Ignorance is Bliss

My Dancing Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QuqXPPhD5M


Rachel stared at the instant Ramen that was in her bowl, and decided to stir it lazily with her chopsticks. Her mother sat across from her, and was happily eating away her own bowl of instant ramen.
“Umma,” Rachel began.
“Hm?” her mother replied, still eating.
“Are you going to be late tomorrow night as well?”
“Most probably. I think we should stock up on the instant Ramen,” she laughed, and ate some more.
“Umma, you worry me. Are you sure we should just have this every time you come home late?”
“It’s fine Rachel. I like it. How about you?”

Rachel looked down at her bowl, and pouted. “Its...ok.”
Her mother saw the cloudy gaze in her eyes. “Something wrong?”
If Rachel told her mother about her crush on Jonghyun, she didn’t know whether it would be a good thing, or bad.
“Nothing. School was boring. How’s Appa?”
“He’s holding up like always.” Her mother drank the soup from the bowl.

Rachel willed herself to eat, and eventually gave up, retreating to her room. She opened up her outdated and battered laptop, and waited for the internet to load. Her homepage popped up with a new article.
Introducing Teen Top: 2010’s new boy group.
A picture was beneath it, showing six boys who all looked extremely alike due to their similar hair colours and their outfits. Rachel immediately saw Jonghyun and she felt her eyes widen and jaw drop.
“He made it,” she whispered. She started to look at the others, and saw that they were all pretty attractive. As she read the article, she saw that they were going to debut in July. It was March.
Aigoo! It’s going to be three months. She thought with a sigh. With one last look at the picture, she closed the homepage, and turned her laptop off.

***

Changjo felt extremely awkward with the camera flashing. He never had this many photos of him taken at the one time. He stood beside his fellow members, who were all introduced to each other earlier before the photo shoot. The photographer continued to hold down the shutter button, smiling in approval as the six teens stood in front of a white screen. As the flash blinded Changjo momentarily, he was nudged.
“Changjo, are you tired?”
He looked beside him to see a shorter boy who still had his baby face.
“A little bit. Ricky, right?”
He nodded brightly. “Uh huh. The lights are blinding.”
“They are...” But I wish I was back at Tae Kwon Do.
Their schedule consisted of learning the dance to their debut song, ‘Clap’ and recording their mini album, ‘Come into the world’.  Changjo felt content with their activities, he liked the dance, and soon found out that he wasn’t such a bad singer either. But he still felt like he was missing something.

He decided to put it off until later. For now, he needed to focus on his new career.

***

Rachel woke up with a start, her alarm blaring in her ear. She fumbled for the snooze switch, before sitting up and looking at the time. It was five, and she was in no mood to go downstairs and eat breakfast. She lay back down, and soon, the alarm started to ring again as soon as her eyes closed. She groaned, and with a lot of mental resistance, managed to get out of bed and trudge down the stairs. As she reached the bottom, a searing pain shot up her right leg, and stayed on her knee. She bit her lip, and stood still, waiting for the pain to fade. She had an accident a month ago during Tae Kwon Do where she dislocated her knee.

It was never the same since then. If her knee was hurting now, she was in no state to go to her lesson today. The sharp pain became a dull ache, and she walked to the kitchen, where her mum set up breakfast complete with a note.

I left early in case they needed me. I might be late again since its Friday, but you know where the Ramen is.

Love, Mum

Rachel set the note on the fridge, on top of the previous ones she left during the week. She grabbed the phone and dialled the dojo, telling them she couldn’t make it. As soon as she hung up, her mobile went off, vibrating the table. The lights were flashing, and she glanced at the ID.
“Why on earth are you calling this early?” Rachel asked sleepily into her mobile.
“Something happened at the school today. Looks like we have a day off,” Seoul replied, sounding equally sleepy.
“Couldn’t you tell me later in the morning? You’re not a morning person, what possessed you to wake up?”
“I have no idea. My mum walked in and told me. Since then I couldn’t go back to sleep.”
“Do you want to go out today?”
A few seconds of silence occurred on the other line.
“Seoul?” Rachel asked, frowning.
More silence.
“Seoul??” Rachel asked again.
She could hear deep breathing on the other end, and realised that Seoul fell asleep. With a small grin Rachel hung up, and started to eat her breakfast. It consisted of a bowl of honey flakes, a piece of toast and a lollypop. Why the lollypop was there, Rachel didn’t know. Maybe it was for the walk to school. She smiled at the thought of her unique mother, and she continued to eat, eventually getting up to turn the radio on to kill the silence.