Christmas Eve

Secret Angel

 

“Aaah, it’s that journal of yours.” Sooyoung sat beside me on the garden grounds.

“I found it in this place you know.” I said inhaling the fresh cold air.

“Really?” she hugged her knees as she propped more comfortably. “I really like this place you know. Especially during winter. I like watching the snow fall down and I’d catch them in my palm and play with them. And it’s almost Christmas! The closing ceremony will be on the 24th.”

“Yeah. Christmas. Time goes really fast. You don’t notice how time is running, and that sometimes, you forget to make every moment count. That’s just sad.”

“Yeah.” Sooyoung said, her volume as low as a whisper. “What are you going to do on the 24th?” she then asked me, changing the mood. Clearly she doesn’t like to be all sentimental and stuff.

“Nothing really, I mean, my family is at an out of the country conference and I’m the only one left here. Why do you ask?”

“I thought you might want to come with me and to play my viola in the park. I do it every Christmas Eve, I play and then the money I get after playing will go to the children in the orphanage sponsored by the chapel.” She paused to take a long breathe. “Changmin-sshi is also coming so I thought you might want to come as well.” She suggested while fidgeting with her fingers.

Trust me, if you weren’t the apple of the eye of Changmin right now, I’d definitely and absolutely go. But you are so, “I guess I’ll pass.”

“Why not?”

“I’m…” as hard as I thought of an excuse, nothing convincing really came out. All I said was sorry and then I just went off. I hate myself.

 

At the office, I was typing some articles again when Changmin came in. He didn’t even knock. “Hey, guess who’s going on a date with a pretty violist this Christmas eve.”

“I know that Sooyoung asked and I also know that it’s not a date.” I replied, my eyes stuck on the monitor. “She asked me to come as well.”

“WHAT?!”

I nodded, teasing Changmin out of his paranoid body.

“WHY’D SHE ASK YOU TO COME?”

I shrugged my shoulders, grinning evilly at the tall guy.

“AND WHAT SMART AND VERY LOYAL ANSWER DID YOU SAY?”

He had to emphasize the word loyal. Trust me, I’m not. “I said I’d love to come and hear her play the viola.”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~” Changmin dropped on his knees just like the ones you see in movies and held his hands to his face.

“Shut up Changmin, I was only joking. The hell I’d come.”

“I love you Kyu.” Changmin hugged me choking me to death.

“Let… go… now…” I said, slapping his big toned arms.

 

 

December 24.

After all the waiting. It’s finally Christmas. After the ceremony today, I went to the school garden and watched the snow fall down. I was thinking of how it might have felt when the girl in ‘A Millionaire’s First Love’ when she was able to see the snow fall right before she died. I don’t know. I mean, it’s not even real. It was such a good movie though. Made me cry my tears out until my eyes were all puffed and red.

So anyways, the winter this year is really colder than the usual but I still like it. I especially like the snow because I can play it when it reaches my palm. Winter is such a cold season but the feeling everyone has is really warm.

Oh yeah, I’m going to play in the park again tonight. I hope my viola doesn’t get affected with the cold weather.

 

Wait. Viola? And the snow too…

I like watching the snow fall down and I’d catch them in my palm and play with them. Sooyoung said the same thing. And doesn’t she play the viola as well?

No way. It must have been just a coincidence. That’s not true. I continued to read the entry as I denied the possibility of Sooyoung being Secret Angel.

The kids in the orphan will be so happy when I can bring home some delicious food. I wisd I can do more for them. Really. They are like my family already. I love them so much.

Secret Angel

No way.

 

Christmas Eve went a little too fast. Since I told Sooyoung and Changmin that I’d pass in their little fund raising concert I sat on the couch in our living room staring at the little journal. I recalled all the entries and read it again.

There was just no way Sooyoung could be Secret Angel. I mean, yes she is tall but that doesn’t mean that her English name is Summer right? I didn’t want to wait for destiny to give me the answer. I wanted to know right now.

But what if I am really in love with Secret Angel? What if Secret Angel is Sooyoung and I happened to be deeply in love with her? What am I going to do with Changmin? Will I be the one to step out of the picture? Then if that’s the case, I’d waste everything that Yoona did for me.

I didn’t want that.

 

---

The snow covered the whole pavement surrounding the park. Sooyoung placed her viola down and signaled Changmin that she thought the spot was okay to perform in. Changmin smiled back at her and helped her set up her viola. Changmin opened the case and handed Sooyoung the instrument while he placed a yellow handkerchief on the case. The tall man stepped backwards and waited for Sooyoung to begin her performance.

With a great heave of a sigh, Sooyoung placed her viola on her shoulder and raised the bow. She closed her eyes and moved her arm slowly, producing a cold sound perfect for the season. At that point, Changmin didn’t want to move anywhere far from Sooyoung. He wanted to hear what she played and how she played it. He wanted to see her contented smile while playing the stringed instrument.

He wanted to know more about her. A lot more.

---

 

 

10:58 pm. December 24.

This is the most boring Christmas in my entire life. I wish I had gone to Sooyoung’s little fund raising. Sigh. Well, it wouldn’t hurt if I’d go and check it right now right? Bleh.

I stood up eager to get the door and go outside already. But then my was too heavy that I sat down again, feeling a little guilty. Do I really want to go and spoil Changmin’s moment with Sooyoung? Even I’m not that heartless.

But I won’t be as heartless if they don’t see me right?

 

Although, it was snowing, the park was filled with people. There were couples and there were families all over the park. At the center of the ark were most of the people had gathered, I saw a slim girl smiling towards her audience while playing her wooden instrument.

She had a beautiful and contented smile painted on her face and she was obviously happy. She wore a white sweater, probably with the size bigger than hers and skinny pants matched with snow boots. A case was opened in front of her.

All of the people who gathered around her were happy and smiling as well. It was like she was connecting to them through her piece.

I paused behind the sea of people. I didn’t force myself to be seen. I just stayed there, listening to her music. I liked her music. I liked her music ever since I first listened to it in the chapel.

Sooyoung’s gaze was at her viola while playing then it traveled to a guy somewhere in front of her. She smiled and I knew that it was Changmin who was staring at her too. Again, her gaze shifted from one random person to the other. And then, as if it was just a dream or a mere glimpse, she saw me.

Her eyes seemed to be shocked at the sight of me but then it returned to its warm spark. A smile formed as she closed her eyes and continued to play.

I didn’t know what happened but I do know that it made me happy that I came. Regardless of the fact that Sooyoung is Secret Angel and she and Changmin might be falling for each other right now. I am kind of happy.

No. Scratch the word kind. I am happy.

 

Author's Note: Anyeong!~ Hehe. This will be my last update for this week. Please enjoy! :)