Why Do You Hate Me?

Unfair Popularity

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight! Once more! One, two, three, four, five, six seven eight! Good job!" the dance instructor, Mrs. Baek, smiled happily. They were doing stretches, getting ready for practice.

"Now let's pull your leg up! I like to call this 'Flamingos!' Ready? One, two, three, four…"

"Ugh, how long will we have to stay like this?" G.NA whispered to IU. IU giggled.

"Actually, I like these stretches!" IU smiled. G.NA rolled her eyes.

"Puh-leaze! It's really boring! I mean, everyone is just doing this because of the instructor," G.NA mumbled.

"G.NA, you know what would happen if you didn't stretch? You would probably pull a muscle or something, which can lead you getting the worse part of the play! Or you might not even be in the play!" Brian whispered. G.NA shot Brian a deadly glare.

"So? Why do you care?" G.NA snapped. Because I care about you, G.NA! Why can't you see that? Brian thought, lowering his head. He stood silent until stretches ended.

"Alright! Get ready, everyone! Just practice your parts with your mates," the instructor directed, smiling. Mrs. Baek jumped on the sofa and started reading a magazine, making the students do all the work. The students stared at each other, unsure of what to do. Brian cleared his throat.

"Well, let's go!" Brian announced, clapping his hands loudly. Everyone nodded, as a student named E-Young scurried towards the piano.

"Hey! G.NA, Brian! Why don't you practice your dance choreography here?" E-Young suggested. She was in charge of being the pianist of the show. Brian and G.NA glanced at each other. E-Young clasped her hand, pleading the two with puppy eyes. The two popular students gave in. Brian got on top of the piano, as G.NA watched. 

"So… where should we start?" Brian asked, scratching the nape of his neck. G.NA thought about it for a moment, as she glanced at Eunhyuk and IU. Well, those two seem cooperative, G.NA thought, envying the two younger couple. Brian, too, was staring at Eunhyuk and IU. Suddenly, an image of himself and G.NA replaced Eunhyuk and IU. He turned red and shook his head.

No, Brian! Brian scolded, You and G.NA are only friend! You can't go thinking things like that! Aish… She already has a girlfriend! 

"You know, I'm a bit jealous of those two," G.NA huffed, puffing her cheeks tightly. Brian blinked and stared at IU and Eunhyuk, who were smiling and giggling. It was easy to tell that those two were having a great time. G.NA sighed.

"Well, we can be like them. It's just that you aren't very cooperative," Brian said truthfully. An anger mark appeared on G.NA's forhead.

"What did you say?" she hissed. Brian shrugged.

"It's the fact. I won't like. You just won't cooperate with me. It seems like your always running away from me. And I'm being truthful, so don't take anything personally," Brian stated. G.NA blinked strangely at Brian.

"W-What do you mean?" G.NA asked.

"Never mind. E-Young, we're going to practice the dance steps. You can play the piano so we know when to do some of the steps," Brian ordered. E-Young slightly blushed and nodded.

"N-Neh," E-Young agreed, placing her delicate fingers on the piano. She started to press the keys gracefully, showing her elegant side. The students enjoyed the music, which helped them focus on their parts. G.NA sighed.

"She's so good!" G.NA envied.

"You're envying a lot. C'mon, we should get in position," Brian said, sitting on top of the grand piano. G.NA flipped her hair.

"That's a human characteristic. We envy a lot," G.NA pointed out.

"Then is a human characteristic also carrying lots of hatred, coldness, and anger?" Brian asked. G.NA blinked.

"Well… I guess it is," G.NA thought aloud, "But that'd probably be the demon's trait, right?" 

"G.NA," Brian started, "Why do you hate me?" G.NA stared at Brian. You couldn't tell what he was thinking since his bangs covered his eyes. G.NA smirked.

"Hm… where should I start?" G.NA mumbled, Brian's chest. Brian spun behind G.NA, his back facing hers.

"Anywhere. Just tell me," Brian said, as the piano started to get louder. G.NA smirked, as she slowly turned around and Brian's back.

"First… it's because of how you look," G.NA said.

"My looks?" Brian asked, raising an eyebrow. What's the matter about my looks? Am I that hideous? Brian wondered, turning to face G.NA. Their eyes met, until G.NA pushed Brian away.

"Yes! Everyone envies your looks. Girls go crazy when they just see your eyes. Boys want to be just like you, perfect and handsome," G.NA explained. Brian smirked.

"Someone's jealous," Brian mumbled, caressing G.NA's cheeks. G.NA scoffed. The piano softened up, as E-Young minded her own business. Secretly, she was eaves dropping on the two.

"Am not!" G.NA denied, turning quite red, "Anyways, two! Your act."

"What act? I'm being myself!" Brian exclaimed, shocked.

"That's what everyone thinks," G.NA laughed, tangling her fingers with Brian's. Brian placed his other free hand on G.NA's waist.

"I am acting myself, though," Brian mumbled.

"Oh really? There is not one person who is as perfect as you are! When you came to this school, you acted so innocent, when you're really evil," G.NA grumbled.

"Next," Brian said, blowing bangs irritatedly.

"The last one: Because you got popular so easily!" G.NA whined, sighing. Brian raised an eyebrow.

"What does popularity have to do with me?" Brian asked.

"Everything! Before you came, I was number one! Number one! But when you arrived, I bumped right down to number two! You are too good! You are too good to be true!" G.NA complained. She was entirely jealous at that moment. Brian just nodded.

"So you're jealous?" Brian asked.

"No. I just want to be popular."

"You're jealous."

"Who said I was?"

"I did."

"You know, ever since you came, you know what I've always wondered to myself? I've always thought–"

"G.NA unnie! Are you done talking? It's time to go!" IU interrupted. Brian and G.NA stopped dancing. They've noticed that the piano wasn't playing and everyone was gone. They blinked. Weren't there some people just a few minute ago? 

"Yeah, Brian hyung! C'mon, let's go!" Eunhyuk said, dragging Brian away. Brian wanted to stop Eunhyuk so that he could hear G.NA's last sentence, but of course, it was too late. Eunhyuk had already dragged Brian out the door, while they left the two girls alone. IU wiped her sweat with a towel.

"So unnie, do you think you did well during practice?" IU asked, tossing G.NA a clean, white towel. G.NA just nodded slowly. This isn't fair. He just needs to sing and flirt. I had to make friends and practice my vocals. I was the best in this school! But now, he stole my place, G.NA thought, gripping on her towel even tighter. But somehow, she loosened her grip quickly. She didn't feel like she should be mad at Brian anymore. She felt… somehow strange and different. It seemed to her like she had to soften up a bit.

Yeah, soften up a bit! You know how you can always gain more popularity by being friends with Brian! G.NA's angel side said gently, smiling brightly.

G.NA replied to this, by thinking: Yeah, you're right. Maybe it won't be that bad being friends with Brian-ssi.

Oh, no no no! No way, girl, you're not going to be friends with that man! You already used Eunhyuk! You won't want to put all IU's hard work in the trash! Plus, what difference will it make when you become friends with Brian? Girl, you better hate him with all your heart for the rest of your life! G.NA's devil side said in a girlish, evil tone, shaking its head shamefully.

I guess you might be right, G.NA thought, gripping tighter on her towel.

But G.NA! This is the only answer for you to gain all your popularity! Please listen to the angels for once! G.NA's angel side pleaded.

Why? Look, when you listened to me, you got all this! Popularity, fame, everything! Just follow my lead, and you'll get it all back! G.NA's devil side said. G.NA slowly felt uncomfortable. It was true that she had followed the bad side of her to gain all what she had now. But… now, she wasn't sure who to believe.

G.NA, think about it. How many friends did you have before? G.NA's angel asked. G.NA froze. Friends. How many friends did she have? There were too many to count.

How many friends do you have now? G.NA's angel quizzed. G.NA turned white as snow. How many friends did she have now? Everyone? Does all her fans count? If they don't, then does IU count? No, she's her slave! That left G.NA with no one. 

Suddenly, G.Na began to feel sick and ill. She collapsed on the ground, feeling weak and shaky. IU gasped.

"OMO! Unnie! Stay here, I'm going to get the nurse!" IU panicked, running out quickly to fetch the nurse. G.NA breathed heavily, her feelings mixing with her thoughts. A sudden image of Brian appeared in her mind. She gasped and shook her head quickly. What have you done, Brian? G.NA wondered. She was too busy with her crazy thoughts, she hadn't noticed how quickly her heart was beating.

Kungkungkungkung… it was beating faster than it was expected to beat.