked back to the beach, finding the snarky guy seated around a pile of woods. He smiled. He made a little effort. 

 

He still didn't know his name but he was thankful for him. He thought he was dying hours ago, he thought the ocean was gonna eat him whole. If he didn't bump on him, he wouldn't find the boat, they wouldn't be alive. 

 

In all honesty, he wanted to talk to him, ask him why this is happening. He wanted to pester him with questions but he knew better than to vent his frustrations on the man. They were both in a very tight situation. They both almost lost their lives.

 

He was surprised of himself that he was taking this situation calmly. He couldn't believe he was accepting the fact just like this; he should be worrying, panicking by all means. But maybe he got tired, maybe his own self was rational enough to think that flailing would never save him. He was scared, yes, but if he was another person, he might've fallen into a breakdown. He shook his head.

 

 

He had watched Tom Hanks go crazy alone in an island with nothing but a stained volleyball called Wilson as his company. Maybe, he was still lucky. At least he didn't die, at least he didn't have a ball or a wild tiger as company. At least he got someone. He kicked a lone rock. "Help would come. You can do this, Sungmin." He spoke to himself and walked back, forcing strength inside his mind.

 

“I found some fruits.” He spoke softly as the brunet turned to him. He dropped them all on the sandy beach. He looked down.

 

The taller man spoke in a low, soothing tone, “We should start a fire as soon as afternoon hits. In the survival guide...” He watched the other look around and walk towards the box. “At least you get to save this.” Minutes passed and the guy pulled out a flash light and a pack of candle.


His eyes widened.

 

“Thankfully, I found time reading that survival kit way back.” The man spoke again. “There’s a lighter too, so...”

 

He nodded and took a piece of banana and offered it to the man.

 

“What’s this?” asked the brown-haired.

 

He scrunched his brows and gave the other weirded stares. “Food.”

 

Then, the man suddenly groaned.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asked in slight worry.

 

The man hesitated and shook his head as he accepted the fruit. “Nothing. I’ll eat it.”

 

He pouted. “Are you still mad at me?” The man shook his head as he peeled the banana carefully, smelling it before slowly taking a bite, then took another bite.

 

He leaned forward and smirked at the guy.

 

“Seriously?!” He squealed. “Are you kidding me?”

 

The man looked up at him nervously and swallowed.

 

He smirked at him.

 

“We’re on this island alone. We have nothing except that box there, the trees around and you and me,” He placed his hand on his waist and scratched his head. “I know you’re a rich man, mister but now is not the best time to be picky!”

 

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Eat the banana, that melon and that weird sweet potato. We don’t have steaks and wines in here okay?” He did not understand what he wanted to feel. He wanted to pity the man, become pissed at him, but in the end, he just found him so amusing. He palmed his face and giggled quietly.

 

“Are you...”

 

“Honestly, mister. Eat that thing. I know you’re hungry.” He took another banana and peeled it off, shoving having of the fruit into his mouth. “We’re both hungry and you’re gonna die even before someone finds us here.”

 

The guy blushed. Cutely.

 

“We really didn’t have a very good past in the boat. Even here.” He spoke giddily as they sat, he took another banana. “We-”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun,” The man spoke. He saw the soft smile on his face and he liked it. He’s kind of attractive. “That’s my name.”

 

He smiled. Thoughts of the shipwreck, the water, the unknown island, and the loneliness got washed away as he raised a hand for a shake. “Well, Kyuhyun-ssi. I’m Sungmin, it’s seems we’ll get stuck for sometime huh?”

 

“Don’t worry, I bet we’ll get help soon but for now...”

 

Kyuhyun took his hand. It was warm and comforting as he shook it a little. “Let’s try to work together.”

 

 

Sungmin shrugged the fact that his heart skipped a bit at the genuine smile Kyuhyun flashed at him.

 

 

 

 

To be continued....