Part 2

Love Wrecked

 

The day, thankfully, passed by uneventful; just pure quiet. He liked it so much. The longer he stayed in the ship, the more he was liking it there. The cruise provided something he had never had before... calmness. It was funny how other people would find in boring, almost unexciting but if you are someone like him, someone whose life revolves in an unending pressure, the simplicity would always be a treasure to hold.


 

He was somehow glad when the seven-year old man was nowhere to be found on the times he had lingered. Their last conversation was during that sunrise which was surprisingly quiet.
 


 

The sky was grayish that afternoon. From the far horizon, there was a swirl of ash-colored clouds. He was no expert in meteorology but he knew rain was coming that evening. 



 

He frowned. It hadn't rained since he stepped on board. The serenity of the ocean would be disrupted by droplets of water from the skies and the winds would surely ravish the smooth sail. It was only the fifth day and the peace he had grown accustomed with will be cut off by nature for a while. He hoped the rain won't be too harsh. 

 


 

Scrunching his brows, he sat on one of the bleachers on the deck. There weren't much people around. They have reached the first pier yesterday afternoon and some passengers have alighted. The cruise offered three packages and he was glad he chose the third one. The five days passed like an arrow piercing through the air.  And he knew that the full two weeks would end very soon. As much as he was enjoying his stay, time chose to move fast for him, to return him back to where he came from. He had to make up for the time remaining.


 


 


 

He was drowsing when a ship crew approached him, a man probably younger than him in years. He was smiling kindly as he leaned close, blocking the sun away from his shaded face.

 

 

"Cho Kyuhyun-ssi?"

 

He nodded. He had made sure his presence in the place would not be displayed, a few crew may know who he is but it was enough. The last thing he wanted in the cruise was to be treated as a CEO.

 

"A call for you, sir," The man said and he sat up. He didn't want to take any call from the real world. If it was from work then he could dump it. He never really had an important call aside from his office. But the fact that his presence in the cruise was known in work was not good. He had made sure he was left alone.

 

"I won't take it," he said bluntly. "I'm on a vacation. I can't..."

 

The man hesitated and he spoke, a little irate at his attitude. "Sir, the man behind the line is Kim Ryeowook."

 

He shut up. Why did Ryeowook have to intervene once again? He had succeeded in forgetting every problem he had left behind, which includes him. His heart constricted in confusion. 

 

Did he just deny Ryeowook? He missed him. His heart was aching for him, for his touches, his smiles. What was wrong with him?

 

Did the vast ocean and expanse of sky cleared too much in his head that he had gone nuts?

                                                                  

 

He pouted and stood up.

 

 

"Okay," he spoke softly. "But next time, cut all calls for me. I didn't leave my phone and notebook for no reason."


 

The man bowed and led the way. 

 


 

As he opened the door to the board, he found himself smirking when he saw a familiar face, an ice cream. The seven-year old guy was heading to the deck. He smiled.

 


 

“What is wrong with you? You left everything behind including your phone.”



 

That was the purpose, was what he wanted to say but he shrugged and spoke quietly, "I wanted to stay away from everything as of yet. You didn't want to go with me, what can I do?" He remembered the night they fought; the shouts from the other, his hands holding his arms forcefully as if not allowing him to do anything Ryeowook did not want.

 

He sighed. The crew was walking around the office decks and it reminds him of work. He wanted to leave the room immediately; he needed to end the call.



 

"Listen, Wook. I'll be back in seven days. That's not long. Just..."


 

“You left me.”



 

He could imagine his face red, eyes watered for something he did which he had always wanted. Ryeowook loves him, but that hold on him, that hand that tells him what to do and not to, it reminds him of his mother, his father. It reminds him of the world he's in - the leash around his neck. As much as he wanted to console the other, he can't.


 

The cruise was helping him bit by bit and yet, these realizations despite the light, they bring pain. He felt bad, he felt something was wrong with him all this time and as he learns, as things became clearer, he'll hurt people around him. 


 

"I'll call you as soon as the cruise is over. I'm sorry, Ryeowook." He said quietly. He had changed. The seven days that seemed like months ago had changed him well. 

 


 

“I'll wait. I'm sorry too, Kyu. I love you.”


 

 

He smiled.


 


"I love you too."


 

 

“Happy anniversary.”


 


The last words left a loud pang in his chest that vibrated to his head. When he reached the deck, he was almost crying. When he sat on the familiar bleacher, the guilt had eaten him hard. 


 


 

%%%%

 

 


 

He couldn't sleep.



 

His room was nothing like the executives, but for him, it was first class. The bed was huge, two layers of comforter, a beautiful lampshade, soft lighting, a mini fridge, a television, and a very nice closet. He smiled as he laid his back softly on the mattress loving how his skin was tickled by the smooth silk. He rolled around.


 

For the past days, he couldn't get enough of the experience he's having. He had made friends from the crew, some 'frenemies', mainly that weird tall man who calls him seven-year old.

 


 

He closed his laptop and smiled. "I'll just continue writing tomorrow." he told himself, hugging the huge pillow.  He grabbed his phone and took a photo of himself, opening the television.

 

This temporary comfort, this luxurious offer, it was something he would never forget. His life had always been stagnant, domestic, almost clichéd. He lacked adventure, he lacked experience. And this cruise was one step towards something he really likes. Despite traveling alone, it gave him a sense of security, and most of all, freedom.  Maybe risks would be easier to take when you've done one.

 

He flipped his phone and found a 'Good night' message from his best friend. 

 

 

Kim Jongwoon - the man who had been with him since he stopped drinking from a feeding bottle. His best friend, his brother. This was the first step he had taken away from him, and he found it a good sign. Growing dependent on the older should never be his hobby. He replied to the text and smiled. 

 

 

He did not know for how long he was glued to the television, laughing at some sitcom when he felt the waves hitting the sides of the ship. He looked out his window and saw rain. He didn't feel obliged to panic, it was normal rain and vessels are used to them. He shrugged the thought off and decided to force himself to slumber. 

 

Moments passed he felt the movements getting harsher and harsher. Opening his eyes, he saw waves smashing through his window, he frowned.

 

He stood up, swaying as he walked out of the room. "It would be fine," he told himself, "Just a normal rain."

 

It was a struggle as the ship swayed, bringing him to hit the walls harshly. He walked, guiding himself with the rails and door knobs around. He furrowed his brows as he reached the door leading to the deck and pushed it open. Rain instantly wet him. The coldness of sea water and rain mixed up slicing his skin. He stepped out, barefooted and cold.

 

The ship swayed, sending him to the other side, his back hit the railings but he was quick to hold on to it. The movement sent his body flying then to the wooden floor.

 

And then the alarm sounded and he felt panic rushing through him.

 

With much difficulty, he went up to the higher part deck, while people were already flocking to the life boats. He approached a crew, with the man obviously showing panic on his face. The rain made it hard for him, and he tumbled thrice.

 

"What's happening?" he shouted but the man's response was blocked by thunder and the next thing he knew, he was thrown to a life boat.

 

"NO!" He struggled. He felt only one thing: fear.

 

 

"No!"

 

 

He can't see, he can't hear properly. There's a life boat hitting the ocean but it tumbled as soon. The water on his face was either tears or rain or waves. But he knew one thing; people are dying.



 

The man struggled with him and pushed him, two kids jumped onto another life boat, crying. "Half of the ship is in water!" Another man told him. "Board that thing or die!" He stopped and lost his balance, he fell on the life boat, first.

 


 

Another man was being hovered by the crew. He was scrambling from their arms.

 

"Sir, please. You have..."

 

"No!" the man screamed. "Just ing leave me and save other people. NO!"

 

Just then, a huge box from the higher deck dropped straight to the life boat. Sungmin felt the boat jump from the air. The waves and rain did nothing to help. He held on to the side, and then, the rope snapped.

 

"NOOOOO!" Sungmin screamed as the wooden vessel hit the waves. He took a rope and clung on to it. His life depended on the piece of knot tied at the pole. The rain stained his face, it was getting harder and harder to see as of the moment. The wave slapped him, sending him tumbling around the boat. It turned and settled back up. He was sent flying by the water as thunder roared around. His back hit something and he screamed in pain. His grip loosened.

 

He opened his eyes and he was under water. He saw the submerged ship, sinking fast to the bottom of the ocean at every blink of the eye. He wanted to cry but he couldn't. He screamed a soundless scream as he tried to swim up.

 


 

His body reached the surface. He wanted to die. He was losing it. The waves were no calmer. They were getting worse. He cannot see the life boat he was on.

 

He was going to die.

 

He closed his eyes, allowing the waves to eat him up. 

 

"Jongwoon-hyung, mom, dad, Sungjin..." he shouted his thoughts.


 


 

A heavy weight hit him and the knot was back. He grabbed it, it was his last resort.

  

 


 

%%%%


 


 

He is not a very good swimmer. He is gonna die soon. The water hit him hard, and the rain was clouding his vision. Damn, he can't swim properly.

 

The water was dragging him from beneath. He panicked. 

 

"I'm sorry," he shouted. He knew it would be his last. He won't be able to survive, not with this kind of weather. Another hit of the wave sent him tumbling into the water. He had drank too much, he was drowning.

 

He was giving up. 

 

Pak!

 

His head hit something hard. 

 

He turned around and empty life boat was floating through the angry waves and a knot was dancing on the water as if taunting him.

 

Trying his luck, he grabbed the rope tightly. 

 

He closed his eyes shut as another wave slapped his back. He hit the board, letting out a scream of pain as he felt his stomach touch hard wood. He continued rolling as the boat swayed. It capsized and he was under water even before he could open his eyes. He let go of the knot and closed his eyes. 


 

 

It was so dark, and all he can hear were soft echoes around. He was dying and he knew it. He'll die bloated and ugly. The sharks would eat him, feast on his flesh and his body would never be seen again. 


 

 

He coughed. He puked out water, he fisted his hands and hit the wooden surface.


 

 

Wooden surface?


 

 

He tried to open his eyes, and adjust his senses.


 

 

It was still raining, the waves are dancing harshly, but he was not on water. He was on a... life boat.


 

 

He puked another gulp of water. It was then his vision started to get hazy, he saw movements in the boat. He felt the waves hitting them still. He was losing consciousness and if he awoke, it would be luck.


 

 

Hell, it would be luck.

 

 

 


 

to be continued...