Give Me Your Number

My Dancing Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3uscODqMY


Changjo looked at the fading figure that was Rachel, and confusion washed over his face for a moment. She sounded mad.
He walked inside, and saw her continuing to walk up to her classroom. He couldn’t help but watch her, seeing her shoulders hunched, her head down slightly...
“Ya! Jonghyun!” the teacher called from his classroom.
Changjo looked at the teacher and bowed. “Mianhae,” and he walked inside, sneaking one more glance at Rachel before going inside.

Rachel sat in her classroom, wondering if she was too harsh on him.
“Rachel, are you alright?” Seoul asked, looking at her.
“I'm fine.” Rachel replied quietly.
“How did the talk with Jonghyun go?”
“It was ok. Nothing special,” Rachel scribbled absently on her book. Seoul looked at her dejected figure, and wasn’t going to take no for an answer.
“Rachel, something happened.” Seoul started, looking at the teacher who was too busy reading from the textbook.
“It’s not worth notice. Stop talking about it.”
“Why do you sound so annoyed? You’re super edgy.”
“It’s not my fault he decided to win and become a member of an Idol group. It’s not my fault he wants me to talk to him, and I can’t cause...” Rachel trailed off, and started scribbling a little harder into her paper.
Seoul looked at her, mouth wide open. “HE’S BECOME WHAT?!”
The whole class looked at her with shock. Mizuki looked at them with a look that said they had some explaining to do. The teacher glared at Seoul, and Seoul bowed her head.
“Mianhae,” Seoul replied, and the teacher ‘hmphed’, resuming work.

Rachel bit her lip, trying her best to not start laughing. Seoul punched her arm, and Rachel gulped.
“That was your fault,” Seoul said sternly.
“Ne?! You’re the one who raised her voice.” Rachel realised her angry scribbling almost tore through the page. She saw the lighter scribbles forming a letter, then another, then another.
Until it read Teen Top.
Rachel used her anger to render it unreadable.
“Shut up. Now tell me the rest of what happened,” Seoul looked at her expectantly.
“I already told you.” Rachel replied.
“It didn’t sound like it. Tell me what really happened.”
“He...I...no.” Rachel focused on the blackboard.
“What? That made no sense.”
“Do I really have to tell you?” Rachel started glaring at the blackboard.
“Yes, you do. Now.” Seoul poked her arm.
“He asked why I ran at auditions, I told him because I haven’t seen him dance before. He asked if I was waiting for their auditions. I said maybe. He asked when we’ll see each other next. I said 4 months.”
Seoul nodded. “That’s all?”
Rachel nodded back. “All of it.”
“Okay.” Seoul looked at the board, and wrote down the page numbers for homework.

***

The bell rang for lunch, and Rachel went out with the rest of the group to their spot under the tree. Changjo went with his old group, but he still felt as if Teen Top was his real group, despite them only being together for a few weeks. Rachel started to eat, occasionally throwing the celery out of her rice. Her mother pestered her to use all the celery in the fridge, and she did so by cooking it then throwing it.
Rachel absolutely hated celery.
On the other hand, Seoul had a box full of vegetables. She was particularly fond of pickled ginger. Mizuki took an occasional grape to , eating lightly even after stating she was morbidly obese.
Mizuki was no-where near obese. Not even large.
“I think Jonghyun has a thing for your company,” Seoul said.
Rachel looked at her. “Why?”
“He’s coming here.” Seoul replied.
Rachel frowned, and saw Jonghyun walking towards them. He caught her eye, and pointed towards an empty bench, mouthing, “Do you mind?”

Rachel felt her head move from side to side, and she mentally slapped herself. I have to control myself. She thought.  Rachel stood up, and walked to the empty bench, Changjo not using much effort to keep up. They both sat down, and Changjo heaved a sigh.
“What?” Rachel asked quietly.
“Can I have your number?” Changjo replied, and looked at her with a smile that could kill.
Rachel felt her breath hitch, and she blinked.
“What?” Rachel felt her lips move.
Changjo repeated himself. “Can I have your number?”
“What for?” Rachel replied.

For a second, she thought that Changjo was asking her out. But it couldn’t be true. She was no-where near good enough.

That was how a one-sided love was supposed to be.

“I need it.” He said.
“For?”
“I want to check up on you Rachel.”

Wait, check up? What am I, a dog?!Rachel frowned.

“Why do I need checking up on?” She retorted.
Changjo heard the annoyance in her voice, and he laughed.
Rachel was new to the sound, and she let in linger in head for awhile.
“Because you’re my friend. That’s what friends do. Someday, you’ll need me, and I’ll need you.” Changjo felt wise at the words he chose.
Rachel contemplated running away from him, but she couldn’t. The only words she heard in her head were “I’ll need you.”
“Give me your hand, before I change my mind,” Rachel whispered, taking a pen out.

Changjo wilfully held his hand out, and Rachel took it. A moment of silence passed between them as Rachel held his hand. She noticed it was warm. Changjo noticed her hand was cold.

It was almost like she needed his warmth.

Rachel scribbled her number on his palm, and let go, blushing wildly.

“Gomawo, Rachel. I’ll see you...in 4 months?” Changjo laughed again.
Rachel nodded. “4 months...” and she watched him walk away.