A Kiss on New Year's Eve

Secret Angel

 

 I woke Changmin up at exactly eight fifteen. He jolted up feeling nervous and shaky again but then he eventually got to his senses. “I’m going now.”

“You sure? Want me to come with you?” I said teasing.

“It’s a date Kyuhyun. You know, a boy and a girl. Going to movies or restaurants alone?” Changmin said, emphasizing the last word.

Really. I was asking but that was supposed to be a statement. I waved to the tall guy as he scooted out of my apartment. “I’ll call you later. Thanks Kyu!” Changmin called out before completely leaving my house.

I stayed silent in front of my screen and threw the controls on my bed. Changmin. I just hate you. Geez.

 

Minutes later I found myself walking in the streets of the city, my eyes wandering from right to left looking for two tall figures. I went to the park and to no avail, I found no one there. I figured that they might be in the chapel so I went there as well. But still no Sooyoung nor Changmin.

My tummy started to kick so I decided to go eat something warm. I traced the place and remembered that Changmin’s favorite Japanese restaurant was somewhere near. They served the best ramen in town.  On the way to the shop, I cursed myself for being so shallow and stupid and for not wearing any thick covers under the thick snow.

The shop was full when I got there, but since Changmin and I were regulars, the manager got me a table.

“Why aren’t you with the tall guy?” the old ahjusshi said.

He’s on some date with a girl that I might actually like.

“He’s on a date.” I smiled. “Can I get a bowl of ramen please?”

“Sure, sure. It’ll be my treat since you’re my favorite customer.” The old man laughed his way to the counter and pointed at me while giving instructions to the waiters. I just love the couple who owns the place.

 

“Here’s your ramen sir.” The waitress smiled. She was a new employee, I guessed. She had narrow eyes and thick eyelashes that suited her pouting lips. Her hair was long and brown and curly and was neatly tied into a braid. Her name tag spelled Victoria.

“You’re new here aren’t you? I mean, I always come here but I haven’t seen you here yet.”

“Yes, I’m new here… sir… Please enjoy your meal.”

I nodded when she smiled. “Thank you…Victoria-sshi.”
 

I stared at her as she walked to the counter and talked to the employees there. She had a fit body. Which as was good. But the fact that I was actually staring at her wasn’t that good…

Wow, ever since I got to know Secret Angel, I really stare at women a lot. Sigh. But it’s okay. Staring at women is what the boys love best. I don’t really know why but there’s something about this Victoria girl. Maybe I find her comfortable…?

Victoria didn’t fail to glance at me every now and then and I just stared in return. Sometimes I’d give her a shy smile or I’d look away. Just as I was about to stand up and leave the restaurant, I heard a very familiar and cheerful voice calling out to me. “Kyuhyun!”

 When I turned around, I saw the ever smiling face of Choi Sooyoung and the now-ruined face of Shim Changmin. “Hey.” Changmin waved.

“I didn’t expect you two to be here?” I said a little too scripted in tone… a little too scripted that I know Changmin might be suspecting.

Sooyoung grabbed Changmin’s arm and led to an empty table. I didn’t follow them instead I headed for the door. I knew Changmin wasn’t really that happy accidentally seeing me there during their date. And being the best friend he could ever have, I had to stay out of this perfect night. I didn’t want to ruin our relationship because of my unsure feelings towards a mysterious girl.

“Kyuhyun!” Sooyoung called out again. This time, she was outside, chasing after me. “Won’t you come and eat dinner with us?” She was obviously out of breath from chasing and pink because of the cold.

I stared at her cute features and could only shake my head. “I don’t want to come in between you and Changmin’s night together. That would be mean.”

She swallowed the lump that seemed to be stuck inside and smile. “Okay.” She paused, thinking. “A very happy new year to you then!” she shouted as I walked slowly away from her.

At that time, I didn’t know which made me happier; the fact that I saw her or the fact that she sent me a greeting… or the fact that she chased me to invite me.

 

That night, during the countdown, I sat alone in the park and waited for the fireworks display at the town park. I hugged myself inside my thin cloth. As the countdown started from 20, I already looked up.

19, 18, 17,

“Lookie here… if it isn’t the goofy customer earlier.”

16, 15, 14…

I recognized the voice but it wasn’t that remembered by my brain yet. I was sure though that the voice came from a familiar being. When I turned to see who it was, I was sort of shocked at the sight of her.

12, 11, 10, 9…

“Hey… You’re that new employee earlier! Hi…” I paused vaguely, trying to remember the name on her name tag. “Victoria-sshi…”

“Hello. My I sit?” she gestured at the small space next to me and smiled.

8, 7, 6, 5….

“Sure. You can watch the fireworks with me. Are you alone though?”

The countdown didn’t stop. Until it reached, 3, 2, 1…

“No… Not anymore….”

With the fireworks light illuminating the outline of Victoria’s face, she never looked more beautiful even with just the small moment we’ve shared together.

“It’s pretty, isn’t it?”

I nodded at her question.

The next thing I knew was that she was kissing me. Okay. That was. How do you say it? Weird. Yet, comforting. Warm.

I didn’t kiss her back. But she kissed me. Long enough to plant it on my memory.

 

Christmas break ran like a daze. Classes returned and everything went back to normal. I was back at my desk inside the office and Changmin was occasionally visiting me (actually, he goes there to visit Sooyoung and not me).

More shocking news I found was when I was covering for the school’s sports festival. There were lots of competitions and I happened to be assigned in the gymnastics category. I was with Sooyoung since she volunteered to replace my photographer who was sick at that time.

When we arrived at the gym, not much people were there.  I saw bunch of hoobaes and sunbaes and batchmates doing warm up stretches.

“Let’s go over there.” Sooyoung suggested pointing to the benches.

There was this girl who neatly tied her hair into a bun and her head appeared to be a small ball. It was very circular. She wore a red silky jacket as well, giving this awesome ‘you’re-so-out-of-my-league’ vibe.

 I held my laugh in, not wanting to let Sooyoung know what I was thinking, or better yet, making fun of.

As we went closer, I realized that the girl was the one who kissed me on New Year’s Eve. Victoria!

She saw me and her eyes widened. She gave off a happy expression as she dashed towards our direction. “Hey there.” She said, smiling to both Sooyoung and I. Sooyoung gave off a puzzled look as she stared at my unprintable face.

“You… know… each other?” Sooyoung muttered, raising an eyebrow while pointing at me.

I smiled sheepishly, panicking while thinking of a convincing answer.

The Kiss.

“We spent New Year’s Eve together.” Victoria answered.

 

---------

 

Author's Note: Anyeong Haseyo!!!! Hey guys! I am really really really sorry about my updates really. I'm just so busy these days. And summer doesn't make it any different as well. I have three summer classes and I need to get passing grades if I want to graduate College on time. Also, a friend of mine has been bugging me to write a fanfic about him and Taeyeon of SNSD since he is drop dead in love with her. I'm kind of making his story my priority because I want to give it as a farewell gift since he is leaving for Cebu next month so I really need to finish it as well. 

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading the update because that won't be the last! And I think my brain is working pretty good nowadays, I keep on thinking about good twists and turns for Secret Angel. So I hope you stay tuned! Please send me some love! Thank you very much! Read my next update as well okay?

Comments are loved! God bless!!!